[✔️] January 21, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 21 10:03:18 EST 2022

/*January 21, 2022*/

/[ most important ]/
*New Research Shows How Health Risks to Children Mount as Temperatures Rise*
The first nationwide study on rising temperatures and younger Americans
found that hotter days were associated with more visits to emergency rooms.
Hotter temperatures in late spring and summer were associated with
higher rates of emergency-room visits for children across the United
States, researchers said Wednesday.

The research adds to a growing body of evidence of the dangers that heat
poses to vulnerable populations, including children and adolescents.
Although children dissipate heat in the same way as adults, they suffer
the effects differently, in part because of differing body surface
areas, body fat composition and hydration...
- -
Dr. Bernstein said the research underscored the inequities in pediatric
health care. For instance, though a quarter of all bacterial intestinal
infections were attributed to heat, those rates were substantially
higher for nonwhite children and those who rely upon public health
insurance like Medicaid. The data, which did not include pediatric
visits to community hospitals or primary care appointments, reiterated
that “children without good access to care are more likely to use an
emergency department,” he said.

“It’s one thing when we see these inequities laid bare in people at the
end of life,” Dr. Bernstein said. But for a child, “we essentially put
them on a different course for the rest of their life.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/19/climate/children-climate-change.html

/[ carbon plants disappearing, prices up]/
*Lumber Prices Are off the Rails Again. Blame Climate Change.*
“This is a supply-side problem. This is unlike any other market that any
of us lumber traders have ever experienced.”
By Robinson Meyer
Last year, lumber turned into the surprise superstar of the U.S. economy
when it briefly outperformed bitcoin, gold, and the S&P 500 to become
“the hottest commodity on the planet.”

Now it’s happening again. Yesterday, the market closed at more than
$1,200 per thousand board feet, a surge in price with only one precedent
in the decades-long history of lumber trading. Last year, I wrote about
the role that climate change was playing in the lumber volatility. Its
effects now seem even more pronounced. “The lumber price story is really
a climate-change story,” Stinson Dean, a lumber trader in Colorado,
recently tweeted. He has argued that climate change has all but dictated
the ongoing price rally, going so far as to call the lumber price a
“climate price.”...
- -
*Dean:* Volatility is what makes markets. Extreme volatility, what we’re
experiencing, breaks markets. It’s broken the supply chain. You can’t
forecast [prices]. When it comes to lumber, climate change has
manifested itself in extreme volatility, lack of supply, and a paradigm
shift in how lumber markets have behaved for decades. Lumber prices are
the second highest they’ve ever been, today, this moment—ever. And it
was precipitated by mudslides, which was precipitated by burning, which
was precipitated by beetle kill. There’s an infrastructure story in
there. There’s a climate story.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/01/why-climate-change-pushing-lumber-prices/621288/

/[  Iraq today is toasting - PBS video 9 min ]/
*Rising temperatures, dying cattle: Iraq is reeling from climate change*
Jan 16, 2022
PBS NewsHour
Iraq is at the frontlines of the climate crisis, with temperatures
rising twice as fast as the global average. It’s also a major oil
producer and the world’s second largest offender of gas flaring, a
process that releases CO2. Special Correspondent Simona Foltyn reports
as part of our ongoing series, “Peril & Promise: The Challenge of
Climate Change.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZowcC1l_I

/[ digital watches not as dramatic  ]/
*‘Stuck in perilous moment’: Doomsday Clock holds at 100 seconds to
midnight*
The clock has been set at that time third year in a row as science and
security board says it ‘brings neither stability nor security’
Julian Borger - - 20 Jan 2022
The Doomsday Clock, established 75 years ago by scientists to illustrate
the danger of human extinction, remains at 100 seconds to midnight
according to a panel of experts.

It is the third year in a row that the clock has been set at that time,
which is closer to midnight than at any period during the cold war,
including the Cuban missile crisis.
- -
“The Doomsday Clock is not set by good intentions, but rather by
evidence of action, or in this case inaction,” Scott Sagan, a political
science professor at Stanford University, said.

The board also drew attention to biological threats in the light of the
global vulnerability highlighted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The fact that we have active biological weapons programs in Russia and
North Korea, with China and Iran close behind, should give us pause,”
said Asha M George, the executive director of the Bipartisan Commission
on Biodefense. “We stand on the precipice of a biological cataclysm. It
will take very little more from this arena to push us right over the edge.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/20/doomsday-clock-holds-at-100-seconds-to-midnight

/[ succinct summary of the longer podcast ] /
*Volts podcast: me and Adam McKay in an exciting podcast crossover event*
Volts + Carbon Copy = podcast gold.
David Roberts
Hey Volties! As you know, last week I interviewed Don’t Look Up director
Adam McKay for the podcast.

Then the talented folks at Canary Media’s Carbon Copy podcast (which you
should subscribe to) interviewed me — about the movie, climate change in
art, and McKay — and interweaved bits of that interview with bits of my
interview with McKay.

The result is the first-ever Volts/Carbon Copy crossover episode! They
did an amazing job. Even if you’ve already listened to my interview with
McKay, I think you’ll get something out of it. If you didn’t have time
to listen to that 90-minute conversation and would prefer the 30-minute
highlight reel … here it is!

Let me know what you think and if you’d like to see more crossover
episodes in the future.
https://www.volts.wtf/p/volts-podcast-me-and-adam-mckay-in?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNjgzNTA5LCJwb3N0X2lkIjo0NzQzOTgyMCwiXyI6InI3Mk5tIiwiaWF0IjoxNjQyNzMxMzUzLCJleHAiOjE2NDI3MzQ5NTMsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0xOTMwMjQiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.kzdS6NxIQb1ZrLGLWwOsRr1ITOQ0ATTnVcDcMOLDISQ&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email#play

/[  Back to ecology  ]//
///*As animals vanish, the plants they spread can’t keep pace with
climate change*
by Liz Kimbrough on 19 January 2022
As animals vanish, the plants they spread can't keep pace with climate
change. As the climate warms, many species will need to change locations
to stay within a hospitable temperature range. ... So, just a small
decline in the number of animal species leads to a massive decline in
plants' ability to track climate change.

    - - As the climate warms, many species will need to change locations
    to stay within a hospitable temperature range. Half of the world’s
    plants are dispersed by animals, but as animals are lost from
    ecosystems, plants are not moving as far.

    - - The loss of birds and mammals has reduced the ability of
    animal-dispersed plants to track climate change by 60%, according to
    new research.

    - - When animals die off in an ecosystem, we’re often losing the
    large ones first — those that are the best at long-distance
    dispersal. So, just a small decline in the number of animal species
    leads to a massive decline in plants’ ability to track climate change.

    - - This first global analysis of the loss of seed-dispersers
    demonstrates the interconnectedness of the climate change and
    biodiversity crises — two of the nine planetary boundaries
    identified by scientists. The destabilization and overshoot of one
    or more of these boundaries due to human interference could cause
    the failure of critical Earth operating systems.

Animals that eat fruit and spread the seeds in their droppings offer an
all-inclusive transportation service for half the world’s flora. But as
more seed-dispersing birds and mammals die off globally, some of these
plant species will lose their ability to shift their locations to keep
pace with escalating climate change, says new research.

“When you hear the headlines about the biodiversity crisis, some call it
the sixth mass extinction, that decline of birds and mammals also means
the decline of seed dispersers,” Evan Fricke, lead author of the new
study, recently published in Science, told Mongabay.

Fricke and colleagues reported that the loss of birds and mammals has
reduced the ability of animal-dispersed plants to track climate change
by 60%.

This number “is somewhere in the alarm bell territory,” Fricke told
Mongabay. “I hope [this finding] focuses people’s attention on the
importance of seed-disperser biodiversity for plant adaptation to
climate change.”

“If there are no animals available to eat their fruits or carry away
their nuts,” Fricke said in a press release, “animal-dispersed plants
aren’t moving very far.”
https://news.mongabay.com/2022/01/as-animals-vanish-the-plants-they-spread-cant-keep-pace-with-climate-change/

/[The news archive - looking back at learning the difference between
weather and climate  video ]/
*On this day in the history of global warming January  21, 2009 *
January 21, 2009: Peter Sinclair's "Climate Denial Crock of the Week"
video series debuts.
*Climate Denial Crock of the Week- "It's cold. So there's no Climate
Change"*
Jan 21, 2009
greenman3610
"I looked outside, and it was snowing, therefore, there is no climate
change."
If that's what passes for rational thought in your social group, you owe
it to yourself to watch this edition of Climate Denial Crock of the Week.
http://youtu.be/l0JsdSDa_bM

   Privacy and Security: This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry