[✔️] July 5, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 5 09:25:38 EDT 2021

/*July 5, 2021*/

[Wildfires with heatwave and drought]
*Evacuations ordered as wildfires rip through Canada’s west coast*
Dozens of huge wildfires in British Columbia come after Canadian
province saw record-breaking heatwave.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/3/evacuations-ordered-wildfires-rip-through-canada-west-coast

- -

[locations for the 196 active fires in British Columbia]
*B.C. Wildfire Dashboard*
https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b

[brief video interview w Dr Ben Santer]
*Climate Crisis: ‘Apocalyptic’ heatwave and drought hit parts of US*
Jun 21, 2021
Channel 4 News
A heatwave described as “apocalyptic” has hit the south-western states
of America, pushing people and wildlife in the region to their limits.
Low water levels are endangering fish species in Oregon and Colorado and
encouraging the spread of wildfires. The extreme heatwave has been
compounded by the “megadrought”, with nearly a third of the population
in California facing a drought emergency. Scientists say these are all
the signs of a climate crisis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruZYgYJ0oEU

[The IPCC reports delivered in decades]
*Leaked UN report warns of climate tipping points*
By ALEXANDRIA HERR - JULY 3, 2021
- -
Climate tipping points are the phenomenon by which small increases in
temperature can trigger self-perpetuating loops in the natural world,
"tipping" them towards dramatic and widespread change after a certain
temperature threshold is crossed — sometimes leading to even more
emissions and warming. Examples of tipping points include the feedback
between rising temperatures and permafrost melt; as the Arctic warms,
frozen soils rich in organic carbon known as permafrost start to thaw,
releasing the stores of ancient carbon locked inside. Other examples
include the melting of the Greenland ice sheet, the collapse of coral
reef ecosystems, and the potential transition of the Amazon rainforest
into a more savanna-like ecosystem. The draft report from the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, details at least 12
potential tipping points, according to Agence France-Presse...
- -
The draft report says that the Earth has already warmed 1.1 degrees
Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit). The 2015 Paris Agreement set a warming
target of 1.5 degrees C (2.7 degrees F) , a goal that the last IPCC
report found will require a 45 percent reduction in carbon emissions by
2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050. The leaked report paints a sobering
picture of that best-case scenario. "Even at 1.5 degrees Celsius of
warming, conditions will change beyond many organisms' ability to
adapt," the leaked report says. Last month, the World Meteorological
Organization estimated a 40 percent probability that average global
temperature will cross that threshold for at least one year by 2026...
- -
Jacquelyn Gill, paleoclimatologist at the University of Maine, told
Grist earlier this year that while tipping points are scary, they don't
take away human agency over the problem of climate change. "We may not
be able to predict exactly when some of these tipping points occur, but
what we can do is control our actions, take ownership of our emissions,"
said Gill. Social tipping points for climate action, swift changes in
public opinion, technology, and policy, could work to rapidly reduce
emissions and prevent the worst impacts of climate change — so long as
governments get moving on their climate plans.

"We could stop global warming in a generation if we wanted to, which
would mean limiting future warming to not much more than has happened
already this century. We also know how." Myles Allen, a professor of
geosystem science at the University of Oxford, told the Guardian, "It's
just a matter of getting on with it."
https://www.salon.com/2021/07/03/leaked-un-report-warns-of-climate-tipping-points_partner/

[Nick Breeze interview]
*Measuring Impact; don’t know? Don’t care! Margaret Kim, CEO, Gold Standard*
July 3, 2021
Nick Breeze

In this episode of Shaping The Future I am speaking with Gold Standard
CEO, Margaret Kim. Gold Standard sets the standard for climate positive
implementation of a wide range of global scale projects.

The global push to eradicate emissions means that activities and
processes must be credible and effective if they are to build trust that
we are on target to avert overshoot due to the billions of tonnes of
human greenhouse gases emitted annually.

Margaret has enormous expertise in understanding the processes that
solve these issues and also the reality of what it means if we fail to
deliver.

Recent heatwaves and storm events are causing devastation across the
world regardless of where people are located. The need for accelerated
transformation of our society to one that absorbs rather than emits
carbon has never been greater.

Thanks for listening to Shaping The Future. You can support this channel
via my Patreon page or by subscribing to channels and giving feedback.
There are many more episodes on the way discussing a wide range of
climate issues so please stay tuned.

Time Stamps:

    00:00 Intro by Nick Breeze
    01:30 Ensuring carbon reduction project manage negative
    environmental risks
    03:30 Establishing public trust in the fight against greenwashing
    07:20 Assessing impacts: “If you don’t know, you don’t care!”
    14:00 On policy shifts: “We have seen huge movements from civil
    society groups, youth communities, making more progress than the 198
    negotiators and governments supporting that. I really hope that
    COP26 shows leadership that is badly needed.
    16:00 “Scope 3 emissions are key to Net Zero… but there is still a
    large gap…”
    19:00 “We have clear science based mile stones…. This is not
    something we can say is nice to have. It is a must.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC1FKhdkEFM

[clips from Washington Post warning:]
*Climate change has gotten deadly. It will get worse.*
Researchers say they are ‘virtually certain’ that warming from human
greenhouse gas emissions played a pivotal role in recent fatalities
By Sarah Kaplan - July 3, 2021
PORTLAND, Ore. — The emergency department at Oregon Health Sciences
University had rarely been this busy, even during the worst stages of
the covid-19 pandemic.

Physicians raced to provide fluids to patients who arrived breathless,
dizzy and drenched in sweat. Others were brought in on stretchers, their
body temperatures so high their central nervous systems had shut down.
Those who could still speak told of stifling apartments and sun that
made their skin sizzle. Some had tried to walk to county cooling
shelters, only to collapse in the blistering heat.

“The system was overwhelmed,” said Mary Tanski, chair of OHSU’s
department of emergency medicine, of the towering heat dome that toppled
temperature records across the Northwest this week.

Some patients didn’t survive. In Oregon, Washington and western Canada,
authorities are investigating more than 800 deaths potentially linked to
the punishing heat...
- -
Within the next week, researchers expect to publish a “rapid
attribution” study that determines how climate change made the Northwest
heat wave more likely. Yet precisely quantifying the role of climate
change in the event has been difficult because the heat was just so
extreme, said Michael Wehner, a climate scientist at Lawrence Berkeley
National Laboratory in California who is contributing to the attribution
effort.

“It’s well beyond what straightforward statistical analysis would
suggest. It’s well beyond what climate models suggest,” he continued.
“But it happened.”

Studies show the chance of a given tropical storm becoming a hurricane
that is Category 3 or greater has grown 8 percent every decade. The
acreage of the West burned by wildfire is twice what it would otherwise
be. The heat wave that struck the Northwest this week brought
temperatures that were as much as 11 degrees above the previous all-time
high...
- -
“Climate change has loaded the weather dice against us,” said Katharine
Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University and chief scientist
for the Nature Conservancy.

“These extremes are something we knew were coming,” she added. “The
suffering that is here and now is because we have not heeded the
warnings sufficiently.”

Humans burning fossil fuels have caused the globe to warm roughly 1
degree Celsius, or 2 degrees Fahrenheit, since the preindustrial era.
It’s a seemingly incremental change, but it has led to
disproportionately frequent and severe natural disasters.

Think of the climate as a bell curve, Hayhoe said, with temperatures
distributed according to how common they ought to be. The center of the
bell curve may have shifted just a couple of degrees, but the area of
the curve now in the “extreme” zone has increased significantly...
- -
Speaking over the phone, Wehner’s tone was somber as he discussed the
wildfire smoke that choked California last summer, people whose homes
burned down, a friend whose 90-year-old mother was killed when the town
of Paradise was consumed by flames. Haltingly, he recalled watching a
newscaster interview a Pakistani man whose two children had died in a
2015 heat wave. When Wehner later investigated the event, he found that
climate change had made the event 1,000 times more likely.

“It did not have to be this way,” he said. “We have known enough to take
action for 20 years. And if we had taken action 20 years ago, it would
be a lot easier.”

“But there’s no ‘I told you so,’” he continued. “I just feel bad. Just
bad. I really wish we had been wrong. But we weren’t.”

The only comfort, said Hayhoe, is in knowing that action can still be
taken. Though the world could exceed 1.5 degrees of warming within this
decade, scientists say we can avoid crossing that threshold if we cut
global greenhouse gas emissions by about 7.6 percent per year.

Such cuts would require an unprecedented transformation of human
society. But look at the alternative, Hayhoe said.

“We have choices to make, she said. “And the quicker we make those
choices, the better off we will all be. The future is in our hands.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/07/03/climate-change-heat-dome-death/

[Thoughtful coverage by DW]
*Western US in grips of hottest, driest summer in 1000 years? | DW News*
Jun 21, 2021
DW News
It may be the first day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, but for
some 50 million people in the US summer has arrived early and hotter
than ever before. In just the last week, high temperature records have
been shattered all across the western half of the US.
Salt Lake City, Utah, just saw its hottest day since record keeping
began in 1870. 107 degrees Fahrenheit. 42 degrees Celsius. Wyoming also
saw new records. In Nevada, Las Vegas continues to flirt with its
all-time high of 47 degrees Celsius. But the US city melting most is
Phoenix, Arizona, which just set an all-time record of five consecutive
days of 115 degrees or higher. That is 46 degrees Celsius.
The heat is making severe droughts across the western US go from bad to
worse. The federal government is already planning to declare an official
water shortage at Lake Mead in August. Lake Mead's waters power Hoover
Dam. As of last week, Lake Mead's water level is at a record low, and
there is n .relief in sight.
The Western US is in what scientists describe as a climate-change
induced megadrought.  Some even say this summer could be the hottest and
driest in a millennium.  And less water means more fire.
2020 saw a record number of wildfires in California, Oregon and
Washington. 2021 is expected to be worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLBc_PXDaOE

[Visible to millions in the Seattle area ]
*Heat wave sends water pouring off Mount Rainier, exposing glaciers to
summer heat sooner*
July 3, 2021
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jul/03/heat-wave-sends-water-pouring-off-mount-rainier-ex/

[Inslee is governor of Washington State ]
LIFE AFTER WARMING JULY 1, 2021
*How to Live in a Climate ‘Permanent Emergency’*
By David Wallace-Wells

The phrase Jay Inslee used was “permanent emergency.” This was before
Lytton — the town that had, days earlier, set Canada’s all-time heat
record, drawing waves of “heat tourists” as witnesses to “desert heat”
north of 120 degrees in a place where typical June highs were in the
mid-70s — burned to the ground just 15 minutes after the arrival of
smoke. It was before wildfires raging in British Columbia produced their
own pyrocumulus thunderstorms, which produced their own lightning
strikes that lit up the landscape again with fire — 3,800 lightning
strikes, according to one count, each striking the dry tinder that those
in the West now know to call “fuel” and the rest of the world, watching
an agonizing drought and heat event unfold, is learning to call just
“the West.” A tinderbox half a continent wide.

In Portland, Oregon, where temperatures got as high as 116, setting new
records three days in a row, with power cables melting in the heat, the
smoke plume from Northern California’s Lava fire settled over downtown
on Tuesday. If the whole region was enclosed in a “heat dome,” as the
meteorologists kept saying, it was beginning to fill with wildfire smoke
and not slowly. While the Lava fire had grown to 15,000 acres in its
first day, just on the other side of Mount Shasta burned the Tennant
fire. What lies ahead is quite likely to be the worst fire season in
modern California history, its strongest competition the fires of last
year and the ones only two years before that.

In British Columbia, there were at least 486 “sudden deaths” in the
midst of the heatwave — a number that is sure to grow many times over,
since deaths from heat are rarely so obvious they can be identified in
real time rather than statistical analysis. In Portland, at least 63
have died, and in Seattle, where less than half of homes have air
conditioning, the extreme heat has put more than a thousand people in
the hospital already. Local hoteliers were celebrating, however — their
hotels full for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, with
locals fleeing their homes in search of the relief of AC. “It’s been a
blessing,” one said.

Elsewhere in Washington State, the roads were melting and agricultural
workers as young as 12 and as old as 70 were starting their shifts at 4
a.m. to try to harvest the region’s cherries and blueberries before the
fruit was fried by the heat. In Sacramento, residents complaining that
the tap water tasted too much like dirt, thanks to the ongoing drought
that may be the worst the American West has seen in millennia, were told
to “add lemon.” In Santa Barbara, people have been advised to jerry-rig
DIY “clean-air rooms” in preparation for the coming fire season, now
already in full swing — months ahead of what used to mark the beginning
of peak activity in the fall. Suppliers of sparklers were shuttered
headed into the Fourth of July weekend. In Alaska, at the edge of the
heat dome, the climate writer Eric Holthaus noted, “calving glaciers are
producing ‘ice quakes’ as powerful as small earthquakes as they crumble
into the sea.” It was hotter in parts of Canada and Oregon, climate
scientist Zeke Hausfather pointed out, than it has ever been in the
history of Las Vegas, smack in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

“It blows my mind that we could get the temperatures that we’re
observing here in the Pacific Northwest, especially on the west sides of
the Cascade,” the Washington State climatologist Nick Bond told the
Guardian. “I would have been willing to guess something like that in the
middle of the century, in the latter part of the century.”...
- -
Simply because tens of millions of people in Canada and the U.S. are
living through the heat dome, however many thousands die from it, and
will survive the fire season to come, however much they choke on its
smoke, it would be criminal to look back on what is happening now and
will happen in the months ahead and think, “We managed.”

But probably it would be just as criminal to fail to focus on managing
climate change in addition to stopping it. Indeed, almost inevitably,
the matter of management will likely move more and more center stage, as
Lewis suggests in his essay, which name-checks a number of areas of
needed investment and planning: early warning systems, dramatically
expanded cooling centers, and forecasts featuring wet-bulb temperatures,
when it comes to heat waves; rebuilding infrastructure, energy
infrastructure particularly, to make it resilient in the face of new
climate extremes; retrofitting homes and “future-proofing” agriculture
by developing new strains of crops that can thrive, or at least survive,
in our brutal new world. He didn’t mention defensive infrastructure,
such as sea walls and levees, or large-scale controlled burns of forests
in places like the American west, or driving mosquitoes extinct through
genetic engineering so they don’t begin spreading tropical diseases like
dengue or malaria as far north as Scandanavia in the decades ahead.
According to models developed by Portland State’s Vivek Shandas, simply
“greening” cities through more grass and green roofs, lighter building
colors and more tree canopy, could reduce the on-ground temperature
there, in intense heat waves, by as much as 25 degrees, compared to an
extreme scenario in which the entire city is simply paved into an
asphalt future—though he cautions that these are idealized, extreme
models, and that the greening, though it sounds simple, would not be
exactly easy to implement, certainly in the absence of regular heat
emergencies.

For years now, hyperbolic headliners have used those kinds of disasters
of warming to declare that the age of climate change had arrived. This
year suggests the possibility of a new arrival — the age of adaptation,
or what climate-and-energy researcher Juan Moreno-Cruz yesterday called
“climate realism.”

Alarmism, he said, was “useless,” and even efforts to decarbonize have
served as a kind of distraction. “Stop dreaming up climate solutions,
think of climate managing strategies,” he admonished.

Talking climate solutions has left us unprepared for actual climate
change. We keep running models and fighting over which “solution” is the
best, but we have done nothing to address the impacts of climate change.

Managing climate change is not as sexy as solving climate change, but
it’s what we need. Yes, we need real action to achieve deep
decarbonization in our economy. There is no amount of adaptation we can
do if we don‘t get emissions under control. But we already baked in so
much warming we need to deal with it now. We painted ourselves into this
corner, and we need to navigate our way out of it. Dreaming about a
future carbon-free system will do nothing for people in India and
Pakistan today.

Perhaps the great awakening on warming has already happened — or keeps
happening and keeps being forgotten, among other reasons so that we can
continue to believe we stand just at the threshold of climate suffering
rather than well beyond it. But the great awakening on adaptation
probably still lies ahead of us. Or maybe that “permanent emergency” is
beginning right now.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/07/how-to-live-in-a-climate-permanent-emergency.html

[information warfare volley from The Juice Media - lots of Australian
swearing]
*Honest Government Ad | We Make Everything Good Sh!t*
Jul 2, 2021
thejuicemedia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uXo7wtGW7M
The Australien Government has made an ad about how it makes everything
good, shit - and it’s surprisingly honest and informative.

👉 Ways you can support us to keep making videos:
🔹 Become a Patron: https://www.patreon.com/TheJuiceMedia
🔹 Tip us on PayPal: https://www.paypal.me/thejuicemedia

👉 PODCAST: https://www.thejuicemedia.com/podcast
👉 PG VERSIONS: https://www.thejuicemedia.com/teachers [lots of bleeping]

Hey everyone, here's the latest Honest Government Ad - which as always,
was made possible thanks to our Patrons. Not many people have heard of
GISERA - the alliance between five of Australia's biggest gas/fracking
companies, and the CSIRO, our trusted and beloved science agency. But
that's about to change hopefully now (*checks views*). And that's a good
thing because it's extremely concerning when Governments allow the
country's scientific agencies to be infiltgrated, hollowed out and
parasitised by companies which have a massive interest in playing down
the harmful effects of gas mining and fracking - on the environment, our
health, and of course the climate crisis.

The scariest thing is that many CSIRO scientists say they're unable to
communicate their research findings to the public; or to speak out about
this bullshit for fear of losing their funding, or even their jobs. So I
thought we should lend them a hand. Coz at a time like this, we
absolutely need our scientists to be able to do their jobs.

As always, we'll publish the PG version in a couple of days, so keep an
eye out on our Teachers Page for that one:
https://www.thejuicemedia.com/honest-government-ads-teachers/
And in about a week we'll also publish the podcast companion for this
HGA, so we can discuss this shitfuckery in more detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uXo7wtGW7M

- -

[See for yourself]
*Research – GISERA*
https://gisera.csiro.au/research
GISERA has been formed to provide independent scientific research that
contributes constructively and objectively on Australia’s growing
onshore gas industry. GISERA aims to ensure its research is informed by
and of benefit to the broader community and industry.
https://gisera.csiro.au/

[five experts video discussion]
*Many Years of Living Dangerously - Roger Hallam John Doyle & Robert
Hunziker - Part 1*
Jan 21, 2021
Facing Future
Today Dale Walkonen and Stuart Scott, Producers of FacingFuture.TV,
converse with three distinguished guests: Roger Hallam, John Doyle and
Robert Hunziker.
- Roger Hallam, formerly an organic farmer from Wales, saw the
handwriting on the wall and became one of the co-founders of the
world-wide 'XR' or 'Extinction Rebellion' taking civil disobedience to
new refined heights.
- John Doyle, is a member of the EU Foresight Group in Brussels, who are
tasked with looking 50 years into the future to propose EU policies.
- Robert Hunziker is a journalist who does not just swallow and parrot
the 'mainstream narrative' peddled by the major news organizations like
MSNBC, CNN, and others, nor the wildly demented, politically biased
'news' of the Murdock chain (Fox News in the US, other 'rag'
publications in the UK) in the fictions they publish as 'news.'  Even
the NY Times, WashingtonPost, and other famous names in journalism are
guilty of leaving out the 'investigative' part of journalism, and print
what governments tell them is the truth. We've seen where that got us
with a president who was a congenital liar.  Instead, Robert ferrets out
the truth of our critical situation with respect to the climate and
ecosystems of Earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHVn-mpLxEM

[a classic lecture from the late Dr Al Bartlett]
*Sustainability 101: Exponential Growth - Arithmetic, Population and
Energy (Full - Updated)*
Jun 1, 2011
Sustainable Guidance
Dr. Albert Bartlett discusses the implications of unending growth on
economies, population, and resources.  Presented at UBC on 5/19/2011.

This compelling lecture is easy to pay attention to and gives a basic
introduction to the arithmetic of steady growth, including an
explanation of the concept of doubling time. He explains the impact of
unending steady growth on population.  He then examines the consequences
steady growth in a finite environment and observes this growth as
applied to fossil fuel consumption, the lifetimes of which are much
shorter than the optimistic figures most often quoted.

He proceeds to examine oddly reassuring statements from "experts", the
media and political leaders - statements that are dramatically
inconsistent with the facts. He discusses the widespread worship of
economic growth and population growth in western society. Professor
Bartlett explains "sustainability" in the context of the First Law of
Sustainability:

"You cannot sustain population growth and / or growth in the rates of
consumption of resources.

This 1708th presentation of this matierial by Dr. Bartlett brings the
listener to understand and appreciate the implications of unending
growth on a finite planet, and closes noting the crucial need for
education on this topic.

Professor Bartlett has given this celebrated one-hour lecture beginning
in September, 1969, to audiences with an average attendance of 80 in the
United States and world-wide. His audiences have ranged from junior high
school and college students to corporate executives and scientists, and
to congressional staffs. For more information, see
http://www.AlBartlett.org .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ghHia-M54

- -

[More Al Bartlet]
*Al Bartlett Interview*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ZJCtL6bPs

[Inspirational information]
*Suzanne Simard | Mother Trees and the Social Forest*
Jun 15, 2021
Long Now Foundation

Forest Ecologist Suzanne Simard reveals that trees are part of a
complex, interdependent circle of life; that forests are social,
cooperative creatures connected through underground mycorrhizal networks
by which trees communicate their vitality and vulnerabilities, and share
and exchange resources and support.

Simard's extraordinary research and tenacious efforts to raise awareness
on the interconnectedness of forest systems, both above and below
ground, has revolutionized our understanding of forest ecology. This
increasing knowledge is driving a call for more sustainable practices in
forestry and land management, ones that develop strategies based on the
forest as a whole entity, not on trees as isolated individuals.

Dr. Suzanne Simard is a Professor of Forest Ecology at the University of
British Columbia and the author of "Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering
the Wisdom of the Forest" (pub. 5/4/21). An active field researcher for
decades, her scientific studies and observations built the foundations
for our new understanding of the complexity of forest systems. Simard's
current collaboration The Mother Tree Project, is investigating forest
renewal practices that will protect biodiversity, carbon storage and
forest regeneration as the climate changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydbzrun3opk

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming July 5, 2012*
Economist Yoram Bauman and law professor Shi-Ling Hsu point out the
benefits of a federal carbon tax in a New York Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/opinion/a-carbon-tax-sensible-for-all.html

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry