[✔️] August 10, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Wed Aug 10 08:18:02 EDT 2022

/*August 10, 2022*/

/[ Global warming news from Bangor, Maine ] /
*Climate change has reversed 900 years of cooling in the Gulf of Maine*
by Christopher Burns
August 9, 2022
Nearly a millennium of cooling in the Gulf of Maine has been reversed
over the past century.

That’s the finding of a new study, published in the journal
Communications Earth and Environment, led by Massachusetts-based Woods
Hole Oceanographic Institution, co-written by the University of Maine
and funded by the National Science Foundation.

Scientists have long warned that the Gulf of Maine is warming faster
than most of the world’s oceans — 2021 was yet another year of record
warmth — but the lack of long-term records has made it difficult to
compare the 20th and 21st centuries to warming or cooling trends for
past periods.

The oldest records available come from a station in Boothbay Harbor,
where surface water temperatures have been tracked since 1905.

To overcome this absence of historical records, researchers used shells
from the ocean quahog clam from the western end of the gulf. The quahog
is well-suited as a proxy, because they have a long lifespan and grow
their shells in increments year after year, storing isotopes along the way.

For instance, oxygen isotopes from the shells can be used as proxies to
measure long-term changes in water temperatures and ocean salinity,
while nitrogen isotopes can be used as a proxy for water mass source.

“Combining precisely dated geochemical data from the clam shells with
state-of-the-art climate models provides a powerful method for
understanding climate change in the Gulf of Maine. We can see how local
conditions are influenced by large-scale patterns through time,” said
Karl Kreutz, co-author of the study, director of the School of Earth and
Climate Sciences and professor in the Climate Change Institute at the
University of Maine.

With 300 years worth of data from the clam shells, researchers ran it
through a 1,000-year climate model simulation, developed by the National
Center for Atmospheric Research. That showed the Gulf of Maine was
undergoing a long-term cooling trend over the millennium, mainly as a
result of volcanic activity.
But that underwent a “significant reversal” since the late 1800s, and
the past 100 years alone warmed faster than any other 100-year period
over the millennium.
“The climate changes that ecosystems and coastal communities are now
being forced to adapt to are different from what has occurred in the
recent past. That’s important to know when developing policies and
decision support tools,” Kreutz said.

It underscores the gravity of change happening in the Gulf of Maine,
which could have significant consequences for iconic fisheries like the
lobster.

A 2018 study from the Gulf of Maine Research Institute projected that
the gulf’s lobster population could decline between 40 percent and 62
percent by 2050. Other studies have found declines in the number of baby
lobsters, compared with mature lobsters. The zooplankton population in
the gulf has fallen as waters warm, and larval-stage lobster rely on
zooplankton to fuel their growing and changing bodies.

The warming waters have made the gulf more attractive to invasive
species such as the green and blue crabs, which may wreak havoc on local
ecosystems and native shellfish, including the lobster.

Any decline in the lobster population could have serious consequences
for Maine’s coastal economy. The 2021 catch was valued at a record $730
million, a more than $300 million increase over the year before. It’s
the state’s most significant fishery, accounting for 82 percent of the
$890 million in catches brought to the dock last year.
https://www.bangordailynews.com/2022/08/08/news/climate-change-gulf-of-maine-warming/

/[ The Guardian offers the best coverage of climate heating events ]/
*White House warns of ‘intensifying impacts of climate change’ as Biden
tours flood-hit Kentucky – as it happened*
Vivian Ho and Joanna Walters
Mon 8 Aug 2022
*US extreme weather 'reminder of intensifying impacts of climate change'
– White House*
On Joe Biden’s visit to flood-ravaged eastern Kentucky today he is not
just viewing the effects through the lens of a disaster needing federal
assistance but also through the lens of the climate crisis that is
making events like this more intense, more common and more deadly, in
America and around the world.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre addressed the issue in
her media briefing aboard Air Force One en route to Lexington with the
US president and first lady Jill Biden a little earlier.

“The floods in Kentucky and extreme weather all around the country are
yet another reminder of the intensifying and accelerating impacts of
climate change and the urgent need to invest in making our communities
more resilient to it,” she said.
Kentucky was hit by massive flash flooding in the last two weeks that
killed 37 people and caused mass destruction. The atypical rain storms
followed eight months after tornadoes killed almost three times that
many people in western Kentucky and many parts of the country are
suffering record heatwaves, drought and wildfire after an extreme 2021
in the American west.

Jean-Pierre of course emphasized the importance of the Senate vote
yesterday to pass the historic climate action bill , which she called
“so vital” alongside previous infrastructure legislation.

“Over the long term, these investments will save lives, reduce costs and
protect communities like the one we are visiting today,” she said. Biden
is due to land in Kentucky about now.
*Summary*
Amidst the flood damage, Joe Biden reiterated his commitment to Kentucky
and seeing the areas impacted by the catastrophic flooding that has
killed at least 37 set back to rights. “Everybody has an obligation to
help. We have the capacity to do this. It’s not like it’s beyond our
control,” Biden said. “The weather may be beyond our control for now,
but it’s not beyond our control and I promise you, we’re staying, the
federal government, along with the state and county and the city, we’re
staying until everybody is back to where they were.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2022/aug/08/biden-visits-kentucky-floods-senate-passes-739bn-healthcare-climate-bill-us-politics-latest-updates

/[ obvious and dangerous and what should we do? ]/
*Climate change could aggravate over half of known human pathogens,
scientists say*
That's every pathogenic disease discovered since the Roman Empire.
ByJulia Jacobo
August 08, 2022
Scientists have made a distressing discovery on how global warming will
affect known infectious diseases.

Climate hazards are expected to aggravate 58% of all known human
pathogens, according to a study published Monday in Nature Climate
Change. That's over half of infectious diseases discovered since the end
of the Roman Empire, Camilo Mora, a data analyst and associate professor
in the Department of Geography and Environment at the University of
Hawaii Manoa, told ABC News.

While the impact that climate change can have on human vulnerability to
a range of diseases has been well accepted, the full threat climate
change poses to humanity in the context of disease was unknown,
according to the researchers. Past studies have primarily focused on
specific groups of pathogens, such as bacteria or viruses, the response
to certain hazards, such as heatwaves or increased flooding, or
transmission types, such as food or water-borne.
Mora's team systematically screened literature that revealed 3,213
empirical cases linking 286 unique, human pathogenic diseases to 10
climate hazards, such as warming, floods or drought. Of these, 277
pathogens were found to be aggravated by at least one climate hazard,
with only nine pathogens "exclusively diminished" by climatic hazards,
according to the study...
A whopping 58% of an authoritative list of infectious diseases
documented to have impacted humanity have already been shown to be
aggravated by climatic hazards -- a finding the researchers found
"shocking," Mora said.

Examples of hazards include those that bring humans closer to pathogens,
such as storms and floods, which then cause displacements associated
with cases of Lassa fever or Legionnaires’ disease.

Other examples are events that bring pathogens closer to humans, in
which warming increases in areas over which organisms that transmit
diseases, such as Lyme disease, dengue and malaria, are active...
There is a broad taxonomic diversity of human pathogenic diseases, such
as bacteria, viruses, animals, plants, fungi and protozoa, as well as
transmission types -- for example, vector-borne, airborne, direct
contact -- that can be affected by warming, heat waves, droughts,
wildfires, extreme precipitation, floods and sea level rise, according
to the study.

Shifts in the geographical range of species are one of the most common
ecological indications of climate change, according to the study.
Warming and precipitation changes, for instance, were associated with
range expansion of vectors such as mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, birds and
several mammals, which then were implicated in outbreaks by viruses,
bacteria, animals and protozoans, including dengue, chikungunya, plague,
Lyme disease, West Nile virus, Zika, trypanosomiasis, echinococcosis and
malaria.

The researchers found 1,006 unique pathways in which climatic hazards,
via different transmission types, resulted in cases of pathogenic diseases.

Warming at higher latitudes have allowed vectors and pathogens to
survive winter, aggravating outbreaks by several viruses, such as an
anthrax outbreak in the Arctic circle that may have stemmed from an
ancient bacterial strain that emerged from an unearthed animal corpse as
the frozen ground thawed, according to the study.

COVID-19 is an example of how one single disease can create a thematic
change in society, Mora said, adding that he does not believe the most
recent pandemic -- and the animal-to-human transmission that likely
caused it -- could have happened without global warming.
This research reveals more evidence that humans will have difficulty
adapting to climate change, especially those in developing countries,
Mora said.

"The magnitude of the vulnerability when you think about one or two
diseases -- okay, sure, we can deal with that," he said. "But when
you're talking about 58% of the diseases, and 58% of those diseases can
be affected or triggered in 1,000 different ways. So that, to me, was
also revealing of the fact that we're not going to be able to adapt to
climate change."

Extreme weather events such as drought and wildfire in the West,
flooding in both inland and coastal areas and extreme heat in places
that previously did not experience such high temperatures are becoming
more common, Mora said.
This research reveals more evidence that humans will have difficulty
adapting to climate change, especially those in developing countries,
Mora said.

"The magnitude of the vulnerability when you think about one or two
diseases -- okay, sure, we can deal with that," he said. "But when
you're talking about 58% of the diseases, and 58% of those diseases can
be affected or triggered in 1,000 different ways. So that, to me, was
also revealing of the fact that we're not going to be able to adapt to
climate change."

Extreme weather events such as drought and wildfire in the West,
flooding in both inland and coastal areas and extreme heat in places
that previously did not experience such high temperatures are becoming
more common, Mora said...
https://abcnews.go.com/US/climate-change-aggravate-half-human-pathogens-scientists/story?id=88064762

/[ Watch out for stupidity ]/
*FAIR Perspectives Ep. 25 - Why America Is Uniquely Stupid w/ Jonathan
Haidt*
12,471 views  Premiered Aug 2, 2022  #JonathanHaidt #AngelEduardo
#MelissaChen #Beingprohuman #FAIRperspectives #Podcast #Activism
#Wokeness #Cancelculture #Censorship #democrats #republican #america
#americanculture

Our guest this week is Jonathan Haidt. Jonathan is a social
psychologist, professor, and author whose research examines the
intuitive foundations of morality, and how morality varies across
cultures—including the cultures of progressive, conservatives, and
libertarians. He is the author of The Happiness Hypothesis, and of The
New York Times bestsellers The Righteous Mind, and The Coddling of the
American Mind, which he co-authored with Greg Lukianoff.

We chat with Jonathan about his recent Atlantic article “Why the Past 10
Years of American Life Have Been Uniquely Stupid,” social media and its
effects on our discourse and culture, the need for a shared story, the
importance of dissent, the distinctions between liberalism and
conservatism, the global impact of America’s descent into what he calls
“structural stupidity,” and what measures we can take to improve it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Gvxpb-hQQ

/[ Yes, if global warming is what's causing ice to melt  ]/
*A volcano is erupting again in Iceland. Is climate change causing more
eruptions?*
by Heather Handley, The Conversation
AUGUST 8, 2022...
The eruption was expected. It's in a seismically active (uninhabited)
area, and came after several days of earthquake activity close to
Earth's surface. It's hard to say how long it will continue, although an
eruption in the same area last year lasted about six months.

Climate change is causing the widespread warming of our land, oceans and
atmosphere. Apart from this, it also has the potential to increase
volcanic activity, affect the size of eruptions, and alter the "cooling
effect" that follows volcanic eruptions...
- -
Research on Iceland's volcanic systems has identified a heightened
period of activity related to the large-scale ice melt at the end of the
last ice age. The average eruption rates were found to be up to 100
times higher after the end of the last glacial period, compared to the
earlier colder glacial period. Eruptions were also smaller when ice
cover was thicker.

But why is this the case? Well, as glaciers and ice sheets melt,
pressure is taken off Earth's surface and there are changes in the
forces (stress) acting on rocks within the crust and upper mantle. This
can lead to more molten rock, or "magma," being produced in the
mantle—which can feed more eruptions.

The changes can also affect where and how magma is stored in the crust,
and can make it easier for magma to reach the surface...

Magma generation beneath Iceland is already increasing due to a warming
climate and melting glaciers.
https://phys.org/news/2022-08-volcano-erupting-iceland-climate-eruptions.html

- -

/[ really - way back to 1996]/
*Papers on Geodesy and Gravity Tectonophysics*
The effect of deglaciation on mantle melting beneath Iceland
M. Jull,D. McKenzie
First published: 10 October 1996 https://doi.org/10.1029/96JB01308
*Abstract*
The spreading ridge on Iceland shows large variations in eruption rate
over the last 10,000 years. An increase of about 30 times the steady
state value, between 10,000 and 8000 years ago, coincides with the
disappearance of ice at the end of the last ice age. We examine the
possibility that deglaciation caused this increase by modeling the
effect on melt generation of the removal of an axisymmetric ice sheet
from a spreading ridge. Our calculations take into account the influence
of both a nonhydrostatic stress field and viscous flow. The results show
that the average melting rate is increased by about 30 times its steady
state value when a 2-km-thick ice sheet melts in 1000 years. The effect
of the glacial cycle of loading and unloading is to cause a nonlinear
modulation in the melt production. The factor of 30 increase in melt
generation during the 1-kyr unloading can occur only because melt
generation is reduced for about 60 kyr after the ice load is applied.
The total volume of magma that can be produced from the deglaciation of
Iceland is about 3100 km3. The concentrations of the light rare earth
elements in the melt produced by deglaciation near the center of the ice
sheet are about 15% less than those in melts produced by steady state
melting. Transport time for the melt to reach the surface is not yet
well constrained but is likely to be less than ∼1 kyr...
Key Points
-- We model the magmatic response to the last deglaciation in Iceland
with finite melt ascent velocity
-- The model results compared with observations suggest that the melt
ascent velocity is likely to be around 100 m/year
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/96JB01308

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*August 10, 2013*/

    August 10, 2013:
    CBS News reports on a new study linking rising temperatures to more
    violence.
    Climate change may increase violence, new study finds

    BY SHOSHANA DAVIS

    AUGUST 10, 2013 / 1:12 PM / CBS NEWS

    (CBS News) A new study found that climate change may cause people to
    be more violent.

    The study draws a link between increased rates of domestic violence,
    assault and other violent crimes and a warming climate and says that
    aggression can be associated with higher temperatures.

    Researchers re-analyzed 60 studies from recent decades that look at
    human behavior going back as far as 10,000 years ago. They
    considered violence on a large scale, such as war, and on a smaller
    scale such as aggression in baseball stadiums during the summer.

    "Scientists found that as soon as you move off of the average of
    either temperature or rainfall by a certain amount you get an uptick
    in small-scale violence, one-on-one or little bar brawls of 4
    percent, and you get large-scale violence increasing 14 percent,"
    said Time magazine senior science editor Jeffrey Kluger on "CBS This
    Morning: Saturday." "And that's where you talk about governments
    collapsing and large-scale riots."

    The study said that a global temperature increase of just 2 degrees
    Celsius could increase inter-group conflicts, such as civil wars, by
    more than 50 percent.

    "By the time we get to 2050, if we don't start to bring back CO2
    now, that's where we'll be, and we're facing that kind of unrest
    down the line," said Kluger. "One of the things to keep in mind,
    also, is this is worse in areas, say, with worse economies and parts
    of the developing world because they're on a razor's edge to begin
    with, so any disruption is going to be enough to tip them."

    However, Kluger said that there could be other variables and it
    might not just be about increased heat.

    "Summer, for example, has always been a time of increased crime,
    increased domestic violence, increased riots in cities, but how do
    you control for the fact that there's more hours of daylight, which
    means more time to be outside making mischief; kids are on the
    street, and you have more kids who are out of school," said Kluger.
    "And yet we also know personally that in a hot subway station we're
    more short-tempered, in a traffic jam we're more short-tempered.
    Studies show that police officers on shooting ranges tend to shoot
    their guns more precipitously when it's too hot in the shooting range."

    For Jeffery Kluger's full interview, watch the video in the player
    /[on the web page below]./

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-may-increase-violence-new-study-finds/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*