[✔️] December 20, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Tue Dec 20 10:42:57 EST 2022

/*December 20, 2022*/

/[ Xmas ritual changes as warming increases ] /
*‘They all dried up.’ Drought, climate change take toll on Christmas trees.*
By Dharna Noor Globe Staff
December 19, 2022,
This past spring, Michael Smolak and his team planted more than 4,000
Christmas trees on their farm in North Andover, expecting to sell them
to customers come late fall. But within a few months, every single one
was dead.

“They all dried up,” he said.
The culprit behind all those dead trees: Drought, which hit New England
hard this past summer and which experts say was likely exacerbated by
climate change. By July, 94 percent of Massachusetts was under moderate
drought conditions or worse. Nearby states were pummeled, too.

“In all my years that I’ve been doing this — and I’ve been doing this
for over 50 years — I’ve never seen such such a deep drought,” Smolak said.
- -
Jim Lattanzi, president of Hollis Hills Farm in Fitchburg, whose
Christmas tree acreage is irrigated, experienced minimal losses this
year. Of the 6,000 trees his team planted, they lost only about 250 —
which were grown on the farm’s only non-irrigated plot.

Irrigation systems can contribute to global warming as many are powered
by planet-heating fossil fuels, but they can run on renewable energy.
Installing watering systems can also be expensive — Lattanzi said his
system cost hundreds of thousands of dollars — but he noted that the
Natural Resources Conservation Service has a program that helps cover
the cost.
Smolak says he expects to see more Christmas tree farms change their
business models to better adapt to the changing climate. Some may import
more trees for sale, while others will pivot to “agricultural tourism”
and sell dairy products, sleigh rides through their farms, and baked
goods. But he’s not sure what exactly the future of his industry will
look like.

“What the future brings for Christmas trees, I’m really uncertain,” he said.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12/19/science/they-all-dried-up-drought-climate-change-take-toll-christmas-trees/

/[ brief conjecture with a commercial sponsorship - starts 1:45 in ]/
*What If California Runs Out Of Water Entirely? The Megadrought*
What If Geography
   Dec 19, 2022
California is back under severe drought conditions. With its largest
reservoirs   starting to empty out, residents and farms are going to
start feeling the water pinch unless something changes soon. But while
many states are currently suffering from the Mega Drought, California
does have one ace up its sleeve: desalination. So what if California
runs out of water entirely?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vfQvCv2h3Y

- -

/[ visible from way outside our solar system]/
*Megadrought on Earth affected gravity waves at the edge of space*
By Elizabeth Rayne published December 19, 2022
Drought on Earth probably had an effect on the furthest reaches of the
atmosphere...
- -
An intense drought that has persisted on Earth for over two decades is
now thought to have affected gravity waves where our planet's atmosphere
meets outer space.

The discovery happened by chance as a region in the southwest U.S.
transitioned to drought conditions in 2000. Researchers Chester Gardner
of the University of Illinois and Chiao-Yao She of Colorado State
University were already keeping an eye on the upper reaches of Earth's
atmosphere with LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) when they observed a
30% decrease in gravity waves after the Southwestern North American
(SWNA) megadrought began.
- -
No one had previously made a connection between changes in weather in
the lower atmosphere and subsequent changes in the upper atmosphere.
While She and Gardner cautiously state that more research is still
needed, their observations can set the bar for future computer models
that track atmospheric changes that LIDAR can detect...
https://www.space.com/drought-on-earth-affects-space-gravity-waves

/[ One place to escape to is Michigan ]/
*5 things to know about Michigan as a climate haven*
Dec. 18, 2022,
In a warming world, Michigan stands out as a relative winner.
With protection from the Great Lakes, Michigan will be spared from some
of the worst effects of climate change,...$
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/12/5-things-to-know-about-michigan-as-a-climate-haven.html

/[  Ask Artificial Intelligence - answers my question via chat.openAI.com ]/
*"Is the sinking of the Titanic a valid metaphor for human responses to
global warming?"*

    The sinking of the Titanic is often used as a metaphor for human
    it highlights the dangers of ignoring warning signs and failing to
    take action in the face of potential disaster. The Titanic was
    considered to be an unsinkable ship, and many people believed that
    it was immune to the dangers that other ships faced. However,
    despite numerous warnings about icebergs in the area, the ship's
    crew and passengers did not take sufficient precautions, and the
    ship ultimately struck an iceberg and sank.
    This metaphor can be applied to global warming in several ways. Like
    the Titanic, the Earth is facing numerous warning signs of impending
    disaster, such as rising sea levels, increasing temperatures, and
    more frequent and severe natural disasters. However, like the
    passengers and crew of the Titanic, many people are ignoring these
    warning signs or failing to take sufficient action to address the
    problem. If we do not take action to reduce our greenhouse gas
    emissions and address the root causes of global warming, we risk
    facing a similar fate to that of the Titanic.

https://chat.openai.com/chat
- -
/[ regenerated response ]/

    The sinking of the Titanic has sometimes been used as a metaphor for
    human responses to global warming, particularly in reference to the
    idea that individuals and society as a whole may be slow to
    recognize and address the potential consequences of climate change.
    Like the Titanic, which was thought to be unsinkable but ultimately
    met with disaster, the earth's climate may be vulnerable to
    unforeseen consequences if we do not take action to address the
    causes of global warming.

    However, it is important to note that the metaphor of the Titanic is
    not a perfect one, as the sinking of the ship was caused by a
    specific event (namely, the collision with an iceberg) rather than a
    slow-moving, complex process like climate change. Additionally, the
    metaphor does not capture the many ways in which individuals and
    organizations are already working to address climate change and
    mitigate its impacts.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

/[The news archive - looking back at the insights of 1983 ]/
/*December 20, 1983*/
December 20, 1983: PBS airs "Climate Crisis: The Greenhouse Effect," a
"NOVA" special on global warming featuring Tennessee Rep. Al Gore.

http://youtu.be/T8JlBkOe6HU

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/06/24/movies/earth-s-climatic-crisis-examined-by-nova.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli