[✔️] December 22, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Dec 22 08:50:12 EST 2021

/*December 22, 2021*/

/[  These are the top NYTimes climate stories of the past year - with
data from years ago  ] /
*The Year in Climate News*
A lot happened this year. Jog your memory with stories compiled by The
New York Times climate desk.
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/climate/climate-change-year-in-review-2021.html

/[  clips from  Dr Michael E. Mann  ] /
*Global destruction isn’t funny, but when it comes to the climate
crisis, it might have to be*
Science isn’t finished until it’s successfully communicated. ‘Don’t Look
Up’ succeeds not because it’s funny and entertaining, but because it’s
serious sociopolitical commentary posing as comedy.
By Michael E. Mann - Dec 21, 2021
As a scientist devoted to communicating the dangerous impacts of climate
change, I don’t want Adam McKay’s new film, “Don’t Look Up,” to one day
be remembered as prescient and accurate...
- -
So how can climate advocates break through this calcified information
environment? We have to look for another way in. Humor and satire can
help. Though a serious scientist at heart, I’m a convert to this way of
thinking. It’s why I’ve done interviews with Bill Maher and Al Franken.
And it’s why I’ve partnered with editorial cartoonist Tom Toles to
communicate the climate crisis. It’s the same reason Charlie Chaplin
deployed humor as a clarion call against fascism and antisemitism, and
as a wake-up call for America to eschew neutrality and rescue Europe
from Hitler’s Germany: Humor and satire are powerful vehicles for
change. And scientific research supports this.

Recent peer-reviewed studies have demonstrated that humor is a powerful
tool for engaging the public on climate change. These studies followed a
March 2017 report of the American Psychological Association that defined
ecoanxiety as “chronic fear of environmental doom.” The report described
an increase in depression and anxiety caused by peoples’ “inability to
feel like they are making a difference in stopping climate change” but
that “climate-change humor stops people from worrying about their
politics and lets them take in the information. . . . Scientists don’t
always understand their audience. Getting someone to laugh is half of
the work of getting them to understand.”

Which brings me back to “Don’t Look Up.” McKay’s film succeeds not
because it’s funny and entertaining; it’s serious sociopolitical
commentary posing as comedy. It’s a cautionary tale about the climate
crisis stitched together by McKay’s signature biting humor. That’s the
spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down.

As we look toward the next decade — a critical decade from the
standpoint of averting truly catastrophic climate change — we need more
unconventional endeavors like “Don’t Look Up” to communicate the perils
of climate inaction. Scientific research, on its own, will travel only
so far (until scientists distill a 900-page report into a 90-second
TikTok). Science isn’t finished until it’s successfully communicated.

As Beth Osnes, associate professor of theater and environmental studies
at the University of Colorado at Boulder, said, “Climate change isn’t a
laughing matter, but sometimes you have to laugh at your pain to get to
a solution.” So let’s stop to have a laugh or two. And then get on with
the work at hand.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/21/opinion/global-destruction-isnt-funny-when-it-comes-climate-crisis-it-might-have-be/

- -

/[   Michael E. Mann's Hockey Stick Graph is now updated  ] /
*What the Hockey Stick missed about climate change*
Dec 10, 2021
Simon Clark
The infamous hockey stick figure was published in 1999. A new paper just
blew it out of the water with an INCREDIBLE reconstruction...
You may have already heard of the 1999 hockey stick created by Michael
Mann, Malcolm Hughes, and Raymond Bradley. It's a frequent skeptic
talking point, and was involved in a whole scandal called climategate
that rocked the scientific world. Eventually however it was validated by
dozens of independent studies, and its conclusions accepted - the world
is currently undergoing warming the likes of which humans have never
seen before. Last month however, the hockey stick got an amazing
upgrade. A new paper by Osman et al reconstructed the past 24,000 years
of climate using new techniques, and gave us new insights into just how
unprecedented anthropogenic global warming really is.
https://youtu.be/CqtZdnpfgIc

- -

/[  More info  ]/
*Scientists extend and straighten iconic climate “hockey stick”*
24,000 years of climate history, with our current warming being unique
in the record.
- -
So what changed?
Osman and colleagues concluded that most of the conundrum’s resolution
is due to the sophisticated handling of geographic unevenness in their
data compared to prior work. “Older reconstructions are just binned
latitudinal averages,” said Tierney. “[That] method has a downside in
that it doesn’t account for temperature changes in regions that are
unsampled.”

Tierney’s team also found the conundrum could not be explained by
seasonal growth of the plankton and algae used to reconstruct
temperatures. “Even after accounting for seasonal bias, we still could
not reconcile the [results] with reconstructions based on proxies
alone,” said Tierney. “This led us to conclude that spatial
representation was the most important factor.”

Dr. Shaun Marcott of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, who led a
proxy reconstruction of Holocene climate in 2013, told Ars that the new
work is a significant step forward. "The full field surface temperature
reanalysis… is well beyond prior papers and has taken this team of
scientists close to a decade to build," he said, adding, "It is a
triumph, and what this group has been doing is spectacular!"

For Mann, who had to go all the way to the US Supreme Court to defend
his work and reputation, this work represents yet another vindication.
“It’s become clear that the hockey stick ‘handle’ is much longer, and
the ‘blade’ is sharper as we’ve warmed substantially since 1998 when we
first published the ‘Hockey Stick,’” he told Ars.

Nature, 2021. DOI: 10.1038/s41586-021-03984-4
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/11/scientists-extend-and-straighten-iconic-climate-hockey-stick/

/[  good idea, tell others, get one, keep the batteries fresh ... ]/
*Watching for Extreme Weather? Try a Radio*
There are many ways to stay informed. A weather radio is one of the most
reliable
When you live in Tornado Alley, you get used to the school drills, the
periodic testing of the sirens, and storms that knock over trees and
flood roadways. A face you know above all others is the broadcast
meteorologist, who tells you routinely about tornado watches, and
occasionally tornado warnings. When tornadoes materialize, this feature
of our everyday existence becomes horribly, surprisingly real.

As I followed the news recently in Kentucky and Tennessee, I was
dumbstruck. Severe storms are becoming more frequent, and more
destructive. And even though, as a journalist, and a Texan, I’ve
witnessed tornado destruction many times in my life, it’s still hard to
wrap your head around the images of rubble, the overturned cars, and
trees, and buildings torn to shreds next to ones barely touched. It’s
been hard to fathom the number of lives lost in one weekend, in part
because these storms came in the night, in December, when tornadoes are
rare, and many people were asleep...
/[get a radio]/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/watching-for-extreme-weather-try-a-radio/

/[The news archive - looking back to  climate scientist Charles David
Keeling.] /*
**On this day in the history of global warming December 22, 2010*
December 22, 2010: The New York Times reports on the legacy of the late
climate scientist Charles David Keeling.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/22/science/earth/22carbon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

December 22, 2011: In Commentary magazine, former George W. Bush