[✔️] June 8, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jun 8 09:50:41 EDT 2021

/*June 8, 2021*/

[CBS News video report]
*Record-breaking heat wave threatens millions*
Jun 7, 2021
CBS Evening News
Millions of Americans are under a heat advisory as some states record
record-high temperatures on Monday. Meanwhile, severe drought conditions
helped fuel two wildfires in Arizona.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXes2gj6FM

[Not the game, the metaphor]
*Climate tipping points could topple like dominoes, warn scientists*
Analysis shows significant risk of cascading events even at 2C of
heating, with severe long-term effects
Ice sheets and ocean currents at risk of climate tipping points can
destabilise each other as the world heats up, leading to a domino effect
with severe consequences for humanity, according to a risk analysis.

Tipping points occur when global heating pushes temperatures beyond a
critical threshold, leading to accelerated and irreversible impacts.
Some large ice sheets in Antarctica are thought to already have passed
their tipping points, meaning large sea-level rises in coming centuries.

The new research examined the interactions between ice sheets in West
Antarctica, Greenland, the warm Atlantic Gulf Stream and the Amazon
rainforest. The scientists carried out 3m computer simulations and found
domino effects in a third of them, even when temperature rises were
below 2C, the upper limit of the Paris agreement.
Ice sheets and ocean currents at risk of climate tipping points can
destabilise each other as the world heats up, leading to a domino effect
with severe consequences for humanity, according to a risk analysis.

Tipping points occur when global heating pushes temperatures beyond a
critical threshold, leading to accelerated and irreversible impacts.
Some large ice sheets in Antarctica are thought to already have passed
their tipping points, meaning large sea-level rises in coming centuries.

The new research examined the interactions between ice sheets in West
Antarctica, Greenland, the warm Atlantic Gulf Stream and the Amazon
rainforest. The scientists carried out 3m computer simulations and found
domino effects in a third of them, even when temperature rises were
below 2C, the upper limit of the Paris agreement...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/03/climate-tipping-points-could-topple-like-dominoes-warn-scientists
- -
[There's big excitement about this paper]
*Interacting tipping elements increase risk of climate domino effects
under global warming*
Overall, we find that the interactions tend to destabilise the network
of tipping elements. Furthermore, our analysis reveals the qualitative
role of each of the four tipping elements within the network, showing
that the polar ice sheets on Greenland and West Antarctica are
oftentimes the initiators of tipping cascades, while the AMOC acts as a
mediator transmitting cascades. This indicates that the ice sheets,
which are already at risk of transgressing their temperature thresholds
within the Paris range of 1.5 to 2 ∘C, are of particular importance for
the stability of the climate system as a whole.
https://esd.copernicus.org/articles/12/601/2021/

[Wildfire Today]
*Additional evacuations ordered for Telegraph Fire southwest of Globe,
Arizona*
Bill Gabbert -- June 7, 2021
Additional evacuations ordered for Telegraph Fire southwest of Globe,
Arizona
Evacuation orders still in effect for Mescal Fire
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/06/07/additional-evacuations-ordered-for-telegraph-fire-southwest-of-globe-arizona/

[Esquire article]
*We're Inching Towards Actual Violence Over Access to Water*
The Hoover Dam is losing its reason for being.
Here at the shebeen, one of the larger elements in our portfolio is
water—specifically, the increasing political salience of water,
especially in the West, where they are experiencing such profound
drought conditions that the Hoover Dam, of all things, is losing its
reason for being. From CBS News:

    For more than eight decades, the iconic Hoover Dam has relied on
    water from Nevada's Lake Mead to cover up its backside. But now, at
    age 85, it finds itself uncomfortably exposed. Much of the water the
    dam is supposed to be holding back is gone. "This is like a
    different world," said Pat Mulroy, the former head of the Southern
    Nevada Water Authority. She told CBS News senior national and
    environmental correspondent Ben Tracy that Lake Mead, the nation's
    largest reservoir, is on track to soon hit its lowest level ever
    recorded.

The dam is estimated to have lost a quarter of its customary
hydroelectric power. Worse, the lower Colorado River, without which the
country would have a lot of new deserts, is at a crisis stage, and the
federal government may have to take serious action that will affect the
region’s farmers—and that I guarantee you will set off the Bundy-ite fringe.

    For the first time ever, the federal government is expected to
    declare a water shortage on the lower Colorado River later this
    summer. That will force automatic cuts to the water supply for
    Nevada and Arizona starting in 2022. Homeowners have higher priority
    and, at first, won't feel the pain as badly as farmers. Dan
    Thelander is a second-generation family farmer in Arizona's Pinal
    County. The water to grow his corn and alfalfa fields comes from
    Lake Mead. "If we don't have irrigation water, we can't farm," he
    said. "So, next year we are going to get about 25% less water, means
    we're going to have to fallow or not plant 25% of our land.” In 2023
    Thelander and other farmers in this part of Arizona are expected to
    lose nearly all of their water from Lake Mead, so they are rushing
    to dig wells to pump groundwater to try to save their farms.

Meanwhile, a few degrees north, the High Country News reports the
drought is killing fish and local economies, in that order.

    Fish have been dying on the Klamath since around May 4, according to
    the Yurok Tribal Fisheries Department. At that time, 97% of the
    juvenile salmon caught by the department’s in-river trapping device
    were infected with the disease C. shasta, and were either dead, or
    would die within days. Over a two-week period, 70% of the juvenile
    salmon caught in the trap were dead.

    Irrigators upriver from the fish kill were told in mid-May that for
    the first time since “A” Canal in the Klamath Project began
    operating in 1907, they would not receive any water from it. The
    irrigators say they need 400,000 acre-feet of water but this year,
    they will receive just 33,000 acre-feet from the Klamath Project — a
    historic low. The situation has put pressure on an embattled region
    already caught in a cyclical mode of crisis due to a drying climate.
    “For salmon people, a juvenile fish kill is an absolute worst-case
    scenario,” Myers said in a statement.

As is obvious, this is all yet another crisis within the general climate
crisis. We are inching closer to the days when we might see actual
violence over access to water. As if we all need another excuse.
Charles P. Pierce
Charles P Pierce is the author of four books, most recently Idiot
America, and has been a working journalist since 1976.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36651183/hoover-dam-water-shortage-colorado-river/

[NPR report]
*Carbon Dioxide, Which Drives Climate Change, Reaches Highest Level In 4
Million Years*
June 7, 2021
The amount of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere reached 419 parts per
million in May, its highest level in more than four million years, the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced on Monday.

After dipping last year because of pandemic-fueled lockdowns, emissions
of greenhouse gases have begun to soar again as economies open and
people resume work and travel. The newly released data about May carbon
dioxide levels show that the global community so far has failed to slow
the accumulation of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere, NOAA said in
its announcement...
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/07/1004097672/atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-fueling-climate-change-hits-a-four-million-year-high

[NBC Bay Area]
*As Sea Level Rise Threat Grows, SF Officials Don't Have Public Plan to
Save Sewers*
Rising seas that flood sewage treatment plants can prevent toilets from
flushing. How will the Bay Area keep sewers working? NBC Bay Area's
Investigative Unit asked 10 sewage treatment facilities for their
survival plans. All had one to show - except San Francisco.
Because Bay Area low-lying sewage treatment plants remain vulnerable to
rising sea levels, government regulators told sewage facility managers
to “provide a written plan for coping with SLR by the fall of 2021 - or
they will be given a plan.”  The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit reached
out to 10 “at risk” sewage treatment plants to see those plans. All
except one provided extensive documents of their proposals, the cost to
address them, and even provided tours of completed work. San Francisco’s
Public Utilities Commission replied to the Investigative Unit’s public
records request that after a “diligent search for records...no records
were found.”...
- -
At East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD), wastewater director
Eileen White has been facing a monumental task to “keep the stormwater
in the stormwater system and the wastewater in the wastewater system,”
she said.

East Bay MUD is working on repairing its 1,600 miles of leaking pipes
because when a big storm comes, the storm water can overwhelm the sewer
pipes.

“We're very fortunate at this treatment plant ... we’re higher than
(some of the) other wastewater treatment plants in the Bay Area,” said
White.

Even so, EBMUD’s plans to protect against sea level rise include, as a
last resort, the construction of a mile and a half long, 4-foot-high
floodwall at a cost of $140 per linear foot or about $2 million dollars
in total.

“We're expected to have about 12 to 15 inches of sea level rise by the
year 2050,” White said. “We've adopted design guidelines so...we make
sure we raise the electrical equipment up so it won't be impacted by sea
level rise.”...
- -
“Nobody knows how quickly sea level is going to rise and I think if you
just look back in the past 10 years, what we thought 10 years ago, where
we'd be today, we've already blown past that,” said Roche. ..
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/as-sea-level-rise-threat-grows-sf-officials-dont-have-public-plan-to-save-sewers/2554470/

[opportunistic disinformation warfare]
*The far right is weaponizing climate change to argue against immigration*
The right-wing solution to environmental problems: more borders and
exclusion.
By Jariel Arvin  Jun 3, 2021
- -
Some advocates are worried that the Arizona case, which uses climate
change as a weapon against immigrants, communities of color, and poor
people, could become a more common means of attack for the right.

This idea has deep roots in right-wing environmentalism. But it also has
disturbing echoes of a far-right ideology known as “ecofascism.”

Ecofascism refers to “groups and ideologies that offer authoritarian,
hierarchical, and racist analyses and solutions to environmental
problems,” Blair Taylor, program director at the Institute for Social
Ecology, told me.

The solution to those problems, ecofascists believe, is “the same as the
right’s answers to many other issues: more walls, more borders, more
exclusion, and more justification of hierarchy and elite rule,” said
Taylor, author of “Alt-Right Ecology: Ecofascism and far-right
environmentalism in the United States.”...
- -
But although these far-right environmentalists blame immigrants for
environmental problems, the science indicates otherwise. It’s the
world’s richest who are driving the climate emergency.

A September 2020 report by Oxfam found that from 1990 to 2015 — a
critical 25-year period during which humans doubled the amount of carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere — the wealthiest 1 percent of the world’s
population accounted for more than twice as much carbon pollution as the
3.1 billion people who made up the poorest half of humanity...
- -
To recognize [and counter] ecofascism requires understanding the tropes
and the longer history of environmentalism’s racist, classist, and
sexist components. The environmental movement must offer an articulation
of environmental concerns that is emancipatory and social and doesn’t
fall into the traps it has fallen into in the past. Avoiding those
mistakes means having a bit of sensitivity and understanding that ideas
can point us in better and worse directions politically.

This is why I’ve argued for a social ecology — not just looking at
numbers and population growth but looking at how different groups and
systems are disproportionately to blame and face disproportionate
impacts. This is largely the kind of work we do at the Institute for
Social Ecology, offering democratic and emancipatory answers to
environmental and social problems
https://www.vox.com/22456663/arizona-environment-immigration-climate-change-right-wing

[looking ahead]
*Climate crisis to shrink G7 economies twice as much as Covid-19, says
research*
G7 countries will lose $5tn a year by 2050 if temperatures rise by 2.6C..
- -
The G7 countries – the world’s biggest industrialised economies – will
lose 8.5% of GDP a year, or nearly $5tn wiped off their economies,
within 30 years if temperatures rise by 2.6C, as they are likely to on
the basis of government pledges and policies around the world, according
to research from Oxfam and the Swiss Re Institute...
- -
The leaders of the G7 countries – the UK, the US, Japan, Canada, France,
Germany, Italy – and the EU will meet in Cornwall on Friday to discuss
the global economy, Covid-19 vaccines, taxes on business, and the
climate crisis.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/07/climate-crisis-to-shrink-g7-economies-twice-as-much-as-covid-19-says-research

- -

[Report from Swiss Re]
*The economics of climate change: **no action not an option*
https://www.swissre.com/dam/jcr:e73ee7c3-7f83-4c17-a2b8-8ef23a8d3312/swiss-re-institute-expertise-publication-economics-of-climate-change.pdf

[Washington State]
*Wildfire season 2021: What to expect this summer*
Oregon, and much of the Pacific Northwest, is heading into fire season
very dry.

    So just how dry has it been? In March we only saw 1.55 inches of
    rain, April was the driest on record with .39 inches of rain. In
    May, it was .58 inches of rain. Those three months combined add up
    to about 2.50 inches of rain. In a normal spring we should get over
    nine inches of rain during those three months. Now, there is a lot
    of concern heading into summer.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/wildfire/wildfire-season-2021-what-to-expect/283-8171052a-4246-4e26-8cc2-20201e01cad8

[Huffington Post]
*David Attenborough Says Climate Change Is A ‘Crime’ Humanity Has
Inflicted On The Planet*
The documentarian reiterated his grief that society has destroyed large
swaths of the natural world, but said humanity is “not beyond redemption.”
In his book and documentary, Attenborough pointed to existing technology
that could help greatly alleviate the threat of climate change,
primarily an immediate shift away from fossil fuels and an effort to
“rewild” large tracts of the planet, giving the natural world time to
recover.

The threat, he concluded, has grown so large as to be beyond the burden
of any one nation.

“I would say that the time has come to put aside national ambitions and
look for an international ambition of survival,” he said. He later
added: “What good does it do to say, “Oh, to hell with it, I don’t
care.’ You can’t say that. Not if … you love your children. Not if you
love the rest of human― how can you say that?”
- -
In his book and documentary, Attenborough pointed to existing technology
that could help greatly alleviate the threat of climate change,
primarily an immediate shift away from fossil fuels and an effort to
“rewild” large tracts of the planet, giving the natural world time to
recover.

