[✔️] December 27, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Dec 27 08:02:02 EST 2021

/*December 27, 2021*/

/[  BBC announced] /
*Climate change: Huge toll of extreme weather disasters in 2021*
Weather events, linked to a changing climate, brought misery to millions
around the world in 2021 according to a new report.
The study, from the charity Christian Aid, identified 10 extreme events
that each caused more than $1.5bn of damage.
The biggest financial impacts were from Hurricane Ida which hit the US
in August and flooding in Europe in July.
In many poorer regions, floods and storms caused mass displacements of
people and severe suffering.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59761839

- -

[  The original report from Christian Aid ]
Published on 27 December 2021
*Counting the cost 2021: A year of climate breakdown*
This report highlights the 10 most financially devastating climate
events of 2021, from hurricanes in the US, China and India to floods in
Australia, Europe and Canada. All cost over 1.5 billion dollars of damage..

It also looks at five events which, while carrying a lower financial
cost, brought devastating human impacts such as drought in Africa and
Latin America and floods in South Sudan.
[clip from Executive Summary]

    The top ten most expensive events financially all cost over 1.5 billion
    dollars of damage with Hurricane Ida in the US topping the list at $65
    billion. The floods in Europe came second at $43 billion.
    Unless the world acts rapidly to cut emissions these kinds of
    disasters are likely to worsen. Steve Bowen, Meteorologist & Head
    of Catastrophe Insight at insurers Aon has noted that 2021 is
    expected to be the sixth time global natural catastrophes have
    crossed the $100 billion insured loss threshold. All six have
    happened since 2011 and 2021 will be the fourth in five years.
    Worryingly, despite the pandemic concentrations of greenhouse
    gasses in the atmosphere reached a new all-time record according
    to a study by the World Meteorological Organisation published in
    October.2 And the latest Emissions Gap Report published by the
    UN’s Environment Programme last month showed that the national
    climate plans which make up the Paris Agreement were not currently
    on track to ensure global heating is kept below 1.5C

Download the report
https://www.christianaid.org.uk/sites/default/files/2021-12/Counting%20the%20cost%202021%20-%20A%20year%20of%20climate%20breakdown.pdf

https://www.christianaid.org.uk/resources/our-work/counting-cost-2021-year-climate-breakdown

/[  insane or clever ??   ] /
*Space Solar Power Stations. Are they bonkers?*
Dec 26, 2021
Just Have a Think
Solar power stations in space. Sounds like pure science fiction doesn't
it? And indeed, it was the likes of Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke
who were among the first to consider the idea. But now there's a global
race on to be the first to develop the concept into a genuinely
functional system supplying solar power direct from space straight into
our grids. And the prize for the winner could be massive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnzuv90VDqQ

/[  from the Weather Channel ] /
*Second Year of Crippling Drought—Made Worse By Climate Change—Grips
Afghanistan (PHOTOS)*
The country is in the grips of a second year of crippling drought.
Drought has become more common in recent years.
About half of the population faces acute food shortages.
Amid decades of war, the coronavirus pandemic and the chaos of the
Taliban seizing power after the U.S. and NATO troops withdrawing earlier
this year, Afghanistan is in the grips of a second year of crippling
drought that experts say is made worse by climate change.

"I remember from my childhood ... there was a lot of snow in the
winters, in spring we had a lot of rain," 53-year-old Abdul Ghani, a
local community leader in the village of Sang-e-Atash in the hard-struck
province of Badghis, told the Associated Press.

"But since a few years ago there has been drought, there is no snow,
there is much less rain. It is not even possible to get one bowl of
water from drainpipes to use."

Necephor Mghendi, head of the Afghanistan Delegation of the
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, told
the AP that severe drought has affected more than 60% of the country’s
provinces.

Experts say the extreme dry conditions bring home the reality of climate
change. Over the last two decades, 14% of the glaciers in Afghanistan
have melted and the frequency of drought has doubled, according to Assem
Mayar, a water resource management expert and PhD candidate at the
University of Stuttgart in Germany.

"The effect of climate change and global warming in Afghanistan is very
clear in multiple ways," Mayar told the AP.

Nearly 23 million people in Afghanistan, about half the country's
population, face acute food shortages, according to the World Food
Program. Aid workers say the drought is only making things worse, and
residents like Ghani have lost hope.

"There is no solution, we are just destroyed," he said. "We can’t go
anywhere, to a foreign country, we have no money, we have nothing. In
the end, we must dig our graves and die."
https://weather.com/en-IN/india/news/news/2021-12-27-photos-of-climate-change-induced-crippling-drought-in-afghanistan

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming December 27, 2014*

December 27, 2014: The New York Times reports:

    "In state legislatures and major professional associations, a
    bipartisan effort is emerging to change the way state attorneys
    general interact with lobbyists, campaign donors and other corporate
    representatives.

    "This month, during a closed-door meeting of the National
    Association of Attorneys General, officials voted to stop accepting
    corporate sponsorships. In Missouri, a bill has been introduced that
    would require the attorney general, as well as certain other state
    officials, to disclose within 48 hours any political contribution
    worth more than $500. And in Washington State, legislation is being
    drafted to bar attorneys general who leave office from lobbying
    their former colleagues for a year.

    "Perhaps most significant, a White House ethics lawyer in the
    administration of George W. Bush has asked the American Bar
    Association to change its national code of conduct to prohibit
    attorneys general from discussing continuing investigations or other
    official matters while participating in fund-raising events at
    resort destinations, as they often now do. Those measures could be
    adopted in individual states.

    "The actions follow a series of articles in The New York Times that
    examined how lawyers and lobbyists — from major corporations, energy
    companies and even plaintiffs’ law firms — have increasingly tried
    to influence state attorneys general."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/27/us/bipartisan-effort-to-restrict-lobbyists-influence-of-attorneys-general.html