[✔️] January 4, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jan 4 09:05:49 EST 2022

/*January 4, 2022*/

/[ 32 min podcast about the money ]/
//*Will there be significant action against climate change in 2022?*
Our future-gazing podcast series examines speculative scenarios and
provocative prophecies/
/

The World Ahead from The Economist
The World Ahead: COP-out?/
/

AFTER A major UN climate summit, momentum behind climate policy often
falters. But will that happen in 2022 in the wake of COP26? Climate
cooperation is leading to some unlikely alliances and new reports on the
impact of global warming underline greater urgency. Will significant
action follow? Tom Standage hosts. Runtime: 32 min..
https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2022/01/03/will-there-be-significant-action-against-climate-change-in-2022

/[ some ideas are obvious -- text Anthropocene Magazine ]
/*In the face of climate change, it’s time to rethink regular work hours*
According to a first-of-its-kind study, working at night or in the cool
of the morning could spare outdoor laborers extreme heat exposure—at
least for the time being.
By Sarah DeWeerdt - January 4, 2022/
/
About 30% of the work hours currently being lost to extreme heat could
be recovered if work schedules shifted from some of the hottest hours of
the day to some of the coolest, according to a new study.

The findings suggest a strategy to help human societies adapt to climate
change – but one that becomes less effective as the planet heats further.

“Working in hot and humid environments can be dangerous because high
temperatures combined with high humidity limit the body’s ability to
cool itself by sweating,” explains study team member Luke Parsons, a
postdoctoral researcher studying the impacts of climate change at Duke
University in Durham, North Carolina.

“Workers in many hot and humid locations are already stopping or slowing
work in the middle of the day because it is too uncomfortable or unsafe
to conduct heavy labor,” Parsons says. These conditions affect hundreds
of millions of workers in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and
construction, especially in the tropics...
- -
“I think it’s important for us to recognize that heat exposure and this
lost potential productivity can have implications for the health and
well-being of workers and economy, especially as policymakers weigh the
costs and benefits of limiting climate change,” Parsons says. “I hope
this work calls attention to how climate change is already impacting and
will impact people who depend on outdoor work to support themselves and
their communities.”

Source: Parsons L.A. et al. “Increased labor losses and decreased
adaptation potential in a warmer world.” Nature Communications 2021.
https://www.anthropocenemagazine.org/2022/01/in-face-of-climate-change-rethink-regular-work-hours//

/[  “God, where are you?”, evangelism, climate science in the NYTimes -
clips ] /
Dec. 29, 2021
*An Evangelical Climate Scientist Wonders What Went Wrong*
By David Marchese
Such is the grimly politicized state of science these days that the
descriptors typically used to explain who Katharine Hayhoe is —
evangelical Christian; climate scientist — can register as somehow
paradoxical. Despite that (or, indeed, because of it), Hayhoe, who is 49
and whose most recent book is “Saving Us: A Climate Scientist’s Case for
Hope and Healing in a Divided World,” has become a sought-after voice
for climate activism and a leading advocate for communicating across
ideological, political and theological differences. “For many people
now, hope is a bad word,” says Hayhoe, the chief scientist for the
Nature Conservancy as well as a professor of political science at Texas
Tech. “They think that hope is false hope; it is wishful thinking.. But
there are things to do — and we should be doing them.”

*Where, if any, are there areas where you see a conflict between
scientific consensus and your religious beliefs? *The biggest struggle I
have is that in the Bible, Jesus says to his disciples, “You should be
recognized as my disciples by your love for others,” and today when you
look at people who self-identify as Christians in the United States,
love for others is not one of the top characteristics you see.
Christianity is much more closely linked with political ideology and
identity, with judgmentalism, partisanship, science denial,1 rejection
of responsibility for the poorest and most vulnerable who we, as
Christians, are to care for. You know, there was a really interesting
recent article about the landscape of evangelicalism in the United
States, and it said that about 10 years ago if you asked people, “Do you
consider yourself to be evangelical?” and they said yes, and then you
asked, “Do you go to church?” about 30 percent would say no. But
nowadays something like 40 percent of people who self-identify as
evangelicals don’t go to church. They go to the church of Facebook or
Fox News or whatever media outlet they get their information from. So
their statement of faith is written primarily by political ideology and
only a distant second by theology...
- -
*Does our current situation ever make you doubt?* It does not make me
doubt the existence or the goodness of God. It makes me doubt God’s
ability to act in people who call themselves his followers. I had an
interesting experience a few years ago: I was visiting a university, as
I often do, doing a luncheon event with a group of early-career women.
One of the administrators stuck their head in and said the dean wants to
talk to Katharine. They ushered everybody out and then the dean came and
sat down and said, “I used to be an evangelical.” So I asked the obvious
question: “Why are you no longer?” He said: “It wasn’t because I doubted
the existence of God. It’s because I couldn’t see any evidence of God
working in people. I saw person after person who claimed that they took
the Bible seriously, they were Christian” — I’m paraphrasing — “and all
I saw was the opposite of love. It got to the point where I couldn’t see
any evidence of God working in people.” That’s what I’ve struggled with,
too. What breaks my heart is the attacks I get from people who identify
as Christians. When someone on Twitter has just called me a whore and I
go to their profile and it says something about “loving others” and “so
blessed” it makes me feel so discouraged. I’m thinking, God, what are
you doing?

*How do you understand it?* When that happens, almost always within a
day or two or sometimes even within an hour, I hear from somebody who is
expressing love and joy and peace and patience and kindness — the fruits
of the spirit7 — and who encourages me again. Part of the active hope is
recognizing that there are people out there who are motivated from the
heart, who are expressing love for others. Some of them call themselves
Christians and some of them don’t, but those expressions restore your
faith in the goodness of people, in the goodness of creation and,
ultimately, the goodness of God. But, yes, I certainly have moments when
I just say, “God, where are you?”
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/01/03/magazine/katharine-hayhoe-interview.html

/[   Keep an eye on the Colorado River ] /
*The Colorado River Is Dying - And It Could Crash The Economy | Answers
With Joe*
Jan 3, 2022
Joe Scott
Use code JOESCOTT16 for up to 16 FREE MEALS + 3 Surprise Gifts across 6
HelloFresh boxes plus free shipping at https://bit.ly/3JbfpbA!
The Colorado River is often called The Lifeline of the Southwest. 40
million people rely on it. It supports a $1.7 trillion economy. And it
is quickly drying up.
So let's start 2022 with a look at the Colorado River. What's causing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYvQNon4aLg

/[ follow the money - listen to politics ]/
*Warren urges crackdown on Wall Street over global warming*
US Senator Elizabeth Warren has blamed Wall Street for contributing to
global warming, calling for action against major emitters.

“The volume of greenhouse gas emitted by the financial-services industry
is outrageous,” she said in a tweet on Monday.
Warren called for a crackdown on financial institutes in the US which
were behind the emission of carbon dioxide and greenhouse gasses
contributing to global warming.

The Democratic senator from Massachusetts said regulators needed to
crack down on these financial institutes for the role they played in
global warming.

"Regulators need to crack down on the financial sector's role in the
#ClimateCrisis," she said in her tweet, adding, “If it were a country it
would rank as the fifth-largest emitter in the world.”

In Warren's call for action against Wall Street, she cited a new report
published earlier this month by the Center for American Progress and the
Sierra Club.

The report finds that the 18 largest US banks and asset managers alone
were responsible for financing the equivalent of 1.968 billion tons of
CO₂ in 2020.

In this regard, the United Nations held the World Leaders’ Summit of the
COP26 UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, Scotland, on November 2,
2021...
- -
Beijing and Moscow responded to Biden's criticisms, insisting that the
US must itself take serious action to cut emissions.

“Tackling climate change requires concrete action, not empty words,”
said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said in response to
Biden’s criticism.
https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2021/12/28/673588/US-Senator-Warren-Wall-Street-global-warming

/[  more promotion for "Don't Look Up" ] /
*Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, & the Cast of Don’t Look Up on What It
Means | Netflix*
Jan 3, 2022
Netflix Film Club
Don't Look Up gives us a new perspective on the reality of climate
change (and yes, it's truly terrifying). Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo
DiCaprio, Meryl Streep & more share their experiences playing those that
want to effect change and those who ignore science.

@DontLookUpFilm has partnered with @CountUsInSocial to bring together
the steps we can take towards a safer planet. Head to
https://www.count-us-in.org/DontLookUp/
Watch Don't Look Up in theaters and streaming only on Netflix.

#JustLookUp #DontLookUp
Subscribe: https://bit.ly/36dnr0k

Find Netflix Film Club on:
INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/netflixfilm
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm
https://www.youtube.com/netflixfilmclub
- -
Two astronomers go on a media tour to warn humankind of a planet-killing
comet hurtling toward Earth. The response from a distracted world: Meh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJq2gGo5Mg

/[The news archive - looking back to 1996]/
*On this day in the history of global warming January  4, 1996*
January 4, 1996: The New York Times reports:

    "The earth's average surface temperature climbed to a record high
    last year, according to preliminary figures, bolstering scientists'
    sense that the burning of fossil fuels is warming the climate.

    "Spells of cold, snow and ice like the ones this winter in the
    northeastern United States come and go in one region or another, as
    do periods of unusual warmth. But the net result globally made 1995
    the warmest year since records first were kept in 1856, says a
    provisional report issued by the British Meteorological Office and
    the University of East Anglia.

    "The average temperature was 58.72 degrees Fahrenheit, according to
    the British data, seven-hundredths of a degree higher than the
    previous record, established in 1990.

    "The British figures, based on land and sea measurements around the
    world, are one of two sets of long-term data by which surface
    temperature trends are being tracked.

    "The other, maintained by the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
    Studies in New York, shows the average 1995 temperature at 59.7
    degrees, slightly ahead of 1990 as the warmest year since
    record-keeping began in 1866. But the difference is within the
    margin of sampling error, and the two years essentially finished
    neck and neck.

    "The preliminary Goddard figures differ from the British ones
    because they are based on a somewhat different combination of
    observations around the world.

    "One year does not a trend make, but the British figures show the
    years 1991 through 1995 to be warmer than any similar five-year
    period, including the two half-decades of the 1980's, the warmest
    decade on record.

    "This is so even though a sun-reflecting haze cast aloft by the 1991
    eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines cooled the earth
    substantially for about two years. Despite the post-Pinatubo
    cooling, the Goddard data show the early 1990's to have been nearly
    as warm as the late 1980's, which Goddard says was the warmest
    half-decade on record.

    "Dr. James E. Hansen, the director of the Goddard center, predicted
    last year that a new global record would be reached before 2000, and
    yesterday he said he now expected that 'we will still get at least a
    couple more' by then.

    "Dr. Hansen has been one of only a few scientists to maintain
    steadfastly that a century-long global warming trend is being caused
    mostly by human influence, a belief he reiterated yesterday."

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/04/world/95-is-hottest-year-on-record-as-the-global-trend-resumes.html?pagewanted=print