[TheClimate.Vote] February 12, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Feb 12 10:19:40 EST 2021

/*February 12, 2021*/

[Change the future by adjusting the present]
*Build Nothing New That Ultimately Leads to a Flame*
A car driving toward a fuel refinery
If “Stop burning fossil fuels” is the first principle of fighting the
climate crisis, let this be the second.
By Bill McKibben - February 10, 2021
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/build-nothing-new-that-ultimately-leads-to-a-flame

- -

[Student and professors in dialog - 1 hour  35 min video discussion]
*Role of Civil Disobedience in the Climate Movement*
Feb 11, 2012
Oxford Climate Society
https://youtu.be/27eUCq_Wklw?t=248

- -

[new book]
*How to Blow Up a Pipeline*
by Andreas Malm  (Author)
Property will cost us the earth

The science on climate change has been clear for a very long time now.
Yet despite decades of appeals, mass street protests, petition
campaigns, and peaceful demonstrations, we are still facing a booming
fossil fuel industry, rising seas, rising emission levels, and a rising
temperature. With the stakes so high, why haven't we moved beyond
peaceful protest?

In this lyrical manifesto, noted climate scholar (and saboteur of SUV
tires and coal mines) Andreas Malm makes an impassioned call for the
climate movement to escalate its tactics in the face of ecological
collapse. We need, he argues, to force fossil fuel extraction to
stop--with our actions, with our bodies, and by defusing and destroying
its tools. We need, in short, to start blowing up some oil pipelines.

Offering a counter-history of how mass popular change has occurred, from
the democratic revolutions overthrowing dictators to the movement
against apartheid and for women's suffrage, Malm argues that the
strategic acceptance of property destruction and violence has been the
only route for revolutionary change. In a braided narrative that moves
from the forests of Germany and the streets of London to the deserts of
Iraq, Malm offers us an incisive discussion of the politics and ethics
of pacifism and violence, democracy and social change, strategy and
tactics, and a movement compelled by both the heart and the mind. Here
is how we fight in a world on fire.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Blow-Pipeline-Andreas-Malm/dp/1839760257/ref=sr_1_1

- -

[popular opinion from top-pop comedienne ]
*The Treatment of Peaceful Protesters vs. Violent Insurrectionists |
Full Frontal on TBS*
Fundraiser
Feb 10, 2021
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
1.03M subscribers
Peaceful protest isn’t a crime! But if you're protesting inhumane
policies or the gutting of Medicaid at the Capitol, prepare to be
treated like a criminal. Sam sat down with activists who've been
arrested at the Capitol and plot twist: none of them are insurrectionists.
This piece was produced by Razan Ghalayini with Ishan Thakore and edited
by Daphne Gomez-Mena.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlPJRg5S7I

[finally getting good advice]
*Bill Gates, who predicted the pandemic, names the next two monster
disasters that could shake our world*
Gates was asked about the next crises the world may have to confront.
By Joseph Guzman | Feb. 11, 2021
- Gates warned several years ago that the world was unprepared for the
next endemic.
- In a recent interview, he said the next big disasters facing humanity
are climate change and bioterrorism.
- He said the number of global deaths from COVID-19 should be a tenth of
what it currently is.
-  Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates famously predicted an infectious
virus was likely to kill millions of people across the globe five years
before COVID-19 did just that.

“If anything kills over 10 million people in the next few decades, it’s
most likely to be a highly infectious virus rather than a war,” Gates
said during a 2015 Ted Talk. “We’ve actually invested very little in a
system to stop an epidemic. We’re not ready for the next epidemic.”

Our country is in a historic fight against the Coronavirus. Add Changing
America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.

Now the billionaire philanthropist has spoken on what the next big
crisis facing humanity could be. During an interview on Derek Muller’s
YouTube channel Veritasium, Gates pointed out two prominent threats
facing the modern world: climate change and bioterrorism.

“Every year that [climate change] would be a death toll even greater
than we've had in this pandemic,” Gates said during the interview.

“Also, related to pandemics is something people don't like to talk about
much, which is bioterrorism, that somebody who wants to cause damage
could engineer a virus. So that means the chance of running into this is
more than just the naturally caused epidemics like the current one,” he
said.

While Gates said there will certainly be more pandemics in the future,
he said humanity could increase its preparedness for one to the point
where the world would never have a death toll anywhere near what is
occurring today with the coronavirus outbreak, which has infected more
than 107 million people and killed more than 2.3 million around the globe.

“Pandemics can be worse in terms of the fatalities. Smallpox was over 30
percent fatality,” Gates said. “We were lucky that the fatality here is
not, not super high, but we can nip in the bud...the number of deaths
with the right system should be a tenth of what we’ve seen here.”

Gates said the world could prepare for the next pandemic by advancing
mRNA research, the technology used in the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19
vaccines, increasing testing to 10 million PCR tests a day and making
more investments in diagnostic machines and therapeutics.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/538426-bill-gates-who-predicted-the-pandemic-names-the-next-two-monster

- -

[in a newsprint document in 2009 - Richard Pauli insists that Gates
amend his ignorance of global warming ]
*First Person: Prodding the sacred cow*
RICHARD PAULI
GUEST COLUMNIST
March 1, 2009
Updated: March 25, 2011 [in this edit, the PI removed troll attacks on
this article]

    The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the world's largest
    philanthropy, has overlooked the biggest threat to human health and
    human future -- the increasing rate of climate destabilization from
    global warming.

    Last year the foundation co-chairman said about global warming: "The
    fact of the matter is we don't think about it." I urge that
    immediately be changed to: "Every individual, organization and state
    should be thinking about climate change now."

    For too long the Gates Foundation ignored extensive research that
    concludes global warming and climate destabilization has extended
    and amplified disease and other human health problems. Foundation
    science advisers can report that global warming is caused, enhanced
    and accelerated by carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere by
    industrial civilization. The biggest danger to our future is that we
    may fail to regulate CO{-2} output. Continued global warming causes
    sea levels to rise, which will increase disease vector populations.

    If eradicating malaria is the foundation's goal, it must regard the
    compelling data and devastating forces of a changing climate. All of
    the awesomely great works by the Gates Foundation can be undone by
    the horrible realities of global warming to come. If the foundation
    truly wants to support human health and nurture prosperity, it needs
    to refocus and modify priorities in a way that respects climate change.

    Investment policy for the foundation trust forbids trading in
    tobacco stock since that industry so obviously harms health.
    Similarly, I ask the foundation to halt investments in carbon fuel
    companies and other polluting industries.

    It may derive revenue from more than $1 billion invested in oil
    company stocks, but the resulting greenhouse gas emissions will
    further increase the rate of warming. Until the foundation decides
    how best to be part of the solution, it shouldn't be part of the
    problem. The foundation should completely divest from any
    hydrocarbon energy company stock holdings.

    We all praise the Gates Foundation for generosity and laudatory good
    works saving lives and giving hope for the future. But gradually,
    inexorably, everyone is beginning to feel the aggravation, pain and
    real suffering from our destabilizing climate. To further ignore the
    problem is misguided, shortsighted and squanders the opportunity for
    change.

    At the very least, the foundation should accept climate change as a
    real cause of suffering and include it when evaluating the global
    health metrics that underlie its good works. With such an honest
    view, others can share in its objective: for all people to have
    healthy and productive lives.

    Failure to act is the biggest sin. Knowledgeable people of wealth
    and power should take a stand -- because it is right, because it is
    needed and because inaction brings harm to us all.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/opinion/article/First-Person-Prodding-the-sacred-cow-1301367.php

[video of a film we saw in jr high school, and on my B&W TV]
*Meet Meteora, the Queen Goddess of Weather*
February 12, 1958: "The Unchained Goddess," part of the Bell Laboratory
Science Series produced by Frank Capra, is broadcast. "Goddess" directly
addresses human-caused climate change; the existence of the program
would never be acknowledged by climate-change deniers.
http://youtu.be/m-AXBbuDxRY

[Digging back into the internet news archive - ]
*On this day in the history of global warming - February 12, 1958 *

February 12, 1958: "The Unchained Goddess," part of the Bell Laboratory
Science Series produced by Frank Capra, is broadcast. "Goddess" directly
addresses human-caused climate change; the existence of the program
would never be acknowledged by climate-change deniers.

The Unchained Goddess - Dr.Frank Baxter 1958
St.Louis Flashback
The Unchained Goddess examines what weather is and how it works. It was
the fourth and last film in the series that was produced by Frank Capra,
who wrote the screenplay with Jonathan Latimer. Unlike the first three
of the films, this film was directed by Richard Carlson, who also
appears in the film.[10] The film was televised on February 12, 1958,
with a disappointing audience share and many critical press reviews

Full version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHYcNtcW7g

Clip - http://youtu.be/m-AXBbuDxRY

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.