[✔️] August 31, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Wed Aug 31 08:17:40 EDT 2022

/*August 31, 2022*/

/[ Los Angeles heat wave - expect 115 degrees ]/
*SoCal’s worst heat wave of the year: What’s the timing, who will be hit
hardest?*
BY ALEXANDRA E. PETRI
AUG. 30, 2022
September is bringing searing heat across Southern California, and
forecasters are predicting record-setting temperatures.

 From Wednesday through Labor Day weekend, the National Weather Service
predicts temperatures could reach as high as 115 degrees in some parts
of Southern California. It will be the region’s longest and warmest heat
wave of the year, said David Sweet, a meteorologist at the National
Weather Service in Oxnard. The conditions are expected to last through
Monday, though “we don’t see an end to it right now,” Sweet said...
*Timing and Conditions*
An excessive heat watch is in effect from 11 a.m. Wednesday to 8 p.m.
Monday across much of Southern California, including Los Angeles County,
Ventura County and the southern Santa Barbara County coast.
For Riverside, Orange and San Bernardino counties, the warning takes
effect at 10 a.m. Tuesday and lasts through 8 p.m. Monday.

Sweet said the valleys, mountains, foothills and deserts will bear the
brunt of the heat across L.A. and Ventura counties. From Wednesday
through Monday, any one of those days, temperatures could reach as high
as 115 degrees...
- -
*Fire danger*
Along with the hot temperatures, the forecast includes very low
humidity. Together, that creates an elevated fire danger, said Jon
Heggie, a battalion chief with the California Department of Forestry and
Fire Protection. Fuel moisture, or the amount of water in potential fuel
such as vegetation, is “starting to hit rock bottom” across the state,
Heggie said.

He added that in parts of Southern California, the fuel moisture is
below historical averages.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-30/heat-wave-southern-california-labor-day-weekend

/[  PBS reports on Pakistan flooding - video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsU2Z0zUjZE&t=941s  ] /
*PBS NewsHour live episode, Aug. 30, 2022*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsU2Z0zUjZE&t=941s

/[  Yale says to relax with a video game -- yet stay engaged with the
real world  ]/
*We are pleased to announce a new report, “What Do Video Gamers Think
About Global Warming?”* This report presents results from a national
survey, conducted in partnership with Unity (the world’s leading
platform for creating and operating interactive, real-time 3D (RT3D)
content) investigating global warming knowledge, attitudes, policy
preferences, and behavior among video game players in the United States.

Video games have become one of humanity’s favorite forms of
entertainment, with an estimated 3 billion players worldwide. People of
all ages, nationalities, genders, and socioeconomic statuses play video
games. Games can raise public climate change awareness and knowledge,
simulate potential climate futures, and provide training in climate
solutions, including emissions reduction and disaster preparedness, all
within a fun environment.

Our study finds that video gamers are similar to Americans overall in
many of their beliefs and attitudes regarding global warming. About
three in four video gamers (73%) think global warming is happening, and
the majority of video gamers (56%) understand that it is mostly
human-caused. These proportions are nearly identical to the proportions
in the U.S. population overall, as measured in our Climate Change in the
American Mind study conducted in April and May of 2022 (72% of Americans
said global warming is happening, 56% said it is human-caused). - -
However, video gamers are much more willing to take action to address
global warming than Americans overall. A majority of video gamers (55%)
say they either “often” or "occasionally" discuss global warming with
family and friends, compared with only about one in three Americans
overall (33%). Moreover, video gamers are more likely to say they would
sign a petition about global warming (59% vs. 51%), volunteer their time
(49% vs. 32%) or donate (48% vs. 31%) to an organization working on
global warming, contact government officials about global warming (45%
vs. 29%), support an organization engaging in non-violent civil
disobedience (44% vs. 27%) meet with an elected official or their staff
(41% vs. 27%), or personally engage in non-violent civil disobedience
(38% vs. 17%).
- -
We also find that many video gamers are already engaging with global
warming content in games. About one in five video gamers (22%) have seen
or heard content related to global warming as part of gaming in the last
12 months, either as a topic in a game they have played (16%) or in a
video gaming stream they have watched (16%). Additionally, about one in
eight gamers (13%) say they took actions based on the content they
learned about global warming in a game or gaming stream...- -
The full report includes these and many other important results,
including video gamers’ perceptions of global warming risks, perceived
social norms, beliefs about the gaming industry’s responsibility to
address the issue, engagement with global warming in media, trusted
information sources, and level of interest in global warming-related
topics. We hope this research will help the video game community,
including game companies, designers, programmers, journalists, and
players (among others) better understand the gaming user base and
identify opportunities to engage them in climate science and solutions...

- -

*What Do Video Gamers Think About Global Warming?*
By Anthony Leiserowitz, Jennifer Carman, Marina Psaros, Liz Neyens, Seth
Rosenthal, Jennifer Marlon and Malika Srivastava -- Aug 30, 2022

This report presents results from a national survey, conducted as a
partnership between the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and
Unity (the world’s leading platform for creating and operating
interactive, real-time 3D (RT3D) content), investigating climate change
knowledge, attitudes, policy preferences, and behavior among video game
players in the United States. Interview dates: May 30 – June 7, 2022.
Interviews: 2,034 U.S. adults (18+) in the United States who play video
games. Funding for this research was made available through the Unity
Charitable Fund at the Tides Foundation.

Video games have become one of humanity’s favorite forms of
entertainment, with an estimated 3 billion players worldwide. People of
all ages, nationalities, genders, and socioeconomic statuses play, and
it is this broad and extensive reach that creates an enormous
opportunity to address climate change. Through games, players can
acquire new knowledge about the climate crisis and can be empowered to
take individual and collective action at any scale and in any location.
Members of the broad ecosystem of game developers, climate planners,
activists, and communicators are excited about the potential of the
video gaming community, but don’t yet understand how to best engage with
it. This study helps lay a foundation for engagement that the gaming
community can build on.

This research will help the video game community, including game
companies, designers, programmers, journalists, and players (among
others) better understand the gaming user base and identify
opportunities to engage them in climate science and solutions.

https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/what-do-video-gamers-think-about-global-warming/

/[ Hollywood Reporter --- movie festivals during heat, drought and
wildfires -   ]/
*“Europe Is Burning” – Can Film Fests Adapt to Climate Change?*
A summer of severe weather prompts calls for urgent action: "The
industry will need to rethink the way we do everything because this is
the new normal now."
BY SCOTT ROXBOROUGH
AUGUST 29, 2022
- -
Portugal and Spain. In Asia, torrential rainfall led to flash flooding
in Seoul, Korea, where more than a dozen people drowned in their
Parasite-style basement apartments. On Aug. 13 in Valencia, Spain, one
person was killed and 17 others injured when a strong gust of wind
collapsed a stage at the Medusa Music Festival. Climate science points
to a future where such extremes become more common and more intense as
the planet warms...
So for a film industry rushing to return to in-person festivals after
the enforced hiatus of the coronavirus pandemic, the weather no longer
is a question of fashion. It’s become an existential crisis.

When temperatures in parts of France topped 104 degrees Fahrenheit in
June, local governments banned outdoor public events, including concerts
and large public gatherings, a move that would shut down any major
festival in the area. Elsewhere, the extreme heat threatened the
infrastructure on which any festival relies. Trains throughout Britain
were delayed or canceled when record temperatures threatened to buckle
the tracks. London narrowly avoided a blackout after electricity surges
— driven by the spike in air-conditioning use during the summer heat
wave — nearly shut down the city’s grid (London only avoided collapse by
quickly buying electricity, at a 5,000 percent markup, from Belgium).

“We all watch the news, we know what is happening, but most in the movie
business continue to act as if [the climate crisis] doesn’t exist,” says
Julien Tricard, founder of France’s médiaClub’Green, which deals with
the impact of climate change on the film industry. “But as the events of
this summer have shown, Europe is burning. The industry will need to
rethink the way they do everything because this is the new normal now.”

So far, extreme weather has not disrupted the festival season. Cannes
was held successfully — and comfortably — in late May, just before
Europe’s heat wave hit. Venice, which kicks off Aug. 31, and Toronto’s
TIFF, which starts Sept. 8, appear to have avoided the most severe
summer climate. Similarly, the weather for the later fall festivals —
San Sebastian, Zurich, Busan and London — hopefully will be cooler, and
calmer, than what has transpired from June through August...
- -
“We have to put our focus on what we can control, regardless of the
worldwide conditions,” says Brunschwig, “and I think what film festivals
can do, what is in our power, is to raise awareness of the urgency of
the climate crisis and to promote and bring attention to films that do
just that.”

But there are measures festivals could take right now to help ameliorate
the worst effects of severe heat and other climate extremes. After this
sweltering summer, unions in traditionally cooler countries in Northern
Europe have called on employers to restructure the working day, taking
their cues from approaches in the south, where hotter temperatures are
more the norm. Suggestions include taking longer lunch breaks or
traditional Spanish siestas in the afternoon to avoid working during the
hottest part of the day. Transferred to the festival world, this could
mean scheduling more screenings late at night or early in the morning,
when things are cooler, or loosening black-tie requirements for galas to
avoid heatstroke on the red (hot) carpet.

“We have to think out of the box, to completely rethink how we do
things, how we plan these events,” says Mathieu Delahousse, a co-founder
of Eco Tournage, a consultancy that provides green solutions for
production companies and the audiovisual industry. “And we have to act
now because the risk, and the cost, is only going to go up the longer we
wait.”

Already, Delahousse notes, insurance companies are recalculating the
risks connected to climate change, factoring in everything from the
destruction caused by extreme weather to the medical costs arising from
cases of heatstroke or dehydration at large public events.

“In the next five years there will be a huge recalculation regarding
insurance, and policies will go up,” he notes.

But despite the dire outlook, and the climate science that points to
things getting worse before they can get better, Delahousse is
optimistic the film industry will find a way.

“When we take things seriously, this industry can be incredibly
adaptive, incredibly flexible,” he says. “Look at the coronavirus. In
six months, we found a new way of doing things that were unthinkable
just a year earlier. The moment we take the climate crisis as seriously
as we did the coronavirus, we can change.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/film-festivals-adapt-climate-change-1235199621/
/This story first appeared in the Aug. 17 issue of The Hollywood
Reporter magazine. /

/[ The essence of the bicycle - experiment of slow speed.   Volts
interview Dave Roberts ]/
*The many social and psychological benefits of low-car cities*
A podcast discussion with Melissa and Chris Bruntlett about living in
Delft, Netherlands.
David Roberts - AUG 29, 2022
In 2010, Chris and Melissa Bruntlett sold their cars and began
transporting their family of four around Vancouver, BC, by bike. They
noticed that bicyclists’ stories were not being told, so they started
blogging about their carless lifestyle at the website of what would
become their creative agency, Modacity.

Through cycling circles, they heard stories and saw pictures of cycling
in Dutch cities, so they went to the Netherlands to check it out,
visiting five cities to study cycling infrastructure, talk with local
leaders, and share pictures, videos, and articles.

They ended up gathering enough material for a book, which was released
in August 2018: Building the Cycling City: The Dutch Blueprint for Urban
Vitality. (I interviewed them about the book for Vox.)

Melissa and Chris Bruntlett.
The success of the book led to a global speaking tour. That tour led to
job offers for both of them — for him, at the Dutch Cycling Embassy; for
her, at a consultancy called Mobycon — both with offices located in
Delft, a small city in the southwest of the Netherlands.

So in 2019, they uprooted from Vancouver yet again, to move to Delft.
Their experiences there over the following months were so intense and
eye-opening that they launched into another book, this one an attempt to
explain why low-car cities like Delft produce such a wide range of
social and health benefits.

Why did they find it so much easier to meet their neighbors? Why did
their kids enjoy so much more autonomy and safety? Why did they feel so
much more connected and calm?

_Curbing Traffic: The Human Case for Fewer Cars in Our Lives_
In their new book, Curbing Traffic: The Human Case for Fewer Cars in Our
Lives, they walk through each of these feelings and experiences in turn,
explaining why low-car cities facilitate them, and how other cities can
reform their streets to capture some of these benefits. They review the
research on why low-car cities are so much better for women, children,
the elderly, the disabled, and ultimately, everyone else.

Reading the book was a joy for me, since it gathered research in support
of theories that I have had about cars and human behavior for ages. I'm
excited to talk to Melissa and Chris about how to design streets for
people, the connection between urban infrastructure and social trust,
the flourishing that Dutch children enjoy, and the myriad evils of cars.
https://www.volts.wtf/p/the-many-social-and-psychological?utm_source=podcast-email&utm_medium=email#details

/[  Video interview with authors https://youtu.be/B1wc6woWUw0 ]/
*Authors Melissa Bruntlett & Chris Bruntlett on Curbing Traffic*
Jun 28, 2021  Authors Melissa Bruntlett & Chris Bruntlett preview their
book Curbing Traffic: The Human Case for Fewer Cars in Our Lives Traffic

For details and to order the book, visit:
https://islandpress.org/books/curbing-traffic
- -
In Curbing Traffic: The Human Case for Fewer Cars in Our Lives, mobility
experts Melissa and Chris Bruntlett chronicle their experience living in
the Netherlands and the benefits that result from treating cars as
visitors rather than owners of the road. They weave their personal story
with research and interviews with experts and Delft locals to help
readers share the experience of living in a city designed for people.

Their insights will help decision makers and advocates to better
understand and communicate the human impacts of low-car cities: lower
anxiety and stress, increased independence, social autonomy, inclusion,
and improved mental and physical wellbeing.

Curbing Traffic provides relatable, emotional, and personal reasons why
it matters and inspiration for exporting the low-car city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1wc6woWUw0&t=2s

/[ video -- comic on global warming ]/
*How Do You Get People to Act on Climate Change? - The Jim Jefferies Show*
Jun 12, 2019  The effects of climate change will be absolutely horrific,
so Jim’s doing his best to get Trump to give a crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjMrRgCbT1M*
*

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*August 31, 1988*/
August 31, 1988: Vice President and GOP presidential candidate George H.
W. Bush declares that those who think people are powerless to combat the
"greenhouse effect" are forgetting about "the White House effect."
(Twenty-one years later, James Hansen would note in his book "Storms of
My Grandchildren" that Bush's chief of staff, John Sununu, tried to have
him fired from NASA.)

http://c-spanvideo.org/x1mc/

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-09-01/news/mn-4551_1_george-bush

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*