[TheClimate.Vote] January 11, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jan 11 09:07:25 EST 2021

/*January 11, 2021*/

[scientific optimism in a new book ]
*"Cautious optimism" about fighting climate change: Salon talks with
author of "The New Climate War"*Climate scientist Dr. Michael E. Mann
tells Salon that we aren't doomed — but we need to hold polluters
accountable
By MATTHEW ROZSA - JANUARY 11, 2021
- -
  In his career, Mann has repeatedly worked to break down the science of
global warming in comprehensive but accessible ways. His efforts to
raise public awareness have always struck a balance between emphasizing
the gravity of the situation facing the planet and expressing cautious
optimism that, if we implement the right policies, we can stave off
ecological catastrophe.

This is the goal of his new book, "The New Climate War: The Fight To
Take Back Our Planet." Mann's thesis is clear: We must fight the people
who lie about the threat of man-made global warming, whether out of
financial self-interest, ideological dogmatism, or because they have
been duped by others. At the same time, we must also avoid succumbing to
the temptation to assume that all is lost. Instead it is necessary to
push for bold policies that will address climate change in a meaningful
way, from a revised version of the Green New Deal, effective carbon
pricing, and making it so that renewable energy can compete fairly
against fossil fuels...
- -
It's the fact that we see this nefarious, and in many ways more
insidious, attack on climate action today, even as the impacts of
climate change become so obvious to the person on the street that it's
not credible to deny that it happened. The same powerful vested
interests in the fossil fuel industry and those who do their bidding, I
call them being activists because their agenda is one of climate
inaction. For decades they've been denying that climate change is real,
attacking the science, trying to undermine public understanding of the
problems. And now that that's really not possible, they have turned to a
whole new set of tactics in their efforts to block progress on climate.
And that's really what the book is about. I felt it was important to
talk about that as one who had sort of been in the cross hairs of
climate change deniers for decades and witnessed firsthand their tactics
and how they've evolved, sort of as a warning to people.

The battle isn't won yet. The forces of inaction are no longer denying
the basic science, but they're doing all these other things to prevent
action. And that's what the book is about. [There is] deflection of
attention from the needed policies and systemic changes to individual
behavior — as if it's just about us and our diet and how we travel, and
the way to solve the climate problem is for us to just be better people.
Of course, individual action is important. We should all do things that
serve to decrease our environmental footprint and often they make us
healthier. They save us money. There are lots of good reasons to do
them, but they're no substitute for the needed policies at the very top,
the massive decarbonization of our economy, which is necessary.

Now also by focusing attention on individual behavior, they get us
fighting with each other, shaming people, pointing fingers at each other
about their carbon impurity, and that divides the community. So they get
climate advocates arguing with each other. That means there is no longer
a unified voice calling for action. There is doom and despair-mongering,
an attempt to convince some that it's too late to do anything about it
anyway, so why even bother? Unfortunately a lot of climate advocates of
good intentions and of goodwill have been hoodwinked and taken in and
weaponized in that effort to despirit them to the point of
disengagement, so they're no longer on the frontlines demanding action.
There is also the promotion of false solutions like geoengineering or
carbon capture, basically anything but solving this problem at its
source, which is getting off fossil fuels, because that's inconvenient
to the fossil fuel industry. So they'd rather have the discussion of
solutions focus on all these distracting, fake solution to the problem...
- -
*Let's not be distracted or fooled. Let's focus on the matter at hand,
which is making progress.*

I completely agree, but I actually do want to focus for a moment on the
mob in Washington, because here is the thing: I would assume that people
would get that passionately angry about the fact that a handful of
wealthy people are emitting all of these greenhouse gasses, and are
pushing for policies that make it harder for us to restrict greenhouse
gas emissions, and that is gradually destroying the planet. My nephew is
going to grow up in a world that is very different from the one that I
grew up in as a result. Do you think that would be the sort of thing
that makes people angry, and instead they're angry because President
Donald Trump isn't allowed to steal an election?

It's a mnemonic, not a precise, scientific model, but sort of the
reptilian brain and the way that Republicans are particularly effective
at tapping into the circuitry of the reptilian parts of the human brain,
preying on all of our worst instincts — selfishness, prejudice, all of
that — to weaponize this mob that we're watching on television right now
to do their bidding for them. And just as you alluded to earlier, Matt,
the irony being that they are mobilizing, weaponizing, this army rabble
to engage in actions that are completely detrimental to their own
interests, in the present and ultimately down the road. I like to think
that even these mob protesters in DC  care about their children, they
care about their grandchildren. They want a better life for them.

And so in a sense, they've been manipulated. They are victims of a
misinformation campaign. It's a disinformation campaign, enticed by red
meat thrown out by Republican operatives to prey on their worst
instincts. Sadly in many cases they are beyond help at this point, and
we have to fight on knowing that for many cases they're not to be on the
right side of this issue, but we don't need them. They're a fringe,
they're not a majority. We can solve this problem without them. We just
can't allow them to get in the way.

With the favorable change in winds and in Washington DC, we'll see what
happens. I think that we're going to move away from this over the next
couple of years. It will be rocky. It won't be easy, but I see the
reason for cautious optimism that we're steering the ship in a different
direction now...
- -
https://www.salon.com/2021/01/10/cautious-optimism-about-fighting-climate-change-salon-talks-with-author-of-the-new-climate-war/

[serious problem]
*Bushfires in Australia to Become More Frequent, Prolonged, Severe: Experts*
By IANS 4 days ago TWC India
Experts have warned that Australia's devastating 2019-20 "Black Summer"
bushfires were a "wake up call" to the extreme effects of climate change
in the country.

In a study published on late Thursday, a team from the Australian
National University (ANU) and the Australian Research Council (ARC)
Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes warned that bushfires will
become increasingly more severe in the country as a result of global
warming, reports Xinhua news agency....
- -
"When we look to the future we see southeast Australia continuing to
become even hotter because of human-caused climate change. On top of
that, climate change is altering our patterns of year-to-year climate
variability so that we expect extremely hot and dry years to occur more
often," she said.

"There are also indications that southeast Australia could continue to
become drier in winter and experience more frequent weather fronts in
summer that cause dangerous fire weather, but more research is needed to
fully understand how these fire-relevant impacts of climate change might
develop.

"All of those expected and possible climate change indicators point
towards a rapidly increasing risk of catastrophic bushfires that are
beyond anything we have experienced in the past."
  https://weather.com/en-IN/india/news/news/2021-01-08-bushfires-in-australia-to-become-more-frequent-prolonged-severe

[video recorded Sunday]
*His Holiness the Dalai Lama In Conversation with Greta Thunberg and
Leading Scientists*
Jan 10, 2021
Dalai Lama
His Holiness the Dalai Lama in conversation on The Crisis of Climate
Feedback Loops with Greta Thunberg (environmental activist), William
Moomaw (lead author on reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change/IPCC, and the co-recipient of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize) and
Susan Natali (a renowned Arctic scientist) from his residence in
Dharamsala, HP, India on January 10, 2021. The conversation is moderated
by Diana Chapman Walsh, President emerita of Wellesley College and is
organized by the Mind & Life Institute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9GXgOMMeTg

[from GIZMODO]
*There Is Such a Thing as Too Late*
Andrew Couts - 1-8-2021
No one needed to predict a frothing horde of Trump supporters would lay
siege to the Capitol on Wednesday because they told us that was the plan
all along.

They told us not just on Twitter, TikTok, and TheDonald in the weeks
leading up to the attack. They’ve been telling us for years from the
racists who showed up in Charlotteville in 2017 to the armed
“protesters” who took over the Michigan Capitol last year. Experts
listening sounded the alarm, and yet when the wave crashed into the
Capitol, there was still a sense of shell shock and now, a scramble for
justice.
- -
This scramble is not victory, it’s the luxury allowed by this particular
crisis. The comforting self-righteousness of those who warned that Trump
would lead us to disaster is the sour reward of waiting too long. But if
we continue this opulent pattern of collective inaction, it will one day
destroy not the windows of the Capitol building but life on Earth as we
know it.

The climate crisis has followed a seemingly similar path. Just as the
evidence of the past four years made clear the ugly culmination of
Trump’s presidency, more than 100 years of scientific research has made
clear that carbon emissions are warming our planet, resulting in rising
seas, widespread wildfires, catastrophic weather events, mass
extinction, human suffering, and death. Just like today, opportunistic
politics and craven corporate greed have grease-stained the truth,
creating a shimmering illusion that there is more than one side to reality.

But unlike a political crisis, with climate change, there is no voting
out the problem, no bringing in new leadership, no investigation that
will clarify a path forward. There is no last straw that allows you to
realize the errors of your ways and make up for them. Climate change is
a different kind of crisis—there is no going back once we’ve failed.

There is such a thing as too late.

If we allow carbon emissions to follow their current trajectory, the
global temperature will rise roughly 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees
Celsius) by century’s end, resulting in catastrophe the world over. The
planet would be hotter, the weather (and society) more violent, and
conditions would be unlike anything remotely close to resembling the one
that humanity has thrived on. That’s the trajectory we’re on now.

The greatest contributor to the current warming is the extraction,
production, and use of fossil fuels. To retain a habitable planet and
prevent as much pain as possible, we must rapidly stop using oil, gas,
and coal, which requires historic investment.

We can choose to make that investment to save ourselves before the
unthinkable happens. We can choose to create a just transition for
workers in polluting industries. We can choose to create safety nets for
communities that will be impacted regardless of what steps we take today
and tomorrow because of the inaction we’ve chosen to take thus far.

What we cannot do is wait until we pass critical warming thresholds and
then scramble to fix the problem because with climate change, there is
no quick fix. Once emitted, greenhouse gases stay in the atmosphere for
decades, further warping the climate. That’s not say we just throw up
our hands later—every ton of carbon not emitted matters—but our best
option is to act now.

The challenges of meeting this moment stretch the limits of
comprehension. The slow-burn nature of the climate crisis means
devastating wildfires, monster hurricanes, and disappearing glaciers
become normalized—just the way things are. The contentious divide in
America—even with the White House and Congress about to be under the
control of a single party that wants to implement climate policy—pushes
desperately needed policy solutions to the edge of impossible. And even
as a growing majority of Americans see climate change as a defining
challenge, deniers, liars, and enablers stand in the way, ready to
deflect your attention away from the truth about what’s needed in this
moment.

Perhaps the most pressing and monumental challenge we face is that
reality itself is a partisan choice. This, to me, is the most shocking
element of Wednesday’s attack on the Capitol: The entire thing is, at
least on its surface, founded on the lie of a stolen election. But no
matter what the seditionist senators said to justify disputing
President-elect Biden’s victory, believing something is true does not
make it so. The same is true for climate change; Earth is warming
regardless of what you believe.

As this week has made abundantly clear, there are
always—always—justifications for failure. In this shocking moment,
please, do not let this shock go to waste—hold onto it and fear it. Feel
embarrassed by it. Mold that shock in your heart into shame and let it
harden into anger. For enduring, collective, widespread anger is the
only antidote to future inaction as we face an even greater threat—one
that forbids the luxury of hindsight.
Andrew Couts - Deputy Editor, Gizmodo
https://earther.gizmodo.com/there-is-such-a-thing-as-too-late-1846012076

[ Important notion]
*“Bipartisanship” Is Climate Poison*
The last time Democrats controlled Washington, they blew their chance to
address climate change. Will Joe Biden and Joe Manchin repeat the
party’s mistakes?
Kate Aronoff - January 6, 2021
Democrats are about to enjoy the most power they’ve had in years. A
president has just been elected with a huge popular mandate. The House
and Senate are both under Democratic control. The country is in the
midst of a crisis as great as any since the Great Depression, and its
economic future is far from certain. Public concern about the climate
crisis is higher than ever.

But this isn’t 2021, when historic runoff wins by Raphael Warnock and
Jon Ossoff seem to have handed Democrats back control of the Senate.
It’s 2009, and it doesn’t end well...
- -
The current moment isn’t identical to 2009. Joe Biden ran on a promise
to Build Back Better and—under pressure—melded his jobs program and
climate program, linking lowering emissions with economic prosperity in
a way Democrats conspicuously failed to in 2009. He’s appointed
cabinet-level posts intended specifically to deal with climate change.
Still, there’s not much suggestion he’s wavered from what may well be
his only abiding political commitment: bipartisan compromise. “I think
the nation’s looking for us to be united, much more united,” he told
Stephen Colbert recently. “But look, I think I can work with Republican
leadership in the House and the Senate. I think we can get things done.”
Needless to say, the GOP doesn’t seem poised to compromise. In Congress,
even with what now looks like double Democratic wins in Georgia’s Senate
runoffs, West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin’s outsized swing vote could
be treated as an excuse for moderation. Manchin himself urged
bipartisanship Wednesday as vote counting continued in Georgia, hours
before right-wing rioters breached the Capitol.

In their closing arguments on the campaign trail, though, Warnock and
Ossoff voiced as good a model as any for climate policy: give people
stuff. After Mitch McConnell blocked the possibility of $2,000 checks,
they promised voters that a Democratically controlled Senate would
deliver. They won, batting off racist and anti-Semitic attacks painting
both candidates as “radical liberals.” Majority Leader Chuck Schumer now
says he intends to make those checks happen.

Climate legislation should operate by a similar ethos. Rather than
making devil’s bargains with industry and Republicans, it can offer
tangible gains through jobs and investments—all in time to keep the GOP
and its fossil fuel backers from retaking the House in 2022. Biden
should sign the $2,000 checks Democrats send out and slap a federal
government plaque on every new infrastructure project Congress
greenlights. The message shouldn’t be that a corporate executive in a
suit endorses a thousand-page bill nobody can understand. It should be
that big government is back and it’ll give you a job.

Likewise, instead of watering down climate policy for Manchin’s benefit,
a climate package could deliver concrete gains to West Virginia—a good
in and of itself. Manchin’s state has one of the highest poverty rates
in the country and is sorely in need of the sorts of federal investment
that previous West Virginian Democratic senators were known for shaking
down. A climate bill could be Manchin’s chance to deliver, promising
better, less dangerous jobs to replace the old coal ones that will never
return, climate policy or no. And such a jobs-forward bill could also
give Manchin incentive to support repealing the filibuster, which
otherwise threatens keep good policy off the table.

The amount of power Manchin is about to wield over the Senate may be
wildly undemocratic. But climate policy should look out for the coal
mining communities that helped build this country. Democrats should make
the case that it can.
Kate Aronoff is a staff writer at The New Republic.
https://newrepublic.com/article/160813/bipartisanship-climate-poison

[YouTube video discussion]
*Michael Dowd - Post-doom Compost Theology*
Jan 10, 2021
thegreatstory
This video has Michael Shaw interviewing me (Michael Dowd) in December
2020, as the first installment in his new podcast series, "Living in the
Time of Dying".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H1fqThnT54

[New energy idea from old physical force - see video]
*Gravity Energy Storage : A very uplifting technology!*
Jan 10, 2021
Just Have a Think
Gravity energy storage is not actually a new concept. We've been doing
it with pumped hydro for more than a century. But that's very expensive
to build and needs an awful lot of space. Now though, two new companies
have developed systems that mimic the effect of pumped hydro by raising
and lowering extremely large and heavy weights up and down over huge
height distances. So, do we have yet another addition to the growing
grid scale energy storage family?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh1--ftWWvY

*On this day in the history of global warming - January 11, 2013 *

Media Matters notes: "After ignoring reports that 2012 was the hottest
year on record in the U.S., Rush Limbaugh and Fox Business host Stuart
Varney tried to push back against well-established evidence of climate
change by citing instances of cold weather."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/11/conservatives-once-again-cite-extreme-cold-to-d/192202

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.