[✔️] July 5, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Tue Jul 5 09:08:34 EDT 2022

/*July 5, 2022*/

/[  Science Friday audio 17 minutes - and transcript   ] /
*The Scientist Rebellion: “We’re Not Exaggerating” About The Climate Crisis*
Peter Kalmus is a climate scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab
Rose Abramoff is a global change ecologist based in Knoxville,
7/1/2022
Earlier this year, more than 1,000 scientists in 26 countries risked
arrest during protests against climate change inaction. In Washington
D.C., Rose Abramoff and other demonstrators chained themselves to the
White House fence before being arrested. Across the country, Peter
Kalmus chained himself to the doors of a JPMorgan Chase & Co. Bank in
Los Angeles and gave an impassioned speech: “The scientists of the world
are being ignored. And it’s got to stop. We’re going to lose everything.
And we’re not joking. We’re not lying. We’re not exaggerating.”

Just recently, the Supreme Court recently cut the Environmental
Protection Agency’s power (EPA) to regulate carbon emissions, a major
step back in the climate movement.

Abramoff, a global change ecologist based in Knoxville, Tennessee, and
Kalmus, a climate scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab based in Los
Angeles, California, are members of an international group of scientists
called Scientist Rebellion, who committed to sounding the alarms about
the climate crisis. They join Ira to talk about the state of the climate
movement, what it’s like to be a climate activist in the United States,
and the power of disruption...
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/scientist-rebellion-climate-crisis/

/[ clips from an Opinion in NYTimes   ] /
*Another Step Toward Climate Apocalypse*
PAUL KRUGMAN - - July 4, 2022
Climate change is already doing immense damage, and it’s probably only a
matter of time before we experience huge catastrophes that take
thousands of lives.

And the Republican majority on the Supreme Court just voted to limit the
Biden administration’s ability to do anything about it...
- -
Climate change is already doing immense damage, and it’s probably only a
matter of time before we experience huge catastrophes that take
thousands of lives.

And the Republican majority on the Supreme Court just voted to limit the
Biden administration’s ability to do anything about it.
- -
So what explains the Republican climate difference? One natural answer
is “follow the money”: In the 2020 election cycle the oil and gas
industry gave 84 percent of its political contributions to Republicans;
for coal mining, the number was 96 percent.

But I suspect that money is only part of the story; in fact, to some
extent the causation may run the other way, with the fossil fuel sector
backing Republicans because they’re anti-environment rather than the
other way around.

My skepticism about a simple follow-the-money story comes from a couple
of observations. One is that Republicans have staked out anti-science
positions on other issues, like Covid vaccination, where the monetary
considerations are far less obvious: As far as I know, the coronavirus
isn’t a major source of campaign contributions.

Also, while the Republican position on climate is an outlier compared
with “normal” conservative parties, it’s actually typical for right-wing
populist parties. (Side note: I hate the use of the word “populist”
here, because Republicans have shown no inclination toward policies that
would actually help workers. But I guess we’re stuck with it.)

In other words, the politics of climate policy look a lot like the
politics of authoritarian government and minority rights: The Republican
Party looks more like Hungary’s Fidesz or Poland’s Law and Justice than
like the center-right parties other countries call conservative.

Why, exactly, are authoritarian right-wing parties anti-environment?
That’s a discussion for another day. What’s important right now is that
the United States is the only major nation in which an authoritarian
right-wing party — which lost the popular vote in seven of the past
eight presidential elections yet controls the Supreme Court — has the
ability to block actions that might prevent climate catastrophe.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/04/opinion/another-step-toward-climate-apocalypse.html

/[ Play computer games ]/
*Ubisoft plans to use in-game events to teach about climate change*
"Changes need to raise awareness and encourage others to consider
additional ecological causes that need attention."
News by Vikki Blake - -  2 Jul 2022
- -
  Ubisoft says it will host a "short and intense" in-game event in
Phoenix which will promote "strategies to reduce wildfire frequency and
size as well as have an emotional impact on players regarding the
consequences of wildfires"...
- -
Similarly, its upcoming pirate adventure, for Skull & Bones, will
feature an event that “will address resource exploitation, showing what
happens in the game world and the real world when the demand for sharks’
fins results in the overfishing of sharks. Players will have the choice
to contribute to marine wildlife protection and comprehend the
destructive nature of the shark fin trade".

"Like our current societal challenges, changes need to be collaborative,
raise awareness, and encourage others to learn of and consider
additional ecological causes that need attention," the publisher said
(thanks, NME).

"In Ubisoft’s upcoming AAA title Skull & Bones, players spend a
significant amount of time out at sea, in our oceans. As pirates
fighting for survival, the ocean is their home, their world.

"Much like our own oceans, this world provides many resources to benefit
them on their adventure but also opens the possibility of exploitation."

Ubisoft has said it will attend Gamescom 2022 even though many other
publishers have confirmed they are skipping the show this year. A brief
message posted to Ubisoft's Twitter revealed the publisher would be
present at this August's Cologne-based convention, though did not detail
what games might be on offer.

Ubisoft's decision comes after the recent pull-outs from Sony, Nintendo,
Activision Blizzard and Take-Two, which have all chosen not to attend.
Microsoft has yet to make an announcement - though it's unclear what it
might bring.
https://www.eurogamer.net/ubisoft-plans-to-use-in-game-events-to-teach-about-climate-change

/[ hunger briefing - -video ]/
*Press Briefing: Hunger, the Climate Crisis and the Future of Food*
Jun 29, 2022  We know climate change threatens food and water worldwide,
and we know that how we produce food and use water helps drive climate
change. How do we as journalists tell this complex story so that
policymakers and everyday people alike understand it and feel empowered
to act?

Our panelists discussed climate’s role in the burgeoning global food
crisis, how refining our approach to water management and water use in
our food systems can pay vast climate dividends, and how farming
practices that prioritize soil health and biodiversity can be not only
better for the planet but better for farmers’ bottom lines.

We were joined by:
Gabe Brown, a North Dakotan farmer of Brown’s Ranch who transitioned his
5,000 acres to regenerative agriculture and is advising farmers working
an additional 32 million acres

Peter Gleick, co-founder of the Pacific Institute, a MacArthur fellow,
and one of the world’s top scientists on climate change and water

Raj Patel, a professor at the University of Texas, a member of the
International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems, and the
author of Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System

Mark Hertsgaard, CCNow’s executive director and environment
correspondent at The Nation magazine, moderated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7_2PHgvr4w

/[ now a wise old man with a full beard  ] /
*Noam Chomsky issues warning*
Jun 27, 2022
Dr. Chomsky defines three possible cataclysmic disasters humans face.
Climate change, a nuclear accident or provocation and the newest, and
perhaps most frustrating is our current inability to engage in rational
discourse because of the most dangerous organization in human history.

Taped in Albuquerque, NM at the University of New Mexico during the
American Solar Energy Society's 51st Annual Conference, June 21, 2022.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIv-glBvrrc

/[ clips of his concluding words -- below]/

      You're all of course familiar with the famous doomsday clock
      -- set every year by a distinguished panel of analysts who assess the
      state of the world -- set the hands of the clock a certain
distance from midnight meaning termination.
      The clock was first set in 1947  -- seven minutes to midnight

      1953 -- when humans had demonstrated the capacity to destroy
everything the minute hand was set at two minutes to midnight.
      Since then it's oscillated that's recognition of the threat grew
analysts began to take global warming into account

      Midway into president trump's term in office the minute hand was
again set
      at two minutes to midnight first time since 1953.
      By the end of his term the analysts abandoned minutes turned to
seconds 100 seconds to midnight where the clock stands now.

      The clock will be set again in January good case can be made that
the second hand should be moved closer to midnight the primary concerns
have been the growing threat of nuclear war and the failure to prevent
lethal global heating.

      In the last few years a new concern has been added -- the
deterioration of the arena of rational discourse which is all too apparent.
      Unless we can use our capacities for thought in an arena of
rational discourse
      there's no hope of closing the dread yet in time to save ourselves.

      There is a still deeper question which merits a final word concerns
      the famous Fermi Paradox -- in brief  "where are they?"
      Fermi was a distinguished astrophysicist, he knew that there are a
huge number of planets that have the conditions to sustain life to lead
to higher intelligence and that are within the reach of advanced human
communication.

      But with the most assiduous search, we can find no trace of their
existence.
      So where are they?
      Well one response that has been seriously proposed, and cannot be
dismissed,
      is that higher intelligence has developed innumerable times but
has proven to be lethal.

      It discovered the means for self-annihilation but did not develop
the moral capacity to prevent it.

      Perhaps that's even an inherent feature of what we call higher
intelligence.

      Well we are now engaged in an experiment to determine whether this
grim principle holds of modern humans.
      There's not much time to find the answer or more precisely to
determine the answer
      as we will do one way or another -- that cannot be avoided.
      One way or another, we will determine the answer or more
accurately -- you will determine the answer.

      Like it or not, faith has placed the current generation in a
position will where it will determine whether we march on to disaster or
whether the human species
      and much other life on earth can be saved from a terrible,
indescribable fate.
      The means are available.
      You're in the lead in developing them and demonstrating how they
can be implemented.
      It's an incredible challenge there's been nothing like it in human
history
      which will proceed to an inglorious end -- unless you can lead the way
      to facing and overcoming the challenges that lie before us.

     Thank you
Taped in Albuquerque, NM at the University of New Mexico during the
American Solar Energy Society's 51st Annual Conference, June 21, 2022.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIv-glBvrrc
//

/[ The news archive -  the history of a carbon tax... everyone knows and
agrees that it is great and exonomically necessary, AND will NEVER take
place --  not ever ]/

/*July 5, 2012*/

July 5, 2012: Economist Yoram Bauman and law professor Shi-Ling Hsu
point out the benefits of a federal carbon tax in a New York Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/opinion/a-carbon-tax-sensible-for-all.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*