[✔️] August 20, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Aug 20 11:11:33 EDT 2021

/*August 20, 2021*/

[not fast enough OPINION GUEST ESSAY ]
*This Is the World Being Left to Us by Adults*
Aug. 19, 2021
By Greta Thunberg, Adriana Calderón, Farzana Faruk Jhumu and Eric Njuguna
The authors are youth climate activists from Sweden, Mexico, Bangladesh
and Kenya, working with the international youth-led Fridays For Future
movement.

Last week, some of the world’s leading climate change scientists
confirmed that humans are making irreversible changes to our planet and
extreme weather will only become more severe. This news is a “code red
for humanity,” said the United Nations secretary general.

It is — but young people like us have been sounding this alarm for
years. You just haven’t listened.

On Aug. 20, 2018, one child staged a lone protest outside the Swedish
Parliament, expecting to stay for three weeks. Tomorrow we will mark
three years since Greta Thunberg’s strike. Even earlier, brave young
people from around the world spoke out about the climate crisis in their
communities. And today, millions of children and young people have
united in a movement with one voice, demanding that decision makers do
the work necessary to save our planet from the unprecedented heat waves,
massive floods and vast wildfires we are increasingly witnessing. Our
protest will not end until the inaction does.

For children and young people, climate change is the single greatest
threat to our futures. We are the ones who will have to clean up the
mess you adults have made, and we are the ones who are more likely to
suffer now. Children are more vulnerable than adults to the dangerous
weather events, diseases and other harms caused by climate change, which
is why a new analysis released Friday by UNICEF is so important.

The Children’s Climate Risk Index provides the first comprehensive view
of where and how this crisis affects children. It ranks countries based
on children’s exposure to climate and environmental shocks, as well as
their underlying vulnerability to those shocks.

It finds that virtually every child on the planet is exposed to at least
one climate or environmental hazard right now. A staggering 850 million,
about a third of all the world’s children, are exposed to four or more
climate or environmental hazards, including heat waves, cyclones, air
pollution, flooding or water scarcity. A billion children, nearly half
the children in the world, live in “extremely high risk” countries, the
UNICEF researchers report.

This is the world being left to us. But there is still time to change
our climate future. Around the world, our movement of young activists
continues to grow.

In Bangladesh, Tahsin Uddin, 23, saw the impacts of climate change in
his village and other coastal areas and was moved to action. He is
passionate about climate education and has created a network of young
journalists and educators to spread awareness, all while organizing
cleanups of waterways teeming with plastic waste pollution.

In the Philippines, Mitzi Jonelle Tan, 23, has had to complete her
homework by candlelight as typhoons raged outside and wiped out her
community’s electricity. She told us there were times she was afraid of
drowning in her own bedroom as water flooded in. Now she is leading
youth in her country to respond to the aftermath of those typhoons and
other hazards through sharing food, water, clothes and support with the
most affected communities.

In Zimbabwe, Nkosi Nyathi, 18, is worried about a potential food crisis
if weather patterns continue. Heat waves made school a challenging
experience for him and his peers. Now he speaks to leaders from around
the world to demand the inclusion of young people in decisions that
affect their future.

The fundamental goal of the adults in any society is to protect their
young and do everything they can to leave a better world than the one
they inherited. The current generation of adults, and those that came
before, are failing at a global scale.

The Children’s Climate Risk Index reveals a disturbing global inequity
when it comes to the worst effects of climate change. Thirty-three
countries, including the Central African Republic, Chad, Nigeria and
Guinea, are considered extremely high-risk for children, but those
countries collectively emit just 9 percent of global carbon dioxide
emissions. The 10 countries with the highest emissions, including China,
the United States, Russia and Japan, collectively account for nearly 70
percent of global emissions. And children in those higher-emitting
states face lower risks: Only one of these countries, India, is ranked
as extremely high-risk in the UNICEF report.

Many higher-risk countries are poorer nations from the global south, and
it’s there that people will be most impacted, despite contributing the
least to the problem. We will not allow industrialized countries to duck
responsibility for the suffering of children in other parts of the
world. Governments, industry and the rest of the international community
must work together to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, as 195 nations
committed to do in the Paris Climate Agreement of 2015.

We have less than 100 days until the U.N. Climate Change Conference,
also known as COP26, in Glasgow. The world’s climate scientists have
made it clear that the time is now — we must act urgently to avoid the
worst possible consequences. The world’s young people stand with the
scientists and will continue to sound the alarm.

We are in a crisis of crises. A pollution crisis. A climate crisis. A
children’s rights crisis. We will not allow the world to look away.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/opinion/climate-un-report-greta-thunberg.html

[a terrific video everyone should see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcMLFMsIVis]
*How We Fix the Climate*
Aug 13, 2021
vlogbrothers
We should act as if this is an emergency, because it is. But part of
that is understanding the tools and strategies countries are using to
decarbonize and stabilize the climate. This is work that's already being
done. We have already decoupled economic growth from the emission of
greenhouse gasses which, frankly, was unthinkable just a couple decades
ago.

We need to be thinking and talking about this stuff, and one really
important piece of that is understanding this stuff so we can talk about
it and advocate for it. And, good news, it's all actually pretty
fascinating!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcMLFMsIVis

[Video discussion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr2FHfVNX6w]
*We need a new UN Security Council For Climate Change*
Aug 19, 2021
Nick Breeze
View more at https://genn.cc or support/join via https://patreon.com/genncc
This edited clip includes two excerpts from 2 consecutive interviews
looking at the need for cross border multilateral bodies to take
decisions in the interests of global citizens addressing the climate
crisis. This is part of the Shaping The Future podcast series.

Sir David King was Chief Scientific Adviser to the UK government for
many years and now chairs both the Centre for Climate Repair in
Cambridge and the Climate Crisis Advisory Group.
Dr Chad Briggs advises many organisations including the EU, US Defence
and NATO on the intersection between global security and climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr2FHfVNX6w

[Deep Sarcasm from Stephen Colbert - video brief]
*Come Visit The Colorado River*
Aug 18, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjFztBeAJDg

[ IPCC report summarized in a 7 minute video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0lCBjMgvg]
*The latest IPCC report explained in 7.5 minutes*
Aug 9, 2021
zentouro

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change just released their latest
assessment report on the physical science basis of climate change. If
the last few reports are any indication, we're hopefully going to see a
groundswell of climate action -- here are my highlights of the report
and a bit about how you can use its information to fight the climate
crisis.

Read the Summary for Policymakers: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/#SPM
Read the IPCC’s FAQ: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/#FAQ

The IPCC Interactive Atlas: https://interactive-atlas.ipcc.ch/

If you're feeling overwhelmed by the content of this report, or just
looking for tools to combat climate dread, despair or eco-anxiety, here
are the places I turn for guidance:

watch ClimateAdams's explainer that has an important section on AMOC
https://youtu.be/b-IPsCWVIRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0lCBjMgvg

- -

[A young man deliver another video explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpG7di07E4 ]
*Good news and bad news from the IPCC report*
Aug 13, 2021
Simon Clark
Climate change will define the 21st century. Learn more about the
subject with CuriosityStream: https://www.curiositystream.com/Simon...

The latest report from the IPCC makes for grim reading, but I think
hidden in the pages there are also some pieces of good news. I talk
about both in this video.

Professor Mat Collins: https://twitter.com/mat_collins
Check out my website! https://www.simonoxfphys.com/
In this video I talk about the latest report from the Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change or IPCC, the IPCC WG1 AR6. I interview a
professor of climate change at the University of Exeter, Mat Collins,
and talk through some of the findings of the IPCC report. These include
the impact of ENSO on crop yields, drought, heatwaves, extreme weather,
and other factors. Basically stop putting carbon into the atmosphere,
it's that simple guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpG7di07E4

[father of the tipping point]
*Climate Thinkers: John Schellnhuber*
Jul 14, 2021
Svenska Dagbladet SvD
Have we passed the climate change tipping points?

The Gulf stream, the Amazon, the Greenland ice sheet – are they all
close to a point of no return? And if so, what does that mean for the
Earth? John Schellnhuber is the world-renowned researcher behind the
concept of "tipping points" in the climate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9sJsU7oaE

--

[One of the great interviews]
*John Schellnhuber: NonLinear Responses to save civilisation*

- -

[Lecture from 2019]
*Professor John Schellnhuber - A Climate Odyssey CCLS 2019*
Feb 25, 2019
Cambridge Climate Lecture Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvgi6vXKzYk

[Follow the money]
*"Oil companies bought legislation," WARNS Katie Porter*
Aug 14, 2021
The Hill
In a social media video, Congresswoman Katie Porter accused the oil and
gas companies of buying legislation that works for them through lobbying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF9nMEB3ptk

[Rookie journalist talks of the disinformation battlegrounds]
*Does the media accurately cover climate change?*
Aug 18, 2021
Beckisphere
This week, we looked at the news from August 12 to 17th. Let's keep the
conversation going in the comments section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JZZxzZDsDc

[2 year old classic video Scientific and goofy, or interesting, or both]
*Where to move for the climate apocalypse (w/ climate scientist Josh
Willis) • Hotpocalypse • #1*
Jan 12, 2019
Hotpocalypse
Where are some good places to live when climate change accelerates even
further? Rising sea levels will dramatically alter our coastlines.
Climate scientist Josh Willis and comedian Andy Cobb discuss how the
climate apocalypse will effect some major cities, including Marina Del
Rey, Seattle, Chicago, and Atlanta.

Want to know how sea level rise will effect your city? You can view how
the surging seas will effect your area here:
http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/

This was originally livestreamed to the Facebook page "Being Liberal" on
1/11/19. In this upload, we swapped out a segment that had an audio
issue during the livestream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QloHSXk_zaQ

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming August 20, 2013*
August 20, 2013:

Al Jazeera America debuts, featuring a critically-acclaimed discussion
of climate change featuring climate scientists Heidi Cullen and Michael
Mann.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/08/21/what-al-jazeera-america-didnt-say-about-climate/195510

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry