[✔️] October 11, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 11 11:17:08 EDT 2021

/*October 11, 2021*/

/[ Top story ]/
*Major Climate Action at Stake in Fight Over Twin Bills Pending in Congress*
Legislation aimed at infrastructure and social programs also includes
big changes in energy, transportation and disaster preparation. They
would amount to the most significant climate action ever taken by the
United States...
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/10/climate/climate-action-congress.html

/[ check weather and no smoking ]/
*Critical fire weather and Red Flag Warnings predicted for much of
California Monday and Tuesday*
Bill Gabbert - - October 10, 2021
Critical fire weather and Red Flag Warnings predicted for much of
California Monday and Tuesday...
- -
Much of California between Los Angeles and Redding will be under
elevated fire danger or Red Flag Warnings Monday and Tuesday. Strong
north winds are predicted to begin Sunday night, peak on Monday, and
last through Tuesday. Temperatures will not be as high as is seen in
typical Santa Ana wind events, but they will be higher than normal and
relative humidities will be low.

In the North Bay, for example, winds will develop late Sunday evening
from the north at 30 to 40 mph, and will be locally higher near favored
gaps, canyons, and in the Valley. Minimum humidity will drop to 10 to 25
percent Monday and slightly lower on Tuesday. Overnight recovery will be
25 to 50 percent.

Any fires that develop could spread rapidly.
https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1447328756687785989?ref_src=twsrc
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/10/10/critical-fire-weather-and-red-flag-warnings-predicted-for-much-of-california-monday-and-tuesday/

/[ Video news from DW  ]/
*India faces power outages as coal supplies dwindle | DW News*
Oct 11,2021
DW News
India is facing major power shortage, as the country's coal supplies
dwindle. Electricity demand has surged since 2019, while the price of
coal has also rocketed to near record highs. Now several states are
looking at introducing mass blackouts to save energy reserves.
Meanwhile, the Modi government is insisting the country has enough coal
to supply its power plants. Coal prices shot up after heavy monsoon
rains closed mines and disrupted transport networks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAU6ub1nyNk

/[ incomprehensible conundrum ] /
*How culturally deranged is our climate today?*
Danny Crichton at dannycrichton - October 10, 2021
- -
In his profound and engrossing book The Great Derangement, celebrated
Indian novelist Amitav Ghosh trains his sharply analytical and observant
mind on the interconnections between humans and the planet, discovering
counter-intuitive relationships wherever he roams. An edited collection
of a series of lectures he delivered at the University of Chicago in
2015, it’s a taut and provocative meditation, and one of the best I have
read in recent years...
- -
Ghosh’s main argument centers on the role of culture, and particularly
literary culture, in contextualizing the climate crisis. He’s all but
astonished to find it completely absent, which leads to the book’s title
of the great derangement: that climate change is all but incidental to
culture, a fact that’s insane in a world increasingly trembling from the
daily crises of a planet under stress. In fact, “it could even be said
that fiction that deals with climate change is almost by definition not
of the kind that is taken seriously by serious literary journals: the
mere mention of the subject is often enough to relegate a novel or a
short story to the genre of science fiction.”

He narrates his own brush with climate change: a freak urban cyclone
that nearly killed him when he was younger. Yet, as he reminisces on
this incident, he realizes that his random brush with death would be
impossible in the context of a plot. Too arbitrary, a narrative device
that would seem hackneyed to even the most open-minded reader. His own
lived experience — an authentic, real experience — impossible to write
down since it seems almost impossible to have happened.

The likelihood of any individual catastrophe emanating from climate
change is unlikely, but the totality of each of those many rolls of the
dice all but guarantees frequent disasters. That leads Ghosh into a
meditation on the history of probability. “Probability and the modern
novel are in fact twins, born at about the same time, among the same
people, under a shared star that destined them to work as vessels for
the containment of the same kind of experience,” he writes. The
randomness of life that was a feature of humanity for millennia became
regularized with the rise of the industrial era — we took control of our
environments, our destinies after struggling to hold back the chaos of
our world. Probability thus became less relevant in the modern age.

Of course, it was precisely that penchant for control that has led to
our current climate rupture. Our upgraded standard of living
simultaneously cost us the very quality of regularity that we demand.
The idyllic nature of the San Francisco Bay Area is now punctuated by
successive climate crises, from droughts to wildfires. Our interwoven
global community now stutters with supply-chain disruptions, travel
cancelations, border closures and policy changes. Our system of
regularity has become a system at war with itself...
- -
Part of the challenge in Ghosh’s mind is that culture has become
centered on narrations of individuals, who are hopelessly outmatched
today by Earth’s forces. He borrows from John Updike the phrase
“individual moral adventure” to describe much of modern literature,
particularly that produced in the West. We want a hero, a protagonist,
someone we can viscerally connect with and understand their tribulations
as they embark on a quest against challenges they eventually overcome.

The climate is a system though, and thus, practically impervious to
individual action. As I pointed out in my review of Kim Stanley
Robinson’s The Ministry for the Future today, it’s nearly impossible to
engage a reader on the bureaucratic struggles that form the basis for
any change around climate. There is no villain but all of us, and that
just doesn’t match the kind of narrative readers and viewers expect.

Worse, the narrative needs of “individual moral adventure” leads us to a
world in which the substance of the matter isn’t even the heart of the
story. Ghosh decries where this leads, writing that “Fiction, for one,
comes to be reimagined in such a way that it becomes a form of bearing
witness, of testifying, and of charting the career of the conscience.
Thus do sincerity and authenticity become, in politics as in literature,
the greatest of virtues.” That leads to a declining level of agency for
individuals and also for groups. “As the public sphere grows ever more
performative, at every level from presidential campaigns to online
petitions, its ability to influence the actual exercise of power becomes
increasingly attenuated,” he writes.

While systems thinking can easily get truncated to just technical and
scientific relationships, Ghosh has successfully expanded the bounds to
include culture in the equations as well (his three parts in this volume
are entitled “Stories,” “History” and “Politics,” which gives some idea
of his intended contributions). It’s not enough to just peer into our
natural ecosystems and see what’s going on, but we also have to
understand how humans conceive and connect with these systems in the
first place. His analysis offers another critical stratum on an already
deeply-layered problem.

So where does this foray into culture, power and politics lead us?
Ultimately, Ghosh sees an important place for traditional religious
authorities to take charge on climate. As he writes:

    Religious worldviews are not subject to the limitations that have
    made climate change such a challenge for our existing institutions
    of governance: they transcend nation-states, and they all
    acknowledge intergenerational, long-term responsibilities; they do
    not partake of economistic ways of thinking and are therefore
    capable of imagining nonlinear change — catastrophe, in other words
    — in ways that are perhaps closed to the forms of reason deployed by
    contemporary nation-states.

Ghosh touches on a myriad of other subjects across this slim book, but
his erudite and at times contrarian thinking successfully reframes many
of the debates and points of reference around climate and future
governance. As with all good systems thinking, his analysis ultimately
others something synthetic: different lenses by which to understand a
wicked problem. We should be fortunate that there is perhaps a path out
of the morass.

Or not. For it’s clear that while debates around the climate have gone
on for decades, we’re still doing little to actually solve the
fundamentals. Ghosh quotes U Thant, the third secretary-general of the
United States and the first from Asia, back in 1971:

    As we watch the sun go down, evening after evening, through the smog
    across the poisoned waters of our native earth, we must ask
    ourselves seriously whether we really wish some future universal
    historian on another planet to say about us: “With all their genius
    and with all their skill, they ran out of foresight and air and food
    and water and ideas,” or, “They went on playing politics until their
    world collapsed around them.”

That history is being written now, and while the puzzle in front of us
is indeed vexing, it’s neither impossible to comprehend not impossible
to solve.

_The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable_ by Amitav Ghosh
The University of Chicago Press, 2016, 176 pages
https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/10/how-culturally-deranged-is-our-climate-today/

/[Mindfully important thinking] /
*Reducing Eco-Anxiety*
Jay Michaelson
September 23, 2021
There are days when I feel that climate change is the only thing that
matters and that the tragedy of it is unbearable. I feel simultaneously
like screaming on the street and hiding under the covers.

At least I know that I’m not alone. According to a 2020 study by the
American Psychiatric Association, over half of Americans said they were
somewhat or extremely anxious about the impact of climate change.

And they – we – are right. There aren’t enough words in this newsletter
to describe the scope of this tragedy, which has just begun to unfold.
Massive species and habitat loss. At least 250,000 deaths each year from
2030-2050, according to WHO projections. Up to a billion climate and
food refugees, with attendant conflicts and disasters. Increased
wildfires, floods, hurricanes, and pandemics. Covid-19 is a picnic
compared to what’s in store for our children.

So what can we do?

I used to think that meditation could be part of the solution by helping
us to consume less and live more sustainable lives. But to be honest, I
don’t feel that way anymore. As is now very well documented, individual
behavior change will not stop or slow climate change, and even if it
could, it’s unrealistic to imagine a billion people meditating their way
to sustainability.

Where meditation and mindfulness do have a role, however, is enabling us
to be part of the actions that do make a difference. Here are two ways
that can happen.

*1.      Reducing Eco-Anxiety*
First, it can help with what is now called “eco-anxiety.”  To repeat,
eco-anxiety is entirely justified. This isn’t like that old Buddhist
story about being afraid of a snake that turns out to just be some rope.
No, climate change is a real snake.

But our reactions are still up to us. With mindfulness, we can see when
anxiety, fear, rage, or a sense of helplessness are paralyzing us – when
they’re preventing us from taking action, rather than inspiring us to do
so.

Try this the next time you read (or don’t read) a news story about
climate change: check out the mind, heart, and body. Just note
whatever’s going on, without judgment: fear, dread, anger, whatever.
Then, try coexisting with that feeling, rather than trying to push it
away. Okay, you might say, right now, it’s like this.

And if the feeling is too strong to simply “be with,” you can consider
an antidote, which can be as simple as taking a deep breath or
remembering people who bring you joy. Or try one of the many anxiety
meditations in the app.

The point of doing this isn’t just to feel better, although that
certainly helps. Often, as pioneering meditation teacher and climate
activist Joanna Macy has written, the pain of climate change is so great
that we feel we have no choice but to retreat into denial or apathy. It
hurts too much to care.

Sometimes, the sense of helplessness which many of us feel can also
cause us to take individual actions which may give us an illusion of
power but which don’t actually make a difference. Which leads to the
second point…

*2.      Politics*
Climate change is a collective problem. There aren’t enough virtuous
people in the world to make a difference through reducing their carbon
footprints, and studies have shown it’s exceedingly hard to get the
“non-virtuous” to change their behavior. Your individual choices may
reflect your ethical values, and communicate those values to others.
Those are good things. But in terms of actually mitigating climate
change, they simply don’t make a difference.

To address those factors requires politics, and politics is often nasty.
Believe me, having worked as a political columnist for eight years now,
I can speak firsthand to its corrosive effects on one’s mental health
and love of humanity.

But it’s the only way forward. Want to feel less helpless about climate
change?  Register people to vote. This year, persuade centrist senators
(if one represents you) to get on board with meaningful climate action.
Donate to political causes. Get involved in local politics, where
meaningful collective actions are possible. Find the Venn diagram
overlap of what needs doing, what you’re good at, and what brings you joy.

And that is where meditation can help.

First, it can help us rest, relax, and restore. We get mentally messy,
and then we wash off. That is of enormous value.

But more importantly, meditation trains the mind to be with difficult
emotions so that you don’t have to freak out when you experience them.
By learning to coexist with anger, frustration, fear, and despair in
meditation, you don’t get triggered by them for the rest of your life.

So, yes, I’m suggesting you bring climate change, and politics, into
your meditation time, to allow whatever emotions they bring up to
unfold. Because learning not to be controlled by them is how you
actually grow happier.

Building mindfulness in this way can also help you practice
“pendulation,” engaging with the challenging material, and then backing
away from it to restore. It’s like a cycle: do your activist work,
notice when you get stuck, restore, and return. Remember, fighting
climate change is a marathon, not a sprint. And being frozen by anxiety,
anger, or burnout is not helping anyone.

These, at least, are some of the tools that have helped me. None of them
will, themselves, reduce the impact of climate change – but I do find
they make me more able to do so. Truthfully, I don’t know if that will
be enough. But a wise Jewish adage says, you are not required to
complete the work, but you are also not free to desist from it.
https://www.tenpercent.com/meditationweeklyblog/eco-anxiety

/[ Foreign Policy book review opinion ] /
*Humanity’s Unhappy Experiment*
Understanding how the climate crisis unfolded can help us reverse course.
By Christina Lu, an editorial fellow at Foreign Policy.
OCTOBER 10, 2021
Long before anyone understood how the climate worked, a little—yet
devastating—ice age enveloped the Earth beginning around the 14th
century and reaching its chilly nadir in the mid-17th century. Expanding
glaciers demolished entire villages while people starved and shivered to
death. Frozen birds fell from the sky; empires collapsed.

Our Biggest Experiment: An Epic History of the Climate Crisis, Alice
Bell, Counterpoint, 384 pp., $27, September 2021

As terrible as the little ice age was, it was just a harbinger for how
humans would radically transform the climate in the years to come, Alice
Bell writes in her new book, Our Biggest Experiment. Just as human
forces are fueling unprecedented levels of warming today, they may have
also helped usher in earlier freezing temperatures. (While aided by a
decline in solar radiation, the little ice age also had roots in
colonization, which took the lives of 50 million Indigenous people in
the Americas. That loss of life likely sent atmospheric carbon dioxide
levels—and temperatures—plummeting.)

Centuries later, we still haven’t learned our lesson. As people continue
to tamper with the environment, the world is heating up—with dangerous
results. In recent months, countries have been buckling under extreme
droughts, torrential rain, and searing heat waves, all clear indicators
of our changing climate. Humans are the unequivocal perpetrators,
particularly by burning fossil fuels that release copious quantities of
greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

How did we find ourselves in this mess? Our Biggest Experiment charts
the history of the climate crisis, highlighting the people who began
connecting the dots—and those who stymied their efforts. Bell, a climate
campaigner and writer, takes us back to the 18th century, when the
little ice age was winding down and the quest for industrialization began.

Bell traces those critical centuries in astonishing—almost
exhausting—detail. She shows how the world got hooked on fossil fuels,
how scientists began to grapple with the weather and understand the
climate, how Big Oil undermined climate science, and, perhaps most
importantly, what we can learn from the past.

Bell dashes through centuries of science with vivid, fluid writing,
enlisting a sprawling cast of characters to shed light on topics
including the creation of the world’s modern energy mix and the birth of
atmospheric understanding. The realization that filling the atmosphere
with carbon dioxide could send temperatures soaring came surprisingly
early, in the mid-19th century. By the dawn of the next century, there
was little doubt what ever-growing emissions would do. What was missing
was much concern.

The climate crisis “doesn’t hit people with a clearly identifiable
thud,” nor does it arrive in a “single ‘eureka’ moment,” Bell writes.
There were other factors in play. Scientists for decades feared global
cooling more than warming. In the early 1900s, gently rising
temperatures were welcomed as a boon to agriculture. And then some
powerful corporations actively cast doubt on climate change to protect
their businesses. The oil industry led the charge for climate change
skepticism, pushing a position that emphasized “uncertainty” despite all
evidence to the contrary.

A recurring theme in Our Biggest Experiment is that climate issues have
always been inextricably tied to class, race, and gender. Progress was
made off the backs of suffering communities, whether through the slave
trade or workers operating in squalid conditions—and they also bore the
brunt of the environmental impacts. When pollution became unbearable,
Bell writes, the “rich could move, or simply found it was never built
near them in the first place.” The poor weren’t as lucky. They still
aren’t. The global south, responsible for only around 10 percent of
cumulative global emissions, are the most vulnerable to the impacts of
climate change. Richer countries such as Britain, where Bell lives, have
merely outsourced their use of coal and other dirty fuels, and by so
doing, such a nation is “able to dress itself up as a climate leader for
quitting the stuff in ways other countries simply don’t have the means
to,” Bell writes.

Our Biggest Experiment is not a quick read. Meticulously researched, the
book covers so much ground, and so many people, that at times the story
can feel tangled and convoluted. In covering the entirety of the climate
crisis—a laudable feat—Bell risks losing sight of the larger picture.
But she makes up for it with a wealth of nuggets of environmental
history. Ever curious about the history behind the phrase “tree
huggers”? They were real—and dedicated. In 1730, when villagers in
Khejarli, in northwestern India, learned that their culturally important
khejri trees were set to be chopped down for a new palace, they defended
them to the death, literally: In exchange for one villager’s life, one
tree would be spared. One by one, villagers wrapped their arms around
the trees and lost their heads. After hundreds of people were killed in
the effort, the palace’s ruler finally promised to leave them—and their
trees—alone.

In Our Biggest Experiment, Bell paints a dark picture of the world but
not one without hope. “The story of the climate crisis has always been a
choose your own adventure,” she writes. “We’ve inherited an almighty
mess, but we’ve also inherited a lot of tools that could, if we choose
wisely and make the most of them, help us and others survive.” Some
people already are: On Tuesday, three scientists were awarded the Nobel
Prize in physics for their work in understanding how human behavior
drives climate change. And as almost 200 world leaders prepare to meet
in Glasgow, Scotland, this fall for international climate talks, it’s
imperative for policymakers to prioritize the same issues.

Bell acknowledges that the task seems daunting. “Most of us are pretty
clueless about how we built this world in the first place, and so
struggle to work out where to start rebuilding it,” she writes. For
curious readers, this book is a great place to start.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/10/10/climate-change-crisis-experiment-warming-history-environment-review-alice-bell/
- -
[ book blurb]
*Traversing science, politics, and technology, **_Our Biggest
Experiment_**shines a spotlight on the little-known scientists who
sounded the alarm to reveal the history behind the defining story of our
age: the climate crisis.*

Our understanding of the Earth's fluctuating environment is an
extraordinary story of human perception and scientific endeavor. It also
began much earlier than we might think. In _Our Biggest Experiment_,
Alice Bell takes us back to climate change science's earliest steps in
the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, through the point when concern
started to rise in the 1950s and right up to today, where the “debate”
is over and the world is finally starting to face up to the reality that
things are going to get a lot hotter, a lot drier (in some places), and
a lot wetter (in others), with catastrophic consequences for most of
Earth's biomes.

Our Biggest Experiment recounts how the world became addicted to fossil
fuels, how we discovered that electricity could be a savior, and how
renewable energy is far from a twentieth-century discovery. Bell cuts
through complicated jargon and jumbles of numbers to show how we're
getting to grips with what is now the defining issue of our time. The
message she relays is ultimately hopeful; harnessing the ingenuity and
intelligence that has driven the history of climate change research can
result in a more sustainable and bearable future for humanity.
https://www.amazon.com/Our-Biggest-Experiment-History-Climate/dp/1640094334/ref=sr_1_1

/[ historic skirmish of science denial ]
/*‘This is a story that needs to be told’: BBC film tackles Climategate
scandal*
Scientist Philip Jones is resigned, but ready for a fresh wave of abuse
when drama The Trick tries to put the record straight on accusations
that he falsified data on global heating
Robin McKie and Vanessa Thorpe
Sun 10 Oct 2021
Twelve years ago, Professor Philip Jones was subject to a barrage of
hate mail and death threats that pushed him close to suicide. Emails,
hacked from his laboratory, proved climate change research was a fraud,
it was claimed.

Now Jones faces a repeat of that grim onslaught when the BBC One film,
The Trick, is screened on 18 October. It will tell the story,
sympathetically, of his tribulations at the hands of climate change deniers.

“At the time, the mail was awful. Everyone was attacking me and I
couldn’t deal with it. I got Christmas cards filled with obscenities
and, to this day – on the November anniversary of the hacking – I still
get a couple of offensive messages,” Jones told the Observer last week.

“After The Trick is screened I expect there will be a new wave of abuse.
However, I accept the risk because this is a story that needs to be told.”

Jones was head of the Climactic Research Unit at East Anglia University
in Norwich in 2009 when hackers stole thousands of documents and emails
from its computers. Their contents were then carefully selected and used
by climate change deniers to promote the idea that scientists were
falsely alleging fossil fuel emissions were warming the planet.
Subsequent inquiries rejected all these allegations.

“It was a manufactured controversy,” said Owen Sheers, screenwriter of
The Trick. “There was a definite strategy at work and a massive
disinformation campaign. Yet, when I talk to those who remember any of
it now, most still think a scientist really did get caught tweaking the
figures...
- -
“In fact, thousands of documents were stolen and a few extracts were
pulled out in an expert way that became the bullets that did the
damage,” added Sheers, who is known for books such as The Dust Diaries.
Some experts even claim the furore triggered by Climategate – as the
hacking affair was later dubbed – played a key role in the failure of
the Copenhagen climate talks in December that year.
- -
It is a complex argument but Jones was satisfied with the results. “The
film is not heavy on the science, and I think that is fine. This is a
drama and you cannot go into the minutiae or you will get bogged down.”

Broughton and Sheers believe the drama may correct faulty memories of
the scandal, as reports of the findings that exonerated Jones and his
team were not as prominent as the original claims made against them.
“The intellectual defence for Jones has been out there from almost the
first, but it did not get the coverage,” said Sheers.

Sheers also revealed that many of the international news networks that
once denounced Jones and others for faking global warming figures have
now refused to allow their footage to be used by the BBC. Requests to
use clips were turned down by ABC and CBS. “The way it was covered back
then is extraordinary, in the light of everything we know now, but our
requests for news archive were refused,” he said, though he added that
the American networks NBC and Fox did give permission.

“The science was strong then but it is even stronger now,” said Jones.
“And in terms of covering climate change, much of the UK media has
improved. So there is some cheer to be had in our story.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/10/this-is-a-story-that-needs-to-be-told-bbc-film-tackles-climategate-scandal

[conversation with author]
*Richard Wrangham: Role of Violence, Sex, and Fire in Human Evolution |
Lex Fridman *Podcast #229
Oct 10, 2021
Lex Fridman
Richard Wrangham is a biological anthropologist at Harvard, specializing
in the study of primates and the evolution of violence, sex, cooking,
culture, and other aspects of ape and human behavior. Please support
this podcast by checking out our sponsors:
- ROKA: https://roka.com/ and use code LEX to get 20% off your first order
- Theragun: https://therabody.com/lex to get 30 day trial
- ExpressVPN: https://expressvpn.com/lexpod and use code LexPod to get 3
months free
- NI: https://www.ni.com/perspectives
- Grammarly: https://grammarly.com/lex to get 20% off premium

EPISODE LINKS:
Richard's Website: https://heb.fas.harvard.edu/people/ri...
The Goodness Paradox (book): https://amzn.to/3aqg9tg
Catching Fire (book): https://amzn.to/3FAZAcz

[The news archive - looking back - "Could'a, Would'a, Should'a "]
*On this day in the history of global warming October 11, 2000*
October 11, 2000: In the second Presidential debate between Vice
President Al Gore and Texas Governor George W. Bush, Gore says the US
needs to take the lead in confronting the climate crisis and embracing
clean energy. Bush claims that his environmental record as governor of
Texas is not as bad as has been alleged; Bush also attacks the concept
of a carbon tax and endorses "clean coal" and natural gas as energy
solutions. Gore denies that he supports a carbon tax, but endorses
clean-energy tax incentives. Bush tries to suggest that there's still a
dispute in the scientific community about the causes and severity of
climate change, and denounces the Kyoto Protocol. Gore defends the
scientific consensus on climate, and points out that we need to do right
by future generations; in response, Bush again suggests that there isn't
a real consensus.

(65:00-85:25)
https://www.c-span.org/video/?159296-1/presidential-candidates-debate

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry