[TheClimate.Vote] March 31, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Mar 31 11:00:45 EDT 2021

/*March 31, 2021*/

[JD Supra - and thanks KL]
*Massachusetts Climate Legislation Becomes Law - The Future of Everything*
"I want to emphasize that this is a really far-reaching piece of
legislation.  It commits Massachusetts to a very aggressive timetable
for reducing GHG emissions.  It species a number of specific policies,
including a massive increase in the procurement of offshore wind (just
to highlight one example) to get there, and it truly integrates
environmental justice into the fabric of the Commonwealth’s climate
efforts – and its environmental protection programs more generally."
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/massachusetts-climate-legislation-4116735/

- -

[Republican Governor passes ambitious climate bill]
*Governor Baker Signs Climate Legislation*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXiGHe-WGc

- -

[WBURradio report]
*Consider This Boston: New Massachusetts Climate Legislation To Reduce
Greenhouse Gas Emissions*
March 29, 2021
Governor Charlie Baker has signed a massive new climate change bill into
law. It’s the most significant change to climate policy in the
Commonwealth since 2008.
https://www.wbur.org/considerthis/2021/03/29/massachusetts-climate-legislation-reduce-greenhouse-gas-emissions

[Yale research shows changes]
*Understanding the Health Harms of Climate Change: A Six Americas Analysis*
By Connie Roser-Renouf, Edward Maibach, Anthony Leiserowitz, Seth
Rosenthal and John Kotcher
Through our research on Americans’ beliefs and attitudes about climate
change, we have identified six distinct audiences, ranging on a spectrum
from the Alarmed, who understand the threat of climate change and are
very worried about it, to the Dismissive, who do not think climate
change is real and are likely to believe it is a hoax.

*Between 2014 and 2020, the proportion of the U.S. population that is
Alarmed about climate change more than doubled. *In April, 2020, over
half of all American adults were in one of the two most worried
segments, the Alarmed (26%) and Concerned (28%).
[see the chart of 6 Americas -
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/health-harms-six-americas-2014-2020__1.png
]
This growing concern about climate change has been accompanied by an
increasing understanding that climate change harms humans.

In 2014, we asked questions about ten different health harms associated
with global warming, and found that few Americans – even among the
Alarmed and Concerned segments – understood the impacts of climate
change on human health (Roser-Renouf et al., 2015). In 2020, we asked
those questions again, and the changes were striking: there were large
increases in Americans’ recognition of the health harms caused by
climate change (Kotcher et al., 2020). For example, in 2014, 34% of
Americans expected increases in bodily harm due to severe storms and
hurricanes over the coming decade; in 2020, the proportion was 57% – an
increase of 23 percentage points. Substantial increases were also found
in public risk perceptions of the health consequences of many other
climate change impacts.
[ graph
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/health-harms-six-americas-2014-2020__2.png]
To assess which Americans are growing more aware of climate change
health threats, we looked at the changes within each of the Six
Americas. The Alarmed and Concerned became more aware of these health
harms, but so too did the Cautious and Disengaged – two audience
segments that are not highly engaged with the issue. Only the Doubtful
and Dismissive – segments that are skeptical of the reality and threat
of climate change – showed little or no change.

For example, the proportion of the Alarmed who expect injuries from
severe storms and hurricanes to increase over the coming decade grew by
27 percentage points between 2014 and 2020, from 62% to 89%. Among the
Concerned, the increase was 17 points, among the Cautious, 20 points,
and among the Disengaged 28 points....
- -
[increased concern
http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/health-harms-six-americas-2014-2020__3.png
]
[Wildfire perception -
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/health-harms-six-americas-2014-2020__4.png
]
Overall, risk perceptions about health harms from global warming
increased over a six-year time period among members of all but the two
most skeptical segments of the population. It is perhaps surprising that
the two segments distinguished by their low concern about the issue –
the Cautious and Disengaged – both increasingly understand the health
harms global warming causes to humans, although their overall engagement
with the issue – as evidenced by their segment membership – has remained
low. It is possible that this growing awareness of health harm is a
leading indicator, with deeper issue engagement to follow.
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/understanding-the-health-harms-of-climate-change-a-six-americas-analysis/

[some climate science - notice the water vapor and clouds]
*How Water & Clouds affect Climate Change *| feat @Simon Clark​
Mar 30, 2021
ClimateAdam
Water might seem like the perfect antidote to an overheated planet, but
water vapour boosts the changes we're creating. And clouds threaten to
double down on that effect. I'm joined by Simon Clark to break down how
water in our atmosphere serves as a 'feedback' to climate change -
something we need to get to grips with if we want to understand what
we're doing to our globe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903MxDKnBa8

- -

[more science in an easy video]
*Visualising the Future of Clouds on Earth (with @ClimateAdam​)*
Mar 30, 2021
Simon Clark
Learn the science of clouds and the programming of this visualisation
with Brilliant: https://www.brilliant.org/SimonClark​
Featuring the wonderful  @ClimateAdam​  - go check out their channel!
Their video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903Mx...​

This video talks about how clouds interact with climate - what happens
when we warm the planet, and will clouds act as a positive or a negative
feedback? It turns out that water in the Earth's atmosphere has a
complex relationship with the Earth's temperature, both in clouds and as
water vapour. To visualise this interaction, I made a 3D visualisation
in Blender, reading in climate model output via Python.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XZUSiTFio&t=0s

[2014 classic TED lecture from Gavin Schmidt · Climate scientist]
*What goes into a climate model? Gavin Schmidt looks at how we use past
and present data to model potential futures.*
You can't understand climate change in pieces, says climate scientist
Gavin Schmidt. It's the whole, or it's nothing. In this illuminating
talk, he explains how he studies the big picture of climate change with
mesmerizing models that illustrate the endlessly complex interactions of
small-scale environmental events.

This talk was presented at an official TED conference, and was featured
by our editors on the home page.
https://www.ted.com/talks/gavin_schmidt_the_emergent_patterns_of_climate_change?language=en#t-210087

[revising food for thought]
*Rethinking Food and Agriculture - Episode 26: Vegan World 2026! - The
Moonshot of Our Generation*
March 30, 2021
Sailesh Rao
In this episode, we are joined by Laila Kassam, who co-edited and
co-authored the book, “Rethinking Food and Agriculture,” a tour-de-force
on the food systems of our past, present and future. We will explore the
key historical and philosophical roots of our current food system and
why it is the leading cause of the biological annihilation o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXiGHe-WGc

[radical talk with a religious tone]
*American Psychosis - Chris Hedges on the US empire of narcissism and
psychopathy.*
Mar 29, 2021
UNM
Subscribe! American Psychosis - Chris Hedges on the US empire of
narcissism and psychopathy. Subscribe. Directed by Amanda Zackem
http://www.americancanary.org​ Short film by American Canary. UNM is
currently in production of the documentary, Ecosophia featuring Chris
Hedges, David Holmgren, Vandana Shiva, Prof. Tim Garrett, Prof. Paul
Ehrlich, Prof. William Ophuls and many others. To support the production
please consider renting or buying our new documentary, Spiritually
Incorrect only available on Films For Action
http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/s...​ an activist feature film of
the spiritual /political / environmental kind inspired by Thomas Berry -
"The environmental crisis in fundamentally a spiritual crisis".

It's obvious, logical, natural, even mathematical that our civilization
is going to collapse, that we have overshot the sustainable carrying
capacity of the earth and ecosystem that supports us. But people are fed
false hope, false positives and magical faiths which extract your agency
and distract you from your presence. Held captive by apathy, afraid of
your own shadow. PCD
American Psychosis - Chris Hedges on the US empire of narcissism and
psychopathy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythOLteROK0

- -

[changing life in anticipation of collapse]
*What Could Possibly Go Right?: Episode 33 Jem Bendell*
By Vicki Robin, Jem Bendell,
published by Resilience.org - March 30, 2021
Show Notes
Dr. Jem Bendell is the Founder of the Deep Adaptation Forum and a
Professor of Sustainability Leadership with the University of Cumbria.
He works as a researcher, educator and advisor on social and
organisational change, with over 25 years experience in sustainable
development initiatives in over 20 countries. In 2018, he authored the
viral Deep Adaptation paper, downloaded around a million times.

Jem addresses the question of “What Could Possibly Go Right?” with
thoughts including:
-- That “people are changing their lives because of their anticipation
of collapse, to relate more openly and wanting to do what’s right, come
what may.”
-- That “holding space for each other and our difficult emotions has led
to a new quality of engagement.”
-- That Deep Adaptation invites people into a different way of talking
about crisis response and emotions – fostering compassion, curiosity and
respect.
-- That sustainable development may be a delusion, but we can ready
ourselves for societal disruption to help others with our skills and
networks.
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2021-03-30/what-could-possibly-go-right-episode-33-jem-bendell/

[The internet news archive thanks today to Ross Gelbspan]
*On this day in the history of global warming - March 31, 2009 *

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips denialist Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL):

"But our winner, Congressman John Shimkus, Republican of Illinois, with
two fascinating and utterly contradictory statements.  A, Congressman
Shimkus on why there isn‘t global warming.  'Today we have about 388
parts per million of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere.  I think in the
age of the dinosaurs, when we had most flora and fauna, we were probably
at 4,000 parts per million. There‘s a theological debate that this is a
carbon-starved planet, not too much carbon.'

"Number one, Carbon and Carbon Dioxide are not the same thing. Number
two, the only theological debate over how much carbon the plan needs
would be taking place in the church of the Labrea Tar Pits.  Number
three, didn‘t the freaking dinosaurs go extinct?  Or do they just have a
bad public relations person?

"But I‘m digressing.  B, Congressman Shimkus on why it doesn‘t matter
anyway.  'The Earth will end only when God declares it‘s time to be
over.  A man will not destroy this Earth.  This Earth will not be
destroyed by a flood.  I appreciate having panelists here who are men of
faith, and we can get into the theological discourse of that position.
But I do believe that God‘s word is infallible, unchanging, perfect.'

"So a man pressing a button to start a nuclear war, that would be God‘s
infallible word?  Why do we bother trying to govern?  Can‘t he do
something about the budget deficit?  By the way, as you hit me over the
head with your Bible, Congressman, there ain‘t a word in it about those
dinosaurs you mentioned earlier.

"Congressman John Shimkus of Illinois, today‘s worst person in the world!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf75v2k3EE

• MSNBC's Rachel Maddow also mocks Shimkus during her "GOP in Exile"
segment:

"While the Republican Party continues its search for mean in the
minority, one Republican congressman, John Shimkus of Illinois, maybe
should stop searching.  Just sit down, Congressman and take a breather,
honestly.  Check this out:

"REP. JOHN SHIMKUS (R-IL):  Today, we have about 388 parts per million
in the atmosphere.  I think in the age of dinosaurs, where we had more
flora and fauna, we were probably at 4,000 parts per million.  There is
a theological debate that this is a carbon starved planet, not too much
carbon.

"MADDOW:  In other words, we shouldn‘t bother trying to reduce the
amount of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere because the dinosaurs did
just fine with the tons of carbon that God gave them for their
atmosphere.  Also, the dodo bird ate plenty of cholesterol.  And the
saber tooth tiger never, ever flossed.  Stop worrying, people."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9z-QkeO-E

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.