[TheClimate.Vote] January 26, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jan 26 11:27:51 EST 2021

/*January 26, 2021*/

[changes in Congress]
*Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer just called on Biden to declare a
national emergency. *
WATCH: Senate Majority Leader Schumer calls on President Biden to
"explore" using emergency powers to declare climate an emergency.
"If there ever was an emergency, climate is one
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1353895948133543936?s=20

[Reuters ENVIRONMENT]
JANUARY 23, 2021
*Biden administration to unveil more climate policies, urges China to
toughen emissions target*
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climate-idUSKBN29S0PA

[From the Guardian]
*Helping poorest tackle climate crisis will boost global growth, says
IMF head*
Kristalina Georgieva says investing to create resilient economies is a
‘win-win-win-win’ scenario
- -
Otherwise, the world risked billions of dollars of economic damage in
the near future, as most countries were unprepared for the effects of a
rapidly heating climate, she warned.

“The good news is that it can be win-win-win-win,” she said. “Building
resilience can be good for nature and ecosystems; it can be good for
economic growth; at a time when economies have lost low-skilled jobs, it
boosts job creation; and the fourth win is that it can bring health
benefits [such as reduced air pollution].”...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/25/helping-poorest-tackle-climate-crisis-will-boost-global-growth-says-imf-head

[CBS]
January 24, 2021
*Climate refugees: The quest for a haven from extreme weather events*
- -
Of course, not everybody has the option of moving. "It's not easy for
folks to just pick up and leave a place," said Jalonne White-Newsome, a
consultant, researcher and advocate who focuses on climate and racial
justice. She said that extreme weather hits communities of color
disproportionately hard, yet their residents may be the least able to move.

"It's not that folks want to stay in harm's way," she said, "but the
fact that they might not have the resources to move, that they have
invested all that they have into their home, whether they're renting or
owning it. And then there's also this sense of community. It's that
sense of connection not only with their neighbors, but their faith
community, their jobs, their kids are in school."

Still, 40 million Americans do move every year. They retire, they
graduate, they get jobs or lose jobs, they fall in love or break up.

If you have the luxury of choosing where to live, and climate change is
a factor, here's the formula:

You want to be far enough inland to avoid the rising seas and flooding …
far enough north to avoid the worst of the heat waves … far enough west
and north to avoid the hurricanes … and far enough east to avoid the
wildfires...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-refugees-the-quest-for-a-haven-from-extreme-weather-events/

[Opinion]
*We Want a ‘New Normal.’ It’s Not in the Forecast.*
Climate change is upending the world as we know it, and coping with it
demands widespread, radical action.

By Roy Scranton
Mr. Scranton is the director of the Notre Dame Environmental Humanities
Initiative and the author of “Learning to Die in the Anthropocene.”

Jan. 25, 2021
- -
But what does normal even mean anymore?

It’s easy to forget that 2020 gave us not just the pandemic, but also
the West Coast’s worst fire season, as well as the most active Atlantic
hurricane season on record. And, while we were otherwise distracted,
2020 also offered up near-record lows in Arctic sea ice, possible
evidence of significant methane release from Arctic permafrost and the
Arctic Ocean, huge wildfires in both the Amazon and the Arctic,
shattered heat records (2020 rivaled 2016 for the hottest year on
record), bleached coral reefs, the collapse of the last fully intact ice
shelf in the Canadian Arctic, and increasing odds that the global
climate system has passed the point where feedback dynamics take over
and the window of possibility for preventing catastrophe closes.

President Biden has recommitted the United States to the Paris
Agreement, which is great except that it doesn’t really mean much, since
that agreement’s commitments are voluntary. And it might not even matter
whether signatories meet their commitments, since their pledges weren’t
rigorous enough to keep global warming “well below” two degrees Celsius,
or 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit above preindustrial levels to begin with.
According to Climate Action Tracker, a collaborative analysis from
independent science nonprofits, only Morocco and Gambia have made
commitments compatible with the goal of limiting warming to 1.5 degrees
Celsius above preindustrial levels, and the commitments made by several
major emitters, including China, Russia, Japan and the United States,
are “highly insufficient” or “critically insufficient.”
- -
It’s also worth noting that the two degrees Celsius benchmark is
somewhat arbitrary and possibly fantastic, since it’s not clear that the
earth’s climate would be safe or stable at that temperature. In the
words of a widely discussed research summary published in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, even if the Paris
Agreement targets are met, “we cannot exclude the risk that a cascade of
feedbacks could push the Earth System irreversibly onto a ‘Hothouse
Earth’ pathway.”

More alarming, recent observed increases in atmospheric methane, a
greenhouse gas more than 80 times stronger than carbon dioxide over the
short term, are so large that if they continue they could effectively
overwhelm the pledged emissions reductions in the Paris Agreement, even
if those reductions were actually happening. Which they’re not.

Meanwhile, the earth’s climate seems to be changing faster than
expected. Take the intensifying slowdown in the North Atlantic current,
a global warming side effect made famous by the film “The Day After
Tomorrow.” According to the climatologist Michael Mann, “We are 50 years
to 100 years ahead of schedule with the slowdown of this ocean
circulation pattern, relative to what the models predict … The more
observations we get, the more sophisticated our models become, the more
we’re learning that things can happen faster, and with a greater
magnitude, than we predicted just years ago.”

In 2019, the Greenland ice sheet briefly reached daily melt rates
predicted in what were once considered worst-case scenarios for 2060 to
2080. Recent research indicates that rapidly thawing permafrost may
release twice as much carbon dioxide and methane than previously
thought, which is pretty bad news, because other recent research shows
very cold Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years earlier than expected.

Going back to normal now means returning to a course that will
destabilize the conditions for all human life, everywhere on earth.
Normal means more fires, more category 5 hurricanes, more flooding, more
drought, millions upon millions more migrants fleeing famine and civil
war, more crop failures, more storms, more extinctions, more
record-breaking heat. Normal means the increasing likelihood of civil
unrest and state collapse, of widespread agricultural failure and
collapsing fisheries, of millions of people dying from thirst and
hunger, of new diseases, old diseases spreading to new places and the
havoc of war. Normal could well mean the end of global civilization as
we know it...
- -
Now, as a new administration takes office and we look ahead to life
after both Covid and Donald Trump, we need to face the fact that the
world we live in is changing into something else, and that coping with
the consequences of global warming demands immediate, widespread,
radical action...
The next 20 years will be a period of deep uncertainty and tremendous
risk, no matter what. We don’t get to choose what challenges we’ll face,
but we do get to decide how we face them. The first thing we need to do
is let go of the idea that life will ever be normal again — elsewhere,
I’ve called this “learning how to die.” Beyond that, we need stop living
through social media and start connecting with the people around us,
since those are the people we’ll need to depend on the next time
disaster strikes. And disaster will strike, you can be sure of that, so
we must begin preparing today for the next shock to the social order,
and the next, and the next.

None of this will matter, though, if our preparations don’t include
imagining a new way of life beyond this one, after the end of
fossil-fueled capitalism: not a new normal, but a new ethos adapted to
the chaotic world we’ve created.

Roy Scranton is the author of “Learning to Die in the Anthropocene.” He
teaches English and environmental humanities at the University of Notre
Dame, where he is director of the Notre Dame Environmental Humanities
Initiative.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/opinion/new-normal-climate-catastrophes.html

[Brookings-event-invitation]
*Climate change and financial market regulations: Insights from
BlackRock CEO *Larry Fink and former SEC Chair Mary Schapiro

Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. EST
Online:
https://www.brookings.edu/events/climate-change-and-financial-market-regulations-insights-from-blackrock-ceo-larry-fink-and-former-sec-chair-mary-schapiro/
RSVP to watch -
https://connect.brookings.edu/register-to-watch-climate-change-financial-market-regulations

There is growing interest among regulators around the world in helping
to address climate change through the levers of financial market
regulation. Private companies are starting to elevate the importance of
climate and sustainability risk for investment decisions. These
developments are essential for influencing the behavior of market
participants towards low-carbon investments and mitigating climate risks
for companies and investors.

On Tuesday, February 2, the Center on Regulation and Market at Brookings
will host Larry Fink, chairman and CEO of BlackRock, and Mary Schapiro,
vice chair of global public policy at Bloomberg L.P., former chair of
the Securities and Exchange Commission, and head of the Secretariat of
the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures. This event will
shed light on ideas and trends in climate change and financial market
regulations, an increasingly important area...

Viewers can submit questions via email to events at brookings.edu or via
Twitter using #ClimateRegulation.
https://www.brookings.edu/events/climate-change-and-financial-market-regulations-insights-from-blackrock-ceo-larry-fink-and-former-sec-chair-mary-schapiro/

[precarity = that which is precarious]
JOURNAL ARTICLE
*Climate Change and the Everyday: Becoming Present to Precarity*
Russell Duvernoy
Ethics and the Environment
Vol. 25, No. 2 (Fall 2020), pp. 73-95 (23 pages)
Published By: Indiana University Press
https://doi.org/10.2979/ethicsenviro.25.2.04
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/ethicsenviro.25.2.04
Abstract

    Concepts of the everyday typically correlate with the normal and
    regular, while narratives of climate change are structured by
    predictions that exceed the normal. Since extreme events of climate
    change are not assimilable into the everyday, their destabilizing
    effects heighten destructive feedback loops mediated through fear.
    Developing psychic and social resilience necessary for re-routing
    climate change predictions from their direst outcomes thus requires
    transformed relations to the everyday. After analyzing how a default
    conception of the everyday hinders existential adaptation, I draw on
    Jean-Luc Nancy, Alfred North Whitehead, and William James to develop
    a concept of the everyday that emphasizes precarity, multiplicity,
    and creativity as better fostering social and psychic resilience
    amidst destabilization. This different concept of the everyday is
    necessary for learning how to live meaningful daily lives not
    predicated on an illusion that all is well or the fantasy that
    climate change can be resolved through a perpetuation of current
    norms of the everyday.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/ethicsenviro.25.2.04?seq=1

[Classic - 2018 -tangential to climate change]
*Was There a Civilization on Earth Before Humans?*
A look at the available evidence
ADAM FRANK - APRIL 13, 2018
It only took five minutes for Gavin Schmidt to out-speculate me.

Schmidt is the director of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies
(a.k.a. GISS) a world-class climate-science facility. One day last year,
I came to GISS with a far-out proposal. In my work as an astrophysicist,
I’d begun researching global warming from an “astrobiological
perspective.” That meant asking whether any industrial civilization that
rises on any planet will, through their own activity, trigger their own
version of a climate shift. I was visiting GISS that day hoping to gain
some climate science insights and, perhaps, collaborators. That’s how I
ended up in Gavin’s office.

Just as I was revving up my pitch, Gavin stopped me in my tracks.

“Wait a second,” he said. “How do you know we’re the only time there’s
been a civilization on our own planet?”

It took me a few seconds to pick up my jaw off the floor. I had
certainly come into Gavin’s office prepared for eye rolls at the mention
of “exo-civilizations.” But the civilizations he was asking about would
have existed many millions of years ago. Sitting there, seeing Earth’s
vast evolutionary past telescope before my mind’s eye, I felt a kind of
temporal vertigo. “Yeah,” I stammered, “Could we tell if there’d been an
industrial civilization that deep in time?”

We never got back to aliens. Instead, that first conversation launched a
new study we’ve recently published in the International Journal of
Astrobiology. Though neither of us could see it at that moment, Gavin’s
penetrating question opened a window not just onto Earth’s past, but
also onto our own future.

We’re used to imagining extinct civilizations in terms of the sunken
statues and subterranean ruins. These kinds of artifacts of previous
societies are fine if you’re only interested in timescales of a few
thousands of years. But once you roll the clock back to tens of millions
or hundreds of millions of years, things get more complicated.

When it comes to direct evidence of an industrial civilization—things
like cities, factories, and roads—the geologic record doesn’t go back
past what’s called the Quaternary period 2.6 million years ago. For
example, the oldest large-scale stretch of ancient surface lies in the
Negev Desert. It’s “just” 1.8 million years old—older surfaces are
mostly visible in cross section via something like a cliff face or rock
cuts. Go back much further than the Quaternary, and everything has been
turned over and crushed to dust.

And, if we’re going back this far, we’re not talking about human
civilizations anymore. Homo sapiens didn’t make their appearance on the
planet until just 300,000 years or so ago. That means the question
shifts to other species, which is why Gavin called the idea the Silurian
hypothesis, after an old Doctor Who episode with intelligent reptiles.

So could researchers find clear evidence that an ancient species built a
relatively short-lived industrial civilization long before our own?
Perhaps, for example, some early mammal rose briefly to civilization
building during the Paleocene epoch, about 60 million years ago. There
are fossils, of course. But the fraction of life that gets fossilized is
always minuscule and varies a lot depending on time and habitat. It
would be easy, therefore, to miss an industrial civilization that lasted
only 100,000 years—which would be 500 times longer than our industrial
civilization has made it so far.

Given that all direct evidence would be long gone after many millions of
years, what kinds of evidence might then still exist? The best way to
answer this question is to figure out what evidence we’d leave behind if
human civilization collapsed at its current stage of development.

Now that our industrial civilization has truly gone global, humanity’s
collective activity is laying down a variety of traces that will be
detectable by scientists 100 million years in the future. The extensive
use of fertilizer, for example, keeps 7 billion people fed, but it also
means we’re redirecting the planet’s flows of nitrogen into food
production. Future researchers should see this in characteristics of
nitrogen showing up in sediments from our era. Likewise our relentless
hunger for the rare-Earth elements used in electronic gizmos. Far more
of these atoms are now wandering around the planet’s surface because of
us than would otherwise be the case. They might also show up in future
sediments, too. Even our creation, and use, of synthetic steroids has
now become so pervasive that it too may be detectable in geologic strata
10 million years from now.

And then there’s all that plastic. Studies have shown that increasing
amounts of plastic “marine litter” are being deposited on the seafloor
everywhere from coastal areas to deep basins, and even in the Arctic.
Wind, sun, and waves grind down large-scale plastic artifacts, leaving
the seas full of microscopic plastic particles that will eventually rain
down on the ocean floor, creating a layer that could persist for
geological timescales.

The big question is how long any of these traces of our civilization
will last. In our study, we found that each had the possibility of
making it into future sediments. Ironically, however, the most promising
marker of humanity’s presence as an advanced civilization is a
by-product of one activity that may threaten it most.

When we burn fossil fuels, we’re releasing carbon back into the
atmosphere that was once part of living tissues. This ancient carbon is
depleted in one of that element’s three naturally occurring varieties,
or isotopes. The more fossil fuels we burn, the more the balance of
these carbon isotopes shifts. Atmospheric scientists call this shift the
Suess effect, and the change in isotopic ratios of carbon due to
fossil-fuel use is easy to see over the past century. Increases in
temperature also leave isotopic signals. These shifts should be apparent
to any future scientist who chemically analyzes exposed layers of rock
from our era. Along with these spikes, this Anthropocene layer might
also hold brief peaks in nitrogen, plastic nanoparticles, and even
synthetic steroids. So if these are traces our civilization is bound to
leave for the future, might the same “signals” exist right now in rocks
just waiting to tell us of civilizations long gone?

Fifty-six million years ago, Earth passed through the Paleocene-Eocene
Thermal Maximum (PETM). During the PETM, the planet’s average
temperature climbed as high as 15 degrees Fahrenheit above what we
experience today. It was a world almost without ice, as typical summer
temperatures at the poles reached close to a balmy 70 degrees
Fahrenheit. Looking at the isotopic record from the PETM, scientists see
both carbon and oxygen isotope ratios spiking in exactly the way we
expect to see in the Anthropocene record. There are also other events
like the PETM in the Earth’s history that show traces like our
hypothetical Anthropocene signal. These include an event a few million
years after the PETM dubbed the Eocene Layers of Mysterious Origin, and
massive events in the Cretaceous that left the ocean without oxygen for
many millennia (or even longer).

Are these events indications of previous nonhuman industrial
civilizations? Almost certainly not. While there is evidence that the
PETM may have been driven by a massive release of buried fossil carbon
into the air, it’s the timescale of these changes that matter. The
PETM’s isotope spikes rise and fall over a few hundred thousand years.
But what makes the Anthropocene so remarkable in terms of Earth’s
history is the speed at which we’re dumping fossil carbon into the
atmosphere. There have been geological periods where Earth’s CO2 has
been as high or higher than today, but never before in the planet’s
multibillion-year history has so much buried carbon been dumped back
into the atmosphere so quickly. So the isotopic spikes we do see in the
geologic record may not be spiky enough to fit the Silurian hypothesis’s
bill.

But there is a conundrum here. If an earlier species’s industrial
activity is short-lived, we might not be able to easily see it. The
PETM’s spikes mostly show us the Earth’s timescales for responding to
whatever caused it, not necessarily the timescale of the cause. So it
might take both dedicated and novel detection methods to find evidence
of a truly short-lived event in ancient sediments. In other words, if
you’re not explicitly looking for it, you might not see it. That
recognition was, perhaps, the most concrete conclusion of our study.

It’s not often that you write a paper proposing a hypothesis that you
don’t support. Gavin and I don’t believe the Earth once hosted a
50-million-year-old Paleocene civilization. But by asking if we could
“see” truly ancient industrial civilizations, we were forced to ask
about the generic kinds of impacts any civilization might have on a
planet. That’s exactly what the astrobiological perspective on climate
change is all about. Civilization building means harvesting energy from
the planet to do work (i.e., the work of civilization building). Once
the civilization reaches truly planetary scales, there has to be some
feedback on the coupled planetary systems that gave it life (air, water,
rock). This will be particularly true for young civilizations like ours
still climbing up the ladder of technological capacity. There is, in
other words, no free lunch. While some energy sources will have lower
impact—say solar versus fossil fuels—you can’t power a global
civilization without some degree of impact on the planet.

Once you realize, through climate change, the need to find lower-impact
energy sources, the less impact you will leave. So the more sustainable
your civilization becomes, the smaller the signal you’ll leave for
future generations.

In addition, our work also opened up the speculative possibility that
some planets might have fossil-fuel-driven cycles of civilization
building and collapse. If a civilization uses fossil fuels, the climate
change they trigger can lead to a large decrease in ocean oxygen levels.
These low oxygen levels (called ocean anoxia) help trigger the
conditions needed for making fossil fuels like oil and coal in the first
place. In this way, a civilization and its demise might sow the seed for
new civilizations in the future.

By asking about civilizations lost in deep time, we’re also asking about
the possibility for universal rules guiding the evolution of all
biospheres in all their creative potential, including the emergence of
civilizations. Even without pickup-driving Paleocenians, we’re only now
learning to see how rich that potential might be.

ADAM FRANK is a professor of astrophysics at the University of
Rochester. His work has appeared in Scientific American, The New York
Times, and NPR. He is the author of Light of the Stars: Alien Worlds and
the Fate of the Earth.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/are-we-earths-only-civilization/557180/

- -
[Cornell University]
*The Silurian Hypothesis: Would it be possible to detect an industrial
civilization in the geological record?*
Gavin A. Schmidt, Adam Frank
If an industrial civilization had existed on Earth many millions of
years prior to our own era, what traces would it have left and would
they be detectable today? We summarize the likely geological fingerprint
of the Anthropocene, and demonstrate that while clear, it will not
differ greatly in many respects from other known events in the
geological record. We then propose tests that could plausibly
distinguish an industrial cause from an otherwise naturally occurring
climate event.
Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Astrobiology
Subjects:    Earth and Planetary Astrophysics (astro-ph.EP)
DOI:    10.1017/S1473550418000095
Cite as:    arXiv:1804.03748 [astro-ph.EP]
      (or arXiv:1804.03748v1
Submission history
From: Adam Frank
[v1] Tue, 10 Apr 2018 23:26:11 UTC (80 KB)
https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.03748
pdf https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.03748.pdf The Silurian Hypothesis

[last year report]
*Exxon Spends Millions on Facebook To Keep the Fossil Fuel Industry Alive*
Aided by a right-wing political consulting firm, the company is rallying
supporters to fight for oil and gas interests at every level of government.
CHRISTINE MACDONALD OCTOBER 20, 2020
- -
As GOP digital strategist Mindy Finn explained to Politico: “[Digital
organizing is] not just raw numbers. It’s analyzing and determining who
those people [who are engaging] are and matching them back to voter
profiles. … It’s not having the most Facebook likes and clicks, because
the ​‘who’ matters.”

While only age, sex and state information for each ad is provided by the
Facebook Ad Library, Facebook allows ad buyers to target ads based on
actual online behavior, in addition to self-reported characteristics
like work and education. It can target using online shopping and
browsing history, for example, and whether a person is likely to engage
with conservative or liberal political content.

​“With that kind of targeting,” Lucy Purdon says, ​“you don’t know what
information has been gathered about you, from who, and how you’ve been
targeted.”

“Facebook says it’s not a one-to-one match of an identifiable
individual,” says digital technology critic Sara Watson, ​“but the more
elements that you start to target against,” the closer you can get to
identifying individual people.

Exxon’s social media approach is unusually brazen, according to Collins
of InfluenceMap. He tells In These Times that Exxon’s use of social
media to lobby the public goes way beyond the rest of the industry, a
claim supported by the company’s abnormally high spending on Facebook
political ads. Typically, such tactics would be used by political
organizations or trade associations, not directly by corporations...
- -
In the 11,622 Exxon ads examined for this article, on average, 16% of
those who saw each ad were men older than 65, 16% women older than 65,
and another 16% men between 55 and 64. In contrast, only about 15% were
users 18 – 34 (of any gender). Despite the fact that people older than
65 were a third of those who saw a typical Exxon ad, the group
represents only 16% of the total U.S. population. Furthermore, younger
people use social media more than older ones. Pew Research Center has
used polling to track social media adoption for the past several years,
reporting last year that 79% people 18- to 29-years-old are on Facebook
and 67% use Instagram, compared to just 46% and 8%, respectively, of
senior citizens. Although both Facebook and Exxon declined to comment on
what filters Exxon uses to target its ads, this disproportionality
suggests the ads are not being sent at random...
Since Exxon’s primary business does not involve selling directly to
individuals (the company decided to exit the gas station business in
2008), Watson says Exxon’s personal targeting could build a case for
consumer protection, since ​“most consumers should not have a direct
relationship with Exxon.” She adds, ​“So what right does Exxon have in
collecting any consumer data at all, aside from aggregate information
about consumer trends?”...
- -
“It breaks my heart,” says climate scientist Peter Kalmus, ​“that we are
basically skewing the planet’s future for the next 10 million years in
exchange for a few more years of fracking, of fossil fuel CEOs raking in
record profits. … It’s just madness.”...
- -
But the trend is clear: Exxon turns to social media to push its national
agenda and try to reverse its general waning public support. Exxon spent
up to $1.4 million on social media ads promoting pipeline jobs, for
example, appearing 40 million times over the two-year period
investigated for this article and particularly targeting residents in
states such as Michigan, where pipeline construction is controversial.
Other ads pushed for offshore drilling in federal waters and the new
trade agreement with Canada and Mexico...
- -
“Quite frankly, grassroots lobbying is probably the lion’s share of
lobbying that goes on at the federal and state levels — and it goes
entirely unreported,” says Craig Holman, government affairs lobbyist
with the nonprofit group Public Citizen. ​“As long as [lobbyists] don’t
actually knock on the door in D.C. of a member of Congress, it’s not
actually reported.”

Reported or not, indirect lobbying is changing the corporate lobbying
business, as illustrated by the 2019 annual report of the New York State
Joint Commission. In New York state alone in 2019, 24% of registered
lobbyists had expanded into indirect lobbying efforts, though only 1%
engage exclusively in indirect lobbying. Out of a total of $16.8 million
that lobbyists spent on advertising in 2019, digital advocacy and
websites accounted for $3.6 million, surpassing the $2.9 million spent
on print advertising.

Holman adds that the extent of Exxon’s social media operation ​“probably
is evidence that [indirect lobbying] is far more prevalent today than it
used to be. Social media now and the internet provide a perfect vehicle
for deceptive advertising.”

“Companies will do it until they can’t,” says Sara Watson. ​“Facebook
and other platforms aren’t going to care about it until the public
cares.”...
- -
Stephanie Prufer, an oceans campaigner at the Center for Biological
Diversity, says she doesn’t think Exxon’s strategy will work for the
company, especially among youth.

“I’m not surprised that Exxon is targeting the demographic that they
are,” she says, referring to the fact that Exxon ads disproportionately
appear on the screens of older social media users. ​“They know they are
not going to be able to get the support of people who are afraid for
their own futures. I’m 24 and I worry every single day about what will
become of my future if the oil companies keep drilling.”

“The science is so clear,” she adds. ​“We need to keep oil in the
ground. We need to end drilling on our coast, not revive it.”
https://inthesetimes.com/article/exxon-facebook-instagram-advertising-fracking-climate-fossil-fuels

*On this day in the history of global warming - January 26, 2014 *

The New York Times reports on state-level efforts by Republicans to
promote renewable energy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/us/politics/fissures-in-gop-as-some-conservatives-embrace-renewable-energy.html

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.