The threat, he concluded, has grown so large as to be beyond the burden
of any one nation.

“I would say that the time has come to put aside national ambitions and
look for an international ambition of survival,” he said. He later
added: “What good does it do to say, “Oh, to hell with it, I don’t
care.’ You can’t say that. Not if … you love your children. Not if you
love the rest of human― how can you say that?”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/david-attenbourough-climate-change-crime_n_60bd88c7e4b0882193c5e7b7

[wake up, guys]
*Disaster patriarchy: how the pandemic has unleashed a war on women*
In disaster patriarchy, women lose their safety, their economic power,
their autonomy, their education, and they are pushed on to the
frontlines, unprotected, to be sacrificed.

As Covid-19 has swept the world there has been an explosion of violence
against women, and a full-blown assault on their rights. It’s time to
fight back against a system that allows women to be sacrificed, erased
and violated
V (formerly Eve Ensler) - 1 Jun 2021
Covid has unleashed the most severe setback to women’s liberation in my
lifetime. While watching this happen, I have started to think we are
witnessing an outbreak of disaster patriarchy.

Naomi Klein was the first to identify “disaster capitalism”, when
capitalists use a disaster to impose measures they couldn’t possibly get
away with in normal times, generating more profit for themselves.
Disaster patriarchy is a parallel and complementary process, where men
exploit a crisis to reassert control and dominance, and rapidly erase
hard-earned women’s rights. All over the world, patriarchy has taken
full advantage of the virus to reclaim power – on the one hand,
escalating the danger and violence to women, and on the other, stepping
in as their supposed controller and protector...
- -
The feminist author Gerda Lerner wrote in 1986: “The system of
patriarchy in a historic construct has a beginning and it will have an
end. Its time seems to have nearly run its course. It no longer serves
the needs of men and women, and its intractable linkage to militarism,
hierarchy and racism has threatened the very existence of life on Earth.”

As powerful as patriarchy is, it’s just a story. As the post-pandemic
era unfolds, can we imagine another system, one that is not based on
hierarchy, violence, domination, colonialisation and occupation? Do we
see the connection between the devaluing, harming and oppression of all
women and the destruction of the Earth itself? What if we lived as if we
were kin? What if we treated each person as sacred and essential to the
unfolding story of humanity?

What if rather than exploiting, dominating and hurting women and girls
during a crisis, we designed a world that valued them, educated them,
paid them, listened to them, cared for them and centred them?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jun/01/disaster-patriarchy-how-the-pandemic-has-unleashed-a-war-on-women

- -

[this article is 14 years old]
*Disaster capitalism: how to make money out of misery*
Naomi Klein
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/aug/30/comment.hurricanekatrina

[Deep dive into psychology of Earnest Becker]
*Sheldon Solomon at Town Hall Seattle*
Feb 4, 2016
ernestbecker
Sheldon Solomon speaks on Terror Management Theory, Ernest Becker, and
his new book, "The Worm at the Core."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0mwd9cR24

[The news archive - historic debate between two esteemed scientists]
*On this day in the history of global warming June 8, 1990*
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology hosts a global-warming debate
between climate scientist Stephen Schneider and climate denier Dick
Lindzen. Reporting on the debate the next day, the Boston Globe notes:

"A long-anticipated showdown at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology yesterday between two prominent voices in the global-warming
debate brought little agreement about the reliability of current
predictions for the rate and magnitude of climate change. But despite
the seriousness of the topic, the event did provide a theatrical and
sometimes humorous presentation of the arguments on either side.

"Underscoring the range of scientific opinion on the issue, the
organizers put MIT meteorologist Richard Lindzen on one side and climate
researcher Stephen Schneider of the National Center for Atmospheric
Research on the other side of a table divided down the middle.
Schneider, who believes there is a better-than-even chance of
'unprecedentedly fast climate change' in the next century, sat at the
red end in front of a palm tree, while Lindzen, one the most vocal
skeptics, commanded the blue extreme before a scraggly spruce. The
moderator straddled the border.

"These models are made up of equations that are meant to represent the
important physical processes -- such as motion and heat transport in the
atmosphere -- that work together to create weather and climate. Based on
the work of five climate modeling teams in the United States and Britain
and forecasts of energy use, scientists have projected that the earth's
average temperature will rise between 3 and 9 degrees Fahrenheit by the
middle of the next century. While such a temperature rise might not
sound like much, climate researchers say that such a sharp rise in
global temperature in such a short time almost certainly would cause
major shifts in climate."

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8177663.html [dead site I am unable to
find a video or audio record of this event]

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry