[✔️] November 18, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Nov 18 11:22:55 EST 2021

/*November 18, 2021*/

/[  Smart talk by Dr Katharine Hayhoe  hour-long video  ] /
*Talking Climate Action with Dr. Katharine Hayhoe*
Nov 17, 2021
Oxford Climate Society
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ojEZ0o4B4k

/[ first some reality: "Don't despair, but get moving"
https://youtu.be/c2bLKzRFeQE ] /
*Horace Albright Lecture in Conservation with Pulitzer Prize-Winning
Science Writer Elizabeth Kolbert*
Nov 17, 2021
UC Berkeley Events
Horace Albright Lecture in Conservation with Pulitzer Prize-Winning
Science Writer Elizabeth Kolbert in Conversation with Dean David
Ackerly, Rausser College & Dean Geeta Anand, Graduate School of Journalism
Elizabeth Kolbert is the author of Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man,
Nature, and Climate Change and The Sixth Extinction, for which she won
the Pulitzer Prize. For her work at The New Yorker, where she’s a staff
writer, she has received two National Magazine Awards and the Blake-Dodd
Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. In Under a White
Sky: The Nature of the Future, Kolbert now asks the question: “After
doing so much damage, can we change nature, this time to save it?”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bLKzRFeQE

/[ now some fiction - see the 2:45 video trailer -
https://youtu.be/RbIxYm3mKzI ]/
*DON'T LOOK UP | Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence | Official Trailer
| Netflix*
Nov 16, 2021
Netflix
Based on real events that haven’t happened - yet. Don’t Look Up in
select theaters December 10 and on Netflix December 24.
DON’T LOOK UP tells the story of two low-level astronomers who must go
on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will
destroy planet Earth. Written and Directed by Adam McKay.
*https://youtu.be/RbIxYm3mKzI*

- -

/[  we are the asteroid, and now we are the comet ]/
*Don't Look Up Is a Climate Change Movie in Disguise*
The forthcoming Netflix movie is about an comet hitting Earth. We are
the freaking comet, people.
ByBrian Kahn - Nov 17, 2021
I don’t have to see more than the two-and-a-half-minute trailer for
Don’t Look Up to feel confident in saying that it will almost surely be
the best climate film made to date.

Netflix dropped the trailer on Tuesday that, on first blush, may look
like a standard disaster comedy. (Does this genre exist?) Scientists
played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence raise the alarm to the
U.S. government about a comet headed for Earth. The government’s
response is to promptly ignore them to “sit tight and assess.” The media
doesn’t treat it seriously. An when the government finally comes around
to thinking about the comet, the goal is to profit off of it.

“What do trillions of dollars matter if we’re all going to die?”
DiCaprio’s character asks, to immediate mockery.

The parallels with climate change are striking. Scientists have known
about the greenhouse effect for nearly two centuries. There’s a
newspaper article from 1912 linking burning coal to climate change.
Exxon’s own scientists perfectly predicted the current state of climate
change in 1982. There has been no shortage of alarm bells that have been
ringing, and they’ve reached a crescendo in the past few years.

Yet the U.S. government—and indeed, basically every government in the
world—has essentially shrugged. Carbon dioxide emissions have continued
unabated. With a crisis point upon us now, governments have turned to
profit as a reason to address it.
https://gizmodo.com/dont-look-up-is-a-climate-change-movie-in-disguise-1848076905

/[  Huge river in the sky ]/
*Vancouver storm: A state of emergency has been declared in British
Columbia*
A state of emergency has been declared in the Canadian western province
of British Columbia after a major storm cut road and rail links in the
region.

The Canadian Armed Forces are being deployed to help thousands of
stranded residents who have been trapped since the storm hit overnight
on Sunday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pledged assistance during a visit to
Washington DC and said troops would help rebuild.

One woman was killed in a landslide, and two people are missing.
Thousands remain evacuated after an "atmospheric river" - a long strip
of moisture in the air that transports water from tropical areas towards
the poles - dumped the region's monthly rainfall average in 24 hours.
Officials in the region have attributed the natural disaster to the
effects of climate change...
- -
Helicopters on Wednesday dropped food supplies to stranded mountain
communities after slides destroyed roads and floods submerged major
highways.

The town of Tulameen has about 400 people trapped there, according to
Reuters news agency.

Some communities at higher elevations have seen temperatures drop below
freezing. Farmers and ranchers at lower elevations have struggled with
widespread flooding and thousands of animals have died.

Approximately 1,500 travellers became stranded in the town of Hope after
roads closed, Grace Baptist Church Pastor Jeff Kuhn told BBC News in an
email on Wednesday.

Premier Horgan has called on residents to stay at home, and to not hoard
items. "What you need your neighbours need as well," he said.

Residents of some neighbourhoods in the city of Abbotsford were told on
Tuesday to leave immediately as rising water levels posed "a significant
risk to life".

In a press conference on Wednesday, Mayor Henry Braun said water levels
in the nearby Fraser River were dropping but warned: "We're not out of
this yet.

"If we have another weather event like we just went through, we're in
deep doo-doo," he said.
Rescue operations are still under way in the area, and aerial
assessments of the damage are being conducted.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59324764

/[ the initial report to President Lyndon Johnson 1965 ]/
*1965 President’s Science Advisory Committee Report on Atmospheric
Carbon Dioxide**
**“Restoring the Quality of Our Environment” *is a comprehensive report
by President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Science Advisory Committee which warns
of the impacts of pollution and humanity’s role in addressing the
future. The panel suggests “economic incentives to discourage pollution”
in which “special taxes would be levied against polluters.” The
Committee reports on a wide range of pollution issues such as soil
contamination, sewage, agricultural waste, and solid waste. President
Johnson found the report to be pertinent enough to not only be
distributed to government agencies and officials, but also, due to its
“general interest,” the public. The selected excerpt below focuses on
the hazardous increase of atmospheric carbon dioxide due to humanity’s
production and combustion of fossil fuels.

The Committee begins the section by quickly acknowledging the
“measurable” effect that fossil fuel combustion has on the increase in
atmospheric carbon dioxide. Linking that increase directly to humanity’s
behavior, the Committee reports “[c]arbon dioxide is being added to the
earth’s atmosphere by the burning of coal, oil, and natural gas at the
rate of 6 billion tons a year.” They report that fossil fuel combustion
is the only major new producer of carbon dioxide, increasing the
quantity of CO2 in the atmosphere and ocean from roughly 1860 to 1960 by
7%. Focusing on a smaller interval of time, the Committee found a 1.36%
increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide from 1958 to 1963. Throughout the
selected section, the Committee makes forward-looking predictions,
warning of melting ice caps, rising sea levels, acidification of water
sources, and more. They conclude with a prediction and a warning of what
could come:

“By the year 2000 the increase in atmospheric CO2 will be close to 25%.
This may be sufficient to produce measurable and perhaps marked changes
in climate, and will almost certainly cause significant changes in the
temperature and other properties of the stratosphere.”/...
/https://www.climatefiles.com/climate-change-evidence/presidents-report-atmospher-carbon-dioxide/

/[  How Denmark is doing... video comments after COP26  ] /
*Jason Box Addendum | How is Denmark Doing ON Climate Pledges?*
Nov 17, 2017
Nick Breeze ClimateGENN
After filming the Greenland interview on the Denamrk pavilion in the
Blue Zone at COP26, we recorded this short segment on Jason's view on
how Denmark, his adopted country, is doing on their climate pledges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzLwNEHdZtk

/[ Lewis Black humor about climate changes  - 21 min video
https://youtu.be/-pUpVF1AlHQ ]/
*Lewis Black | The Rant Is Due best of Climate Change*
Nov 17, 2021
Lewis Black
As the COP26 meetings have ended, we look back on some rants about
climate change, global warming, and the end of the planet as we know it.
These submissions are timeless in their sense of urgency, that something
must be done to combat the very real issue of manmade climate change,
but tempered by a foreboding aura of apocryphal doom and resigned
helplessness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUpVF1AlHQ

   [The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming November  18, 2014*
November 18, 2014:
In a 59-41 vote, the U.S. Senate rejects an effort to force the
expedited expansion of the Keystone XL pipeline.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/keystone-fails-senate-vote
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/11/18/3593489/keystone-xl-senate-vote/
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/us/politics/keystone-xl-pipeline.html?mwrsm=Email

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry