[TheClimate.Vote] March 29, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Mar 29 11:06:02 EDT 2021

/*March 29, 2021*/

[DW news analysis - video 26 min]
*Polar power play: Who will win the race for the Arctic's riches? | To
the Point*
Mar 19, 2021
DW News
Who does the Arctic belong to? The vast region was long seen as little
more than snow and ice.
But now three world powers – Russia, China and the United States – are
leading the charge to take control of the immense natural resources and
new trade routes that are opening up, even as a potential climate
catastrophe takes hold. So, on To the Point, we ask: "Who will win the
race for the Arctic's riches?"
Guests this week are Michael Paul (security expert), Stefan Rahmstorf
(climatologist), Irina Filatova (DW's Russian desk)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvK6IstZs8M

[Washington Post ]
*Opinion: Global warming is endangering more than we think. We must adjust.*
March 26, 2021

THE WORLD’S climate depends on a global aquatic “conveyor belt” system
that snakes around the oceans, taking heat from some places and
redistributing it elsewhere. It is this system that keeps Europe
relatively warm despite its northern latitudes, underpins major
fisheries and drives key weather patterns across continents.

Global warming may be endangering this crucial circulation. Scientists
are accumulating evidence that climate change is disrupting a major
section of the conveyor belt, running from the tropics up to the North
Atlantic and back south, slowing this piece of the system to its weakest
pace in more than 1,000 years, according to a study published in the
journal Nature Geoscience. By changing the atmosphere’s chemistry at a
breakneck pace, humanity is conducting a massive, unprecedented
experiment on finely tuned planetary systems, with consequences that
range from predictable to speculative, and what experts know about Earth
history offers little comfort for what awaits.

A group of scientists from Britain, Germany and Ireland studying the
Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation — that is, the circulation
pattern that warms the North Atlantic — have sought to compare how it is
behaving now with its recent past. Experts only began directly measuring
the pattern in 2004, so they looked for clues in seafloor sediments and
ocean temperature patterns, which suggested how the currents behaved
before. The clues present a consistent picture: The circulation has
weakened in a way that is unprecedented in the past 1,000 years, said
Niamh Cahill, a statistician from Ireland’s Maynooth University.

The scientists believe the ultimate cause is global warming. The
circulation occurs because warm tropical water cools and becomes saltier
as it travels north, which makes it denser. This dense water eventually
sinks to the bottom of the ocean, then travels south, where it is once
again heated in another part of the cycle. Higher rainfall, lower
amounts of sea ice and ice melting on the Greenland ice sheet are adding
far more fresh water than usual to the system, making the water up north
less salty and, thus, less dense and less prone to sink, undermining the
circulation. This may account for a giant stretch of unusually cold
water that has stubbornly persisted near Greenland and for unusually
high water temperatures on the U.S. East Coast.

The study’s authors warn that climate change may further destabilize the
Atlantic circulation over coming decades. The consequences are hard to
predict with precision, in part because warming air might offset some of
the cooling associated with slower circulation. But previous research
suggests that the last time the circulation was severely destabilized,
some 12,000 years ago, Europe was slammed with bitter winters and,
because of how the circulation interacts with air, severe summer heat
and droughts.

Climate change is not some isolated change in the air temperature. It
encompasses sea-level rise, heavy storms, heat waves, droughts,
wildfires, acidifying oceans and disruptions in the sensitive planetary
rhythms on which human society developed. Scientists know some things
for sure — the planet will warm because of greenhouse gas emissions,
with a variety of negative results. But they have not catalogued all the
consequences. Some are only just coming clearly into view, and some
remain obscure. The longer we humans fail to adjust our behavior, the
worse the consequences are likely to be.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-warming-is-endangering-more-than-we-think-we-must-adjust/2021/03/26/1a963fc0-77cc-11eb-8115-9ad5e9c02117_story.html

[serious statement ]
*What Is Climate Feminism?*
Natural Resources Defense Council - Mar. 27, 2021
By Nicole Greenfield

The climate crisis disproportionately impacts women—and women of color
in particular. This is why women must lead on its solutions.

Last fall, two powerful hurricanes, Eta and Iota, slammed into Central
America within two weeks of each other, causing massive flooding and
landslides and affecting millions of people, primarily in Honduras and
Nicaragua. Thousands were uprooted from their homes, and women, many
with children in tow, suffered the greatest. The events followed a
disturbing but familiar trend: The United Nations estimates that 80
percent of people displaced by climate change are women. And it's not
just storms that affect them; researchers in India have found that
droughts, too, hit women the hardest, rendering them more vulnerable
than men to income loss, food insecurity, water scarcity, and related
health complications.

"The climate crisis is not gender neutral," says Katharine K. Wilkinson,
coeditor of the anthology All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and Solutions
for the Climate Crisis, a book of essays and poems written entirely by
women contributors. "It grows out of a patriarchal system that is also
entangled with racism and white supremacy and extractive capitalism. And
the unequal impacts of climate change are making it harder to achieve a
gender-equal world."

In the face of this reality, the world needs to embrace a feminist
approach to tackling the climate crisis, she adds. That includes a
collective mission to shift who is leading the way on solutions to the
crisis, and what the approach will be.

*A Multiplier of Injustice*
"The intersections of climate and justice and feminism include the
disproportionate impact of climate change and the entire climate
continuum on women," says Jacqueline Patterson, director of the NAACP
Environmental and Climate Justice Program. "We also add the race lens,
of course, and the additional risks that are unique to BIPOC women and,
most specifically, Black women."

Climate change developed in an unjust world, and now it's exacerbating
the vulnerabilities and inequalities experienced by women, particularly
those who live in rural areas or the Global South and those who are
Black, Indigenous, or other people of color. Patterson reflects on this
injustice in the essay "At the Intersections," which appears in the All
We Can Save collection. She opens with an anecdote about the first time
she saw racism, misogyny, and poverty collide with environmental issues
as a Peace Corps volunteer in her father's homeland of Jamaica. Later in
her career, as a human rights activist working internationally to combat
HIV/AIDS and gender injustice, Patterson learned the story of a woman
who left her native Cameroon because the crops in her community had
dried up, only to become a victim of rape and then to contract HIV at
the country's border. "These stories drew my tears," she writes. "There
is a pandemic of devastating impacts at the intersection between
violence against women and climate change."

These days in her environmental justice work with the NAACP, Patterson
is committed to ensuring that communities in "grindingly desperate
circumstances, communities that aren't even thought about," like those
without running water or electricity, for example, aren't left out of
the climate conversation. And that means not just including them, but
deliberately prioritizing them and ensuring their voices are heard on
all levels. She asks, "How do we make sure we don't continue with the
ills of the past in terms of assuming the rising tide will lift all boats?"

*“A Feminist Climate Renaissance”*
According to Wilkinson, these injustices of the climate crisis also
highlight a leadership crisis. What we truly need, she and All We Can
Save coeditor Ayana Elizabeth Johnson, a marine biologist, write, is a
"feminist climate renaissance." Without this, a just and liveable future
becomes impossible. "Research shows that women's leadership and equal
participation result in better outcomes for climate policy, reducing
emissions, and protecting land," Wilkinson adds.

Indeed, many of today's most influential climate leaders are women. On
the international stage, Christiana Figueres, as the head of the United
Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, was the architect of the
historic 2015 Paris Climate Agreement, which in its preamble called out
the need to empower women in climate decision making. Celebrities like
Jane Fonda have brought attention to the climate crisis through civil
disobedience and Fire Drill Fridays—inspired, of course, by the activism
of Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg and the powerful Fridays for Future
movement she began. Female government officials are likewise leading on
climate. New Zealand's prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, recently declared
a climate change emergency and committed her country to going
carbon-neutral by 2025. Meanwhile in the United States, representative
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was the visionary behind the Green New Deal, a
plan for the country to move away from fossil fuels and toward a
clean-energy future. And over the past few years, groups like the
Sunrise Movement, led by Varshini Prakash, have done critical work
inserting the climate crisis into American public discourse.

Wilkinson and Johnson see four main characteristics shared by leaders
like these. First and foremost, they prioritize making change over being
in charge. "We need to get over ego, competition, and control—all that
patriarchal, supremacist, hierarchical stuff that gets in the way, burns
a lot of energy, and keeps us from collaborating," Wilkinson says.

Feminist climate leaders also tend to have a deep commitment to justice
and equality. Having emotional intelligence is necessary, too. "This is
the biggest challenge humanity has ever grappled with, and we're not
going to solve it from our prefrontal cortex alone," Wilkinson declares.
"We need to come to this as whole human beings. And that means the
grief, the uncertainty, the rage, the anxiety, but also the really
ferocious love."

Last, feminist climate leaders recognize that building community is a
prerequisite for building a better world. Community holds incredible
wisdom, while "individualism comes up short on good ideas, and certainly
on a sense of purpose and joy," Wilkinson says. Nurturing that sense of
community in the broad climate movement is often a first step,
especially when uniting allies from disparate groups. As Gulf Coast
Center for Law & Policy founder Colette Pichon Battle advises, before
diverse groups of women can stand on the front lines together, they must
heal the relationships and reconcile the unjust social dynamics that
exist between their various communities.

The good news is that women are uniquely prepared to take on this social
and environmental healing work. "Women have had to develop a coping and
a nurturing set of skills in order to see the survival of our families,"
Patterson says, adding that caring for a family under the most dire of
circumstances has been bred into the DNA of Black women, who carry the
trauma of slavery. "Women have just had to," she says.

For her part, Wilkinson says that she sees evidence of the growth and
power of the feminist climate ecosystem every time she turns around.
Leaders in the youth climate justice movement embody these
characteristics, and increasing numbers of women are getting a seat at
the national table (including former NRDC president Gina McCarthy,
another All We Can Save contributor, who is now steering domestic
climate policy from the White House). "There are lots of signs that this
galloping herd is getting bigger and faster and stronger. And that gives
me a lot of courage," Wilkinson says.

*Power and Joy*
For their nonprofit All We Can Save Project, Wilkinson and Johnson have
developed a 2030 vision for women leading on climate to hold the power
to create transformational change and experience deep joy in their work.
Their community-minded approach to solving the climate crisis
prioritizes the collective lifting of one another's spirits and helps
build momentum—both of which serve as an antidote to the gloom that can
sometimes consume the lone climate warrior. "We're really into this idea
of power and joy," Wilkinson explains. "Power is what you need to make
change happen. And joy is frankly what you need to keep showing up every
day."

With climate feminists at the helm, more resources and investments could
be procured for the transformational climate work that cisgender and
trans women and nonbinary leaders are already doing—developing
solutions, researching and writing, doing community organizing—often at
night or on the weekends. These leaders and their teams can also serve
as examples and mentors for emerging climate feminists of all genders
and ages.

And of course, men can be climate feminists too. "There's a really
important role for men, and I think it starts with listening," Wilkinson
says. "And when we consider core approaches to climate leadership,
things like compassion, connection, creativity, collaboration, care, a
commitment to justice, all of that is open to people of any gender." She
notes that men in positions of power—whether they control funding or
platforms or lead an institution—can be more intentional in helping to
change the face of climate leadership. They can extend invitations to
more women and to others from diverse backgrounds to bring forth ideas
and lead projects, or they can step back and let others make decisions
and set the vision.

Such collaborative work is increasingly urgent. "Even now, at the 11th
hour for climate action, so many people in power are denying, blocking,
and delaying, or putting forward hollow promises about what they're
going to do," says Wilkinson. "It's absolutely devastating. But I do
think the tide is turning. I think we will win."

She adds that Ireland's former and first female president Mary Robinson
sums up the situation perfectly with the tagline to her Mothers of
Invention podcast: "Climate change is a man-made problem—with a feminist
solution!"
https://www.nrdc.org/stories/what-climate-feminism

[Uh oh... could that be so?]
*Climate Anxiety Is an Overwhelmingly White Phenomenon*
Is it really just code for white people wishing to hold onto their way
of life or to get “back to normal?”
By Sarah Jaquette Ray on March 21, 2021
People of color are disproportionately harmed by climate change, but
whites disproportionately fret publicly about it...
The climate movement is ascendant, and it has become common to see
climate change as a social justice issue. Climate change and its
effects—pandemics, pollution, natural disasters—are not universally or
uniformly felt: the people and communities suffering most are
disproportionately Black, Indigenous and people of color. It is no
surprise then that U.S. surveys show that these are the communities most
concerned about climate change.

One year ago, I published a book called A Field Guide to Climate
Anxiety. Since its publication, I have been struck by the fact that
those responding to the concept of climate anxiety are overwhelmingly
white. Indeed, these climate anxiety circles are even whiter than the
environmental circles I’ve been in for decades. Today, a year into the
pandemic, after the murder of George Floyd and the protests that
followed, and the attack on the U.S. Capitol, I am deeply concerned
about the racial implications of climate anxiety. If people of color are
more concerned about climate change than white people, why is the
interest in climate anxiety so white? Is climate anxiety a form of white
fragility or even racial anxiety? Put another way, is climate anxiety
just code for white people wishing to hold onto their way of life or get
“back to normal,” to the comforts of their privilege?

The white response to climate change is literally suffocating to people
of color. Climate anxiety can operate like white fragility, sucking up
all the oxygen in the room and devoting resources toward appeasing the
dominant group. As climate refugees are framed as a climate security
threat, will the climate-anxious recognize their role in displacing
people from around the globe? Will they be able to see their own fates
tied to the fates of the dispossessed? Or will they hoard resources,
limit the rights of the most affected and seek to save only their own,
deluded that this xenophobic strategy will save them? How can we make
sure that climate anxiety is harnessed for climate justice?
My book has connected me to a growing community focused on the emotional
dimensions of climate change. As writer Britt Wray puts it, emotions
like mourning, anger, dread and anxiety are “merely a sign of our
attachment to the world.” Paradoxically, though, anxiety about
environmental crisis can create apathy, inaction and burnout. Anxiety
may be a rational response to the world that climate models predict, but
it is unsustainable.
And climate panic can be as dangerous as it is galvanizing. Dealing with
feelings of climate anxiety will require the existential tools I
provided in A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety, but it will also require
careful attention to extremism and climate zealotry. We can’t fight
climate change with more racism. Climate anxiety must be directed toward
addressing the ways that racism manifests as environmental trauma and
vice versa—how environmentalism manifests as racialized violence. We
need to channel grief toward collective liberation.

The prospect of an unlivable future has always shaped the emotional
terrain for Black and brown people, whether that terrain is racism or
climate change. Climate change compounds existing structures of
injustice, and those structures exacerbate climate change. Exhaustion,
anger, hope—the effects of oppression and resistance are not unique to
this climate moment. What is unique is that people who had been
insulated from oppression are now waking up to the prospect of their own
unlivable future.

It is a surprisingly short step from “chronic fear of environmental
doom,” as the American Psychological Association defines ecoanxiety, to
xenophobia and fascism. Racism is not an accidental byproduct of
environmentalism; it has been a constant reference point. As I wrote
about in my first book, The Ecological Other, early environmentalists in
the U.S. were anti-immigrant eugenicists whose ideas were later adopted
by Nazis to implement their “blood and soil” ideology. In a recent,
dramatic example, the gunman of the 2019 El Paso shooting was motivated
by despair about the ecological fate of the planet: “My whole life I
have been preparing for a future that currently doesn’t exist.” Intense
emotions mobilize people, but not always for the good of all life on
this planet.

Today’s progressives espouse climate change as the “greatest existential
threat of our time,” a claim that ignores people who have been
experiencing existential threats for much longer. Slavery, colonialism,
ongoing police brutality—we can’t neglect history to save the future.

*RESILIENCE AND RELATION AS RESISTANCE*
I recently gave a college lecture about climate anxiety. One of the
students e-mailed me to say she was so distressed that she’d be willing
to submit to a green dictator if they would address climate change.
Young people know the stakes, but they are not learning how to cope with
the intensity of their dread. It would be tragic and dangerous if this
generation of climate advocates becomes willing to sacrifice democracy
and human rights in the name of climate change.

Oppressed and marginalized people have developed traditions of
resilience out of necessity. Black, feminist and Indigenous leaders have
painstakingly cultivated resilience over the long arc of the fight for
justice. They know that protecting joy and hope is the ultimate
resistance to domination. Persistence is nonnegotiable when your mental,
physical and reproductive health are on the line.
Instead of asking “What can I do to stop feeling so anxious?”, “What can
I do to save the planet?” and “What hope is there?”, people with
privilege can be asking “Who am I?” and “How am I connected to all of
this?” The answers reveal that we are deeply interconnected with the
well-being of others on this planet, and that there are traditions of
environmental stewardship that can be guides for where we need to go
from here.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unbearable-whiteness-of-climate-anxiety/

- -

[the book]
*A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety: How to Keep Your Cool on a Warming
Planet *
by Sarah Jaquette Ray  (Author) published April 21, 2020

    Gen Z's first "existential toolkit" for combating eco-guilt and
    burnout while advocating for climate justice.
    A youth movement is reenergizing global environmental activism. The
    “climate generation”—late millennials and iGen, or Generation Z—is
    demanding that policy makers and government leaders take immediate
    action to address the dire outcomes predicted by climate science.
    Those inheriting our planet’s environmental problems expect to
    encounter challenges, but they may not have the skills to grapple
    with the feelings of powerlessness and despair that may arise when
    they confront this seemingly intractable situation.

    Drawing on a decade of experience leading and teaching in college
    environmental studies programs, Sarah Jaquette Ray has created an
    “existential tool kit” for the climate generation. Combining
    insights from psychology, sociology, social movements, mindfulness,
    and the environmental humanities, Ray explains why and how we need
    to let go of eco-guilt, resist burnout, and cultivate resilience
    while advocating for climate justice. A Field Guide to Climate
    Anxiety is the essential guidebook for the climate generation—and
    perhaps the rest of us—as we confront the greatest environmental
    threat of our time.

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Climate-Anxiety-Warming/dp/0520343301/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

[Arctic travelers watch out]
*As the Arctic warms, lightning strikes are more frequent -- even near
the North Pole*
By Allison Chinchar and Haley Brink, CNN Meteorologists
March 28, 2021
(CNN)The Arctic is not usually a hotbed for lightning -- the air is
simply not warm enough for thunderstorms to usually occur. But as the
Arctic warms at an alarming rate, that lightning frequency is changing
as well.

In fact, Arctic lightning has tripled in just the last decade, according
to a new study, published this week in the Geophysical Research Letters.
The University of Washington study used data collected by its network of
lightning sensors, called the World Wide Lightning Location Network
(WWLLN), which has been tracking lightning strokes globally since 2004.
The data showed that above 65 degrees latitude the number of lightning
strikes has increased significantly from 2010 to 2020...
While the study focused on areas inside the Arctic Circle -- northern
portions of Canada, Alaska, Russia, Greenland and the central Arctic
Ocean -- not all of those areas had equal results.
Lightning induced wildfires
In the Arctic Circle there was an even greater increase in lightning
strikes in the Eastern Hemisphere, specifically over Siberia.
This is likely because lightning is more likely to occur over ice-free
land than over oceans or over large ice sheets such as Greenland or even
Antarctica, explains Robert H. Holzworth, one of the authors of the
research letter and a professor of Earth and Space Sciences at the
University of Washington.
"Thunderstorms occur when there is differential surface heating, so an
updraft-downdraft convection can occur," Holzworth says. "You need a
warm moist updraft to get a thunderstorm started, and that is more
likely to occur over ice free land than land covered with ice."
This is concerning because an area in northern Russia has also seen an
uptick in wildfires in recent years. However, just because the lightning
count has increased doesn't mean it will always trigger lightning
induced wildfires.
Both northern Siberia and Canada are covered in a thick forest of trees,
which are highly flammable. So the ingredients are already in place to
induce lightning-triggered wildfires. However just because the lightning
in the area has increased threefold does not mean that wildfires have
increased at this same rate.
Conversely, there are also indirect impacts from the wildfires to
consider. Wildfires emit carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that
warm the planet.
"In Arctic and boreal forest ecosystems, fires burn organic carbon
stored in the soils and hasten the melting of permafrost, which release
methane, another greenhouse gas, when thawed," according to NASA.
Additionally, wildfire smoke can travel hundreds of miles in the
atmosphere. It contains a number of pollutants including carbon
monoxide, nitrogen oxides, volatile organic compounds, and solid aerosol
particles. So the potential for hazardous conditions is not just for
local populations but also for those further away.
A warming climate likely to blame
The Arctic has been warming more than twice as fast as the rest of the
planet. This warming in the Arctic tundra has led to more thunderstorm
development which has produced more electrical discharge -- lightning.
- -
data displays -
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/210325181740-arctic-lightning-increase-bar-chart-uw-exlarge-169.jpg
https://ix.cnn.io/dailygraphics/graphics/20210326-arctic-lightning/static/media/ai2html-graphic-desktop.4339d65a.jpg
- -
"The tundra in Siberia is melting, with mastodon tusks appearing, etc.,
and this is indicative of the warming ground, giving new opportunities
for differential heating to show up, and thunderstorms to grow over the
Eastern Hemisphere Arctic more so than the Western Arctic," Holzworth said.
In August 2019, there was one particularly unique event in which nearly
30 strikes were registered less than about 60 miles from the North Pole.
This was a "major convective event" and it was unique to have lightning
that close to the North Pole, according to the study.
The image above shows that the fraction of global lightning has
increased by more than a factor of three during the summer. It
demonstrates the strong similarity between the fraction of strikes and
the three month average global summer temperature anomaly. So while
global temperatures may not be the entire cause for the increased
lightning strike count, there is certainly a connection.
It is important to note that during the 11-year period studied there was
also an increase in the number of WWLLN data stations. While this would
naturally cause an increase in the number of strikes observed, this
alone could not fully explain the substantial increase in lightning
strikes across the Arctic.
Zamira Rahim contributed to this story
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/28/weather/weather-lightning-arctic-climate/index.html

[Beckwith video lecture]
*Climate System Tipping Point Sequence: Amazon Rainforest Collapse a
Decent First Place Bet: 3 of 3*
Mar 28, 2021
Paul Beckwith
Please donate to http://paulbeckwith.net​ to support my research and
videos as I join the scientific dots on abrupt climate system change.

In my last few videos I chatted about how our terrestrial biosphere sink
is failing. Presently, land vegetation absorbs about 30% of
anthropogenic carbon emissions, but with BAU (Business-as-Usual) this
number is expected to halve by 2040. The terrestrial biosphere will tip
over from a net carbon sink to a net carbon source. CO2 concentrations
in the atmosphere will skyrocket as we head there within a mere two
decades. The reason is that further warming increases plant respiration
while decreasing plant photosynthesis. Sources dominate sinks.

Of course the Amazon Rainforest is the largest swath of tropical
rainforest on the planet. This forest drives a partially self-sustaining
regional climate and hydrological system, whereby falling rainwater is
taken up by rainforest, a lot of the water is put back into the
atmosphere by evapotranspiration, and the cycle repeats over and over
again. Thus, water is distributed over the entire rainforest, but if the
cycle is cut off at the start then the entire rainforest can suffer
severe drought. Thus, with slightly more warming from climate system
change, we are at great risk of the sudden complete collapse of the
entire rainforest.

In this video series (3 parts) I focus on the Amazon Rainforest. I chat
about a new scientific review paper called “Carbon and Beyond: The
Biogeochemistry of Climate in a Rapidly Changing Amazon”. Most
discussions of the Amazon Rainforest focus solely on carbon cycles and
storage. This is incomplete; they need to consider the overall Amazon
system, and also examine CH4, N2O, black carbon, biogenic volatile
organic compounds, aerosols, evapotranspiration, and albedo changes. The
dynamic responses of all of the above to localized stresses (fires,
land-use changes, extreme weather events) and to global stresses
(warming, drying, El Niño Southern Oscillation) must be examined to get
a more complete understanding of the Amazon System.

When the overall system is studied, it becomes quite clear that the CH4
and N2O changes are large enough to offset, and even actually exceed the
carbon sink of the Amazon Rainforest. This is actually terrible news for
the vitality of our planetary ecosystems and human societies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZZnrEdTdI

*On this day in the history of global warming - March 29, 2009 *

December 29, 2009: Washington Post writer Ezra Klein excoriates members
of the US Senate who have developed cold feet about addressing global
warming:

    "Amidst all this, conservative Senate Democrats are waving off the
    idea of serious action in 2010. But not because they're opposed. Oh,
    heavens no! It's because of abstract concerns over the political
    difficulties the problem presents. Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), for
    instance, avers that 'climate change in an election year has very
    poor prospects.' That's undoubtedly true, though it is odd to say
    that the American system of governance can only solve problems every
    other year. Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) says that 'we need to deal with
    the phenomena of global warming,' but wants to wait until the
    economy is fixed.

    "Rather than commenting abstractly on the difficulty of doing this,
    Conrad and Bayh and others could make it easier by saying things
    like 'we simply have to do this, it's our moral obligation as
    legislators,' and trying to persuade reporters to write stories
    about how even moderates such as Conrad and Byah are determined to
    do this. They could schedule meetings with other senators begging
    them to take this seriously, leveraging the credibility and goodwill
    built over decades in the Senate. They could spend money on TV ads
    in their state, talking directly into the camera, explaining to
    their constituents that they don't like having to face this problem,
    but see no choice. That effort might fail -- probably will, in fact
    -- but it's got a better chance of success than not trying. And this
    is, well, pretty important."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2009/12/climate_change_is_bad_but_the.html

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.