[✔️] January 19, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 19 09:28:04 EST 2022

/*January 19, 2022*/

/[  Climate crime legal tactical assault]/
*How Exxon is using an unusual law to intimidate critics over its
climate denial*
America’s largest oil firm claims its history of publicly denying the
climate crisis is protected by the first amendment
ExxonMobil is attempting to use an unusual Texas law to target and
intimidate its critics, claiming that lawsuits against the company over
its long history of downplaying and denying the climate crisis violate
the US constitution’s guarantees of free speech.

The US’s largest oil firm is asking the Texas supreme court to allow it
to use the law, known as rule 202, to pursue legal action against more
than a dozen California municipal officials. Exxon claims that in filing
lawsuits against the company over its role in the climate crisis, the
officials are orchestrating a conspiracy against the firm’s first
amendment rights.

The oil giant also makes the curious claim that legal action in the
California courts is an infringement of the sovereignty of Texas, where
the company is headquartered.

Eight California cities and counties have accused Exxon and other oil
firms of breaking state laws by misrepresenting and burying evidence,
including from its own scientists, of the threat posed by rising
temperatures. The municipalities are seeking billions of dollars in
compensation for damage caused by wildfires, flooding and other extreme
weather events, and to meet the cost of building new infrastructure to
prepare for the consequences of rising global temperatures...
- -
Exxon wants to use the provision to force the California officials to
travel to Texas to be questioned by the firm’s lawyers about what the
company describes as “lawfare” – the misuse of the legal system for
political ends...
- -
Naomi Oreskes, a Harvard professor and co-author of Merchants of Doubt:
How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco
Smoke to Global Warming, said Exxon had a long history of attempting to
bully its critics into silence.

“Now that the arguments have moved into the legal sphere, this feels to
me like an extension of the sort of harassment, bullying and
intimidation that we’ve seen in the scientific sphere for the last two
decades,” she said.

Oreskes said that the legal strategy is also part of a broader public
relations campaign to paint the company as a victim of radical
environmentalists and opportunistic politicians when Exxon argues that
it should be heralded for its efforts to combat the climate crisis.

“Exxon Mobil has for a long time now tried to make themselves out to be
the victim, as if somehow they’re the innocent innocent party here,” she
said.

The Texas supreme court is considering the case after a lower court
backed Exxon’s attempts to use rule 202 against the California
officials. The ruling was later overturned on appeal.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/18/exxon-texas-courts-critics-climate-crimes
//

/- -/

/[ A cartoon aids in understanding this absurdity ]/
*Oiled Up*
by Jen Sorensen
POSTED ON JANUARY 19, 2022

    https://thenib.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/JS1-2.png
    https://thenib.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/JS2-2.png
    https://thenib.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/JS3-2.png
    https://thenib.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/JS4-2.png

https://thenib.com/petro-persecution/

/[  Realism falls before fantasy ] /
*'We conclude' or 'I believe?' Study finds rationality declined decades ago*
by Wageningen University - JAN 12, 2022
Scientists from Wageningen University and Research (WUR) and Indiana
University have discovered that the increasing irrelevance of factual
truth in public discourse is part of a groundswell trend that started
decades ago...
- -
While the current "post-truth era" has taken many by surprise, the study
shows that over the past forty years, public interest has undergone an
accelerating shift from the collective to the individual, and from
rationality towards emotion.

*From ratio to sentiment*
Analyzing language from millions of books, the researchers found that
words associated with reasoning, such as "determine" and "conclusion,"
rose systematically beginning in 1850, while words related to human
experience such as "feel" and "believe" declined. This pattern has
reversed over the past 40 years, paralleled by a shift from a
collectivistic to an individualistic focus as reflected by the ratio of
singular to plural pronouns such as "I"/"we."

"Interpreting this synchronous sea-change in book language remains
challenging," says co-author Johan Bollen of Indiana University.
"However, as we show, the nature of this reversal occurs in fiction as
well as non-fiction. Moreover, we observe the same pattern of change
between sentiment and rationality flag words in New York Times articles,
suggesting that it is not an artifact of the book corpora we analyzed."

*Causes*
"Inferring the drivers of long-term patterns seen from 1850 until 1980
necessarily remains speculative," says lead author Marten Scheffer of
WUR. "One possibility when it comes to the trends from 1850 to 1980 is
that the rapid developments in science and technology and their
socio-economic benefits drove a rise in status of the scientific
approach, which gradually permeated culture, society, and its
institutions ranging from the education to politics. As argued early on
by Max Weber, this may have led to a process of 'disenchantment' as the
role of spiritualism dwindled in modernized, bureaucratic, and
secularized societies."

What precisely caused the observed reversal of the long-term trend
around 1980 remains perhaps even more difficult to pinpoint. However,
according to the authors there could be a connection to tensions arising
from changes in economic policies since the early 1980s, which may have
been defended on rational arguments but the benefits of which were not
equally distributed.

*Social media*
The authors did find that the shift from rationality to sentiment in
book language accelerated around 2007 with the rise of social media,
when across languages the frequency of fact-related words dropped while
emotion-laden language surged, a trend paralleled by a shift from
collectivistic to individualistic language.

Co-author Ingrid van de Leemput from WUR notes, "Whatever the drivers,
our results suggest that the post-truth phenomenon is linked to a
historical seesaw in the balance between our two fundamental modes of
thinking: Reasoning versus intuition. If true, it may well be impossible
to reverse the sea change we signal. Instead, societies may need to find
a new balance, explicitly recognizing the importance of intuition and
emotion, while at the same time making best use of the much needed power
of rationality and science to deal with topics in their full complexity."
https://phys.org/news/2022-01-rationality-declined-decades.html

/[  not surprising ] /
*New studies link global warming to early births and effects on babies'
health*
The studies were recently published in a special issue of the journal
Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology.
Alejandra O'Connell-Domenech -- Jan. 17, 2022
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/climate-change/590042-new-studies-link-global-warming-to-early

/[ physical leaks ]/
*New Data Shows Massive Climate-Warming Leaks by New Mexico Oil and Gas
Operators*
While most producers dramatically increased their reporting, the state’s
largest natural gas producer’s numbers haven’t budged.
  Jerry Redfern-- Jan 18, 2022
In New Mexico, new state rules sparked a dramatic increase in reported
incidents of vented and flared natural gas in 2021 — and reveal that the
oil and gas industry has been losing vastly more of the
climate-change-driving fossil fuel than previously reported...
- -
A review of year-end data from the state’s Oil Conservation Division
(OCD) shows that producers vented or flared enough natural gas to power
nearly 39,000 homes for a year — roughly the number of households in Las
Cruces, the state’s second-largest city.
The actual total for the year is likely much higher as the new reporting
only began in May...
https://capitalandmain.com/new-data-shows-massive-climate-warming-leaks-by-new-mexico-oil-and-gas-operators/[
small funding for huge question ] /
*Entomologists to study how climate change may influence pollinator
stressors*
Jan 17, 2022
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — A Penn State-led team of researchers will use a
newly awarded $682,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's
National Institute of Food and Agriculture to examine how climate change
may influence and interact with various stressors that affect the health
of pollinators.

The funding is part of USDA-NIFA's Agriculture and Food Research Initiative.

The project will employ a novel, integrative approach to understand how
temperature variation, pesticides and pathogens interact to influence
the fitness and survival of crop pollinators, according to team leader
Margarita López-Uribe, Lorenzo L. Langstroth Early Career Professor and
assistant professor of entomology in Penn State's College of
Agricultural Sciences...
- -
The team will build species distribution models that incorporate data on
pesticide exposure, disease pressure and microclimatic conditions,
explained project co-director Rudolf Schilder, associate professor of
entomology and biology, Penn State. "Our combined lab, field and
modeling approach will allow us to identify key stressors in different
habitats and to develop recommendations for mitigation measures to
enhance pollinator health," he said.

López-Uribe added that the study's findings will address a current
knowledge gap about how multiple stressors impact pollinator health in
agroecosystems that are critical to the food supply.
https://www.psu.edu/news/agricultural-sciences/story/entomologists-study-how-climate-change-may-influence-pollinator//]
/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming January 19, 2014*
January 19, 2014: In the New York Times, climate scientist Michael Mann
observes:

    "It is not an uncommon view among scientists that we potentially
    compromise our objectivity if we choose to wade into policy matters
    or the societal implications of our work. And it would be
    problematic if our views on policy somehow influenced the way we
    went about doing our science. But there is nothing inappropriate at
    all about drawing on our scientific knowledge to speak out about the
    very real implications of our research.

    "My colleague Stephen Schneider of Stanford University, who died in
    2010, used to say that being a scientist-advocate is not an
    oxymoron. Just because we are scientists does not mean that we
    should check our citizenship at the door of a public meeting, he
    would explain. The New Republic once called him a 'scientific
    pugilist' for advocating a forceful approach to global warming. But
    fighting for scientific truth and an informed debate is nothing to
    apologize for.

    "If scientists choose not to engage in the public debate, we leave a
    vacuum that will be filled by those whose agenda is one of
    short-term self-interest. There is a great cost to society if
    scientists fail to participate in the larger conversation — if we do
    not do all we can to ensure that the policy debate is informed by an
    honest assessment of the risks. In fact, it would be an abrogation
    of our responsibility to society if we remained quiet in the face of
    such a grave threat."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/opinion/sunday/if-you-see-something-say-something.html