[TheClimate.Vote] February 7, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Feb 7 09:02:03 EST 2021

/*February 7, 2021*/

[SuperBowl TV Commercial indicates paradigm shift]
*GM is all-in for electric vehicles in this new Super Bowl ad. What
changed?*
The company has a long history of obstructing climate policies.
- -
It will likely cost the automaker upward of $10 million to run the ad on
Sunday, and it follows GM’s announcement that it aspires to eliminate
tailpipe emissions from all its new light-duty vehicles by 2035.
Transportation is the largest source of US greenhouse gas emissions, so
this commitment from the country’s largest car manufacturer represents a
new level of corporate ambition to bring down these emissions.

But the concerns of Will Ferrell’s character — who furrows his brow in
incredulity — are valid: The US indeed lags way behind Norway in EV
sales. International Energy Agency data shows that Norway surged past
the rest of the world, with a 56 percent EV market share for sales in
2019 while they were just 2 percent in the US.

And some environmental advocates pointed out the hypocrisy of a GM ad
expressing any surprise at the state of US EV adoption, given the
company’s history.

GM has itself to blame, in part, advocates say, for the US trailing
Norway in EV market share after decades of lobbying against government
efforts to rein in emissions and gas consumption....
- -
*GM’s history of opposing climate action*
GM’s embrace of electric vehicles is a major about-face from four years
ago. According to the New York Times, the company’s CEO, Mary Barra, met
with President Trump soon after he took office and requested that he
undo President Obama’s CAFE fuel economy standards — regulations that
would have required the auto giant’s new vehicles to reach 54.5 miles
per gallon by 2026. Trump’s watered-down regulations mean new US cars
will only need to reach 40 miles per gallon. The research firm Rhodium
Group calculated that Trump’s deregulation moves in the transportation
sector were the most damaging rollbacks for carbon emissions during his
administration.

On top of that, when the Trump administration tried to strip California
of its authority to set its own higher fuel efficiency standards, GM and
other automakers also sided with the Trump administration in the ensuing
lawsuit...
- -
Geoffrey Supran, a Harvard research fellow who studies the fossil fuel
industry’s climate denial, called attention to GM’s long history of
obstruction in response to the Super Bowl ad:
GM's new EV ad is entertaining for sure. But it also:

    1 Discourages carpooling  [but then so does Covid]

    2 Promotes misplaced American exceptionalism

    3 Disregards GM's decades undermining climate science & pollution regs

    4 Fails to note Norway's success is due to progressive taxes & policies

https://twitter.com/GeoffreySupran/status/1357349499312754688

GM’s U-turn seems to be in part because the market has forced its hand.
As the New York Times reported, two giant auto markets — China and
California — have committed to 100 percent EV (including hybrids in
China’s case) sales by 2035. President Joe Biden has also said the US
will phase out internal combustion engine vehicles, although he hasn’t
set a date yet.
https://www.vox.com/2021/2/5/22266732/super-bowl-general-motors-will-ferrell-electric-vehicles-awkwafina-kenan-thompson

[paleoclimatology text and audio from The Atlantic]
*The Terrifying Warning Lurking in the Earth’s Ancient Rock Record*
Our climate models could be missing something big.
Story by Peter Brannen
- -
Taking in the whole sweep of Earth’s history, now we see how unnatural,
nightmarish, and profound our current experiment on the planet really
is. A small population of our particular species of primate has, in only
a few decades, unlocked a massive reservoir of old carbon slumbering in
the Earth, gathering since the dawn of life, and set off on a global
immolation of Earth’s history to power the modern world. As a result, up
to half of the tropical coral reefs on Earth have died, 10 trillion tons
of ice have melted, the ocean has grown 30 percent more acidic, and
global temperatures have spiked. If we keep going down this path for a
geologic nanosecond longer, who knows what will happen? The next few
fleeting moments are ours, but they will echo for hundreds of thousands,
even millions, of years. This is one of the most important times to be
alive in the history of life.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/03/extreme-climate-change-history/617793/

[The Guardian reports on California]
*California’s famed Highway 1 collapsed last week. It’s sure to happen
again*
The iconic coastal road has a history of landslides, and experts say ‘it
would not be surprising’ to see them happening more frequently
California’s Highway 1 has been ruptured by a landslide that is expected
to keep 23 miles of the iconic road snaking through the state’s rugged
coastal cliffs closed for months.

A severe winter rain storm last week caused a 150ft fissure along the
picturesque thoroughfare tucked against Big Sur, with concrete, trees
and mud falling into the sea below.

It’s not the first time. Landslides have been a longstanding feature of
Highway 1. And with climate change and a deluge in tourism and traffic
overwhelming both infrastructure and environmental ecosystems in the
coastal region, the problems are only expected to get worse...
- -
Severe weather combinations like the one that occurred last week are no
longer an anomaly. They fall in line with climate crisis trends and
models marked by hot dry summers, bigger fires and long periods of
drought peppered by intense rainstorms that cause floods and landslides.

“There is no question that climate change is occurring,” said Griggs,
the coastal scientist. “It would not be surprising to see this happening
more frequently.”

It’s not just fires, rain and landslides that threaten Highway 1 – parts
are also being ravaged by the sea. Farther north at Gleason beach in
Sonoma county, Caltrans has given up on preserving the route and has
instead opted to build new sections farther inland. Smashed seawalls –
remnants of attempts to buy more time against the encroaching waves –
already line the shore. The state sank millions into emergency
restorations as the coastline continued to erode by roughly 14 inches on
average each year...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/06/california-highway-1-landslide-climate-crisis

[in November]
*UN names Mike Bloomberg special envoy for climate change*
The appointment comes ahead of the COP 26 climate summit set to take
place in Scotland later this year.
The UN said Bloomberg will work with governments, businesses, cities and
financial institutions to secure new pledges to significantly reduce
emissions over the next several decades.

He will also work with high-emitting nations and industries to
accelerate the phase out of coal and a transition to a clean energy
economy.

Bloomberg, who has campaigned on the issue of climate change, previously
held roles as UN Special Envoy for Climate Action in 2018 and UN Special
Envoy on Cities and Climate Change in 2014.

“Fighting climate change is a global challenge that requires strong
global collaboration. I’m honored to be returning as Special Envoy to
the UN Secretary-General to help drive the fight forward and secure a
greener, healthier future for generations to come,” Bloomberg said in a
statement.

The appointment comes as the Biden administration has moved forward to
rejoin the Paris climate accord, reversing former President Trump’s
withdrawal from the pact aimed at limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees
Celsius by the end of the century...
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/climate-change/537609-un-names-mike-bloomberg-special-envoy-for

[What? --"may be" ?!?   "may be"?]
Capital Weather Gang of the Washington Post
*Recent blockbuster snow totals along East Coast may be tied to climate
change*
Above-average sea-surface temperatures off the East Coast are adding
more moisture to the atmosphere.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/02/05/snowfall-records-climate-change-northeast/

[Well, duh..]
*Climate change "may have played a key role" in coronavirus pandemic,
study says*
BY JEFF BERARDELLI
FEBRUARY 5, 2021 - CBS NEWS
- -
Beyer does agree that "caution is well-justified" when it comes to
connecting climate change directly to the pandemic because, as he
explains, assessing the degree to which climate change contributed to
any stage between a bat carrying the virus and a human getting infected
will take a lot more work. In particular, he says, this involves the use
of epidemiological models that analyze the interactions of different
species and viruses across space and time.

While it's widely understood that exponential growth of the human
population, and our rampant exploitation of the natural world, like
destroying forests and expanding the animal trade, is increasing the
risk that contagious pathogens can more easily make the jump from
animals to humans, it has been less clear the extent to which climate
change factors in...
- -
Beyer also sees climate connections beyond just the increase in bat
species. "In some cases, higher temperatures can increase the viral load
in species, which can make it more likely that the virus is
transmitted," he said. "And: Increased temperature can increase the
tolerance of viruses to heat, which in turn can increase infection rates
since one of our primary defense systems to infectious diseases is to
raise our body temperature (fever)."

While there is some caution in the scientific community about the
specific impact of climate change on the current coronavirus pandemic,
there is widespread agreement that, in the future, climate change will
be a growing driver of emerging infectious disease and pandemics.

"Climate change will shift the geographic distributions of
pathogen-carrying species in such a way that they overlap with species
that they did not overlap with before," said Beyer. "These new
interactions will provide dangerous opportunities for viruses to spread
and evolve."

"Climate change definitely is an important driver in disease emergence
and spread.  It can increase transmission in a number of ways," said
Ostfeld. "So, yes, climate change definitely concerns me as a driver of
future pandemics."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-coronavirus-bats-study/

[14 min video ]
*Carbon Dioxide Reduction. A BIG loophole for business*
Feb 1, 2021
Just Have a Think
Carbon Audits and carbon taxes are coming. And big business knows it.
Some are responding by investing heavily in genuine reductions to their
carbon footprint. Others are banking on throwing money at carbon offset
schemes like large scale reforestation to enable them to carry on
business as usual. But with limited suitable land available, that may
prove to be a very dangerous gamble indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGoOmUIYVSo

[information battleground]
*How to spot the tricks Big Oil uses to subvert action on climate change*
Three ways fossil fuel companies try to trick the public.
By Jariel Arvin --  Feb 1, 2021

In his first week in office, President Joe Biden committed to an
all-of-government approach to tackle climate change, signing executive
orders recommitting the US to the Paris climate agreement, pausing new
leases for oil and gas companies on federal land, and stating his
intention to conserve 30 percent of federal lands by 2030.

Yet while Biden’s climate actions have been lauded by many, there are
some, often with connections to the fossil fuel industry, who strongly
oppose taking stronger action on climate.

Many such detractors use common oil industry talking points in their
arguments — talking points that have been developed in collaboration
with PR firms and lobbyists to undercut clean energy policies and
prolong dependence on fossil fuels.

A 2019 report by researchers at George Mason, Harvard University, and
the University of Bristol describes how the fossil fuel industry
deliberately misled the public by funding climate denial research and
campaigns, all while knowing for decades that human-induced climate
change exists.

Aware of the science but afraid of the impacts it might have on their
returns, oil executives funded opposition research that “attacked
consensus and exaggerated the uncertainties” on the science of climate
change for many years, with the goal of undermining support for climate
action.

Their messaging has worked for so long because Big Oil has become really
good at stretching the truth.

“What’s really important to keep in mind is that part of the reason that
oil and gas propaganda is so effective is that there is always a grain
of truth to it,” said Genevieve Guenther, the founder of End Climate
Silence, an organization that works to promote accurate media coverage
of the climate crisis.

“I call it ‘sort of true,’ where there’s something about the messaging
that’s true, but that grain of truth gets developed into a whole tangle
of lies that obscure the real story,” she said.

Guenther, originally a professor of Renaissance literature, is also
working on a book titled The Language of Climate Change. I spoke with
her to get a better understanding of how to recognize — and counter —
Big Oil propaganda.

As the Biden administration takes important steps to address the climate
emergency, the fossil fuel industry and its allies in the media will be
ramping up the misinformation campaign to skew public opinion and get in
the way of climate policy. Fox News has already started.

Which is why it’s more important than ever to be aware of the tools oil
and gas companies use to cloud the issue.

My conversation with Guenther, edited for length and clarity, is below.

*Jariel Arvin*
I’d like to start with your thoughts on how the Biden administration is
handling climate change so far.

*Genevieve Guenther*
I think that the Biden administration has come a really long way since
the beginning of the [2020] primaries. I think that the Sunrise Movement
and Evergreen Action folks, and other activists connected to Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez and Jay Inslee, have done an amazing job, basically
schooling Biden on climate.

So far, Biden’s the best president on climate that we have had. I’m not
quite ready to do a backflip and wave my pom-poms yet, though, because I
know that his major plan, which is to decarbonize the power grid by
2035, will need to be routed in some way through Congress.

I am anticipating that’s not going to be easy and expect a massive PR
blitz [from the fossil fuel industry], which is going to be timed for
the attempt to pass this plan, whether directly or through budget
reconciliation. And I worry that the Biden administration, and the
climate movement more broadly, might not be ready,

*Jariel Arvin*
So what are the talking points the oil industry uses to try to convince
the public in these PR blitzes?

*Genevieve Guenther*
People can recognize fossil fuel industry talking points by thinking
about what they’re designed to do. In general, fossil fuel talking
points are designed to do three things: make people believe that climate
action will hurt them, and hurt their pocketbooks in particular; make
people think we need fossil fuels; and try to convince us that climate
change isn’t such a big deal.

*Jariel Arvin*
How do they make people believe that taking climate action is going to
hurt them financially?

*Genevieve Guenther*
Right now, they’re really hammering the point that climate action is
going to hurt jobs and the economy. So, for instance, Sen. Ted Cruz
released a press statement saying that by rejoining the Paris climate
accord, Biden is showing that “he’s more interested in the views of the
citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh.”

*Jariel Arvin*
Yeah, and we also saw Rep. Lauren Boebert make a similar statement
saying she works for “the people of Pueblo, not the people of Paris,”
and that the Paris agreement would put “blue-collar jobs at risk.”

*Genevieve Guenther*
Yeah, exactly. So Cruz is arguing that Democrats plan to destroy the
jobs they don’t like, including thousands of manufacturing jobs. This is
completely false, because building out clean energy infrastructure is
going to create millions of manufacturing jobs in this country which
can’t be outsourced.

And whatever fossil fuel jobs have been lost in the past year happened
a) on Trump’s watch, and b) due to market forces that have absolutely
nothing to do with any explicit climate policy passed by any administration.

*Jariel Arvin*
So if the claim is untrue, how has the idea that taking action on
climate change will cause millions of job losses become so pervasive?

*Genevieve Guenther*
There’s a mythology in this country of the coal miner and the oil and
gas worker as the kind of exemplary masculine figure who acts as the
backbone of America.

*Jariel Arvin*
Do you think there’s any truth to that?
*
**Genevieve Guenther*
It is true that if we phase out the fossil fuel industry there are going
to be people, and indeed whole communities, that will need to find their
livelihood in different industries. That is absolutely true.

But two things about that: Number one, you can design policies so that
those people don’t suffer, and number two, you can put incentives in
place so that the new jobs are created in the geographical regions that
are already depopulated and suffering economically, because the fossil
fuel industry is not actually prosperous enough anymore to sustain a
vibrant economy in those regions to begin with.

So you can set up both: policies to ease the transition and policies to
incentivize new investment so that the economy ends up more vibrant in
these locations than it was before. Nothing is inevitable. The
transition can be managed.

*Jariel Arvin*
Okay, so what’s the second talking point oil and gas uses?

*Genevieve Guenther*
The second thing oil and gas companies will do is try to make people
believe that we need fossil fuels, and that oil and gas companies should
stay in business.

One I’ve seen a lot lately raises people’s national security fears with
the message that we need to extract oil to maintain our “energy
independence,” as if domestically produced fossil energy alone were
powering America’s homes and businesses.

The truth is that, according to the US Energy Information Agency, in
2019 (the latest year for which full data is available) the US imported
9.14 million barrels of petroleum a day — half a million more than we
exported. It’s clean, safe energy sources like wind and solar that are
sure to be domestically produced, not oil and methane gas.

*Jariel Arvin*
So they act as if US independence will be lost without fossil fuels,
while in reality America still depends on other countries to get its oil
and gas. Got it. What else?
*
**Genevieve Guenther*
Another talking point designed to make us believe that we need fossil
fuels is the message that we cannot halt global warming without
“innovation.” This is a tricky one, because you’ll often hear energy
researchers talk about the innovations we’ll want to develop in order to
enable continued aviation and industrial shipping.

But saying that new technologies will help us is different from saying
that we need them, which implies that the world cannot stop using fossil
fuels now. So politicians in the pockets of the oil and gas producers
will proclaim that they support “innovation,” and fossil fuel companies
will place ads touting the money they’re spending on research and
development— but the money they actually do spend is orders of magnitude
smaller than their PR budgets, not to mention their budgets for
exploring and developing new fossil fuel reserves.

*Jariel Arvin*
What’s the third big talking point?

*Genevieve Guenther*
The third thing Big Oil will try to do is to make people believe that
climate change is not such a big deal. Either they call people trying to
communicate the dangers of global warming “alarmists” or they simply
don’t talk about the climate crisis at all.

In their campaign of silence they’re aided by the vast majority of the
broadcast news media, which mostly proceeds as if the crisis didn’t
exist and won’t even mention the words “climate change” when they report
on floods, fires, and hurricanes in which there are scientifically
established links to global warming.

It’s weird to think of silence as messaging, but sometimes what you
don’t say is as important as what you do.

*Jariel Arvin*
Okay, so we now have the three points the fossil fuel industry often
uses: Convince people climate action will hurt their pocketbooks,
suggest that we need fossil fuels, and downplay the climate emergency.
How do climate scientists, activists, and the media counter that narrative?
*
**Genevieve Guenther*
We’ve got to keep climate change in the foreground of people’s
attention. We’ve got to be clear about why we’re making this energy
transition — it’s not just because it’s a new way to create jobs, and
it’s not just because we like clean air and water.

It’s because if we don’t do it, we might actually destroy civilization.

We’re not going to change up everything unless we have to, and guess
what? We have to. This is what an existential threat means.

I worry that the Biden administration isn’t bringing that message to the
foreground, because you need that to be part of the understanding of why
we’re doing this work.

The motivation here is that we’re trying to save our world. We’re trying
to save the lives of our children. I think activists do a pretty good
job of keeping that messaging in the foreground, but I really wish that
politicians would do it too. I think they’re still running scared, and I
don’t think they have to be.
https://www.vox.com/22260311/oil-gas-fossil-fuel-companies-climate-change

[Information battles]*
**Twitter thinks ads about climate change are bad. Big Oil's
disinformation is fine, though.*
Something is off in Twitter's equation.
- -
But there is still one strain of disinformation that Americans remain
largely complacent about: disinformation spread by polluters and the
politicians they fund. Social media companies are routinely letting oil
industry climate change propaganda slip through the cracks even as they
clamp down on other political lies...
I see it all the time while reporting for my newsletter, HEATED, which
published evidence Tuesday that Twitter has been allowing the oil
industry to run misleading ads designed to prevent political action on
climate change. The ads, bought by ExxonMobil and the American Petroleum
Institute, falsely claimed, among other things, that limiting fossil
fuel development would "hinder environmental progress" and that natural
gas — a fossil fuel — is key to a "cleaner world."...
The reality is that climate scientists nearly uniformly agree that the
key to a cleaner world is reducing the use of fossil fuels (including
natural gas) and replacing them with renewable forms of energy. The
misleading nature of the ads wasn't what caught my eye, however. It was
that Twitter allowed the oil industry to pay to spread misleading
climate-related political propaganda while prohibiting anyone from doing
the same to call out that propaganda.

Twitter banned all political ads in 2019, in part as a response to the
Trump campaign's misinformation ahead of the presidential election. The
effect, however, was that everyone was banned from promoting tweets
about political issues — even climate change. And now, as recently as
Tuesday, environmental groups have publicly affirmed that they can't pay
to spread tweets fact-checking oil companies. Their tweets would be
considered prohibited "political content."

On the flip side, Twitter doesn't consider it "political" when oil
companies try to paint themselves as green. Instead, it's considered
promoting "environmental stewardship." The reality, though, is that
these oil company tweets are the newest phase of the industry's 40-year
campaign to sow doubt about the severity of the climate crisis and
persuade the public to oppose aggressive action. That's not just
according to me, a reporter who's been covering oil industry climate
disinformation since 2013. It's according to several researchers who
specialize in fossil fuel industry communications. As Robert Brulle, an
environmental sociologist who studies oil industry advertisements at
Drexel University, told me: "This is just another effort to manipulate
public opinion to support options that the corporation wants."...
- -
It's unclear whether all this is because of naiveté, willful ignorance
or psychological dissonance on the part of social media giants. What is
clear, though, is that social media companies are struggling to
effectively tackle the threat of climate propaganda and disinformation
at the worst moment possible. With a new president committed to climate
action and a slim Democratic majority in Congress, the U.S. is entering
the most critical political moment for climate policy in our lifetimes.
As Ken Caldeira, a climate scientist at the Carnegie Institution,
recently told Grist: "What we do in the next years and decades will
affect the Earth for tens of thousands of years, if not longer."

What social media companies do or don't do about disinformation will be
a huge part of the equation.

"Corporations — including social media platforms — need to take climate
misinformation as seriously as they take election and Covid
misinformation," John Cook, an assistant research professor at George
Mason University who studies climate disinformation, told me. "A
long-term problem like climate change cuts both ways — it may seem less
immediate now, but it also means we'll be suffering the consequences of
today's decisions for decades to come."
https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/twitter-thinks-ads-about-climate-change-are-bad-big-oil-n1256661

*On this day in the history of global warming - February 7, 2007 *

February 7, 2007:
• Air America host Betsy Rosenberg and Competitive Enterprise Institute
representative Chris Horner discuss the recently released 4th IPCC
report on the Fox News Channel program "Hannity and Colmes."

http://youtu.be/5k267NdmiFY

• The US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation holds
a hearing on climate change research and scientific integrity, focusing
on the George W. Bush administration's slicing and dicing of science and
data. White House whistleblower Rick Piltz and Nobel laureate Sherwood
Rowland testify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9vXi61G0MU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDQD8AeORA

http://scienceblogs.com/intersection/2007/02/07/senate-fireworks-on-climate-an/

http://scienceblogs.com/integrityofscience/2007/02/07/administration-testimony-one-o/

http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2013/01/31/recalling-an-exchange-with-sen-john-kerry-about-climate-change-and-the-bush-white-house/

http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2013/06/03/recalling-an-exchange-with-sen-lautenberg/

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.