[✔️] July 3, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sun Jul 3 09:38:48 EDT 2022

/*July 3, 2022*/

/[  the US military opinion ] /
*Climate Change Isn’t a Threat Multiplier. It’s the Main Threat.*
Over the next six months, the defense community should champion and help
plan a whole-of-society “hyper-response.”
https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/07/climate-change-isnt-threat-multiplier-its-main-threat/368814/

/[ Tweet ]/
*The New York Times*
@nytimes
The dangers of climate change are mounting so rapidly that they could
soon overwhelm the ability of both nature and humanity to adapt unless
greenhouse gas emissions are quickly reduced, according to a UN report
by 270 researchers from 67 countries.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1542734799814774789

/[ 12 min video history of warnings from climate scientists -- starting
1912 - the video is from last week ]/
*Climate Change: We Were Warned!*
Jun 30, 2022  The science of climate change isn't new - the greenhouse
effect was first suggested centuries ago. But when were we first warned
about the dangers of global warming? Over the past decades, scientists
from James Hansen to Charles Keeling to Exxon have raised the alarm in
every way you could think of. I look back at these climate change
warnings, and see how they hold up today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLIaMR_I56o

/[ Worth viewing this talk  "Doomster or a Boomster?" -- understandable
climate science conclusion from Sabine Hossenfelder video lecture ]/
*Is Elon Musk right in saying that we are too few people?*
Jul 2, 2022
Should we worry about overpopulation or, as Elon Musk has argued, should
we worry more about underpopulation? How many people could live on our
planet and how close are we to reaching the "Limit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1AaZ9OkH8

/[  Warning about the future ]/
*A U.N. report took a close look at climate change, and gave a bleak
warning.*
Brad Plumer and Raymond Zhong  - - June 30, 2022
The dangers of climate change are mounting so rapidly that they could
soon overwhelm the ability of both nature and humanity to adapt unless
greenhouse gas emissions are quickly reduced, according to a major
scientific report released in February.

The report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a body of
experts convened by the United Nations, is the most detailed look yet at
the threats posed by global warming. It concludes that nations aren’t
doing nearly enough to protect cities, farms and coastlines from the
hazards that climate change has unleashed so far, such as record
droughts and rising seas, let alone from the even greater disasters in
store as the planet continues to warm.

Written by 270 researchers from 67 countries, the report is “an atlas of
human suffering and a damning indictment of failed climate leadership,”
said António Guterres, the United Nations secretary general. “With fact
upon fact, this report reveals how people and the planet are getting
clobbered by climate change.”

The perils are already visible across the globe, the report said. In
2019, storms, floods and other extreme weather events displaced more
than 13 million people across Asia and Africa. Rising heat and drought
are killing crops and trees, putting millions worldwide at increased
risk of hunger and malnutrition, while mosquitoes carrying diseases like
malaria and dengue are spreading into new areas. Roughly half the
world’s population currently faces severe water scarcity at least part
of the year.

Few nations are escaping unscathed. Blistering heat waves made worse by
global warming have killed hundreds of people in the United States and
Canada, ferocious floods have devastated Germany and China, and
wildfires have raged out of control in Australia and Siberia.

“One of the most striking conclusions in our report is that we’re seeing
adverse impacts that are much more widespread and much more negative
than expected,” said Camille Parmesan, an ecologist at the University of
Texas, Austin, and one of the researchers who prepared the report.

To date, many nations have been able to partly limit the damage by
spending billions of dollars each year on adaptation measures like flood
barriers, air-conditioning or early-warning systems for tropical cyclones.

But those efforts are too often “incremental,” the report said.
Preparing for future threats, like dwindling freshwater supplies or
irreversible ecosystem damage, will require “transformational” changes
that involve rethinking how people build homes, grow food, produce
energy and protect nature.

The report also carries a stark warning: If temperatures keep rising,
many parts of the world could soon face limits in how much they can
adapt to a changing environment. If nations don’t act quickly to slash
fossil fuel emissions and halt global warming, more and more people will
suffer unavoidable loss or be forced to flee their homes, creating
dislocation on a global scale.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/30/us/supreme-court-epa?

/[  One state decides how to act  ] /
*Maine public schools to implement climate education starting with
teacher training*
Phil Hirschkorn - - Jun 30, 2022
YORK, Maine —  Lydia Blume, who has represented the southern Maine beach
town of York for the past eight years, says climate change is not an
abstract future concept.

York was the first Maine town to put sea-level rise in its comprehensive
plan and has since constructed a two-mile sea wall Long Sands Beach to
combat erosion made worse by encroaching sea level rise.

“Every storm we have rocks and debris brought upon the road, and it has
to be shoveled out,” Blume said in an interview along the sea wall.
“This will buy us time.”

The Maine Climate Council projects the Gulf of Maine waters could rise
by a foot-and-a-half by 2050, putting $1 billion of private property
along the York coast at risk.

Blume said, “If we can do it here in York, every coastal community in
Maine can do it, because it’s going to affect all of us in different ways.”

Blume channeled her concerns about climate change to craft a bill passed
by the Maine State Legislature and signed by Gov. Janet Mills this
spring allocating $2 million for grants over the next three years for a
pilot program to train teachers how to better educate kids about climate
change.

“I think it’s going to be welcomed, and I think our students will be
better off because of it,” Blume said. "It is happening so fast that
teachers need more professional development in this area."

The Maine Department of Education is expected to hire a coordinator in
August who will ensure school districts in all 16 counties have a chance
to apply for the grants
With help from the Nature Based Education Consortium, a Maine-based
collaborative network of outdoor learning leaders, WMTW discovered a
pair of York County science teachers who are interested in applying for
the training.

"Earth science, atmosphere, and ocean science. it's all connected. It
all plays a role in climate science," said York County teacher of the
year Melissa Luetje.

Luetje already incorporates climate change in her science classes at
Kennebunk High School.

Luetje said, "If it's done well, then you are empowering youth to make a
change and be an advocate for climate change education and changes in
the way that government and people do things, and that's just a win-win."

Kosi Ifeji, who just graduated from Bangor High School and turns 18 next
month before heading to Tulane University, was among the youth climate
activists who lobbied legislators to approve the bill and other policies
to address climate change.

Ifeji said she had been hungry for climate ed but left school unsatisfied.

Ifeji said, "I had only two weeks in climate education, once in
sophomore year, and then it was never formally brought up in the
curricula before that or after that."

Sanford Middle School science teacher Diana Allen said the phenomenon of
the Gulf of Maine being one of the fastest-warming bodies of water in
the world presents learning opportunities.

"My look at it is through the lens of human activity and how humans are
impacting our environment," Allen said in an interview. “So, you dig
into an investigation, and you plow through it, and you look for what
are the problems, what are the causes?"

Allen, Leutje, and Ifeji gathered this week at the Ecology School, in
Saco, with other advocates to celebrate the new law.

Ifeji said, "I really hope that this is a launching off point for more
long-term and comprehensive climate education standards and goals in the
state."

Blume said climate ed would be incorporated in the state’s next
generation science standards.

The science teachers said they intend for climate ed to help develop
students’ critical thinking skills and inspire them to think about
solutions.

Allen said, “This is something that we are all living with, and what
better to do than to educate our children about what this looks like,
what’s the cause, and what can we do?”

Luetje said, “Students need to know this isn’t the status quo. We didn’t
grow up with this. This doesn’t have to be their normal.”
https://www.wmtw.com/article/middle-child-terry-rasmussen-documentary/40486125

/[  Explanation  video ] /
*Expert Warns of Rise in “Mass Casualty” Events as a Result of Climate
Change | Amanpour **and Company*
Jul 1, 2022  The Supreme Court has voted to curb the Environmental
Protection Agency’s ability to regulate carbon emissions. This comes
amid a period of increasingly extreme weather around the world. More
than 40 million Americans were under heat advisory last week. Kristie
Ebi has been researching the health risks of climate change for decades,
and she tells Hari Sreenivasan that death rates will increase unless
response systems are improved. Their conversation is part of the ongoing
public media initiative Peril and Promise, on the challenges and the
solutions to climate change.
Originally aired on July 1, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Np-fg8hnY

/[ The US Patent Office seriously looking for inventions to save our
sorry asses from global warming ]/
*USPTO Introduces Climate Change Mitigation Pilot Program*
Miku Mehta, Jeffrey Morton, PhD
Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP
[co-authors: Erica Spence, Alejandro Echeverria] - - July 1, 2022

Throughout history, innovation and human intellect have been the main
factors for solving humankind’s problems. Today, climate change has
become a major threat and can no longer be ignored. On June 3, 2022, the
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) introduced the Climate
Change Mitigation Pilot Program, its newest initiative to advance
particular technical fields of interest. The program is committed to
granting expedited review of patent applications that relate to clean
and green energy technologies to combat the climate change crisis.

For a limited period of time, the USPTO will accept up to 1,000
qualifying patent applications for the program. Similar to existing
accelerated examination programs, the program will fast-track the
examination of certain patent applications. This time, however, it is
for innovations that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Under this
expedited review, a patent application that would normally take two and
a half years to prosecute can be prosecuted to final disposition (e.g.,
allowance) within twelve months.

As outlined in the relevant Federal Register notice, here are key
requirements to participate:

    - Applications must contain one or more patent claims directed to a
    product or process that mitigates climate change by reducing
    greenhouse gas emissions.If a reply to a non-final office action is
    not fully responsive because it does not comply with the
    above-describe claim requirements but is a bona fide attempt to
    advance the application to final action, the patent examiner may
    provide a shortened two (2) month response deadline...

- -
This program is expected to accelerate hundreds of patent applications
for technologies that address climate change. By facilitating the
accelerated prosecution of these patentable innovations, the USPTO aims
to boost efforts to promote technologies that will help address climate
change issues. Patent applicants and inventors are well advised to work
with their trusted patent counsel to determine whether pending filings
or new inventions could appropriately be filed under this new program.
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/uspto-introduces-climate-change-5370808/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*July 3, 2009*/
July 3, 2009: Alaska Governor Sarah Palin announces her resignation
from  office; shortly thereafter, she sets herself up as a right-wing
crusader against federal climate legislation.

http://youtu.be/kM0ZbNA8_ro

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/20/sarah-palin/palin-flips-her-support-cap-and-trade/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*