[✔️] June15 , 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jun 15 11:27:10 EDT 2021

/*June 15, 2021*/

[Yes]
*Google, Facebook, Amazon and more urge SEC to mandate regular climate
reports*
JUN 14 2021
In a letter to SEC Chairman Gary Gensler on Friday, Google-parent
Alphabet, Amazon, Autodesk, eBay, Facebook, Intel and Salesforce shared
their view in response to a request for public input on such disclosures.
The tech industry has been vocal on climate issues in the past, even as
employees have pressed the companies themselves to do better.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/14/google-facebook-amazon-and-more-urge-sec-to-mandate-regular-climate-reports.html
- -
[video explanation]
*WATCH: Why climate change could lead to a financial crisis (and what we
can do about it*
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/05/06/why-climate-change-is-a-ticking-economic-time-bomb-and-what-we-can-do-about-it.html

[remember snow]
*Remember snow days? Today’s kids get heat days.*
America’s schools are underprepared for the worst impacts of climate change.
https://grist.org/extreme-weather/remember-snow-days-todays-kids-get-heat-days/

[duh - information battle]
*Weather Channel’s New Forecast: More Viewers Want Climate Change News
(EXCLUSIVE)*
By Brian Steinberg - Jun 14, 2021
Accelerating climate change and its far-flung effects have  fast become
the most important story in the news cycle. But that isn’t always the
stuff that gets talked about or tweeted — or the biggest ratings.

Part of the issue? Shifts in the environment happen gradually over time,
not usually in a violent, shocking moment that can be captured by
cameras. Increasingly frequent bursts of severe weather are changing
that dynamic, but most news outlets have tried to address the story with
special reports and new teams of reporters that are add-ons to their
journalism infrastructure.

Now the Weather Channel is making climate change a bigger part of its
overall focus. The cable network over the next several months plans to
infuse climate coverage into its morning, afternoon and even
entertainment programs in a way that Nora Zimmett, the outlet’s chief
content officer, believes will make for reports that audiences won’t be
able to ignore...
- -
Like forecasting the weather, predicting what audiences want is never
easy, she adds “We always want to make sure we are programing to our
viewers and not to ourselves.”
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/weather-channel-climate-change-coverage-1234995741/

[G7 - cops out]
*G7 Nations Take Aggressive Climate Action but Hold Back on Coal*
President Biden pushed climate action after four years in which Donald
Trump rejected cooperation with allies. But leaders failed to set an
expiration date for burning coal...
- -
Because the world’s remaining intact ecosystems and biodiversity hot
spots are unevenly distributed, scientists emphasize that it’s not
enough for each country to carve out its own 30 percent. Rather,
countries should work together to maximize the protection of areas that
will yield the best returns on reversing the interdependent biodiversity
and climate crises. Researchers have mapped suggestions.

The rights of local communities, including Indigenous peoples who have
been better stewards of biodiversity, must be valued, advocates said.
Protecting nature does not mean kicking people out, but rather ensuring
that wild areas are used sustainably.

Robert Watson, a former chairman of two leading intergovernmental panels
on climate change and biodiversity, praised the agreement for linking
the two crises. But he said it needs to address the factors that are
driving species loss, including agriculture, logging and mining.

“I do not see what actions will be taken to stop the causes,” Dr. Watson
said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/13/us/politics/G7-climate-Biden.html

[Modern Diplomacy]
*A Threat to Global Security: Climate Change**
*June 14, 2021 -- Amra Ashiq
Climate change has become a real concern and a challenge to the global
security of world and hence falls under the category of global issues.
Its impact is now being percept and discern by many states. Now the
policy formulators and strategic intellectuals have recognized the
climate change as serious and even multidimensional global issue. The
climate change possess potential of altering the life of individuals as
the  issue not only  has impact on one sector of individual’s life but
also produce challenges in different sectors of human life like
environment, economic, political and social. Hence the climate change
affects the human life in miscellaneous ways.

Climate change include the events like extreme weather conditions such
as floods, storms, and heat waves, as well as migration and depopulation
in the areas that become uninhabitable and can even cause migration and
depopulation in regions that become uninhabitable due to the threats
posed by climate change. These threats include rise in sea level,
drought, water scarcity, food insecurity, and even bio security menaces.
Side by side complexity of the issue is that warming and acidification
of the oceans is also happening, sea levels are rising and glaciers are
melting at the same time. These shifts become more common in the coming
decades, they will undoubtedly pose challenges to our climate and
community. Human activities are increasingly influencing the climate and
causing prompt changes in earth’s climate on regular accounts in number
of ways by consuming fossil fuels, removing trees, and also through
livestock farming. This drastically raises the emissions of greenhouse
gases hitherto evident in the environment; as a result, the greenhouse
impact is exacerbated, resulting in global warming. It is being
witnessed that day by day these threats are rising in great number and
these climate changes are posing serious challenges to global security.

Exquisitely expounding how the climate change is becoming a global
security issue because its dynamics have an impact on all levels and in
different dimensions. Climate change is also having profound influence
on governance, conflict and crime as when the degree of any global issue
exacerbates, it also leads to the rise in conflict and crime, as well as
weakening of state governance over its subjects. Taking into account the
climate conflict nexus, which arises as a result of the severity of
climate change, resulting in state fragility, resource wars, insurgency,
and terrorism, corruption is just another stumbling block to addressing
climate insecurity and conflict. This climate insecurity allows criminal
organizations to thrive on climate insecurity, and as a result, they
commit corruption, worsening the situation. This climate related
corruption will not only result in climate conflict but also fuel
terrorism. Consequently it can even trigger instability in societies and
states and can even act as threat multiplier and vivify the rise of
militant or insurgent groups. Therefore making the situation deadly for
states as it may challenge the writ of government and at individual
level it threatens the human security. The climate change has become
global issue and a concern for global security as the issue has
multidimensional repercussions for human life. In addition to the
article explains the climate- conflict nexus and climate-terror nexus
and hence make the reader to ponder on the severity of situation.
Considering the example of Covid-19 pandemic, in which a variety of
criminal organizations, such as gangs and cartels, snatched up the
opportunities in response and state instability in the challenged
pandemic space to impose criminal rule in some regions. Conflict,
violence, and alternative governance arose as a result of the pandemic.
A similar impact is expected as a result of climate change.

As a result of drastic climate change, there will be massive migrations
in the future, and one country will overtake another in the pursuit of a
better climate. Witnessing the devastation of world wars another major
war that erupts in the near future will be “Climate War”. The dilemma
that this future climate war is going to create should have havoc
effects. It is very possible that new threats will be caused by climate
change, which will put nations in a position of limited natural
resources. Nations will certainly suffer as a result; however, it is
difficult for people to comprehend what is the root cause of this
destruction.

In a nut-shell it must be focused that what measures and strategies must
be adopted by states at domestic level and at international level to
meet the challenge of climate change, what   should sates do and how
should they cooperate among themselves in order to combat the challenge
of climate change and how should states lessens climate change adverse
repercussions for human life. There is an urge to make the scholars,
researches and policy makers to realize and think on the issue so to
bring the discussion of climate security forward. It also encourages
increased debate and research climate change, its repercussions on
individual life and climate-related conflict and crime. The crux of the
matter is that states should join hands together in order to meet the
challenge of climate change as global issue before we run of time and
things get of control and unmanageable. It is the need of hour that we
must collaborate and work to mitigate the impact of climate change. The
sphere would be a safer place to inhabit unless everyone took action and
attempted to halt any of the current climate change. Otherwise the
impacts of climate change would be catastrophic.
https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2021/06/14/a-threat-to-global-security-climate-change/
- -
[see much more]
https://moderndiplomacy.eu/category/topics/environment/

[old fellow optimism]
*Nobel winner’s evolution from ‘dark realist’ to just plain realist on
climate change*
In new book, *William Nordhaus* says there’s a better way to frame the
challenges posed by global warming and find solutions
- -
*Mufson: One thing that struck me was the emphasis your book places on
the responsibility of government when it comes to climate change.*

Nordhaus: One of the big themes of the book is that we have over the
last 200 or so years developed elegant and powerful theories about how
the private sector works — its strengths, its weakness. We see all
around us the miracles of the marketplace. But this does not apply to
public goods. The book explains that in a well-managed society we must
recognize the need for collective actions as well as actions of the
private sector.

To deal with collective action when it comes to public goods will
require some kind of government intervention. I don’t think of it as big
government but as collective action.

Contagions are, in a way, the most obvious example. Like carbon dioxide,
you can’t smell them or see them or taste them but they’re very
dangerous. In the olden days they would kill, in the case of the black
death, a quarter of the population. We can’t say, “Let the private
sector handle it.” It just won’t work...
- -
I’m hopeful that over the next couple of decades we’ll see a breakthrough.
*
**Mufson: What’s your view of the international side?*

Nordhaus: I want to put in a plug for the carbon club or compact. Global
warming is not a national problem but a global one. It is analogous to a
pandemic. For the climate problem we need to get countries together.
There are some proposals about how to change our current approach [seen
in the Paris accord] from a voluntary one to one that has some teeth. An
agreement with incentives to participate is the only way to get strong
agreements to slow warming.

Even if everyone meets the Paris objective, it’s not going to get you
anywhere near carbon neutrality by mid-century. So as a final word, I
would say we need innovation for international institutions, in this
case an international climate club.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2021/06/14/qa-william-nordhaus-interview-carbon-pricing/

[Daily activism ]
*Change the Chamber or QUIT the Chamber. I stand with the students from
across the country who demand that corporations leave the **@USChamber*
  over its decades of climate denial and obstruction. We need climate
action NOW.
https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1402992421697310728
- -
[Public Citizen]
*Student-Led Coalition Calls on Corporations to Quit U.S. Chamber Over
Climate Inaction*
WASHINGTON, D.C. ­­– Today, Change the Chamber, a coalition of over 100+
student groups from across the country, supported by over 25
organizations including Public Citizen, the League of Conservation
Voters (LCV) and the Sierra Club, sent a letter calling on corporations
to leave the U.S. Chamber of Commerce unless the nation’s largest
business lobbying group takes meaningful steps to end their climate
hypocrisy and cease their destructive pro-fossil fuel lobbying...
https://www.citizen.org/news/student-led-coalition-calls-on-corporations-to-quit-u-s-chamber-over-climate-inaction/

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming June  15, 2010*
In an address from the Oval Office, President Obama declares:

    "For decades, we have known the days of cheap and easily accessible
    oil were numbered.  For decades, we’ve talked and talked about the
    need to end America’s century-long addiction to fossil fuels.  And
    for decades, we have failed to act with the sense of urgency that
    this challenge requires.  Time and again, the path forward has been
    blocked -- not only by oil industry lobbyists, but also by a lack of
    political courage and candor.

    "The consequences of our inaction are now in plain sight. Countries
    like China are investing in clean energy jobs and industries that
    should be right here in America.  Each day, we send nearly $1
    billion of our wealth to foreign countries for their oil.  And
    today, as we look to the Gulf, we see an entire way of life being
    threatened by a menacing cloud of black crude.

    "We cannot consign our children to this future.  The tragedy
    unfolding on our coast is the most painful and powerful reminder yet
    that the time to embrace a clean energy future is now.  Now is the
    moment for this generation to embark on a national mission to
    unleash America’s innovation and seize control of our own destiny.

    "This is not some distant vision for America.  The transition away
    from fossil fuels is going to take some time, but over the last year
    and a half, we’ve already taken unprecedented action to jumpstart
    the clean energy industry.  As we speak, old factories are reopening
    to produce wind turbines, people are going back to work installing
    energy-efficient windows, and small businesses are making solar panels.

    "Consumers are buying more efficient cars and trucks, and families
    are making their homes more energy-efficient.  Scientists and
    researchers are discovering clean energy technologies that someday
    will lead to entire new industries.

    "Each of us has a part to play in a new future that will benefit all
    of us.  As we recover from this recession, the transition to clean
    energy has the potential to grow our economy and create millions of
    jobs -– but only if we accelerate that transition. Only if we seize
    the moment.  And only if we rally together and act as one nation –-
    workers and entrepreneurs; scientists and citizens; the public and
    private sectors.

    "When I was a candidate for this office, I laid out a set of
    principles that would move our country towards energy independence.
    Last year, the House of Representatives acted on these principles by
    passing a strong and comprehensive energy and climate bill –- a bill
    that finally makes clean energy the profitable kind of energy for
    America’s businesses.

    "Now, there are costs associated with this transition.  And there
    are some who believe that we can’t afford those costs right now. I
    say we can’t afford not to change how we produce and use energy -–
    because the long-term costs to our economy, our national security,
    and our environment are far greater.

    "So I’m happy to look at other ideas and approaches from either
    party -– as long they seriously tackle our addiction to fossil
    fuels.  Some have suggested raising efficiency standards in our
    buildings like we did in our cars and trucks.  Some believe we
    should set standards to ensure that more of our electricity comes
    from wind and solar power.  Others wonder why the energy industry
    only spends a fraction of what the high-tech industry does on
    research and development -– and want to rapidly boost our
    investments in such research and development.

    "All of these approaches have merit, and deserve a fair hearing in
    the months ahead.  But the one approach I will not accept is
    inaction.  The one answer I will not settle for is the idea that
    this challenge is somehow too big and too difficult to meet.  You
    know, the same thing was said about our ability to produce enough
    planes and tanks in World War II.  The same thing was said about our
    ability to harness the science and technology to land a man safely
    on the surface of the moon.  And yet, time and again, we have
    refused to settle for the paltry limits of conventional wisdom.
    Instead, what has defined us as a nation since our founding is the
    capacity to shape our destiny -– our determination to fight for the
    America we want for our children.  Even if we’re unsure exactly what
    that looks like.  Even if we don’t yet know precisely how we’re
    going to get there.  We know we’ll get there."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJW4_FvVKo

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/us/politics/16obama.html?pagewanted=all

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry