[✔️] September 17, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Sep 17 09:59:21 EDT 2021

/*September 17, 2021*/

/[//a subpoena would work better]/
*House Panel Expands Inquiry Into Climate Disinformation by Oil Giants*
Executives from Exxon, Shell, BP and others are being called to testify
in Congress next month after a secret recording this year exposed an
Exxon official boasting of such efforts.
In letters sent to the industry executives Thursday morning, the
committee also requested information, including internal documents and
emails on climate policy going back to 2015, related to the companies’
and groups’ efforts to undermine climate policy.
- -
Industry lobbyists have been working to influence climate provisions in
two key pieces of legislation, the $3.5 trillion budget bill and $1
trillion infrastructure bill. And after lobbying by groups including the
U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the House Ways and Means Committee unveiled a
draft tax overhaul this week that protects fossil fuel subsidies,
rebuffing calls by President Biden to get rid of the incentives, which
amount to tens of billions of dollars a year.

“Part of the timing of this is to make sure that they know they’re under
a magnifying glass when it comes to any engagement, and running
interference, with the climate agenda of Congress and the Senate,” Mr.
Khanna said...
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/climate/exxon-oil-disinformation-house-probe.html?searchResultPosition=1

- -

/[Congressional press release]/
*Oversight Committee Launches Investigation of Fossil Fuel Industry
Disinformation on Climate Crisis*
Sep 16, 2021 Press Release
Chairs Maloney, Khanna Invite Top Fossil Fuel Executives to Testify at
Hearing

*“We are deeply concerned that the fossil fuel industry has reaped
massive profits for decades while contributing to climate change that is
devastating American communities, costing taxpayers billions of dollars,
and ravaging the natural world,” the Chairs wrote.  “We are also
concerned that to protect those profits, the industry has reportedly led
a coordinated effort to spread disinformation to mislead the public and
prevent crucial action to address climate change.” *

These strategies of obfuscation and distraction span decades and still
continue today.  Between 2015 and 2018, the five largest publicly traded
oil and gas companies reportedly spent $1 billion to promote climate
disinformation through “branding and lobbying.”
The Committee requests that the recipients product documents and
communications by September 30, 2021, related to their organization’s
role in supporting disinformation and misleading the public to prevent
action on the climate crisis...
https://oversight.house.gov/news/press-releases/oversight-committee-launches-investigation-of-fossil-fuel-industry

/[NPR radio report]/
*A Single Fire Killed Thousands Of Sequoias. Scientists Are Racing To
Save The Rest*
September 17, 2021
Heard on Morning Edition
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/17/1037914390/giant-sequoia-national-park-wildfire-climate-change

/[Bloomberg video warns of climate anxiety]/
*Bloomberg Quicktake "Take Focus" Full Show 09/16/21*
Live from New York, this is news for the new media. Watch global stories
and go deeper with original shows on business, technology, politics, and
culture. (Source: Bloomberg)
September 16th, 2021, 8:41 AM PDT
/["Things will get worse, before they can get better"]/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2021-09-16/bloomberg-quicktake-take-focus-full-show-09-16-21-video

- -

/[talk with friends and family, get advice, get council, get therapy]/
*Mental Health Could Be the Next Casualty of Global Warming*
Cyclones, wildfires, floods and the knowledge they’ll get worse are
fueling a rising tide of anxiety. Therapists are trying to cope.
By Daniela Sirtori-Cortina
September 16, 2021
- -
“I just realized, OK, this is as good as it will ever be—not because we
can’t do anything to make things better, but because we just won’t,”
said Felts, 43, who works in financial services and now lives near
Atlanta. “It makes you feel like, ‘hey, the apocalypse is starting.’”
She’s not alone. More people are finding it hard to cope with a growing
sense that governments and businesses won’t do enough to slow global
warming. To make matters worse, there’s the knowledge that even if
humanity suddenly unified in a historic shift to renewable energy, it’s
too late to avoid the grim consequences already baked in...
- -
But while the pandemic may recede in the coming months or years, the
atmospheric changes wrought by burning fossil fuels will remain for a
long time to come. As this reality dawns on more people, mental health
professionals all over the world find themselves racing to develop
strategies to help them deal with the fallout, knowing it’s a phenomenon
that may someday affect almost everyone....
- -
But while the pandemic may recede in the coming months or years, the
atmospheric changes wrought by burning fossil fuels will remain for a
long time to come. As this reality dawns on more people, mental health
professionals all over the world find themselves racing to develop
strategies to help them deal with the fallout, knowing it’s a phenomenon
that may someday affect almost everyone...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-16/mental-health-could-be-the-next-global-casualty-of-climate-change

/[Ambitious artist's blog - visuals in digital display]/
*There is no Saving a World Which is Bent on Destroying Itself - A
Complete Index to Climate Destruction*
This series examines the world not from the idea that we can stop
climate change, but that it is already too late to stop it. It is a hard
look at our world through surrealism and destruction. I hope that it
makes you think.

On each image page you will also find the developmental process for how
the final image was created. For artists who work with digital art, it
will help you to understand the process better.
https://blog.immortalartist.com/2021/05/nosaving.html

[video talk from an astronomer]
*CO2 Spike 55 Million Years Ago Had an Interesting Effect on Our Planet*
Sep 16, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7uPNLKJnE8

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming September  17, 2011*
September 17, 2011:
The Occupy Wall Street movement begins in New York City. Writer Naomi
Klein would later credit OWS for prompting a delay of the Obama
administration's final decision on the Keystone XL pipeline.
http://youtu.be/MJ8CoxnjjZg

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry