[✔️] May 10, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon May 10 09:12:22 EDT 2021

/*May 10, 2021*/

[Looking for confirmation]
*US invokes emergency powers after cyberattack shuts crucial fuel pipeline
*Biden administration in ‘all-hands-on-deck’ effort to avoid shortages
after Colonial Pipeline targeted in worst-ever attack on US infrastructure

The Biden administration has invoked emergency powers as part of an
“all-hands-on-deck” effort to avoid fuel shortages after the worst-ever
cyber-attack on US infrastructure shut down a crucial pipeline supplying
the east coast.

The federal transport department issued an emergency declaration on
Sunday to relax regulations for drivers carrying gasoline, diesel, jet
fuel and other refined petroleum products in 17 states and the District
of Columbia. It lets them work extra or more flexible hours to make up
for any fuel shortage related to the pipeline outage.

Experts said on Sunday that gasoline prices were unlikely to be affected
if the pipeline was back to normal in the next few days but that the
incident should serve as a wake-up call to companies about the
vulnerabilities they face.

The pipeline, operated by Georgia-based Colonial Pipeline, carries
gasoline and other fuel from Texas to the north-east. It delivers
roughly 45% of fuel consumed on the east coast, according to the company.

It was hit by what Colonial called a ransomware attack, in which hackers
typically lock up computer systems by encrypting data, paralysing
networks, and then demand a large ransom to unscramble it.

On Sunday, Colonial Pipeline said it was actively in the process of
restoring some of its IT systems. It said it remains in contact with law
enforcement and other federal agencies, including the energy department,
which is leading the federal government response.

The company has not said what was demanded or who made the demand.

However, two people close to the investigation, speaking on condition of
anonymity, identified the culprit as DarkSide. It is among ransomware
gangs that have “professionalised” a criminal industry that has cost
western nations tens of billions of dollars in losses in the past three
years.

DarkSide claims that it does not attack hospitals and nursing homes,
educational or government targets and that it donates a portion of its
take to charity. It has been active since August and, typical of the
most potent ransomware gangs, is known to avoid targeting organisations
in former Soviet bloc nations.

Colonial did not say whether it has paid or was negotiating a ransom,
and DarkSide did not announce the attack on its dark website. The lack
of acknowledgment usually indicates a victim is either negotiating or
has paid.

On Sunday, Colonial Pipeline said it was developing a “system restart”
plan. It said its main pipeline remains offline but some smaller lines
are now operational.

“We are in the process of restoring service to other laterals and will
bring our full system back online only when we believe it is safe to do
so, and in full compliance with the approval of all federal
regulations,” the company said in a statement.

Colonial transports gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and home heating oil from
refineries on the Gulf coast through pipelines running from Texas to New
Jersey. Its pipeline system spans more than 5,500 miles (8,850km),
transporting more than 100m gallons (380m litres) a day.

Debnil Chowdhury at the research firm IHSMarkit said that if the outage
stretched to one to three weeks, gas prices could begin to rise.

“I wouldn’t be surprised, if this ends up being an outage of that
magnitude, if we see 15- to 20-cent rise in gas prices over next week or
two,” he said.

Gina Raimondo, commerce secretary, said on Sunday that ransomware
attacks were “what businesses now have to worry about,” and that she
would work “very vigorously” with homeland security officials to address
the problem, calling it a top priority for the administration.

“Unfortunately, these sorts of attacks are becoming more frequent,” she
said on CBS’ Face the Nation. “We have to work in partnership with
business to secure networks to defend ourselves against these attacks.”

She said president Joe Biden was briefed on the attack.

“It’s an all-hands-on-deck effort right now,” Raimondo said. “And we are
working closely with the company, state and local officials to make sure
that they get back up to normal operations as quickly as possible and
there aren’t disruptions in supply.”

One of the people close to the Colonial investigation said that the
attackers also stole data from the company. Sometimes stolen data is
more valuable to ransomware criminals than the leverage they gain by
crippling a network, because some victims are loath to see sensitive
information of theirs dumped online.

Ed Amoroso, boss of security firm TAG Cyber, said Colonial was lucky its
attacker was at least ostensibly motivated only by profit, not
geopolitics. State-backed hackers bent on more serious destruction use
the same intrusion methods as ransomware gangs.

“For companies vulnerable to ransomware, it’s a bad sign because they
are probably more vulnerable to more serious attacks,” he said. Russian
cyberwarriors, for example, crippled the electrical grid in Ukraine
during the winters of 2015 and 2016.

In the US, attacks have forced delays in cancer treatment at hospitals,
interrupted schooling and paralysed police and city governments. Tulsa
this week became the 32nd state or local government in the U.S. to come
under ransomware attack, said Brett Callow, a threat analyst with the
cybersecurity firm Emsisoft.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/10/us-invokes-emergency-powers-after-cyberattack-shuts-crucial-fuel-pipeline

[new guidance]
*Humans already have the tools to combat climate change but we lack
leadership*
In this extract, top atmospheric scientist Dave Lowe explains why
despite political inaction he believes we can build a sustainable future
Dave Lowe  9 May 2021

When it comes to the political will and leadership needed to drive the
world towards a sustainable future, I’m a pessimist. Time and time
again, I’ve heard rhetoric from politicians focusing on short-term goals
at the expense of planning for the future. In 2021, the mainstream media
promote responsible journalism and take a hard line with climate
deniers. Many journalists hold governments to account over climate
change goals. However, hard scientific data is often still manipulated
and cherrypicked by politicians. I’ve spoken to many and liken the
experience to walking through treacle.

Does their bland decision-making have to do with the structure of
democracy itself, with its short electoral terms and lack of incentives
for incumbent politicians to make hard and binding decisions for the
decades ahead?

As I look around and see New Zealand’s highways, jammed with huge diesel
trucks and ever-increasing numbers of petrol-powered SUVs and cars, I
feel dread. It doesn’t have to be this way. What is it about living on a
finite planet that humans either don’t or won’t understand, after all
the studies and warnings show that continuing in this way leads to the
inevitable collapse of the planet’s ecosystems?

When you look at the true cost of the damage to the atmosphere,
politicians’ claims that action on carbon reduction is too expensive
become bizarre. When we burn fossil fuels, we’ve never factored in the
ultimate cost of the damage to the atmosphere caused by excess CO2. In
many countries, if you pollute a waterway, you have to clean it up or
pay a substantial fee for the damage – that cost has to be factored in
to the cost of running your business. In the case of emitting CO2 into
the atmosphere, you can do that for little or no upfront and immediate
cost. Are we offended by people polluting waterways because it is
literally in your face whereas CO2 is a transparent gas?

US invokes emergency powers after cyberattack shuts crucial fuel pipeline
For most of the last few decades I have been disappointed with the lack
of action on carbon emissions reductions by politicians. But on the
other hand, I’m very optimistic when it comes to the extraordinary
ingenuity of human beings. We already have the tools to combat climate
change. The last two decades have seen massive advances in renewable
energy electricity generation to the point where these sources are now
cheaper than equivalent coal-burning power plants, even before the cost
of damage to the atmosphere is taken into account. The International
Energy Agency (IEA) reported that, in 2019, almost 30% of OECD
electricity was met by renewable sources including hydro, solar, wind,
biomass and geothermal.

Crucial to the urgent transition towards a low carbon future will be the
skills and experience of engineers. Over the years I’ve spoken to many
groups of engineers, including oil and gas engineers, about climate
change. You’d think that a climate scientist talking to a gas engineer
would lead to an argument, but that has not been my experience.

Those same gas and other engineers who have been so maligned by the
green movement have the vital skills needed in a new sustainable economy.

Their skills are transferable to an economy making widescale use of
“green hydrogen”, for example. Green hydrogen, produced by electrolysis
of water using excess electricity derived from wind and other renewable
energy sources, is already being used in steelmaking, energy storage and
transport in Germany and a number of other countries.

When I talk to people about this technology and its possibilities, they
are astonished. They wonder why they have never heard of it. Hydrogen
fuel cell technology has been around a long time – I remember first
seeing it decades ago. Why hasn’t it been used? Several reasons come to
mind, including conspiracy theories about the oil companies, but to me
there is a simple answer. It’s because products made from fossil fuels
appear to be so much cheaper than sustainable alternatives; the true
cost of the climate emergency is never factored in when the products are
sold to customers.

So what is the true cost of the damage to the atmosphere when you emit a
couple of tonnes of CO2 into it, perhaps during a longhaul flight
between Auckland and London or by running a diesel-powered SUV for a
year? There are a lot of different answers to that question depending on
whether you ask an economist, politician, engineer or a climate scientist.

If you ask a chemist how, and how much it would cost, to remove a tonne
of CO2 from the atmosphere, they would probably throw up their hands in
horror, come up with a figure of NZ$1,000 per tonne and a very complex
apparatus. A climate scientist would reply to the question with another,
like, “How much do you think the 2020 wildfires in Australia,
California, Colorado, Siberia and the Arctic cost?” And a New Zealand
economist would quote the current carbon price on the New Zealand
emissions trading scheme site, which in early 2021 was about NZ$37 per
tonne. To me that sounds ridiculously cheap, measuring in crude economic
terms the cost of the damage by carbon emissions into our only atmosphere.

We’ve been blinkered into thinking that there are no alternatives to
fossil fuels for running an economy and society. But engineers and
economists can point to several alternatives, and we need to adopt the
ones that provide a sustainable future in this decade. A new field has
emerged which has come to be known as “transition engineering”, where
engineering and scientific principles are used to provide systems which
do not compromise the ecological, societal and economic systems that
future generations will depend on.

Engineering solutions will be especially valuable in tackling the
rapidly growing emissions from transport. Worldwide, liquid fuels like
petrol and diesel for cars and trucks, jet fuel for aviation and bunker
fuels for shipping accounted for more than 20% of total CO2 emissions in
2016. Growing at a faster rate than any other sector, transport poses a
major challenge to reducing emissions in line with the Paris Agreement.
To keep global temperature rise within a range that averts the worst
climate impacts, IPCC and other climate modelling show transport
emissions must decline. Transitioning to zero-emission transport is
crucial. Solutions include clean fuels, improved vehicle efficiency,
changes to how we move people and goods, and building sustainable cities.

Electrification eliminates tailpipe emissions of CO2 and particles that
damage our lungs. It harnesses the potential to decarbonise the power grid.

There is no doubt that reducing carbon emissions to avert disastrous
impacts of climate change will be a gigantic undertaking. No single
solution to this problem exists. It will require concerted effort from
all parts of society, above all governments, but also engineers,
scientists, economists, teachers and farmers. We can feel optimistic of
the rapidly emerging technologies available to help reduce carbon
emissions, among them hydrogen generation and storage from surplus
electricity, synthesis of sugars from CO2 and water, information and
nanotechnology, bioengineering and educational science to name a few.
The challenges ahead are formidable but I truly believe that, given the
will and with concerted action, human beings are more than capable of
building a sustainable future.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/10/humans-already-have-the-tools-to-combat-climate-change-but-we-lack-leadership

[oops, another factor]
*Scientists fear more lung cancer as radon is released from thawing
permafrost*
Scientists from the Russian Academy of Sciences hypothesize that as the
melting of the permafrost becomes more prevalent, so will the incidence
of lung cancer.

Massive amounts of uranium are stored in high concentrations underground
throughout the Arctic zone. A product of uranium decay is radon gas.
Normally, radon is contained in the soil by layers of ground and snow
atop of it. However, as permafrost thaws, the radioactive gas seeps out
from underground and is released into the atmosphere.

The link between thawing permafrost and increased risk of lung cancer is
presented by researchers with the Federal Center for Comprehensive Study
of the Arctic with the Russian Academy of Science.

When humans respire radon gas, their lungs are exposed to radiation.
Radon is naturally present in air in small amounts. On average, about
0.4 pCi/L of radon can be expected to compose the air. In such small
amounts, breathing in radon is fairly harmless, according to the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). However, through constant
exposure to the gas or to more concentrated quantities of it, the lining
of the lungs get damaged. This in turn, increases the chances of
developing lung cancer. According to EPA, radon gas is the second
greatest contributor to lung cancer after smoking.

Permafrost thawing caused by climate changes is going to increase
atmospheric radon levels, which will have horrible health effects on
humans and animals in the region, according to the Russian science study.

As radon gas is both odorless and colorless, it is difficult to sensory
identify. Arctic animals will not instinctively know that they are in
danger. They are likely to continue living in the area but will be
increasingly dying prematurely due to higher cancer rates. Local
populations will also have difficulty identifying dangerously high
levels of the gas without the proper equipment.
- -
Atmospheric radon gas increase is yet another frightening side effect of
climate change to be added to the myriad of the already existing ones.
As the evidence of doom amasses, it is necessary to act before it is too
late.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/climate-crisis/2021/05/scientists-fear-more-lung-cancer-radon-released-thawing-permafrost

[Yale]
*Revitalized U.S. urgency on climate change and national security*
The Biden administration’s national security concerns over climate
change mark a sharp shift from the Trump administration approach.
by SAMANTHA HARRINGTON - MAY 7, 2021
/*- - */
Climate change intersects with national security in several ways.
Climate change directly threatens military bases and personnel through
higher temperatures, continued sea-level rise, and other extreme weather
events, and can worsen the impacts of some natural disasters.

“I served for a period of time in Norfolk, Virginia, as an environmental
lawyer, and that’s the largest Navy base in the world,” Nevitt said.
“The seas are rising, the soil is sinking. How are we going to adapt for
this and save the infrastructure?”

Sikorsky added that climate change likely will lead to more humanitarian
and disaster-relief missions in the U.S. and around the world.

The global trends report also addresses more indirect ways that climate
change is expected to intersect with national security. The key
takeaways cited in the report are that:

    - The developing world will bear some of the worst natural disasters
    which will intensify risks to food, water, health, and energy security.
    - The demand for energy and carbon dioxide removal technologies will
    grow increasingly desperate, leading to more calls for
    geoengineering, “despite possibly dire consequences.”
    - Countries will debate over required sacrifices and concessions as
    the world moves toward net-zero emissions. The burdens and benefits
    won’t be equal across all nations, leading to heightened
    competition, increased instability, strained military readiness, and
    more political discord.

Overall, climate change adds an extra layer of analysis to all security
risks. “If you don’t take climate change into account, then your
interventions are going to be lacking,” Sikorsky said. “You’re going to
miss some things because you’re not building resilience to what we know
is coming in terms of the climate shocks.”...
- -
Nevitt’s only qualm? He is concerned the report may be overly optimistic
about how much the international community can agree on a critical
point: quickly reducing, and perhaps also eliminating, greenhouse gas
emissions in order to prevent exceding 1.5°C of warming even earlier
than the report expects

Looking toward 2040
Sikorsky and Nevitt both say they hope national security professionals
continue to move toward a broader definition of what security is, so
that it fully encompasses climate change matters.

“It’s one of those things we’ve kind of had, even under the Trump
administration, you had a grassroots effort among many agencies of
younger folks who had come in saying, look, we got to put this issue
front and center,” Sikorsky said. “What was missing was folks at the
higher level.”

Nevitt also said that the COVID-19 pandemic has led to a reframing of
national security beyond just threats from foreoign governments or alien
organizations: The pandemic has shown clearly  that non-traditional
threats can be just as deadly as conventional ones...
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/05/revitalized-u-s-urgency-on-climate-change-and-national-security/

[Yale - misinformation age - video discussion]
*Are Scientific Models Fictions? Model-Based Science as Epistemic
Warfare, Post-Talk Conversation*
Apr 30, 2021
YaleUniversity
In the current epistemological debate, scientific models are not only
considered as useful devices for explaining facts or discovering new
entities, laws, and theories.  They are also rubricated under various
new labels:  from the classical ones, as abstract entities and
idealizations, to the more recent, as fictions, surrogates, credible
worlds, missing systems, make-believe, parables, functional, epistemic
actions, revealing capacities.  Professor Magnani will discuss these
approaches, showing some of their epistemological inadequacies and also
taking advantage of recent results in cognitive science. The main aim is
to revise and criticize fictionalism, reframing the received idea of
abstractness and ideality of models with the help of recent results
coming from the area of distributed cognition (common coding) and
abductive cognition (manipulative).
Post-Talk Conversation between Lorenzo Magnani, Department of
Humanities, Philosophy Section and Computational Philosophy Laboratory,
University of Pavia, Italy and James Weatherall, Department of Logic and
Philosophy of Science, University of California, Irvine
https://youtu.be/APTnRpZXO6E

[EPA regulates CO2]
By Lisa Friedman - Published May 3, 2021
*E.P.A. to Sharply Limit Powerful Greenhouse Gases*
The Biden administration is moving quickly to limit hydrofluorocarbons,
the Earth-warming chemicals used in air-conditioning and refrigeration.

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency moved on Monday to
sharply reduce the use and production of powerful greenhouse gases
central to refrigeration and air-conditioning, part of the Biden
administration’s larger strategy of trying to slow the pace of global
warming.

The agency proposed to regulate hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, a class of
man-made chemicals that are thousands of times more potent than carbon
dioxide at warming the planet. The proposal is the first significant
step the E.P.A. has taken under President Biden to curb climate change.

The move is also the first time the federal government has set national
limits on HFCs, which were used to replace ozone-depleting
chlorofluorocarbons in the 1980s but have turned out to be a significant
driver of global warming. More than a dozen states have either banned
HFCs or are formulating some restrictions...
- -
Under the plan, the E.P.A. will set a baseline for the amount of HFCs
that are produced and consumed, and use that to establish a cap on the
levels that can be created and imported into the United States. The
agency will then establish a methodology for allocating allowances to
companies to continue producing and importing HFCs for the years 2022
and 2023, as well as developing an enforcement system.

Under the law, allowances to companies will gradually decrease as the
market for alternatives grows. There will be a 45-day comment period
before the E.P.A. moves to finalize the regulation.

In the last days of the Obama administration, 197 nations, including the
United States, signed the Kigali accord to phase out HFCs. President
Donald J. Trump never brought the agreement to the Senate for
ratification. Mr. Biden has pledged to send the Kigali amendment to the
Senate.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/climate/EPA-HFCs-hydrofluorocarbons.html

[activism by divestment]*
**Climate Justice Is About More Than Just Fossil Fuels*
A true commitment to climate justice is much broader: It necessarily
entails building local resilience to climate impacts.
By Matthew Sehrsweeney - MAY 7, 2021
- -
For example, in March, after nearly a decade of intense pressure from
student organizers, the University of Michigan announced full divestment
from fossil fuels. The week prior to the announcement, the university
released its carbon neutrality plan—also the subject of intense
pressure—which aims to achieve university-wide true carbon neutrality by
2040.

At first glance, it looks like UM is acknowledging its massive
responsibility in mitigating the climate crisis and charting a bold path
to make good on it—and indeed, these steps are monumental: Michigan’s
endowment is the first of the world’s top 10 largest university
endowments to divest.

But campus climate activists here and elsewhere should not be so easily
satisfied...
- -
Divestment from fossil fuels and carbon neutrality are a step in the
right direction, but not nearly enough—now is not a moment for partial
measures; it is a moment for radical transformation.
https://www.thenation.com/article/environment/climate-justice/

[long video of Elon Musk chats around the table for hours - in his home
as he tries to sell his bitcoin - revealing his understanding of global
warming - this may indicate a bubble]
*Elon Musk SNL / Reveals When DOGE Hit $7 / Dogecoin to the MOON NOW!!! /*
https://youtu.be/bUwDw20yOTM

[Fire in the ice]
*Ice on fire: first wildfires are registered around the world’s Pole of
Cold in Yakutia*
By Svetlana Skarbo, Valeria Sukhova -4 May 2021
Could burning ground in an area as extremely cold as Oymyakon be caused
by zombie fires?
The air temperature in the Oymyakon district of Yakutia is still
negative at nights, with daytime just about climbing over 1C.

Snow is beginning to melt, but rivers are still locked in ice for at
least a couple weeks more - which is completely normal for Oymyakon, the
coldest permanently inhabited settlement on Earth.

What is abnormal is the sight of a dozen wildfires burning a short
distance north and south from this famous Pole of Cold.

The first was registered as unusually early as 29 April by the
settlement of Teryut, a short distance north from Oymyakon.

Sentinel-2 satellite caught sight of frozen Indigirka River,
snow-covered mountains, and ominous dark-orange dots scattered along the
valleys...
  - -
The second set of fires was recorded south of Oymyakon and even closer
by distance (within 20km, or 12 milds) on 1 May.

Last summer was one of the worst in the history of Yakutia for the
number of wildfires, with many registered above the Arctic circle.

Russia’s largest and coldest region reported fires all around its
territory, with a massive blanket of smoke visible from space in the far
north beside the Arctic Ocean.

At the end of autumn 2020 a report in Tomponsky Vestnik newspaper made
clear that one such fire was still burning outside the village of
Udarnik - the area that suffered badly in summer wildfires.
The video, filmed in November at -25C (-13F) showed pillars of smoke
rising above a field outside the village, with worried residents
commenting that summer fires  had not stopped.

Several months later we asked local journalists to check if the smoke
was still visible in the same location - and it was, with the ground
feeling ‘like rubber’ as they walked along a field.

The video below was filmed at -30C (-22F) after months of extremely cold
winter with air temperatures plummeting in December and January 2021 to
as low as -60C (-76F).

This kind of fire - most often in peat, or young coal, or a mixture of
both - is often described as a ‘zombie fire’.
Such blazes can go on for weeks and months. In some situations they are
next to impossible to extinguish.

Siberia has a number of such fires - further south, but now they are
present in the far north.

‘This winter peat and charcoal underground fire outside Udarnik was
caused by summer wildfires that didn’t stop till late Autumn. It wasn’t
diminished by weeks of rain, which is typical for peat fires as they can
go many metres down, creating extremely dangerous burning ‘pockets’
where a man or an animal would burn alive within minutes. Peat fires
don’t need oxygen from outside, and ‘like’ cold snowy winters because
snow acts like a blanket that supports burning’, said ex-forester Lyubov
Vasilyeva, from the Tomponsky district of Yakutia.

Lyubov, 62, believes that it was the collapse of the Soviet Union that
started a long chain of events leading to the current zombie fires.

‘There was a system of controlled burning of dry grass, with specialists
- who had maps with peat bogs and coal deposits marked - supervising the
process,’ she said, recalling the past.

'It died in the early ‘90s, and nothing new was created, with people
burning grass uncontrollably and without knowledge.

‘This results in massive summer wildfires, with some of them turning
into zombie fires’, she said.
https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/ice-on-fire-first-wildfires-are-registered-around-the-worlds-pole-of-cold-in-yakutia/

[Digging back into the internet news archive - defeat for open information]
*On this day in the history of global warming  May 10, 2005 *
  The US Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia rules
that the White House does not have to disclose information regarding the
infamous 2001 Cheney Energy Task Force.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/politics/10cnd-cheney.html?_r=0

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4647599

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/05/11/court_backs_cheney_on_energy_meetings/

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.