[✔️] December 10, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Dec 10 08:05:35 EST 2021

/*December 10, 2021*/
//
/[  Bill McKibben comments on COP26 ]/
*Banksliding and CalPERSiflage*
Adventures in High-End Greenwashing
Bill McKibben
A long time ago, in a mythical realm called Glasgow COP 26, the world’s
banks and assorted financiers piously assured us all that they were
deeply serious about solving the climate crisis—many of them had even
worked out an acronym, GFANZ, or Global Finance Alliance for Net Zero,
to serve as the vessel for their concern.

Now they’ve left behind that fantastical kingdom, however, and
Gulfstreamed back to the mundane world where avarice rules. And so
they’ve begun to, as it were, bankslide. A few developments:

Global banks have turned on the money spigot for big oil. GFANZ stalwart
Chase Bank “has underwritten some $2.5 billion in bond deals for
companies like Gazprom PJSC and Continental Resources Inc., equivalent
to the same period in previous years,” while Wells Fargo has managed to
double the amount of cash it’s handing over to the climate-wreckers.

Blackrock, world’s largest pile of cash, has decided to lead a group
that will invest $15.5 billion in Saudi Arabia’s natural-gas pipelines
as the kingdom, in Bloomberg’s words, “opens up more to foreign
companies and looks to fund a huge increase in fossil-fuel production.”

And to make their greenwashing job a little easier, Exxon released
another cloud of smoke, promising to reduce emissions 20 % by 2030. No,
wait, they promised to reduce “Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions” by 20% by
2030, which is to say the emissions from their, operations, not their,
you know, product. Look for a lot of electric Ford F-150 pickups
prowling the Permian.

It’s very clear that these guys have not committed to the public
good—that so far their words are worthless. All of which means,
basically, that civil society has no option but push harder—much
harder—on the financial system.

And the perfect place to begin would be California, where a new report
from Stand.earth makes clear that the public employee pension
fund—CalPERS—and the teachers pension fund—CalSTRS—are the two biggest
pension funds in the country, and among the biggest investors in the
fossil fuel industry. Other big players: the Chicago teachers pension
fund, Massachusetts public employees, and New York teachers; taken
together, pension funds like these have about $81 billion invested in
wrecking the planet. California teachers cannot seriously want their
money fueling forest fires—and indeed county by county educators are
standing up to the grandees that manage their retirement accounts. But
they need to prevail soon, because climate change is happening now.

And it can happen. Inspired campaigns have freed pensioners from this
moral burden (and financial drag) in New York City, Maine, Boston, San
Diego, Quebec, Holland—on and on. Divestment has been the most
widespread, and among the most effective, manifestations of the public
demand for climate action, and it can keep spreading.

We just need to cut through the tangle of duplicitous verbiage that has
become the weapon of choice for the fossil fuel industry and the
financiers that orbit them. Yes to plain-speaking.
https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/banksliding-and-calpersiflage?r=10305&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

/[  Los Angeles is pretty seriuos about climate change - items from a
weekly newsletter   ] /
*Newsletter: Climate change is transforming how Angelenos live, breathe
and escape the heat*
BY SAMMY ROTH - -STAFF WRITER
DEC. 9, 2021
This is the Dec. 9, 2021, edition of Boiling Point, a weekly newsletter
about climate change and the environment in California and the American
West. Sign up here to get it in your inbox.

If you’re looking for evidence that the climate crisis is taking a toll,
look no further than a new survey of Angelenos.

Fifty-one percent of Los Angeles County residents avoided going outside
at some point between summer 2020 and summer 2021 because of concerns
about breathing wildfire smoke, the University of Southern California
survey found. More than one-quarter of Angelenos said they had suffered
psychological distress due to a disaster such as a fire, flood or
extreme heat during that time.

Heat storms in particular are taking a toll on quality of life.
Fifty-four percent of local residents said they had gone to a mall,
library, community center or other cool location for the sole purpose of
getting out of the heat — a startling number, at least to me.

Rising temperatures don’t affect everyone equally. The survey found that
27% of Black Angelenos work outdoors with no cover, much more than any
other racial group. And whereas 62% of white survey respondents said
their neighborhoods have enough trees to provide adequate shade for
walking on a hot, sunny day, only 51% of Latino, Asian and Black
residents said the same.

Overall, more than three-quarters of respondents said climate change is
a threat to the well-being of Angelenos.

It’s not hard to see what’s giving people that idea. Los Angeles County
recorded a record-high 121-degree temperature during an excruciating
heat wave in summer 2020, following a decade in which heat killed an
estimated 3,900 Californians, with the death count rising over time,
according to an L.A. Times investigation. Southern California officials
have issued air quality advisories due to wildfire smoke on 17 days so
far this year — and 55 days last year, when the Bobcat fire raged in the
San Gabriel Mountains.

Kelly Sanders, an energy and climate expert at USC who was not involved
with the survey, told me it’s more than wildfires to blame for filling
the air with smoke and keeping people indoors. California is in drought
— and lack of rainfall not only primes the landscape for fire but also
allows lung-damaging particles to linger in the air longer. High
temperatures, too, can exacerbate smog.

All those forces — heat, drought, wildfires, air pollution — are made
worse by the burning of fossil fuels.

Sanders pointed to the growing number of Californians who have
experienced ash falling out of the sky.

“It’s not just a one-off — it’s happening every year, multiple times a
year at this point,” she said. “We always talk about these apocalyptic
events in the future, but ash falling out of the sky — it doesn’t get
more apocalyptic than that.”
- -
The USC survey offers reasons for hope, too. I was encouraged that 40%
of Angelenos say their next car is likely to be electric. (I wasn’t one
of the 1,244 people to take the survey, but I would have said the same.)
Large majorities of Angelenos also try to limit their electricity and
water use, the amount of time they spend driving and how much meat they
eat — all good for the climate.

Interestingly, older people were more likely to say their individual
actions can make a difference in tackling global warming — a sign that
younger generations, such as my own, are fed up with decades of inaction
by corporations and government and are sick of being told their
lifestyles are to blame. Fifty-seven percent of survey respondents ages
18 to 39 said their actions can make a difference, compared with 75% of
respondents in their 40s, 71% in their 50s and 65% age 60 and older.

Younger people “have a different idea about who are the humans that are
causing climate change,” said Kyla Thomas, director of the LABarometer
survey at the USC Dornsife Center for Economic and Social Research,
which conducted the polling.

One other key finding: Just 17% of Angelenos said local government is
doing enough to fight climate change.

To be fair, I don’t know of any local government that’s truly doing
enough, given the science showing that global emissions need to be cut
roughly in half in less than a decade. But it’s not hard to point to
places where Los Angeles is falling short. Just to offer one example
from my previous reporting, the city still doesn’t have a plan for
reducing planet-warming emissions from residential gas heating and gas
stoves, despite Mayor Eric Garcetti setting targets for net-zero-carbon
buildings way back in April 2019.

Garcetti did join with three City Council members this week to introduce
a motion instructing L.A.'s climate emergency office to develop
recommendations for slashing emissions from gas appliances in homes,
with a focus on affordability. Environmental justice activists have
raised concerns that requiring electric heating and cooking could raise
energy and housing costs.

The new initiative “will ensure that the people who are most impacted by
climate change and housing insecurity are the ones leading the
conversation, and that the solutions proposed lead to strong labor,
housing, and health protections,” said Martha Dina Argüello, executive
director of Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles, in a
written statement...
- -
Shifting from gas cooking to induction stoves will be especially
important as wildfire smoke and higher temperatures force people to
spend even more time sheltered at home with the windows closed, Sanders
said. That’s because cooking with gas can lead to high levels of indoor
air pollution. And gas stoves aren’t the only problem — the air outside
has a big effect on the air inside.

“We need to focus more on improving our homes and buildings to promote
safe indoor air quality, as well as access to adequate air conditioning.
People are spending a lot more time at home,” Sanders said. “Communities
living closer to pollution sources like highways, wildfires, industrial
centers, the ports — they’re really disproportionately impacted by this
poor air quality.”
- -
They’ve really got me thinking about how many politicians still talk
about climate change as a problem to be solved for the sake of future
generations, as opposed to a disaster that is here now and making the
planet progressively less livable for current generations. President
Biden, for instance, recently pitched his “Build Back Better”
legislation by describing the fight against global warming as an
“obligation to our children and to our grandchildren.”

That attitude is admirable but behind the times. We live in a world
where large and growing numbers of people are staying indoors to protect
their lungs from wildfire smoke, going to the mall to stay cool and
feeling anxiety from climate calamity.

If the survey says anything, it says people want action, and they want
it now.

Here’s what else is happening around the West:
TOP STORIES
California’s biggest source of water supply — the Sierra Nevada snowpack
— could be close to zero for five straight years as soon as the 2040s,
new research finds. Here’s the story by my colleague Hayley Smith, which
speaks to the critical importance of using water more carefully. And as
scary as conditions might get in a few decades, they’re already bad now.
Just 6% of the contiguous U.S. was covered in snow as of Friday, the
lowest coverage since researchers started tracking that figure,
according to AccuWeather’s Mark Puleo. There’s so little powder in the
Rocky Mountains that one Colorado ski town is holding a four-day “snow
dance” to ask Ullr, the Norse God of Snow, to please help them out, the
Associated Press’ Thomas Peipert and Brittany Peterson report.

President Biden’s “Build Back Better” bill includes the largest-ever
federal investment in U.S. forests — $27 billion overall, with $14
billion for fuels reduction to limit wildfire severity. This would mark
a sea change from the current approach of throwing tons of money at
firefighting and neglecting prevention, The Times’ Jennifer Haberkorn
reports. Here in California, meanwhile, Pacific Gas & Electric has
agreed to pay $125 million for sparking the Kincade fire, Gregory Yee
reports. And in fire news of a different kind, local officials say the
awful smell in the city of Carson was caused by a warehouse fire ignited
by illegally stored flammable materials, including hand sanitizer and
antibacterial wipes, Hailey Branson-Potts and Andrew J. Campa report.

As part of a settlement agreement with environmental groups, a massive
home development at Tejon Ranch in northern L.A. County won’t have
natural gas hookups. Instead, homes will be built with electric heat
pumps and induction stoves; details here from my colleague Louis
Sahagún. At the same time, many Tejon Ranch residents will probably
drive several hours each day commuting to and from Los Angeles, spewing
carbon into the atmosphere. State lawmakers have tried to reduce
emissions (and make housing more affordable) by promoting density, but
some cities are racing to restrict new housing ahead of a law that would
require them to allow duplexes and fourplexes in single-family
neighborhoods, The Times’ Liam Dillon reports. L.A.'s City Council
overwhelmingly opposed that law, despite new polling from The Times
showing a strong majority of voters support the idea.

DROUGHT CENTRAL
It looks like California will again mandate water-saving measures such
as not watering lawns after it rains, with $500 fines for noncompliance.
In the meantime, conservation is ticking up — Californians cut their
water use by 13.2% in October, up from 3.9% in September, Hayley Smith
reports for The Times. Out in the desert, Cadiz Inc. has pitched its
plan to pump groundwater and ship it to coastal cities as a drought
solution — but the Biden administration isn’t buying it. Officials are
trying to reverse a Trump administration decision clearing the way for
the Cadiz pipeline, which has long been opposed by critics as an
environmentally damaging water grab, my colleagues Alex Wigglesworth and
Ian James report. Columnist Michael Hiltzik was pleased by the federal
government’s change of course, writing of the Cadiz project, “It’s time
to bury it in the desert grave where it belongs.”...
- -
THE ENERGY TRANSITION
Southern California Edison is tearing down the San Onofre nuclear plant,
in a process expected to take eight years and cost $4.5 billion. The San
Diego Union-Tribune’s Rob Nikolewski has a detailed explainer on the
teardown, with critics questioning whether Edison will manage it safely.
In other nuclear news, the Biden administration is looking for
communities that might want to store the nation’s spent nuclear fuel.
And President Biden’s energy secretary said she might talk with
California officials about extending the life of the state’s last nuke,
Diablo Canyon, Reuters’ Timothy Gardner reports. Supporters of keeping
the plant open past 2025 held a rally last weekend, Rachel Showalter
reports for KCBX; see also my deep dive on Diablo from earlier this year.

The Interior Department has issued more onshore oil and gas drilling
permits per month under President Biden than it did during any of
President Trump’s first three years in office. Here’s the story from the
Washington Post’s Maxine Joselow. You may recall that last week in this
newsletter I wrote about the Biden administration’s slow pace of
approving solar and wind farms on public lands, which makes for an
interesting contrast. And although the timing is probably a coincidence,
the day after that newsletter was published the federal Bureau of Land
Management announced it’s planning to lower the fees paid by solar and
wind farms...
- -
Hollywood helped make Los Angeles what it is today — and so did oil.
“Oil, motion pictures and real estate were like the trifecta of forces
that were attracting migrants to come west to L.A. Oil was kind of right
up there with the glamor of Hollywood,” one expert told my colleague
Rachel Schnalzer, in the latest entry in our series answering reader
questions about local business. While oil brought wealth and jobs for
some, there were also safety hazards for workers, many of whom died
falling into oil tanks.
https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2021-12-09/climate-change-is-transforming-how-angelenos-live-breathe-and-escape-the-heat-boiling-point?utm_id=44241&sfmc_id=948181

/[ podcast  -- *throughline* - modern culture tries to connect with the
Hyperobject sounds of Radiohead  ] /
DECEMBER 9, 2021
*History Is Over*
As the end of the 20th century approached, Radiohead took to the
recording studio to capture the sound of a society that felt like it was
fraying at the edges. Many people had high hopes for the new millennium,
but for others a low hum of anxiety lurked just beneath the surface as
the world changed rapidly and fears of a Y2K meltdown loomed.
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510333/throughline

- -

/[ important to know the concept of the Hyperobject ]/
*Climate Change is Too Big for our Brains feat. Mike Rugnetta | Hot Mess*
What can a bunch of circles and squares from a 19th century novella tell
us about Climate Change? Its metaphor time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pqp_8XLC6c
*Why is it so hard to fully address climate change? It’s a hyperobject.*
Climate change despite being so definitely caused by humans is so
profoundly non-human; so expansive that our understanding is continually
outpaced by its total seepage into our environment. Climate change is
both a thing and much much more sign that a mere thing could ever be.”
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/peril-and-promise/video/climate-change-impact-hyperobject/

- -

[ a few movie reviews...]

*Is 'Don't Look Up' a Movie That's Impossible to Review?*
In Adam McKay's new satire the world is doomed and the jokes are flat,
but maybe that's the point
By Miranda Collinge  -- 8/12/2021

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a38458321/is-dont-look-up-impossible-to-review/

- -

/[  2 min video - you will probably see the movie, and it will motivate
discussion ]/
*Leonardo DiCaprio on What Lured Him to Star in Comet-Collision Satire
"Don't Look Up"*
Andrew Revkin
Leonardo DiCaprio describes how filmmaker Adam McKay lured him to star
with Jennifer Lawrence in the comet catastrophe satire "Don't Look Up."
https://youtu.be/DrWAdZw_k_Q

- -

/[    2012 video - mentions the metaphor of asteroid approaching Earth ] /
*James Hansen: Why I must speak out about climate change*
Mar 7, 2012
TED Talk
http://www.ted.com Top climate scientist James Hansen tells the story of
his involvement in the science of and debate over global climate change.
In doing so he outlines the overwhelming evidence that change is
happening and why that makes him deeply worried about the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWInyaMWBY8

- -

/[ NYTimes article from 1981  ]/
*STUDY FINDS WARMING TREND THAT COULD RAISE SEA LEVELS*/
/    By Walter Sullivan
Aug. 22, 1981
A team of Federal scientists says it has detected an overall warming
trend in the earth's atmosphere extending back to the year 1880. They
regard this as evidence of the validity of the ''greenhouse'' effect, in
which increasing amounts of carbon dioxide cause steady temperature
increases.

The seven atmospheric scientists predict a global warming of ''almost
unprecedented magnitude'' in the next century. It might even be
sufficient to melt and dislodge the ice cover of West Antarctica, they
say, eventually leading to a worldwide rise of 15 to 20 feet in the sea
level. In that case, they say, it would ''flood 25 percent of Louisiana
and Florida, 10 percent of New Jersey and many other lowlands throughout
the world'' within a century or less.

Workings of Greenhouse

The forecast, which also envisions widespread disruption of agriculture,
is the fruit of analyses and computer simulations conducted by the
Institute for Space Studies of the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration. The institute, which is in New York City, is part of the
space agency's Goddard Spaceflight Center in Greenbelt, Md. The forecast
is in an article in the Aug. 28 issue of the journal Science.

Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which is primarily a result of
mankind's burning of fuels, is thought to act like the glass of a
greenhouse. It absorbs heat radiation from the earth and its atmosphere,
heat that otherwise would dissipate into space. Other factors being
equal, the more carbon dioxide there is in the atmosphere, the warmer
the earth should become, according to the theory.

A century ago the amount of carbon dioxide in the air was 280 to 300
parts per million. It is now 335 to 340 parts per million and it is
expected to be at least 600 parts per million in the next century.

The possibility that the greenhouse effect could alter the earth's
temperature has long been debated. Scientists have agreed that carbon
dioxide is increasing, but disagree on whether temperatures are also
increasing.

The major difficulty in accepting the greenhouse theory ''has been the
absence of observed warming coincident with the historic carbon dioxide
increase,'' the scientists wrote.

Researchers were further confounded by an apparent cooling trend since
1940. As a result, many atmospheric scientists concluded that the
climatic effects of increased carbon dioxide might not become detectable
for many decades. But the Government scientists say they see clear
evidence that carbon dioxide added to the atmosphere since the
Industrial Revolution has already warmed the climate.

If fuel burning increases at a slow rate with emphasis on other energy
sources, the study predicts a global temperature rise in the next
century of about 5 degrees Fahrenheit. If fuel use rises rapidly, which
some believe may occur as the developing countries industrialize, the
predicted rise is from 6 to 9 degrees.

Even the more moderate rise of 5 degrees, the authors say, would result
in higher average temperatures than were reached in the period between
the last two ice ages. At that time sea levels were 30 feet higher than
they are today, probably because West Antarctica was ice free. The
climate ''would approach the warmth of the Mesozoic, the age of
dinosaurs,'' the report says.

The study's conclusions are likely to be challenged on two counts: their
detection of a trend of temperature increase and linking it with a
carbon dioxide increase, and their projections of the consequences of
the increase.

A leading participant in past carbon dioxide studies has been Dr.
Stephen H. Schneider of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in
Boulder, Colo. Reached by telephone there, he said the conclusions about
the extent of warming and how quickly it will occur would be reasonable
if the assumptions on which they are based prove valid, but that many
can be challenged.

One of these is the space agency group's contention that a cooling trend
in recent decades was caused by dust from volcanic eruptions high in the
atmosphere. If that was not the case, their model might be seriously flawed.

Other assumptions open to challenge include such uncertain factors as
population growth rates, energy-consuming trends in the developing
world, new developments in solar energy and other alternative energy
sources, trends in energy conservation and lack of knowledge regarding
the extent to which oceans might remove carbon dioxide from the air.

These uncertainties are, to a large extent, recognized in the new
report, signed by Dr. James Hansen and six colleagues at the space
studies institute.

In their analysis, the scientists seek to respond to an outspoken
skeptic regarding the carbon dioxide threat, Dr. Sherwood B. Idso, a
climate specialist with the Federal Department of Agriculture in
Phoenix. Last March he circulated an analysis saying that a doubling or
tripling of atmospheric carbon dioxide would have little effect except
to increase global agricultural productivity by 20 to 50 percent.

Plants grow by converting carbon dioxide and water into carbohydrates
and other compounds, aided by solar energy. One proposed strategy to
limit the growth of atmospheric carbon dioxide would be to plant
extensive forests.

Dr. Hansen and his colleagues cite the observed surface temperatures of
Mars and, particularly, Venus as support for their predicted greenhouse
effect. The surface of Venus, with an atmosphere formed largely of
carbon dioxide, is at about 900 degrees Fahrenheit.

Their conclusion that the climate has warmed by almost one degree in the
last century is based on a re-analysis of global observations, paying
special attention to the Southern Hemisphere. ''The common misconception
that the world is cooling,'' they say, ''is based on Northern Hemisphere
experience to 1970.''

As ''an appropriate strategy,'' the report proposes emphasis on energy
conservation and development of alternative energy sources while using
fossil fuels ''as necessary'' in the coming decades.

/A version of this article appears in print on Aug. 22, 1981, Section 1,
Page 1 of the National edition with the headline: STUDY FINDS WARMING
TREND THAT COULD RAISE SEA LEVELS./
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/09/world/ancient-ice-yielding-secrets-of-climate.html

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming December  10, 2007*
December 10, 2007: Al Gore officially accepts the Nobel Peace Prize.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/world/11nobel.html?_r=0