[✔️] September 24 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Sep 24 09:21:33 EDT 2021

/*September 24, 2021*/

/[video interview -- "the dismissives get the most air time"]/
*Katharine Hayhoe on Hope and Healing*
Sept 23, 2021
Climate One
Despite her identity as an evangelical, climate scientist Katharine
Hayhoe doesn't accept global warming on faith; she crunches the data,
analyzes the models, and helps engineers, city managers and ecologists
quantify the impacts. In her new book, Saving Us: A Climate Scientist’s
Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World, Hayhoe argues that when it
comes to changing hearts and minds, facts are only one part of the
equation; we need to find shared values in order to connect our unique
identities to collective action. Yet in light of the latest, bleakest UN
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report — which has been called
a “code red for humanity” — where does Hayhoe still manage to find hope?
Join us for a conversation with this United Nations Champion of the
Earth and one of Time ’s 100 Most Influential People.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDiIrJTa21g 13 mins in

- -

/[her new book is called //_Saving Us: A Climate Scientist's Case for
Hope and Healing in a Divided World_//]/
*Saving Us: A Climate Scientist's Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided
World*   Hardcover – September 21, 2021
“An optimistic view on why collective action is still possible—and how
it can be realized.” —The New York Times

“A must-read if we’re serious about enacting positive change from the
ground up, in communities, and through human connections and human
emotions.” —Margaret Atwood, Twitter

United Nations Champion of the Earth, climate scientist, and evangelical
Christian Katharine Hayhoe changes the debate on how we can save our future.

Called “one of the nation's most effective communicators on climate
change” by The New York Times, Katharine Hayhoe knows how to navigate
all sides of the conversation on our changing planet. A Canadian climate
scientist living in Texas, she negotiates distrust of data, indifference
to imminent threats, and resistance to proposed solutions with ease.
Over the past fifteen years Hayhoe has found that the most important
thing we can do to address climate change is talk about it—and she wants
to teach you how.

In Saving Us, Hayhoe argues that when it comes to changing hearts and
minds, facts are only one part of the equation. We need to find shared
values in order to connect our unique identities to collective action.
This is not another doomsday narrative about a planet on fire. It is a
multilayered look at science, faith, and human psychology, from an icon
in her field—recently named chief scientist at The Nature Conservancy.

Drawing on interdisciplinary research and personal stories, Hayhoe shows
that small conversations can have astonishing results. Saving Us leaves
us with the tools to open a dialogue with your loved ones about how we
all can play a role in pushing forward for change.
https://www.amazon.com/Saving-Us-Climate-Scientists-Healing/dp/1982143835/ref=sr_1_1

[stopped the show to talk about climate change]
*"I Empathize With The Doom" - Shawn Mendes On His Generation's
Relationship With The Climate*
Sep 23, 2021
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
The incredible Shawn Mendes makes his Late Show debut on our special
#ClimateNight episode and gives Stephen insight into what his generation
has gone through growing up amid the climate crisis. Shawn's latest
single, "Summer of Love," is out now and dates for his upcoming "Wonder:
The World Tour" will be announced today! #Colbert #ShawnMendes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQBaGkHxUqU

- -

[More climate humor on late night TV - code red]
*Is Systemic Climate Action Possible? Stephen Seek Guidance From Mama Earth*
Sep 23, 2021
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Is there any point in taking individual actions to combat climate change
when big corporations account for 20% of global carbon emissions?
Stephen checks in with Mother Earth in search of some comfort and
advice. #Colbert #Comedy #ClimateNight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzMvJf1Vxg

- -

[activism site]
*THE LATEST CLIMATE REPORT IS A “CODE RED FOR HUMANITY”*
LET'S INSIST CONGRESS PROTECT US FROM THE CLIMATE CRISIS
Fill out the form to easily tell your representative it's
#CodeRedCongress and they must act.
https://coderedcongress.com/

[Of course, hydro-electric dams do the same thing]
*HARVARD STUDY: MELTING POLAR ICE IS PHYSICALLY WARPING THE PLANET**
**AS ICE MELTS, THE CRUST SEEMS TO WARP FOR HUNDREDS OF MILES.**
*Sept 23, 2021
by DAN ROBITZSKI
As rising temperatures melt Arctic ice at an alarming rate, the
resulting rise in the sea level stands to reshape coastlines around the
world. But the effects on the planet itself may be even more dramatic,
according to a new study on how melting ice physically reshapes the
Earth’s crust.

The outermost layer of our planet is surprisingly elastic, according to
research published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters last
month. In the study, Harvard scientists discovered that the crust
rebounds outward after the ice on top of it melts away, but doesn’t
always return to a perfectly spherical shape.

The study shows that these deformations are not only larger than
scientists thought, but also that they can have significant influences
on ecosystems in an area for thousands of years.

Still Recovering
For example, parts of the crust around the Arctic are still expanding
like an extremely slow balloon after the weight of the ice age — which
ended 11,000 years ago — was lifted off of it. As even more ice melts
away thanks to climate change, the expansions and warping effects are
compounded, creating an increasingly-complex landscape...
https://futurism.com/the-byte/melting-polar-ice-physically-warping-planet-earth

- -

[Geophysical Research Letters]
*The Global Fingerprint of Modern Ice-Mass Loss on 3-D Crustal Motion*
*Abstract*

    Crustal motion generated by rapid ice-mass loss from Earth's
    glaciers and ice sheets has previously been considered in Global
    Navigational Satellite System (GNSS) analyses and numerical models
    across regions of ice retreat. However, the fingerprint of ice-mass
    loss is not limited to glaciated areas, but is characterized by a
    global pattern of 3-D crustal deformation. We compute “far-field”
    vertical and horizontal deformation rates that occurred in response
    to early 21st century mass flux from the Greenland and Antarctic Ice
    Sheets, global glaciers and ice caps, and associated ocean loading.
    We demonstrate that mass changes in the Greenland Ice Sheet and high
    latitude glacier systems each generated average crustal motion of
    0.1–0.4 mm/yr across much of the Northern Hemisphere, with
    significant year-to-year variability in magnitude and direction.
    Horizontal motions associated with ice-mass loss exceed vertical
    rates in many far-field areas, and both should be considered in
    future analysis of GNSS measurements.

*
**Plain Language Summary*

    As ice sheets and glaciers melt and water is redistributed to the
    global oceans, the Earth's crust deforms, generating a complex
    pattern of 3-D motions at Earth's surface. In this study, we use
    satellite-derived constraints on early 21st century ice-mass balance
    of the Greenland and Antarctic Ice Sheets and a global database of
    mountain glaciers and ice caps, to predict how the crust has
    deformed over the last two decades. We show that, rather than only
    being localized to regions of ice loss, melting of the Greenland Ice
    Sheet and Arctic glaciers has caused significant horizontal and
    vertical deformation of the crust that extends over much of the
    Northern Hemisphere. This 3-D surface motion is on average several
    tenths of a millimeter per year, and it varies significantly
    year-to-year. We conclude that future work analyzing measurements of
    crustal motion (across various fields in Earth science) should
    correct for the deformation associated with modern ice-mass loss at
    sites distant from melting ice.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL095477

[about trees that have burned. ]
*Outpaced: Wildfire control projects are burning up before they can even
start*
In California forests, climate change is moving faster than climate
adaptation.
- -
California has dramatically ramped up its spending on wildfire
resilience over the last few years, planning forest thinning and
prescribed burns in the places most at risk of burning. Officials have
credited recently completed projects with saving thousands of homes. But
even though the state is moving quickly, fires are moving even faster.

Blazes this year have burned portions of at least 11 forest protection
projects funded by the state of California before they even had a chance
to get started. That number may be as high as 20 when all of this
season’s fires have been accounted for, said Angela Avery, executive
officer of the Sierra Nevada Conservancy, a state agency leading efforts
to protect natural ecosystems.

Not included in that estimate are the many planned projects on private
and federal land. The Eldorado National Forest had planned to perform
forest health work — tree thinning, brush clearing, and prescribed burns
— on 45,000 acres that the Caldor Fire covered this summer. And the
Forest Service has not yet tallied up the number of planned hazardous
fuels reduction projects burned by the 200,000-acre Monument Fire and
120,000-acre McFarland Fire in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, or
the 190,000-acre River Complex in the Klamath National Forest — the list
goes on and on...
- -
For Marsolais, the Eldorado Forest Supervisor, the biggest problem is
the lack of businesses to do the work on the ground, and make use of the
wood coming out of the forests. There’s currently no market for trees
salvaged from fires. The timber mills have more logs than they can
process coming in from torched private timberland. So workers pile up
enormous mounds of brush and logs, then burn them.
https://grist.org/wildfires/outpaced-wildfire-control-projects-are-burning-up-before-they-can-even-start/

[On Jimmy Kimmel]
*Dr. Katharine Hayhoe Teaches Us How to Talk to People Who Don’t Believe
in Climate Change*
Sep 22, 2021
Jimmy Kimmel Live
18.1M subscribers
Climate Scientist Dr. Hayhoe talks about living in Texas, how the issue
of climate change became Republican vs Democrat, which groups of
Americans we need to target to make change, fossil fuel companies paying
to spread disinformation, how to communicate with someone who doesn’t
believe in climate change, and her new book "Saving Us: A Climate
Scientist’s Case for Hope and Healing In A Divided World."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjmGVufADk

[Grist reviews the shows]
*Late-night shows took on the climate crisis. We ranked them from best
to worst.*
The “late” of late-night TV would seem to extend beyond its broadcast
time to the timeliness of its subject matter...
https://grist.org/culture/late-night-shows-took-on-the-climate-crisis-we-ranked-them-from-best-to-worst/

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming September 24, 2013*

September 24, 2013: MSNBC's Chris Hayes discusses how US climate-change
denial impacts and imperils the world.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/53099173/  (Part 1)
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/53099166/   (Part 2)

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry