[✔️] January17, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jan 17 09:56:23 EST 2022

/*January 17, 2022*/

/[ Scientific American reminds us of the fundamental geology - see
"isostatic rebound" ]/
*Get Ready for More Volcanic Eruptions as the Planet Warms**
*A new study shows that even relatively small-scale climatic changes
affect volcanic activity*
*- -
In a recent study published in Geology researchers looked at
smaller-scale changes in glacial coverage to see if these incremental
differences had any effect.*
*
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/get-ready-for-more-volcanic-eruptions-as-the-planet-warms/*
*

/[  with Prof Kate Marvel ]/
*Climate scientist and Netflix 'Don't Look Up' director talk comet
metaphors and global warming (exclusive)*
By Elizabeth Howell - Jan `6, 2022

Kate Marvel calls for Congressional action along with more climate
change movies, like a Liam Neeson 'revenge' flick.
- -
The interview, exclusively released to Space.com, is a 24-minute audio
conversation between filmmaker Adam McKay and Kate Marvel, an associate
research scientist at both Columbia University and the NASA Goddard
Institute for Space Studies.

McKay opens the conversation by saying he went into a state of "real
terror" and couldn't sleep for three nights after reading the book "The
Uninhabitable Earth" (Tim Duggan Books, 2019) by U.S. climate change
journalist David Wallace-Wells, which describes possible after-effects
of global warming such as climate wars and severe economic plunges...
- -
https://www.space.com/dont-look-up-climate-change-comet-metaphore-scientist-praise

/[ Young academic speaks up with tremendous insights ]/
*Don't Look Up: A Climate Analysis*
Jan 16, 2022
Beckisphere Climate Corner
Everything in this video is my opinion. Let me know yours in the comments!

If you like the work I do, please consider joining the Beckisphere
Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/beckisphere or buying me a cup of
coffee at www.buymeacoffee.com/beckisphere. Remember to talk about the
climate crisis every day and support your local news organizations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6dGJf_4OWw

/[ video rant 8 min ]/
*Global Extinction: How Long Do We Have Left?*
Nov 1, 2021
Koranos
In the last 500 million years, five mass extinctions, known as the Big
Five, have nearly annihilated life on Earth. But according to the
National Academy of Sciences, the Sixth Mass Extinction has already
begun. It started in the middle of the 20th century, during a period
called the Great Acceleration. From pollution to the rapid increase in
carbon dioxide emissions, humans have severely impacted the Earth. Can
we work against the tide of destruction?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgMyinDCkk

/[  CBS visits Al Gore video 7 mins - poor Al, cannot compete with a
Hollywood movie ]/
*Fifteen years after "An Inconvenient Truth" documentary, Al Gore speaks
about climate change*
Jan 13, 2022
CBS Mornings
Former Vice President Al Gore admits he still hasn't completely gotten
the message of his film, "An Inconvenient Truth," across, but he is
hopeful for the future, mostly because of the energy in the streets by
young people protesting climate inaction by world leaders. Ben Tracy
spoke to Gore.

Each weekday morning, "CBS Mornings” co-hosts Gayle King, Tony Dokoupil
and Nate Burleson bring you the latest breaking news, smart conversation
and in-depth feature reporting. "CBS Mornings" airs weekdays at 7 a.m.
on CBS and 8 a.m. ET on CBSN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asxnB7ogCII

/[  Best visual description of Thwaits destabilization "in 3 to 5
years".  - high resolution video 13 mins ]/
*Antarctica latest research: Doomsday Glacier ice shelf will be gone in
5 years!*
Jan 16, 2022
Just Have a Think
Antarctica is a 'game of two halves'. East Antarctica is a mile thick
ice sheet on top of solid bedrock. But the ice on West Antarctica sits
precariously above and below the sea line on a series of islands. The
country sized glaciers on it's outer edges, that keep the ice flow at
bay, have been receding for years, but now new research
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NPdyUEos8

- -

/[2020 video]/
*Antarctica : What happens if the 'Doomsday' Glacier collapses?*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hax7EPFysqY

/[  38 min video from 2019 -- see the last few minutes  ] /
*"Earth's Climate Trajectory: Past and Future" by Jessica Tierney*
May 5, 2020
Aspen Global Change Institute
The geologic record - kind of a CSI or forensic way of understanding the
past   climate - has much to tell us about how we are changing the
climate   today. Yes, in the past there were crocodiles above the Arctic
Circle, giant snakes, and palm trees in Antarctica. Dr. Tierney
(Associate Professor, University of Arizona) presents with beautiful
graphics a compelling story of the Earth’s past with lessons for the future.
Walter Orr Roberts Memorial Public Lecture
www.agci.org
Presented: May 08, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZU8EZRNifI

/[ The best explanation of the fundamentals of climate change -- simple
and clear video 59 mins - very little math - which you will not be
tested on the final exam. ]/
*The Math of Climate Change*
Nov 22, 2018
Gresham College
Climate change is controversial and the subject of huge debate. Complex
climate models based on math helps us understand. How do these models work?
A lecture by Chris Budd OBE, Gresham Professor of Geometry 13 November 2018

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-an...

Climate change is important, controversial, and the subject of huge
debate. Much of our understanding of the future climate comes from the
use of complex climate models based on mathematical and physical ideas.

In this talk, Professor Budd will describe how these models work and the
assumptions that go into them. He will discuss how reliable our
predictions of climate change are, and show how mathematicians can give
us insights into both past and future.
Website: http://www.gresham.ac.uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4O4jK-lZrI&

/[   Still a strongly sarcastic video ] /
*Climate Change Deniers' Anthem*
Dec 10, 2015
ClimateTruth.org Action
In a new video spoof by our friends at Funny or Die, infamous
conservative billionaires, the Koch Brothers, pay celebrities to sing a
climate change deniers' anthem to the music of "We Are the World."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skVrKVJb1Sc

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming January  17, 2006*
January 17, 2006: The Fred Barnes book "Rebel-in-Chief: Inside the Bold
and Controversial Presidency of George W. Bush" is released. In the
book, Barnes notes that in 2005, Bush had a private meeting with
overrated novelist and climate-change denier Michael Crichton, during
which Bush and Crichton "were in near-total agreement" about the
supposed alarmism of climate activists.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/national/19warming.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0
http://scienceblogs.com/intersection/2006/02/16/the-full-barnes-treatment-of-b/
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2008/11/07/michael-crichton-author-of-state-of-fear-leaves-global-warming-disinformation-legacy/