[✔️] August 15, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest.

Mon Aug 15 07:57:56 EDT 2022

/*August 15, 2022*/

/[ TODAY show video - moving toward climate safety ]
/*Americans Moving To Places More Resistant To Climate Change*
Aug 13, 2022  A growing number of Americans say fires, floods, drought
and climate change are making them rethink where they want to live. Most
people move for a new job, better opportunity but some are packing up in
search of a sense of relief. NBC’s Anne Thompson reports for Saturday TODAY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pADNowkcmI

/[ PBS on marine heatwaves --  4 min video ]/
*Climate change is worsening heat waves in oceans. Here's why that's a
problem*
Aug 14, 2022  This summer has seen record-high temperatures around the
world, but the damaging effects of heat do not stop at the water's edge.
In Europe, the Mediterranean Sea has been experiencing elevated
temperatures since May, with deadly consequences for delicate underwater
ecosystems. Ali Rogin reports.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgwKEC-sVY/

/[ physicists say it "isn't as stable and protected as we once thought." ]/
*World's biggest ice sheet could cause massive sea rise without action:
study*
AUGUST 13, 2022
The world's biggest ice sheet could cause "several meters" of sea-level
rise over centuries if the global temperature rises more than 2°C,
according to a British study published Wednesday.

Researchers at Durham University concluded that if global greenhouse
emissions remain high, the melting East Antarctica Ice Sheet (EAIS)
could cause nearly half a meter of sea-level rise by 2100. Their
analysis was published in the scientific journal Nature.

If emissions remain high beyond that, the EAIS could contribute around
one to three meters to global sea levels by 2300, and two to five meters
by 2500, they said.

However, if emissions were dramatically reduced, EAIS could contribute
around two centimeters of sea level rise by 2100, according to the
assessment.

This would represent far less than the ice loss expected from Greenland
and West Antarctica.

"A key conclusion from our analysis is that the fate of the East
Antarctic Ice Sheet remains very much in our hands," said lead author
Chris Stokes, from Durham University's Department of Geography.

"This ice sheet is by far the largest on the planet, containing the
equivalent of 52 meters of sea level and it's really important that we
do not awaken this sleeping giant.

"Restricting global temperature increases to below the 2°C limit set by
the Paris Climate Agreement should mean that we avoid the worst-case
scenarios, or perhaps even halt the melting of the East Antarctic Ice
Sheet, and therefore limit its impact on global sea level rise," he added.

Computer simulations
The study did note that the worst scenarios projected were "very unlikely".

World leaders agreed at the 2015 UN Climate Change Conference in Paris
to limit global warming to well below 2°C and pursue efforts to limit
the rise to 1.5°C.

The research team, which included scientists from the UK, Australia,
France and the US, analyzed how the ice sheet responded to past warm
periods when making their predictions.

They ran computer simulations to model the effects of different
greenhouse gas emission levels and temperatures on the ice sheet by the
years 2100, 2300 and 2500.

They found evidence to suggest that three million years ago, when
temperatures were around 2-4°C higher than present, part of the EAIS
"collapsed and contributed several meters to sea-level rise".

"Even as recently as 400,000 years ago—not that long ago on geological
timescales—there is evidence that a part of the EAIS retreated 700 km
inland in response to only 1-2°C of global warming," they added.

Nerilie Abram, a co-author of the study from the Australian National
University in Canberra, warned the sheet "isn't as stable and protected
as we once thought."
https://phys.org/news/2022-08-world-biggest-ice-sheet-massive.html

/[ politics from Lizzy Kolbert,  "Even money...seems an insufficient
explanation"  ]/
*How Did Fighting Climate Change Become a Partisan Issue?*
Twenty years ago, Senator John McCain tried to spearhead an effort. What
has happened to Republicans since then?
By Elizabeth Kolbert
In January, 2000, during the run-up to the New Hampshire primaries,
Presidential candidates in the Granite State were confronted by a young
man—a recent Dartmouth graduate—wearing a red cape, orange long johns,
and yellow-painted galoshes. He called himself Captain Climate, and
asked any candidate within shouting distance, “What’s your plan?” All
the candidates ignored him, except one.

That candidate was John McCain, then the senior United States senator
from Arizona. McCain went on to win New Hampshire’s Republican primary
and then to lose the nomination to George W. Bush. He had been troubled
enough by the shouted question that he returned to Washington that
spring and held a series of hearings on climate change. At the first
hearing, he apologized for not having a plan to deal with the problem,
but said that everyone—especially policymakers—should be “concerned
about mounting evidence.” “I had a genuine sense that he wanted to know
the best information,” Kevin Trenberth, a scientist from the National
Center for Atmospheric Research who testified at one of the hearings,
later recalled.

McCain then did come up with a plan. With Senator Joseph Lieberman,
Democrat of Connecticut, he introduced a bill to impose an economy-wide
limit on carbon-dioxide emissions. The Climate Stewardship Act, as it
became known, was modelled on legislation that had been approved a
decade earlier, under President George H. W. Bush, which had used a
so-called cap-and-trade program to curb the emissions that cause acid
rain. In 2003, McCain managed to force a floor vote on the bill, over
the objections of Senate leaders. It failed, even though McCain and five
other Republicans voted for it. Ten Democrats voted against it. (Joe
Biden, then a senator from Delaware, was a “yea.”) McCain said, “We’ve
lost a big battle today, but we’ll win over time, because climate change
is real.”

Last week, the Senate finally approved a bill that aims to limit carbon
emissions—the Inflation Reduction Act. It has been called “the most
important climate action in U.S. history,” which is certainly true; the
act provides more than three hundred and fifty billion dollars—mostly in
the form of tax credits—to promote clean energy. This time, the vote was
strictly along party lines: all fifty Democrats voted for it, all fifty
Republicans against it. (Vice-President Kamala Harris cast the
tie-breaking vote.) On Friday, the House passed the bill, also with no
Republican votes. These days, it seems practically every vote in
Congress is along party lines, so the votes on the I.R.A. weren’t
considered surprising. But they should have been.

As a problem, climate change is as bipartisan as it gets: it will have
equally devastating effects in red states as in blue. Last week, even as
Kentucky’s two Republican senators—Rand Paul and the Minority Leader,
Mitch McConnell—were voting against the I.R.A., rescuers in their state
were searching for the victims of catastrophic floods caused by
climate-change-supercharged rain. Meanwhile, most of Texas, whose two
G.O.P. senators—Ted Cruz and John Cornyn—also voted against the bill,
was suffering under “extreme” or “exceptional” drought.

How did caring about a drowned or desiccated future come to be a
partisan issue? Perhaps the simplest answer is money. A report put out
two years ago by the Senate Democrats’ Special Committee on the Climate
Crisis noted, “In the 2000s, several bipartisan climate bills were
circulating in the Senate.” Then, in 2010, the Supreme Court, in the
Citizens United decision, ruled that corporations and wealthy donors
could, effectively, pour unlimited amounts of cash into electioneering.
Fossil-fuel companies quickly figured out how to funnel money through
front groups, which used it to reward the industry’s friends and to
punish its enemies. After Citizens United, according to the report,
“bipartisan activity on comprehensive climate legislation collapsed.”

When it comes to direct contributions, the top recipient of fossil-fuel
money in Congress this election cycle has been Senator Joe Manchin,
Democrat of West Virginia. Manchin killed off earlier iterations of the
climate bill, and inserted into this version most of its worst
provisions, including a mandate that the federal government auction
millions of acres for oil and gas drilling. Among the top twenty
recipients of oil and gas money are three other Democrats: Senator
Kyrsten Sinema, of Arizona, and Representatives Henry Cuellar and Lizzie
Fletcher, of Texas. The rest are Republicans.

Even money, though, seems an insufficient explanation. The G.O.P.’s
opposition to action on climate change has transcended crass calculation
to become an article of faith. Several red states, including Texas and
Louisiana, have taken steps to penalize financial firms that say they
are reducing their investments in fossil fuels, even though these steps
are likely to cost the states’ taxpayers money. As the I.R.A. was headed
toward a vote, the Wall Street Journal reported that congressional
Republicans were pressuring fossil-fuel companies to take a stronger
stand against the bill. G.O.P. lawmakers, according to the Journal, had
“become frustrated” by the oil companies’ support for some measures to
combat climate change, and so they took to lobbying the lobbyists.

The I.R.A. has many flaws. Though it’s been widely reported that, by
2030, it will reduce the U.S.’s emissions by forty per cent compared
with their levels in 2005, most of this projected reduction is
attributable to other developments, including the fact that many power
plants have already switched from coal to lower-emitting natural gas.
But one of the bill’s many benefits is that it could finally break the
partisan logjam. Today, roughly five hundred thousand Americans work in
the petroleum industry, and another two hundred thousand work in the
natural-gas sector. This represents a significant constituency for
maintaining the fossil-fuel-powered status quo. If the I.R.A. functions
as hoped, however, it will create hundreds of thousands of jobs in clean
energy and, with them, a growing constituency for climate action. Among
the bill’s provisions is a ten-per-cent “bonus” tax credit for companies
that situate clean-energy projects in communities where coal-fired
plants have been shuttered, or where a lot of people now work extracting
oil or gas.

Perhaps when the next climate bill comes up for a vote, lawmakers from
West Virginia, Kentucky, and Texas, whatever party they hail from, will
be leading the charge. And let us hope that there is another bill,
because, as was already clear twenty years ago, climate change is real.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/08/22/how-did-fighting-climate-change-become-a-partisan-issue

/[ Shameless politics --  The Inflation Reduction Act is a SMALL
FRACTION of what is needed.  And yes, thank you and high praise - but
the present and future calamities come from physical reality -- not
politics.  Our painful lessons will be increasingly intense. Humans will
strive to survive, governments will be useful, or not. ] /
*Biden's Chief of Staff GOES IN on Republicans in must-see takedown*
Aug 14, 2022  INTERVIEW: Brian interviews White House Chief of Staff Ron
Klain about Biden’s win with the Inflation Reduction Act, the disconnect
between these wins and the president's approval rating, how the abortion
vote in Kansas changes things moving forward, and whether Biden knows
about the Dark Brandon memes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48cWQ9I8TOI

/[  Less bad than expected  - see the link ]/
*Wildfire acres burned to date in United States (outside Alaska) is
lower than average*
Bill Gabbert
August 13, 2022
It seemed to me that over the last few weeks the wildfire activity has
been slower than typical for this time of the year, so I did a little
digging. Using historical data from the National Interagency Fire Center
and acres burned to date from the August 13 national Situation Report,
it turns out that Alaska has burned nearly three times their 10-year
to-date average while the other 49 states combined are running 12
percent below the to-date average.

Over the last 10 years Alaska’s average acres burned in a full year is
1.1 million. This year they are at 3.1 million, more than the other 49
states combined. There has been a major increase in Alaska acres burned
after mid-August in only 2 of the last 18 years. And it has been fairly
quiet there, fire wise, for the last four weeks.

So far this year, fires in the other 49 states have blackened about 2.8
million acres, 12 percent below the to-date 10-year average of 3.2
million. The 49 states typically burn 6.2 million in a full year, so if
this year turns out like the average of the last 10, we’re about half
done...
https://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/August_outlook.png

/[ Just Have a Think -  weekly video report/ ]
*Are EVs really better for the climate?*
15,762 views  Aug 14, 2022  Electric vehicles are rapidly growing in
popularity as the number of different options has increased dramatically
over the last couple of years and prices are beginning to move towards
parity with internal combustion engine cars. But once all the carbon
costs of extracting, processing and manufacturing are taken into
account, how much lower is the overall lifetime carbon footprint of an
EV compared to and ICE car? And for that matter, what's the carbon
footprint of all the other types of transport we use in modern society?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7U6Cj_2aI

/[ Young couple escape to Panama to start a new life....video series -
sponsored ]/
*The End Of Off Grid Living*
Aug 14, 2022  We roast coffee from Panama. Check it out here:
https://www.themorningmovementcoffee....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGEWivFdnrc

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*August 15, 2004*/
August 15, 2004: In the New York Times, Al Gore reviews Ross Gelbspan's
"Boiling Point: How Politicians, Big Oil and Coal, Journalists, and
Activists Are Fueling the Climate Crisis -- and What We Can Do to Avert
Disaster," the follow-up to his seminal 1997 book "The Heat Is On: The
Climate Crisis, the Cover-Up, the Prescription."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/books/hot-enough-for-us.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

http://www.amazon.com/Boiling-Point-Politicians-Journalists-Crisis--And/dp/0465027628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387936832&sr=8-1&keywords=boiling+point+ross+gelbspan

http://www.amazon.com/The-Heat-Is-On-Prescription/dp/0738200255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387936855&sr=8-1&keywords=the+heat+is+on+ross+gelbspan

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*