[✔️] January 1, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jan 1 07:44:21 EST 2022

/*January 1, 2022*/

/[  NYTimes ] /
*Colorado Wildfire Burns Hundreds of Homes and Forces Evacuations*
December 30, 2021
The authorities are urging tens of thousands of people across parts of
Boulder County, Colo., to leave as quickly as possible as the grassfires
continue to burn.
https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000008141342/colorado-wildfire-evacuations.html?playlistId=video/latest-video
- -
[ local tv news account ]
*Devastation in Boulder County as Marshall Fire tears through Superior,
Louisville*
Dec 31, 2021
9NEWS
The fire was first reported after 11 a.m. in the area of South Foothills
Highway and Marshall Road. It has burned an estimated 6,200 acres and
damaged 500+ homes.
More than 500 homes have been destroyed by the fire, Boulder County
Sheriff Joe Pelle said Thursday evening.
More local videos here: https://bit.ly/2Pa0d1l
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJCu21gcd8
- -
/[  lots of silence about how global warming helped to trigger and
amplify conditions such as heat, drought and winds - that made this easy
to explodes.   Plus an electrical grid that failed to install devices to
automatically cut power when there is a line break. //]/

/[ University of Cambridge//- calm-voiced young academics discuss future
risk  -- 90 min video - science and philosophy ]/
/"Thinking about it head-on gives us a hopeful call to action"/
*Extreme Climate Risks: What are the worst-case scenarios?*
Dec 15, 2021
Cambridge Zero
How bad could climate change get? Could the worst-cases result in global
catastrophe, or even long-term human extinction? In this panel, leading
scientists discuss what we know about the worst-case scenarios, what we
don’t know, and how we can study the catastrophic risks of climate change.
With Catherine Arnold, Luke Kemp, Tim Lenton (University of Cambridge)
and Goodwin Gibbins (University of Oxford).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkDbCpn0_9I
- -
The University of Cambridge is building on its existing research and
launching an ambitious new climate change initiative. We are calling on
the world’s brightest and best to join us in creating a zero-carbon future
https://climatechangefestival.zero.cam.ac.uk/events/extreme-climate-risks-what-are-worst-case-scenarios
Cambridge Zero is not just about developing greener technologies. It
will harness the full range of the University’s research and policy
expertise, developing solutions that work for our lives, our society and
our economy.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_CfdSaTHUbk2ifboN8h-Qg/featured

/[ from the Journal Climate  -- and WCVB TV video ]/
*Study: New England warming faster than the rest of the world*
Every season is affected, authors say
BOSTON —A troubling new report on climate change warns that New England
is warming faster than the rest of the planet and that the rapid changes
will threaten elements of the regional economy.

In a paper published earlier this month by the journal Climate, authors
affiliated with Salem State University and UMass-Amherst analyzed the
temperature averages for each state individually and the region as a
whole...
https://www.wcvb.com/article/new-england-warming-faster-than-the-rest-of-the-world-climate-study-finds/38644757

/[ clips from the Climate Psychology Alliance ]/
*CPA Climate Crisis Digest - Jan 2022: Becoming Lost*
‘In order to find your way, you must become lost.’

Bayo Akomolafe remembers this advice from his ancestors. He insists that
we need ‘to fall down to the earth and listen.’1

Becoming lost, as we enter the new year, how do I learn to listen to the
earth?

The pain of avoiding pain

Before confronting the truth about Anthropocene ecological damage, I was
at times lost in the systemic belief that I am separate from nature and
love. Awakening from my climate bubble,2 letting go of the belief that I
am safe in society is a grave loss. Eco-awareness leads to a kind of
homelessness. The Great Unravelling is painful3. Colonialism is a gaping
wound that breaks open my heart for all the world to enter. All the
world is reflected in each of us, from an alchemical perspective, ‘as
above, so below.’.
- -
To acknowledge our interbeing with all of life. Whoever I am is
inconsequential. But what I am is entwined with the more than human
world13. This life we share is everything. Can we lose the pretence of
control, lose ourselves together and meet in the realisation of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWfad60fmM&t=1828s
https://mailchi.mp/climatepsychologyalliance/cpa-climate-crisis-digest-dec-5409453?e=0b0af05aa0

- -

/[ Four very wise people in conversation about trauma of climate change ]/
*Wisdom of Trauma - Trauma Talk Series 2 - Day 2 - Part 3*
Nov 3, 2021
scienceandnonduality
Wisdom of Trauma - Trauma Talk Series 2 - Day 2 - Part 3
Climate Crisis, Fragmentation and Collective Trauma w/ Bayo Akomolafe,
Eriel Tchekwie Deranger, Angaangaq Angakkorsuaq & Dr. Gabor Maté
Watch the Wisdom of Trauma Movie and the Trauma Talk Series, Part 2 at
https://wisdomoftrauma.com

https://youtu.be/6RWfad60fmM?t=297

- -

/[ Film promoted ]/
*THE WISDOM OF TRAUMA*
FEATURING DR. GABOR MATÉ
Trauma is the invisible force that shapes our lives. It shapes the way
we live, the way we love and the way we make sense of the world. It is
the root of our deepest wounds. Dr. Maté gives us a new vision: a
trauma-informed society in which parents, teachers, physicians,
policy-makers and legal personnel are not concerned with fixing
behaviors, making diagnoses, suppressing symptoms and judging, but
seeking instead to understand the sources from which troubling behaviors
and diseases spring in the wounded human soul...

The Oct 4–10 broadcast of The Wisdom of Trauma movie will be accompanied
by a Part 2 of the Talks on Trauma series, featuring new conversations
with authors, celebrities, spiritual teachers and trauma experts.

With this film and talks, we hope to touch many people, begin a
conversation, and develop a common understanding of how trauma impacts
our individual lives, communities and
society as a whole.

https://wisdomoftrauma.com/

/[ more, wry, sarcastic humor from the New Yorker ] /
*What I Will Give Up Because of Climate Change*
By Alex Connolly and Ginny Hogan
December 30, 2021
- -
2032: Single-use woven baskets. No need to throw away a perfectly good
basket after each berry-collecting outing! Except if the berries turn
out to be poisonous, at which point it won’t really be an issue.

2033: Afternoon water. I’ll be honest—I’ll be bummed about this one. I
really liked drinking water after 12 p.m. But drought conditions are no
joke. We’ll now all have to make big sacrifices because we refused to
make small ones for so long.

2034: Hogging my family’s good boot. After some soul-searching, I’ll
realize that it’s selfish of me to demand the good boot just because my
left foot is so riddled with gout. In 2034, we’ll all love that boot,
and we’ll all have gout.

2035: Private property. We’ll have so little—what are we doing carving
it into smaller pieces to fight over? Who am I to lay claim to Chair
Rock, the rock that is shaped kind of like a chair? I didn’t make it.
The world did.

2036: Thinking of myself as separate from my environment. And suppose I
did make Chair Rock? (Can you imagine? Ha!) The world made me, so
whatever I make belongs to the world. Nature is not clay for me to
mold—or, if it is, I’m clay, too. Maybe that’s how we got into this
mess: thinking of the world as something to shape from the outside.
We’re on the inside. It is an ocean, and we are a wave. Like that wave
that wrecked Kansas.

2037: Fear of death. Now that I realize I’m not some essence encased in
a corporeal shell, I will stop clinging to my little life as if it were
all that mattered. There are bigger things—this pale-blue dot that we’re
on, for one. Although scientists say that it’s now more of a pale-orange
dot.

2038: Twitter. Unrelated to climate change, this will just start to feel
too toxic. Like, everyone’s always mad about something.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/what-i-will-give-up-because-of-climate-change

/[  Tipping points discussed .. video ] /
*Day 1: Tipping Points & Abrupt Climate Responses, Panel and Q&A*
Oct 13, 2021
Cambridge Zero
Tipping points are critical thresholds beyond which a system
reorganizes, often abruptly and/or
irreversibly, with catastrophic implications. The IPCC states that
abrupt responses and tipping points of the climate system, such as
strongly increased Antarctic ice sheet melt and forest dieback, cannot
be ruled out. Moreover, there are concerns that tipping points could
trigger others, causing a domino effect. This panel of international
academic experts will discuss the latest scientific advances in our
understanding of tipping points, including the associated risks and
uncertainties, how to communicate those, and how policymakers can
prepare for such low-likelihood but high-impact outcomes.
Read the key insights:
https://www.zero.cam.ac.uk/stories/cop26-universities-climate-risk-summit-blog-when-day-after-tomorrow-tipping-points-and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFVlQfq6UR0

/[ see and understand AMOC  brief video -- no math, none] /
*The Atlantic Meridional Overturning*
Aug 12, 2020
OceanClimateAtUoL
This laboratory demonstration shows a key process that maintains a
large-scale but slow circulation in the Atlantic Ocean that is an
important part of how Earth’s climate works. Near the equator warming of
the surface ocean by the strong sunlight produces a layer of warm,
low-density surface water that starts to spread northwards (in the real
ocean this northward movement is helped by the average winds). In the
far north of the Atlantic, the surface water cools and becomes more
dense. This dense water sinks to great depth and begins to move
southward. Eventually you see a large-scale overturning circulation that
takes warm, low-density water northward at the surface and cold, dense
water southward near the bottom. The formation of cold water at the
surface in the North Atlantic is important to our climate. Cold water
absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere, and when the water sinks it takes that
CO2 with it thus removing CO2 from the atmosphere and storing it in the
deep Atlantic. The storage is temporary – for the time that the
overturning circulation takes to take the dense water southward and
eventually reintroduce it to the sea surface. This takes several
centuries, so this process has been helping us by removing and storing
some of the CO2 w have been emitting into the atmosphere since the start
of the industrial revolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZzpvLz4yAk

/[  clip from Beckwith the Alarmist, Activist & Scientist ]/
*My Christmas Message on Abrupt Climate System Mayhem and on What is
Likely to Happen Soon…*
Dec 24, 2021
Paul Beckwith
I was just out for a walk on a crisp but sunny afternoon near my place
in lovely Ottawa, Ontario.
It was a perfect setting for a Christmas video message, to express some
of my thoughts on our ongoing abrupt climate system breakdown, and what
we can expect in the near future.
https://youtu.be/PcufnKH9vA0?t=1512

///[The news archive - looking back at Vatican pronouncements ]/
*On this day in the history of global warming January 1, 1990 and 1999*
*January 1, 1990: In his World Day of Peace message, Pope John Paul II
declares:*

    "The gradual depletion of the ozone layer and the related 'greenhouse
    effect' has now reached crisis proportions as a consequence of
    industrial growth, massive urban concentrations and vastly increased
    energy needs. Industrial waste, the burning of fossil fuels,
    unrestricted deforestation, the use of certain types of herbicides,
    coolants and propellants: all of these are known to harm the
    atmosphere and environment. The resulting meteorological and
    atmospheric changes range from damage to health to the possible future
    submersion of low-lying lands.

    "While in some cases the damage already done may well be irreversible,
    in many other cases it can still be halted. It is necessary, however,
    that the entire human community - individuals, States and
    international bodies - take seriously the responsibility that is
    theirs.

    "The most profound and serious indication of the moral implications
    underlying the ecological problem is the lack of respect for life
    evident in many of the patterns of environmental pollution. Often, the
    interests of production prevail over concern for the dignity of
    workers, while economic interests take priority over the good of
    individuals and even entire peoples. In these cases, pollution or
    environmental destruction is the result of an unnatural and
    reductionist vision which at times leads to a genuine contempt for
    man.

    "On another level, delicate ecological balances are upset by the
    uncontrolled destruction of animal and plant life or by a reckless
    exploitation of natural resources. It should be pointed out that all
    of this, even if carried out in the name of progress and well-being,
    is ultimately to mankind's disadvantage."

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/messages/peace/documents/hf_jp-ii_mes_19891208_xxiii-world-day-for-peace_en.html
- -
*January 1, 1999: In his World Day of Peace Message, Pope John Paul II
declares:*

    "The promotion of human dignity is linked to the right to a healthy
    environment, since this right highlights the dynamics of the
    relationship between the individual and society. A body of
    international, regional and national norms on the environment is
    gradually giving juridic form to this right. But juridic measures by
    themselves are not sufficient. The danger of serious damage to land
    and sea, and to the climate, flora and fauna, calls for a profound
    change in modern civilization's typical consumer life-style,
    particularly in the richer countries."

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/messages/peace/documents/hf_jp-ii_mes_14121998_xxxii-world-day-for-peace_en.html

Privacy and Security:  This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry