[TheClimate.Vote] February 2, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Feb 2 09:28:45 EST 2021

/*February 2, 2021*/

[NYT]
*Forecast: Wild Weather in a Warming World*
The polar vortex is experiencing an unusually long disturbance this year
because of a “sudden stratospheric warming.” Bundle up.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/30/climate/polar-vortex-weather-climate-change.html

[Ongoing ]
*How Climate Change May Affect Your Health*
No matter where you live or how high your socioeconomic status, climate
change can endanger your health, both physical and mental, now and in
the future.
Jane E. Brody - Feb. 1, 2021
Melting ice caps, warmer oceans, intense storms, heat waves, droughts,
floods and wildfires — all these well-documented effects of climate
change may seem too remote to many people to prompt them to adopt
behaviors that can slow the warming of the planet. Unless your
neighborhood was destroyed by a severe hurricane or raging wildfire, you
might think such disasters happen only to other people.

But what if I told you that no matter where you live or how high your
socioeconomic status, climate change can endanger your health, both
physical and mental, now and in the future? Not only your health, but
also the health of your children and grandchildren? Might you consider
making changes to help mitigate the threat?

Relatively few Americans associate climate change with possible harms to
their health, and most have given little thought to this possibility.
Even though I read widely about medical issues, like most Americans, I
too was unaware of how many health hazards can accompany climate change.

Studies in the United States and Britain have shown that “people have a
strong tendency to see climate change as less threatening to their
health and to their family’s health than to other people’s health,”
according to Julia Hathaway and Edward W. Maibach at the Center for
Climate Change Communication at George Mason University.

Two recently published reports set me straight. One, by two public
health experts, called for the creation within the National Institutes
of Health of a “National Institute of Climate Change and Health” to
better inform the medical community, public officials and ordinary
citizens about ways to stanch looming threats to human health from
further increases in global warming.

The experts, Dr. Howard Frumkin and Dr. Richard J. Jackson, both former
directors of the National Center for Environmental Health at the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention, warned that recent climate-related
disasters, including devastating wildfires and a record-breaking
hurricane season, demonstrate that our failure to take climate change
seriously is resulting in needless suffering and death.

The second report appeared just as I began investigating the evidence
supporting their proposal: a full-page article in The New York Times on
Nov. 29 with the headline “Wildfire Smoke in California Is Poisoning
Children.” It described lung damage along with lifelong threats to the
health of youngsters forced to breathe smoke-laden air from wildfires
that began raging in August and fouled the air throughout the fall.

Children are not the only ones endangered. Anyone with asthma can
experience life-threatening attacks when pollution levels soar. The
risks of heart disease and stroke rise. And a recent study in JAMA
Neurology of more than 18,000 Americans with cognitive impairment found
a strong link between high levels of air pollution and an increased risk
of developing dementia.

“While anyone’s health can be harmed by climate change, some people are
at greatly increased risk, including young children, pregnant women,
older adults, people with chronic illnesses and disabilities, outdoor
workers, and people with fewer resources,” Drs. Hathaway and Maibach
wrote in Current Environmental Health Reports.

Alas, said Dr. Jackson, emeritus professor at the University of
California, Los Angeles, “Human beings respond only to what is a threat
to them at the moment. Californians are now much more aware — the fires
got people’s attention.” The wildfire season is now starting much
earlier and ending later as a result of a warming climate, an
international research team reported in The New England Journal of
Medicine in November.

Dr. Frumkin, emeritus professor at the University of Washington, told
me, “Lots of people who don’t consider climate change a major problem
relative to themselves do take it seriously when they realize it’s a
health concern. Heat waves, for example, not only kill people, they also
diminish work capacity, sleep quality and academic performance in children.”

“Our changing climate will have much more of an impact on people’s
health over time,” Dr. Jackson said. People of all ages will develop
respiratory allergies, and those who already have allergies can expect
them to get worse, as plants and trees respond to a warmer climate and
release their allergens in more places and for longer periods.

Infectious diseases carried by ticks, mosquitoes and other vectors also
rise with a warming climate. Even small increases in temperature in
temperate zones raise the potential for epidemics of Lyme disease, Rocky
Mountain spotted fever, encephalitis and other tick-borne infections, as
well as mosquito-borne West Nile disease, dengue fever and even malaria.

Climate change endangers the safety of foods and water supplies by
fostering organisms that cause food poisoning and microbial
contamination of drinking water. Extreme flooding and hurricanes can
spawn epidemics of leptospirosis; just walking through floodwaters can
increase the risk of this bacterial blood infection 15-fold.

These are just a smattering of the health risks linked to global
warming. They are extensive and require both societal and individual
efforts to minimize. Yes, society is changing, albeit slowly. The Biden
administration has rejoined the Paris Climate Agreement. General Motors,
the nation’s largest car manufacturer, announced it would dedicate
itself to electric vehicles and other green energy initiatives, and
Ford, Volkswagen and others are doing the same.

Lest you feel you can’t make a difference, let me suggest some steps
many of us can take to help assure a healthier future for everyone.
I assume you’ve already changed your light bulbs to more efficient LEDs.
But have you checked the source of your electricity to see that it
relies primarily on nonpolluting renewable energy sources? Can you
install solar panels where you live? If you can afford to, replace old
energy-guzzling appliances with new efficient ones. And don’t waste
electricity or water.

Now tackle transportation. Drive less and use people power more.
Wherever possible, commute and run errands by cycling, walking or
scootering, which can also directly enhance your health. Or take public
transportation. If you must drive, consider getting an electric car,
which can save fuel costs as well as protect the environment.

How about a dietary inventory, one that can enhance your health both
directly and indirectly? Cutting back on or cutting out red meat to
reduce greenhouse gases, relying instead on plant-based foods, is the
perfect start to a healthier planet and its human inhabitants.

Reduce waste. Currently, Dr. Jackson said, 30 percent of our food is
wasted. Buy only what you need and use it before it spoils. Support
organizations like City Harvest, which distributes unsold food from
stores and unused food from restaurants to those in need.

Reuse or recycle materials instead of throwing out everything you no
longer want nor need.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/well/eat/climate-change-health.html

[watch out]
*Wildfire smoke may carry ‘mind-bending’ amounts of fungi and bacteria,
scientists say*
JOSEPH SERNA - FEB. 1, 2021
When wildfires roar through a forest and bulldozers dig into the earth
to stop advancing flames, they may be churning more into the air than
just clouds of dust and smoke, scientists say.

Those dark, billowing plumes of smoke that rise on waves of heat during
the day and sink into valleys as the night air cools may be transporting
countless living microbes that can seep into our lungs or cling to our
skin and clothing, according to research published recently in Science.
In some cases, researchers fear that airborne pathogens could sicken
firefighters or downwind residents.

“We were inspired to write this because we recognize that there are many
trillions of microbes in smoke that haven’t really been incorporated in
an understanding ... of human health,” said Leda Kobziar, the University
of Idaho’s wildland fire science director. “At this point, it’s really
unknown. The diversity of microbes that we’ve found are really
mind-bending.”

As this recent fire seasons suggests, the need to understand what’s in
the wildfire smoke we can’t help but breathe and how it may affect us
has never been more pronounced, but scientists say we are seriously
behind the curve.

Wildfires burned across more than 10.2 million acres of the United
States in 2020, federal statistics show, including some 4.2 million
acres in California, where a greater number of residents were exposed to
smoke for a longer period of time than ever before.

Wildfire smoke now accounts for up to half of all fine-particle
pollution in the Western U.S., according to researchers. Although there
are many studies on the long-term impacts to human health from urban air
pollution and short-term impacts from wildfire smoke, there’s little
known about the multitude of ways the latter can hurt us over a lifetime.

“Frankly, we don’t really know about the long-term effects of wildfire
smoke because community exposures haven’t been long-term before,” said
Dr. John Balmes, a professor of medicine at UC San Francisco and a
member of the California Air Resources Board.

But humans — and Californians in particular — should expect to inhale
more wildfire smoke in the future.

Scientists say the planet will continue warming for decades to come,
even if humans suddenly collectively act to stop climate change. This
warming, and other factors, are contributing to ever more destructive
wildfires. The state’s forests, meanwhile, are struggling to adapt and
native plants are being displaced by faster-burning invasive species.

Add to those trends a global pandemic that attacks the respiratory
system, and microbe-filled fire smoke every year could be considered a
growing health risk, researchers say. They wonder whether microbes in
wildfire smoke could make cancer patients more vulnerable to infections
or make children with asthma more prone to developing pneumonia.

Scientists believe some microbes survive and even proliferate in
wildfire, where heat scorches the ground and leaves behind a layer of
carbon that shields microbes within the earth from intense heat. Others
survive in the air because wildfire particulates can absorb the sun’s
otherwise lethal ultraviolet radiation, the scientists said. And still
other spores are likely spread on wind currents caused by fire.

Kobziar and study co-author George Thompson III, an associate professor
of medicine at UC Davis, said that up until now, the connection between
microbes and wildfires has been anecdotal — such as the tendency for
wildland firefighters to get sick with Valley fever after working on an
incident. The illness is contracted by inhaling spores of the fungi
genus Coccidioides.

“We have more questions than answers at this point,” Thompson said. “Our
lungs are exposed to pathogens every day we don’t think much of. But
[what] if we increase the number of microbes in there with fire?”

In 2018, for example, the Kern County Fire Department sought a $100,000
grant to get assistance in cutting fuel breaks — which disturb the soil
— because their firefighters would get sick after doing the work. Data
show that Valley fever cases spike on the county’s valley floor every
fall, just as fire season is underway in the surrounding hills.

“Aerosolized, microbes, spores, or fungal conidia … have the potential
to travel hundreds of miles, depending on fire behavior and atmospheric
conditions, and are eventually deposited or inhaled downwind of a fire,”
Kobziar and Thompson wrote in their paper.

Yet, determining what pathogens exist in wildfire smoke has been difficult.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NASA and team of
chemists, physicists, biologists and forest and fire ecologists from a
number of universities have been collaborating for years to study
wildfire smoke around the country, under the assumption that nobody will
be immune to its effects in the future.

“As the climate changes, as the temperature warms up, as we build houses
in places that are surrounded by human populations and housing
development expand into regions susceptible to fires, it’s a matter of
time,” said Berry Lefero, manager of NASA’s Tropospheric Composition
Program, which includes a DC-8 jetliner that circles the globe studying
wildfire smoke, ozone and aerosols in the atmosphere’s lower layer.

Through the combined work of these researchers, scientists hope, the
public and healthcare workers will one day be able to receive timely,
accurate forecasts on where wildfire smoke will go, what specific health
hazards it poses, and what people in its path should do to prepare
beyond the boilerplate advice to stay indoors.

To solve the riddle of what microbes are in the smoke and why, Kobziar
and Thompson need to understand what type of fuel is burning, like a
grass, shrub, or tree; how much of it there was initially; how severely
it was burned (was it just scorched black or completely reduced to ash
or something in between?); and where the smoke originated.

Once those variables are determined, there’s the complicated task of
actually capturing the smoke, which is by no means uniform, Kobziar said.

In September, Kobziar, a former firefighter, used a drone to capture
samples of the air over Idaho when it was inundated with smoke from
fires in Eastern Washington and Oregon. She then placed the samples in a
petri dish, added some food that microbes like to eat and waited to see
what would happen.

“Even a couple hundred miles away from the source of the smoke, it was
still significant,” Kobziar said. “We’re still trying to isolate all the
things we found.”

Tim Edwards, president of the firefighters union Local 2881, which
represents thousands in the California Department of Forestry and Fire
Protection, hope the scientists’ work can boost his own efforts to get
wildland firefighters respirators, since they typically just rely on
face masks or bandanas — unlike their urban firefighting counterparts.

It’s not only the dust kicked up in a fire that gets crews sick, Edwards
said.

“Now, in a wildland conflagration, you have 1,000 homes burning,” he
said. “You burn the house, you don’t know what chemicals they have in
that house, all that is on fire and that’s going in your lungs.”
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-02-01/wildfire-smoke-microbes-in-the-air

[maybe a cultural/ethical/transformation]*
*February 8, 2021 Issue
*How a Young Activist Is Helping Pope Francis Battle Climate Change*
Molly Burhans wants the Catholic Church to put its assets—which include
farms, forests, oil wells, and millions of acres of land—to better use.
But, first, she has to map them.

By David Owen - February 1, 2021*
*- -
She enrolled at Mercyhurst University, in Pennsylvania, in 2007,
intending to major in dance, but she withdrew in the fall of her
sophomore year, among other reasons because she had suffered a
debilitating foot injury, and because she had walked in on a student who
was trying to kill herself. She returned to her parents’ house, in
Buffalo, and, after a period of dejection, became involved in the city’s
arts community. She took advantage of a policy at Canisius that allowed
the children of faculty members to study tuition-free. She eventually
majored in philosophy, but she also studied science, mathematics, and
art. She told me that in high school she’d been so focussed on ballet
that she was never much of a student; now she devoted herself to
academics with the same intensity that she’d once devoted to dance. She
spent six months travelling, by herself, in Guatemala, where she
volunteered with several N.G.O.s. “What I learned there is that land is
a critical vehicle not only for food security and ecosystem support but
also for helping people in rural poverty get out of poverty,” she said.
She was surprised by some of the friends she made. “They were
Christians, but not like the Christians you see on TV—none of the
prosperity gospel crap,” she said. “In fact, exactly the opposite. I
began to think, Maybe I’m a Christian.”..
- -*
*Burhans is still in contact with officials at the Vatican, and she has
faith that the Pope will eventually return to her proposal. “If the
Vatican suddenly says yes, I’ll drop everything and go,” she told me. In
the meantime, though, GoodLands plans to expand its mission to include
lay clients, both for-profit and nonprofit: real-estate companies,
asset-management firms, universities, land trusts, and similar
organizations. She has turned away such clients in the past, but will do
so no longer. “The same approach that we’ve used for Catholic properties
can be used for other landholders,” she said. “What we do has value for
any large property owner who cares about the environment, and in order
to scale this work we need to serve everyone.” She isn’t certain, yet,
how to make all that happen. But she has ideas.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/02/08/how-a-young-activist-is-helping-pope-francis-battle-climate-change*

[Latest battle]*
**Texas governor threatens to sue Joe Biden because of his ‘hostile’
agenda to tackle climate crisis
*Abbott calls on every state agency to challenge federal action that
threatens oil and gas industry/*
*/
Texas governor Greg Abbott pledged to fight climate crisis executive
orders signed by Joe Biden that he claims will undercut his state’s oil
and gas production.

Through his own executive order, the governor authorised state agencies
to bring legal challenges to policies implemented by the new president
and his administration.

“When it comes to threats to your jobs, you have a governor who has your
back,” Mr Abbott told workers at an oilfield service firm where he
signed his order. “Texas is going to protect the oil and gas industry
from any type of hostile attack from Washington.”

On Wednesday Mr Biden unveiled a series of orders designed to combat
climate change that energy producing states see as a threat to their
core businesses./*
*/
The president made climate change a national security concern, ordered a
pause in new oil and gas leases on federal land, and cut subsidies as
part of his drive to transition away from fossil fuels.

He also directed federal agencies to “procure carbon pollution-free
electricity and clean, zero-emission vehicles to create good-paying,
union jobs and stimulate clean energy industries.”

Mr Biden hopes to set the country on a path to decarbonise the power
sector by 2035, and reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

When Mr Abbott was the state's attorney general during the Obama
administration he sued the federal government 31 times — mostly over
environmental legislation and regulation.

Ken Paxton, the current attorney general of Texas, has already
challenged the new administration by asking a federal judge to
temporarily block enforcement of a Department of Homeland Security
directive establishing a 100-day halt to most deportations.
"This is a homework assignment for every state agency in Texas," he added.

The governor also plans to prohibit cities in Texas from banning natural
gas appliances under a state bill he intends to file.

Texas produces more than 40 per cent of the nation's crude oil, and just
under a quarter of its natural gas. The oil and gas industry makes up
approximately one third of the gross state product.

Environmentalists argue that the governor’s order is misguided given the
severity of climate change’s impacts on the state from hurricanes,
storms, flooding, and extreme heat waves./*
*/https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/texas-sue-biden-climate-crisis-b1795752.html/*
*/

/*
*/

/*
*/

[information battleground]
*How to spot the tricks Big Oil uses to subvert action on climate change*
Three ways fossil fuel companies try to trick the public.
  By Jariel Arvin -  Feb 1, 2021
In his first week in office, President Joe Biden committed to an
all-of-government approach to tackle climate change, signing executive
orders recommitting the US to the Paris climate agreement, pausing new
leases for oil and gas companies on federal land, and stating his
intention to conserve 30 percent of federal lands by 2030.

Yet while Biden’s climate actions have been lauded by many, there are
some, often with connections to the fossil fuel industry, who strongly
oppose taking stronger action on climate.

Many such detractors use common oil-industry talking points in their
arguments — talking points that have been developed in collaboration
with PR firms and lobbyists to undercut clean energy policies and
prolong dependence on fossil fuels.

A 2019 report by researchers at George Mason, Harvard University, and
the University of Bristol describes how the fossil fuel industry
deliberately misled the public by funding climate denial research and
campaigns all while knowing for decades that human-induced climate
change exists.

Aware of the science but afraid of the impacts it might have on their
returns, oil executives funded opposition research that “attacked
consensus and exaggerated the uncertainties” on the science of climate
change for many years with the goal of undermining support for climate
action.

Their messaging has worked for so long because Big Oil has become really
good at stretching the truth.

“What’s really important to keep in mind is that part of the reason that
oil and gas propaganda is so effective is that there is always a grain
of truth to it,” said Genevieve Guenther, the founder of End Climate
Silence, an organization that works to promote accurate media coverage
of the climate crisis.

“I call it ‘sort of true,’ where there’s something about the messaging
that’s true, but that grain of truth gets developed into a whole tangle
of lies that obscure the real story,” Guenther said.

Guenther, originally a professor of Renaissance literature, is also
working on a book titled The Language of Climate Change. I spoke with
her to get a better understanding of how to recognize — and counter —
Big Oil propaganda.

As the Biden administration takes important steps to address the climate
emergency, the fossil fuel industry and its allies in the media will be
ramping up the misinformation campaign to skew public opinion and get in
the way of climate policy. Fox News has already started.

Which is why it’s more important than ever to be aware of the tools oil
and gas companies use to cloud the issue.

My conversation with Guenther, edited for length and clarity, is below.

*Jariel Arvin*
I’d like to start with your thoughts on how the Biden administration is
handling climate change so far.

*Genevieve Guenther*
I think that the Biden administration has come a really long way since
the beginning of the [2020] primaries. I think that the Sunrise Movement
and Evergreen Action folks, and other activists connected to Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez and Jay Inslee, have done an amazing job, basically
schooling Biden on climate.

So far, Biden’s the best president on climate that we have had. But I’m
not quite ready to do a backflip and wave my pom-poms yet, though,
because I know that his major plan, which is to decarbonize the power
grid by 2035, will need to be routed in some way through Congress.

I am anticipating that’s not going to be easy and expect a massive PR
blitz [from the fossil fuel industry], which is going to be timed for
the attempt to pass this plan, whether directly or through budget
reconciliation. And I worry that the Biden administration, and the
climate movement more broadly, might not be ready,

*Jariel Arvin*
So what are the talking points the oil industry uses to try to convince
the public in these PR blitzes?

*Genevieve Guenther*
People can recognize fossil fuel industry talking points by thinking
about what they’re designed to do. In general, fossil fuel talking
points are designed to do three things: make people believe that climate
action will hurt them, and hurt their pocketbooks in particular; make
people think we need fossil fuels; and try to convince us that climate
change isn’t such a big deal.

*Jariel Arvin*
How do they make people believe that taking climate action is going to
hurt them financially?

*Genevieve Guenther*
Right now, they’re really hammering the point that climate action is
going to hurt jobs and the economy. So, for instance, Sen. Ted Cruz
released a press statement saying that by rejoining the Paris climate
accords, Biden is showing that “he’s more interested in the views of the
citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh.”

*Jariel Arvin*
Yeah, and we also saw Rep. Lauren Boebert make a similar statement
saying she works for “the people of Pueblo, not the people of Paris” and
that the Paris agreement would put “blue-collar jobs at risk.”

*Genevieve Guenther*
Yeah, exactly. So Cruz is arguing that Democrats plan to destroy the
jobs they don’t like, including thousands of manufacturing jobs. This is
completely false, because building out clean energy infrastructure is
going to create millions of manufacturing jobs in this country which
can’t be outsourced.

And whatever fossil fuel jobs have been lost in the past year happened
a) on Trump’s watch, and b) due to market forces that have absolutely
nothing to do with any explicit climate policy passed by any administration.

*Jariel Arvin*
So if the claim is untrue, how has the idea that taking action on
climate change will cause millions of job losses become so pervasive?

*Genevieve Guenther*
There’s a mythology in this country of the coal miner and the oil and
gas worker, as the kind of exemplary masculine figure who acts as the
backbone of America.

*Jariel Arvin*
Do you think there’s any truth to that?

*Genevieve Guenther*
It is true that if we phase out the fossil fuel industry there are going
to be people, and indeed whole communities, that will need to find their
livelihood in different industries. That is absolutely true.

But two things about that: Number one, you can design policies so that
those people don’t suffer, and number two, you can put incentives in
place so that the new jobs are created in the geographical regions that
are already depopulated and suffering economically, because the fossil
fuel industry is not actually prosperous enough anymore to sustain a
vibrant economy in those regions to begin with.

So, you can set up both: policies to ease the transition and policies to
incentivize new investment so that the economy ends up more vibrant in
these locations than it was before. Nothing is inevitable. The
transition can be managed.

*Jariel Arvin*
Okay, so what’s the second talking point oil and gas uses?

*Genevieve Guenther*
The second thing oil and gas companies will do is try to make people
believe that we need fossil fuels, and that oil and gas companies should
stay in business.

One I’ve seen a lot lately raises people’s national security fears with
the message that we need to extract oil to maintain our “energy
independence,” as if domestically produced fossil energy alone were
powering America’s homes and businesses.

The truth is that, according to the US Energy Information Agency, in
2019 (the latest year for which full data is available) the US imported
9.14 million barrels of petroleum a day — half a million more than we
exported. It’s clean, safe energy sources like wind and solar that are
sure to be domestically produced, not oil and methane gas.
*
**Jariel Arvin*
So they act as if US independence will be lost without fossil fuels,
while in reality America still depends on other countries to get its oil
and gas. Got it. What else?

*Genevieve Guenther*
Another talking point designed to make us believe that we need fossil
fuels is the message that we cannot halt global warming without
“innovation.” This is a tricky one, because you’ll often hear energy
researchers talk about the innovations we’ll want to develop in order to
enable continued aviation and industrial shipping.

But saying that new technologies will help us is different from saying
that we need them, which implies that the world cannot stop using fossil
fuels now. So politicians in the pockets of the oil and gas producers
will proclaim that they support “innovation,” and fossil fuel companies
will place ads touting the money they’re spending on research and
development— but the money they actually do spend is orders of magnitude
smaller than their PR budgets, not to mention their budgets for
exploring and developing new fossil fuel reserves.

*Jariel Arvin*
What’s the third big talking point?

*Genevieve Guenther*
The third thing Big Oil will try to do is to make people believe that
climate change is not such a big deal. Either they call people trying to
communicate the dangers of global warming “alarmists,” or they simply
don’t talk about the climate crisis at all.

In their campaign of silence they’re aided by the vast majority of the
broadcast news media, which mostly proceeds as if the crisis didn’t
exist and won’t even mention the words “climate change” when they report
on floods, fires, and hurricanes in which there are scientifically
established links to global warming.

It’s weird to think of silence as messaging, but sometimes what you
don’t say is as important as what you do.

*Jariel Arvin*
Okay, so we now have the three points the fossil fuel industry often
uses: Convince people climate action will hurt their pocketbooks,
suggest that we need fossil fuels, and downplay the climate emergency.
How do climate scientists, activists, and the media counter that narrative?
*
**Genevieve Guenther*
We’ve got to keep climate change in the foreground of people’s
attention. We’ve got to be clear about why we’re making this energy
transition — it’s not just because it’s a new way to create jobs, and
it’s not just because we like clean air and water.

It’s because if we don’t do it, we might actually destroy civilization.

We’re not going to change up everything unless we have to, and guess
what? We have to. This is what an existential threat means.

I worry that the Biden administration isn’t bringing that message to the
foreground, because you need that to be part of the understanding of why
we’re doing this work.

The motivation here is that we’re trying to save our world. We’re trying
to save the lives of our children. I think activists do a pretty good
job of keeping that messaging in the foreground, but I really wish that
politicians would do it too. I think they’re still running scared, and I
don’t think they have to be.
https://www.vox.com/22260311/oil-gas-fossil-fuel-companies-climate-change

[maybe sooner, by the middle of the century]
*Why Phoenix may be uninhabitable by the end of this century*
Factors like climate change and the destruction of urban foliage are
causing cities like Phoenix to overheat
By MATTHEW ROZSA
FEBRUARY 1, 2021

"There will come a day when the temperature won't fall below 100 degrees
in Phoenix during the nighttime," Dr. Andrew Ross, a professor of social
and cultural analysis at New York University who wrote "Bird on Fire:
Lessons from the World's Least Sustainable City," told Salon. "That will
be a threshold of some kind."

The American Southwest has long been a refuge for those seeking the
health benefits of warm, dry air and sunny days. But too much of a good
thing is not a good thing — for human health or for the natural
ecosystem. Now, the Southwest is facing a reckoning: decades of human
development, coupled with rising global temperatures as a result of
carbon emissions, means that many major cities in the Southwest may
become uninhabitable for humans this century.

The reason has to do with something called the Heat Island Effect, a
concept that describes the effect in which the densely-populated,
central parts of a city with lots of concrete and asphalt will have
higher temperatures compared to the less populous areas, as Dr. Juan
Declet-Barreto, senior social scientist at the Union of Concerned
Scientists, explained to Salon. The term "island" is not a metaphor
here, Declet-Barreto said, because when you look at a thermal map of
many cities, "the temperatures inside the central parts of a city
resemble an island, surrounded by a cooler ocean in the surrounding more
rural areas." Obviously, the effect is apt to be more dire in desert
cities like Phoenix.

Sarah Mincey, associate professor at Indiana University's O'Neill School
of Public and Environmental Affairs, added that the Heat Island Effect
is caused by urban centers gradually losing their tree canopies, meaning
that sunlight is absorbed and held in by materials like roads and
rooftops, which are typically darker in color. When they finally do
release that heat back into the air, it increases the temperature
experienced by the people in those urban environments.

"Tree canopies mitigate this as they can shade these surfaces, avoiding
the absorption of heat in the first place and through the cooling
effects of transpiration – releasing of moisture into their surrounding
environments," Mincey explained. "In general, western US cities have
less urban tree canopy cover than eastern US cities, so mitigation of
UHI [Urban Heat Islands] there is likely more difficult."

Declet-Barreto offered the following metaphor to understand how it works.

"If you think about how hot it would be, imagine yourself standing on a
downtown area where there is little, maybe no shade, no trees, and in
the middle of the summer," Declet-Barreto told Salon. "And then you
think about standing in that same spot, but imagine that that spot was
to be replaced by turf grass under your feet and some three canopy above
you. Then intuitively you can imagine that it will be a lot cooler when
you're standing underneath the tree, as compared to being standing out
in the bare sun."

As Dr. B.D. Wortham-Galvin, associate professor in the School of
Architecture at Clemson University, explained to Salon by email, the
Heat Island Effect is worsened by climate change.

"Over the coming decades, climate change will increase extreme weather
events, raise temperatures while cities simultaneously increase in
population density," Wortham-Galvin explained. "This confluence of
events means that all cities, but US Southern cities in particular, will
begin to experience the Heat Island Effect more frequently and within
more intra-urban locales. Without a Heat Equity and Resiliency plan,
more urban residents will suffer negative health and economic impacts."

In Phoenix specifically, the negative aspects of the Heat Island Effect
will also be exacerbated by ongoing infrastructure projects that
exacerbate resource scarcity issues. Water infrastructure in Arizona is
already tenuous, as human habitation in both Phoenix and Tucson is
dependent on the Central Arizona River Project, a massive infrastructure
project that diverts water from the Colorado River to central and
southern Arizona.

"That's how Phoenix and Tucson and large metro areas get their water...
It doesn't have a direct impact on the heat, but obviously in a region
that is drying out and has always had water scarcity, then every drop of
water is a cause for concern — where the next bucket is coming from, how
much it costs," Ross said.

Ross also noted that, because water levels in Lake Powell (located in
Utah and Arizona) and Lake Mead (located in Nevada and Arizona) are
dropping, "there are sort of crisis-type responses are being proposed.
One of which I think is called demand management, which is basically
states paying farmers not to use the water that they're entitled to so
that it can service cities instead."

Ross also pointed to the problem with the materials used to construct
houses in the southwestern states. "We're not talking about adobe
traditional structures, which are very climate appropriate for the
Southwest," he said. "Builders don't build adobe houses anymore." He
described a lot of the houses that are built as "energy pigs" which are
"not designed to be climate appropriate."

The Heat Island Effect, like so many other ecological issues, also has a
disproportionate impact on people from more marginalized backgrounds.

"The elevated air and structure temperatures from Urban Heat Island
Effects not only increase energy consumption, but also air pollution and
greenhouse gas emission and, therefore, have a negative effect on urban
ecosystems," Wortham-Galvin wrote to Salon. "Heat Islands in cities
disproportionately impact the most vulnerable populations, to include:
the elderly, children, and those with pre-existing health conditions.
The development of policies and practices that ameliorate the Heat
Island Effect is also, thus, an equity issue. Certain neighborhoods
within cities can often be hotter than others; particularly those
without an existing significant number of green spaces, trees, and roof
gardens. Those same neighborhoods may have a disproportionate number of
residents without access to cooling and at greater risk."

Mincey echoed this observation, writing to Salon that recent research
has found "tree canopy cover is lowest in low-income and minority
communities" and that, within 100 American cities, "formerly redlined
neighborhoods – more likely low-income and minority communities – are
today five degrees hotter in summer, on average, than areas once favored
for housing loans with a couple western cities – Portland and Denver –
seeing greater than 12 degrees hotter in summer in the parts of these
cities haunted by redlining legacies."

While America's western cities are obviously going to be heavily
impacted by this, the problem is an international one.

"It's not just a desert city," Declet-Barreto told Salon. "Every single
place where there is a built environment, where there are cities and
roadways and glass and pavement and buildings and highways and cars and
air conditioning and so on, are going to be hotter than the surrounding
areas where it's a little more rural or less." As a result "we see
cities not just like the ones you mentioned, — Phoenix, Las Vegas,
Tucson — but many in India, many in the Persian Gulf, that, as climate
change continues unabated, are facing significant threats to the
population."

Declet-Barreto said that "extreme heat episodes" are going to "increase
in frequency and magnitude and length." Indeed, scientists predict that
by 2060, Phoenix will have 132 days — over a third of the year — with
100 degree temperatures. Extreme heat limits the ability of airlines to
take off and causes heat deaths: 172 people died of heat in 2017, which
will undoubtedly be cooler than 2060. One wonders if anyone will want to
live there by then.

MATTHEW ROZSA
Matthew Rozsa is a staff writer for Salon. He holds an MA in History
from Rutgers University-Newark and is ABD in his PhD program in History
at Lehigh University. His work has appeared in Mic, Quartz and MSNBC.
https://www.salon.com/2021/01/31/why-phoenix-may-be-uninhabitable-by-the-end-of-this-century/

*On this day in the history of global warming - February 2, 2007 *

The 4th IPCC report is released.

http://youtu.be/rBHjVN0dn6A

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/conference-on-global-warming/

http://abcnews.go.com/International/video/global-warming-fault-2843769

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/bleak-assessment-global-warming-2845826

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.