[✔️] December 31, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Dec 31 08:50:49 EST 2021

/*December 31, 2021*/

/[ ABC News report  3 min video ]/
*Life-threatening wildfires storm Colorado*
Dec 31, 2021
ABC News
Hundreds of homes have been destroyed by a wildfire in Boulder County,
Colorado forcing many to flee with little or no warning. ABC News’
Andrew Dymburt has more.
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gqDZQzgGTY*
/[ I heard an insurance agent say "It's something you don't plan on"]/
/- -
//[  supposed to happen in the next decade - not now ] /
*'Absolutely devastating': Colorado wildfires burn hundreds of homes
near Boulder*
USA TODAY
Dec 30m 2021
BOULDER, Colo. – A ferocious wind-driven wildfire on Thursday destroyed
hundreds of homes and businesses near Boulder and Denver, Colorado,
forcing tens of thousands to flee and blanketing the area in smoke.

The high winds that fanned fires in the area continued into Thursday
night as the Boulder suburbs of Superior and Louisville remained under
evacuation orders. Firefighters were forced to withdraw in many areas as
one large wildfire raged on and another remained under control.

On Thursday night, hundreds of people watched from a ridge top as orange
flames tore through the Rock Creek neighborhood of Superior, and
numerous other fires dotted the horizon.

Firefighting conditions were expected to improve overnight as winds
decrease. The National Weather Service said a high wind warning was
extended through 8 p.m. but winds were expected to lessen overnight.
Snow that's expected Friday could also help douse the blaze, a National
Weather Service meteorologist told USA TODAY...
- -
On Thursday afternoon, a cloud of dark gray smoke could be seen blowing
over the town of Superior, located about 20 miles northwest of Denver.

The entire town, which has about 13,000 residents, was ordered to
evacuate. About 210 homes were lost in the Old Town area of Superior.lll
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/12/30/boulder-wildfires-thousands-ordered-flee-their-homes-colorado/9057234002/
- -
/[  YouTube video of TV newscasts  30 min ]/
*In-Depth coverage of the Marshall Fire that destroyed more than 500
homes in Colorado*
Dec 30, 2021
Denver7 – The Denver Channel The Denver7 team brings you in-depth
coverage of the Marshall Fire at 10 p.m. on Dec. 30, 2021 after it tore
through Boulder County, fueled by hurricane force winds, burning at
least 500 homes, according to officials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d-NnuM2vFQ
- -
/[  news video 4 mins ]/
*Chief Meteorologist Dave Fraser on high winds*
Dec 30, 2021
FOX31 Denver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFucWUNM68

/[  Wry, sarcastic humor from the New Yorker ] /
*What I Will Give Up Because of Climate Change*
By Alex Connolly and Ginny Hogan
December 30, 2021
This upcoming year, I’m resolving to give up something that hurts our
environment. Since I’m a planner, I’ve also laid out resolutions for the
following sixteen years to give up things that correspond to current
climate-change projections.

2022: Cooking meat. From now on, takeout only.

2023: Unnecessary flights. Especially to weddings that I don’t want to
go to.

2024: Food waste. I will commit to finishing all the food that I buy.
And also a lot of the food that my roommate buys.

2025: Plastic shopping bags. I’m going to switch to shopping exclusively
online so that, instead of plastic shopping bags, it’s just cardboard
and occasionally gratuitous bubble wrap. Bubble wrap isn’t plastic—it’s
bubbles.

2026: Printing. I’m very young, so I’ve obviously never even seen a
printer. But, if I do see one in 2026, rest assured, I won’t use it.
What would I even use it for? An analog copy of my best tweets that can
never be flagged for removal by men’s-rights activists? Actually, maybe
I would use it.

2027: Hanging on to my cans until no one is watching so I can throw them
in the trash rather than finding aluminum recycling. Not that I ever did
this . . . but I’ll definitely stop now.

2028: Flushing. The Alaska wildfires will really serve as a wake-up call
this year. Not flushing will be an adjustment for me and my eight
roommates, but we will brave it together.

2029: Giving up carbs. To clarify, I will give up giving them up. Global
food shortages will mean that we will all have to be less picky when it
comes to fuelling our bodies.

2030: Investing in a 401(k). No, I won’t have started doing this yet,
but I’ll still give up the idea of doing it, since, in 2030, the U.N.
will project that retirement is not really going to be a thing anymore.
(Ditto for seasons and economies.)

2031: Turning on lights. Who needs ’em?! Now that society has collapsed,
I’ll finally have some work-life balance. When it’s dark, I’ll just
sleep. Besides, it won’t even get that dark anymore. The fires will emit
a pretty steady glow.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/what-i-will-give-up-because-of-climate-change

/[ ] /

/[ The news archive - looking back 9 years ago ]/
*On this day in the history of global warming December 31, 2012*

    *December 31, 2012: Media Matters compiles a list of the "10 Dumbest*
    *Things Fox Said About Climate Change In 2012."*
    In contrast to official temperature records showing a consistent
    warming trend, Fox Business reporters have claimed that the
    “temperature basically hasn't changed much since the ice age” and
    that it's actually “getting colder.” Fox News figures have also
    denied the scientific consensus that human activity is driving
    climate change, claiming that carbon dioxide “literally cannot cause
    global warming” and suggesting that “Mars wobbles” or “wind farms”
    may be causing it instead. Those are just some of the 10 dumbest
    things Fox News, Fox Business and their websites said about climate
    change in 2012:

    *1. Fox Reporter: “The Temperature Basically Hasn't Changed Much
    Since The Ice Age.” *During the Ice Age, much of North America,
    northern Europe and southern South America were covered with ice
    sheets. Natural climate cycles led to the end of the Ice Age tens of
    thousands of years ago. In the last century, temperatures have
    increased dramatically as a result of our massive emissions of
    greenhouse gases. Yet Fox Business reporter Tracy Byrnes claimed in
    March that “the temperature basically hasn't changed much since the
    Ice Age,” before confusing global warming with the depletion of the
    ozone layer:..
    - -
    *2. During Record-Breaking Heat, Fox Anchor Claims “It's Getting
    Colder.” *During the third warmest summer on record in the U.S.,
    David Asman, who hosts shows on both Fox News and Fox Business,
    claimed “it's getting colder”:
    - -
    *3. Fox “Expert”: Carbon Dioxide “Literally Cannot Cause Global
    Warming.” *Joe Bastardi is a meteorologist that is often presented
    as a climate change expert on Fox News, even though he has no
    climate science training. Bill O'Reilly has cited Bastardi as the
    reason that he is “skeptical” about global warming, but scientists
    have called Bastardi's statements “completely wrong,” “simply
    ignorant,” and “utter nonsense.” In March, Bastardi attempted to
    "throw out 150 years of physics" by dismissing the greenhouse effect
    -- the reason there is life on Earth -- as impossible. Bastardi
    stated on Fox Business that carbon dioxide (CO2) “literally” -- yes,
    literally -- “cannot cause global warming” because it doesn't “mix
    well in the atmosphere.” But physicist Richard Muller told Media
    Matters that CO2 is actually “completely mixed.”..
    - -
    *4. Fox Reporter: “Mars Wobbles” May Be Causing Climate Change.
    *Elizabeth MacDonald, a Fox Business reporter who often appears on
    Fox News, incorrectly said in November that “there's no consensus on
    what's causing climate change, and asked “is it solar flares? Is it
    the Mars wobbles? Is it the earth's axis tilting in a different way?
    I mean, that's the issue.” After being subject to mockery, she tried
    to walk back her comments saying she doesn't “think Mars wobbles
    cause hurricanes,” but did not explain her previous comments....
    - -
    *5. Fox Website: “Wind Farms Cause Global Warming.” I*n April, a
    study found that nighttime temperatures in areas around Texas wind
    farms were higher than in areas without wind turbines. Fox Nation, a
    section of FoxNews.com, linked to a story about the study with a
    headline declaring that wind farms “cause global warming.” But the
    study's authors called this coverage “misleading,” explaining that
    it is "[v]ery likely" that “wind turbines do not create a net
    warming of the air and instead only re-distribute the air's heat
    near the surface, which is fundamentally different from the
    large-scale warming effect caused by increasing atmospheric
    concentrations of greenhouse gases.”...
    - -
    *6. Instead Of Scientists, Fox Turns To Mark Levin And A Coal Miner
    To Say “CO's What Make Plants Grow.”* During an hour-long special on
    the “green agenda” hosted by anchor Bret Baier, Fox News did not
    interview a single scientist. Instead they turned to right-wing
    radio host Mark Levin, who denied that carbon dioxide is a pollutant
    that should be regulated, saying: “Carbon dioxide is what we exhale.
    Carbon dioxide is necessary for plants.” Fox later aired video of
    coal miner Robert “Buz” Hilberry echoing this, saying: “I'm no
    scientist but CO's what make plants grow and what make you breathe,
    so they're trying to choke us all out by stopping the burning of
    coal.” At no point did Fox clarify that it's the unusually high
    amount of atmospheric carbon dioxide that has scientists concerned,
    or acknowledge the scientific consensus:..
    - -
    *7. Fox Contributor: There Are “Hundreds Of Thousands” Of Scientists
    “On Both Sides Debating” Global Warming.* National Review Online's
    Deroy Murdock, a Fox News contributor, argued that NASA shouldn't
    explain the facts about global warming because the science is still
    up for debate, claiming “there are scientists on both sides -- there
    are hundreds of thousands on both sides debating” the causes of
    global warming. But even climate change contrarians don't claim to
    have that many scientists on their side. They often promote the
    Oregon Petition, which has been signed by less than 32,000
    “scientists” who don't believe there will be “catastrophic” global
    warming. The petition includes only 39 climatologists and defines as
    a “scientist” anyone who claims to have a bachelor's degree in
    fields ranging from math to engineering. Credible surveys have found
    that the vast majority of climate scientists agree that human
    activity is driving global warming and less than one percent of
    peer-reviewed climate articles over the last two decades have
    rejected manmade causes...
    - -
    *8. Fox Reporter: Global Warming Advocates “Never” Cite A “Consensus
    Of Scientists.” *On Fox News, Fox Business reporter Sandra Smith
    said that the problem with global warming activists is that they
    always cite “one scientist, it's never a collection of scientists,
    it's never a consensus of scientists.” After Fox News contributor
    Adam Lashinksy corrected her, Smith responded, “Adam, just so you
    know, the consensus has not been met among scientists on this issue.
    Or that CO2 actually plays a part in this global warming phenomenon
    as they've come up with somehow.” In fact, survey after survey has
    shown that the vast majority of climate scientists agree that
    greenhouse gas emissions are causing climate change, while those
    trying to downplay global warming often resort to citing a single
    scientist if any. But Smith thought that she had hit on a good point
    during that December 1 appearance, and repeated it on a later Fox
    News show, saying “still to this day, there is not a consensus among
    scientists. If you ever hear the President or his administration,
    they typically cite a scientist when they're making a point, rather
    than a consensus of scientists.”..
    - -
    *9. Fox Website: “Global Warming Means More Arctic Ice.”* In
    October, the Associated Press reported that, contrary to
    conservative media misinformation, slight Antarctic sea ice growth
    is consistent with climate scientists' projections for a warming
    planet. Fox Nation posted the story with the headline “AP: Global
    Warming Means More Arctic Ice.” In fact, Arctic sea ice had just
    experienced the lowest minimum extent ever observed, a key indicator
    of rapid climate change.
    - -
    *10. Fox Declares “Global Warming Over” Based On A Tabloid Report.
    *In October, Fox & Friends featured on-screen text declaring “Global
    Warming Over” based on a report by the UK tabloid The Daily Mail.
    But the UK's official Meteorological Office said that the article
    was “misleading” because it focused on a short period, obscuring
    that 2000 to 2009 was the warmest decade on record.

http://mediamatters.org/mobile/blog/2012/12/31/10-dumbest-things-fox-said-about-climate-change/191859