[✔️] October 25, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Oct 25 08:19:44 EDT 2021

/*October 25, 2021*/

/[ one then another ]/
*A Bomb Cyclone Has Merged With an 'Atmospheric River' to Batter California*
The term "bomb cyclone" refers to the rapid intensification process –
"bombogenesis" – that forms it. Such storms occur when pressure in the
central region of the storm descend by at least 24 millibars (an
atmospheric pressure measurement) in 24 hours, according to the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The bomb cyclone has merged with a Category 5 "atmospheric river" –
giant flowing trains of moist air in the sky.

Atmospheric rivers, like hurricanes and tornadoes, are rated based on
their potential for damage; a Category 5 is the strongest, or "most
hazardous," bringing the chance for gusty winds, flooding, debris flow
and mudslides, according to the California Department of Water Resources.

The National Weather Service (NWS) in Sacramento issued numerous
warnings on Sunday (Oct. 24) concerning extreme rainfall, flooding and
debris flows. In some regions, rainfall may reach into the double digits
in inches.
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-bomb-cyclone-had-merged-with-an-atmospheric-river-to-batter-california

/[ climate changes happening ]/
*Longer, more frequent outages afflict the U.S. power grid as states
fail to prepare for climate change*
State officials are reluctant to ask ratepayers to foot the bill for
investments experts say are needed to fortify the grid against
increasingly severe weather
- -
Across the nation, severe weather fueled by climate change is pushing
aging electrical systems past their limits, often with deadly results.
Last year, the average American home endured more than eight hours
without power, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration —
more than double the outage time five years ago.
This year alone, a wave of abnormally severe winter storms caused a
disastrous power failure in Texas, leaving millions of homes in the
dark, sometimes for days, and at least 200 dead. Power outages caused by
Hurricane Ida contributed to at least 14 deaths in Louisiana, as some of
the poorest parts of the state suffered through weeks of 90-degree heat
without air conditioning.
- -
As storms grow fiercer and more frequent, environmental groups are
pushing states to completely reimagine the electrical grid,
incorporating more batteries, renewable energy sources and localized
systems known as “microgrids,” which they say could reduce the incidence
of wide-scale outages. Utility companies have proposed their own
storm-proofing measures, including burying power lines underground...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/10/24/climate-change-power-outages/

/[ another positive innovation - video description ]/
*Carbon Free Steel becomes a reality at Volvo and Mercedes Benz.*
Oct 24, 2021
Just Have a Think
Steelmaking is currently extremely carbon intensive, accounting for
about 7% of total global greenhouse gas emissions. As we continue to use
ever more steel for new infrastructure around the world, the task of
decarbonising the industry is growing ever more urgent. Hydrogen can now
perform that task and Volvo has just taken delivery of the first
consignment of carbon-free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdX5Hhk9r0

/[ Home power for less than $3K, easy do-it-yourself solar power, from a
smart, trusted young man ]/
*Beginner And Budget Friendly DIY Solar Power System! Anyone can build
this!*
Oct 24, 2021
DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse
   [ See the site for the links to products. ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adFGmOlDM-Y

/[ activism now --  45 min.  - hint -- manually boost your video
resolution ]/
*Day 10 - Julia Steinberger: Struggle for survival: The importance of
climate activism from the ...*
Oct 5, 2021
Institut des sciences cognitives - UQAM
ISC 2021 Summer School – Cognitive Challenges of Climate Change
(https://sites.grenadine.uqam.ca/sites...)
Day 10
Talk by Julia Steinberger: Struggle for survival: The importance of
climate activism from the perspectives of political economy and science
communication
MC: Stevan Harnad, Professor of Psychology (cognitive sciences) at UQAM
and at McGill and Professor Emeritus at the University of Southampton.

    Abstract:
    Climate activism is crucial for any sustained progress on climate
    action. I will discuss this from two systemic perspectives in social
    science: political economy and science communication. I will explore
    what the terms "fossil capitalism" and "captured state" mean in
    reality and for activism, in particular through the lens of the
    political economy of dependence on cars. I will build on this
    systemic understanding to draw lessons for the role, potential and
    necessity of social organizing and activism.