[✔️] December 6, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Dec 6 10:09:04 EST 2021

/*December 6, 2021*/

/[  Director admits new movie comedy is really about the climate crisis
-- video] /
*"Don't Look Up," an apocalyptic comedy*
Dec 5, 2021
CBS Sunday Morning
Can you play an existential crisis for laughs? Correspondent Tracy Smith
talks with stars Meryl Streep and Leonardo DiCaprio, and with
writer-director Adam McKay (an Oscar-winner for "The Big Short"), about
"Don't Look Up," a satire about Earth's impending collision with a comet
that offers a comical analogy to climate change – and mankind's
reluctance to deal with it.

"CBS Sunday Morning" features stories on the arts, music, nature,
entertainment, sports, history, science and Americana, and highlights
unique human accomplishments and achievements. Check local listings for
CBS Sunday Morning broadcast times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9QytmUW0w

/[  Potholer 54 does not suffer fools gladly --  29 min video explains
the science of sea level rise ] /
*If ocean levels are rising, why can't we see it?*
Dec 5, 2021
potholer54
Compare two photos 130 years apart and it looks as though sea levels
haven't moved. So why all the fuss about rising sea levels and
evacuating islands? This video closes the yawning gap between internet
myths and science...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRlSGKddJE

/[  video event - free registration for the event on Dec 6th 4PM EST ]/
*Climate Change: Anxiety to Action*
You are invited to a thought-provoking panel discussion to help you turn
climate anxiety into action!

Climate change experts are coming together for one day only to discuss
ideas, suggestions and solutions to help turn our concern about the
climate crisis into action.

Climate anxiety refers to feelings of grief, stress and hopelessness
about the long-term impacts of climate change, according to a 2017
report by the American Psychological Association.

Register for the event and take charge against your anxiety./
/

//Rebecca Weston, psychotherapist, activist, with climate scientist
Susanne Moser, activist Laura Zarta and Fridays-for-Future Toronto
founder, Aliénor Rougeot.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-from-anxiety-to-action-tickets-206571279257

- -

/[ clip from essay in Sage Reference Handbook of
Environmental////Leadership,  accepted for publication ]/

*GETTING REAL ABOUT IT: MEETING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL AND SOCIAL DEMANDS OF
A WORLD IN DISTRESS*
Susanne C. Moser, Ph.D.

    “With our lives we make our answers all the time, to this ravenous,
    beautiful, mutilated,
    gorgeous world.” Nothing could ring more true to someone who chooses
    to commit to
    environmental leadership in these times. I frame this chapter by the
    words of a religious leader,
    Unitarian minister Victoria Safford, and those of a passionate
    educator, visionary engineer, and
    activist scientist, David Orr, to name the enormous task before us –
    active and conscious
    transformation in the face of a mutilated and yet gorgeous world. A
    world in a degree of crisis
    that many are not fully aware of, and those that are, would rather
    deny or avoid.

    Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.
        -- Edward Abbey (1990)

http://www.susannemoser.com/documents/Moser_chapterfinaldraft_accepted.pdf

/[   from political history  -- 12 min audio ]
/*Bob Inglis: How I changed my mind about climate change*
December 3, 202111:57 AM ET
Heard on TED Radio Hour

Bob Inglis is the executive director of the Energy and Enterprise
Initiative (republicEn.org) at George Mason University.

Previously, he served as a U.S. congressman for the state of South
Carolina from 1993-1999 and again from 2005-2011. Inglis was a resident
fellow at Harvard University's Institute of Politics in 2011, a Visiting
Energy Fellow at Duke University's Nicholas School of the Environment in
2012, and a resident fellow at the University of Chicago's Institute of
Politics in 2014. In 2015, he was awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in
Courage Award for his work on climate change.

Inglis earned a bachelor's in political science from Duke University and
his JD from the University of Virginia School of Law.

This segment of TED Radio Hour was produced by Fiona Geiran and edited
by Sanaz Meshkinpour. You can follow us on Twitter @TEDRadioHour and
email us at TEDRadio at npr.org.
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/03/1061214253/bob-inglis-how-i-changed-my-mind-about-climate-change

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming December 6, 2005*
December 6, 2005: At the American Geophysical Union meeting in
California, James Hansen delivers a speech entitled: "Is There Still
Time to Avoid ‘Dangerous Anthropogenic Interference’ with Global Climate?"

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2005/Keeling_20051206.pdf