[✔️] July 29, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Fri Jul 29 10:33:29 EDT 2022

/*July 29, 2022*/

/[  so that's how it works ] /
*Solar stocks jump as Schumer, Manchin announce climate spending deal*
JUL 28 2022
-- Solar stocks jumped Thursday after Senate Majority Leader Chuck
Schumer, D-N.Y., and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., said they’ve reached a
deal on climate spending.
-- The package earmarks a record $369 billion for climate and clean
energy provisions.
-- “The entire clean energy industry just breathed an enormous sigh of
relief,” said American Clean Power CEO Heather Zichal.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/28/solar-stocks-jump-as-schumer-manchin-announce-climate-spending-deal.html

/[ We are not making progress, we are just not failing as much as we
used to  ] /
*Kevin Anderson methane is a transition fuel to 4ºC*
Jun 5, 2022  Visit: https://genn.cc
Kevin Anderson quotes:
“Senior academics are the new climate sceptics in my view!”

“Natural gas - Methane is a transition fuel… to 4ºC”

“We all paint a picture that fits with our world view but as we reassess
that world view repeatedly, eventually it doesn’t sit with our world view.”

“It is disturbing and interesting in the law that we will protect things
that are causing incredible damage and we will prosecute things that are
trying to stop that incredible damage being caused.”

“Particularly academics, we are paid to be honest and direct about our
research and we will sweeten the pill, hugely sweeten the pill in public
and I think that is deeply arrogant, of often very decent people, fast
we think the public can’t deal with it”
“The policymakers are simply not up to the job.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEL4ZfDbdE

[ punctuation as a verb -  this is a great summary by 3 experts. ]
*A Sleeping Giant: Why Permafrost is a Climate Threat | The Agenda*
Jan 17, 2022  Permafrost covers a quarter of the Northern Hemisphere's
land and stores twice as much organic carbon as Earth's atmosphere
currently holds. What happens when it starts to thaw? The Agenda
examines the climate threat of thawing permafrost, and why northern
roads and communities find themselves on shaky ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic90sLO3c_g

/[ Paleo-climatology ] /
*What Triggered The Collapse of The Ancient Maya? A New Study Reads Like
a Warning*
DAVID NIELD19 JULY 2022
Researchers have peered back through 800 years of history to conclude
that Mayapan – the capital of culture and politics for the Maya people
of the Yucatán Peninsula in the 13th and 14th century CE – may well have
been undone by drought.
That drought would have led to civil conflict, which would, in turn,
have brought about political collapse, according to the researchers.

People would then have retreated to smaller and safer settlements.

As well as giving us a useful insight into the history of this ancient
people, the new study is a warning as well: about how shifts in climate
can quickly put pressures on even the most well-established and
prosperous civilizations.

"Multiple data sources indicate that civil conflict increased
significantly, and generalized linear modeling correlates strife in the
city with drought conditions between 1400 and 1450 CE," write the
researchers in their published paper.

"We argue that prolonged drought escalated rival factional tensions, but
subsequent adaptations reveal region-scale resiliency, ensuring that
Maya political and economic structures endured until European contact in
the early 16th century CE."

The team already had a lot of historical records to work with, covering
population change, contemporary diets, and climate conditions.

These records were augmented with a new analysis of human remains for
signs of traumatic injury (pointing to conflict).

Correlations emerged between increased rainfall and an increased
population in the area, and between subsequent decreases in rainfall and
increased conflict. Prolonged drought during 1400-1450 CE most likely
led to the abandonment of Mayapan, the researchers say.
The lack of water would have affected agricultural practices and trade
routes, putting strain on the people of Mayapan, the study suggests. As
food got scarcer and the situation got more dangerous, people either
died or dispersed.

In the final mass grave dug before the city was abandoned, the
researchers report that many of the remains probably belonged to the
family members of the Cocoms (the heads of state) – a bloody end brought
on by competing factions and social unrest.

"Our findings support Mayapan's storied institutional collapse between
1441 and 1461 CE, a consequence of civil conflict driven by political
rivalry and ambition, which was embedded in the social memory of
Yucatecan peoples whose testimonies entered the written record of the
early Colonial Period," write the researchers.

Human responses to environmental pressures such as drought are clearly
complex, varying by region and by era – there are so many factors to
weigh up and balance when it comes to considering why a historical
population acted in the way that it did.

The movement of people to other parts of the Yucatán Peninsula,
including prosperous coastal towns and politically independent
settlements, helped the Maya culture continue to thrive after the fall
of Mayapan – and there was little evidence of any conflict between these
regions before Spanish rule started.

That's testament to a "resilient system of human-environmental
adaptations," the researchers say, but adaptations can only get you so
far. These same regions, along with the rest of the world, are once
again facing up to a climate crisis.

"Archaeological and historical records are well suited for examining
past societal effects of climate crises over long-term cycles," write
the researchers.

"The Maya region offers the breadth and depth of archaeological,
historical, and climate records essential for studying correlations
between social change and fluctuating climate conditions."

The research has been published in Nature Communications.
https://www.sciencealert.com/it-may-well-have-been-drought-that-led-to-the-collapse-of-the-maya-capital

- -

/[  Academic publication - Nature Communications  ]/
Published: 19 July 2022
*Drought-Induced Civil Conflict Among the Ancient Maya*
Douglas J. Kennett, Marilyn Masson, …David A. Hodell Show authors
Nature Communications volume 13, Article number: 3911 (2022) Cite this
article
*Abstract*
The influence of climate change on civil conflict and societal
instability in the premodern world is a subject of much debate, in part
because of the limited temporal or disciplinary scope of case studies.
We present a transdisciplinary case study that combines archeological,
historical, and paleoclimate datasets to explore the dynamic, shifting
relationships among climate change, civil conflict, and political
collapse at Mayapan, the largest Postclassic Maya capital of the Yucatán
Peninsula in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries CE. Multiple data
sources indicate that civil conflict increased significantly and
generalized linear modeling correlates strife in the city with drought
conditions between 1400 and 1450 cal. CE. We argue that prolonged
drought escalated rival factional tensions, but subsequent adaptations
reveal regional-scale resiliency, ensuring that Maya political and
economic structures endured until European contact in the early
sixteenth century CE.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31522-x

/[The news archive - looking back 14 years ago ]/
/*July 29, 2008*/
July 29, 2008: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann covers "...the headlines breaking
in the administration‘s 50 running scandals—Bushed.

      "Number three: Blood for oil-gate.  Remember when the people who
    said the Iraq war was designed to benefit the oil industry?  The
    Republicans responded by calling those people 'tinfoil hat'
    conspiracy theorists. And then the Republicans started saying we
    have to stay in Iraq because otherwise al Qaeda might get the oil
    and raise the price of gas.

    "Well, the pretext is officially at an end! Richard Perle, one of
    the architects of the invasion of Iraq is, according to the Murdoch
    Street Journal, trying to invest in an oil drilling deal with the
    Kurds of Iraq even though the Bush administration is on record
    opposing any oil deals with the Kurds until the Iraq government
    straightens out which group owns what oil fields in Iraq."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ro5f7x4cM

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*