[✔️] June 18, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sat Jun 18 08:35:39 EDT 2022

/*June  18, 2022*/

/[ time to avoid beef for a while, maybe forever  ]/
*Heat Kills Thousands of Cows in Kansas*
Temperatures soared into the 100s in Kansas, causing as many as 10,000
cattle deaths.
By Molly Taft - June 17, 2022
High temperatures in Kansas last weekend killed thousands of cattle,
authorities confirmed this week, after footage of rows of cattle corpses
was widely shared online.

    see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUf3UleOgI
    top comment "I have lived in Kansas since 1982 and have known and
    been involved with farmers and cattlemen for most of that. I have
    never seen anything like this happen before this"

A spokesperson for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment told
multiple media outlets that the agency had gotten reports of at least
2,000 cattle deaths that happened over the weekend of June 11-12 in the
southwestern part of the state. The agency said that the number comes
from the farms that asked for help in getting rid of the bodies, since
cattle ranchers aren’t required to report deaths to the agency, a
spokesperson told NPR. This indicates that the actual death toll could
be much higher: Industry estimates put the number of cattle that died as
high as 10,000.
Temperatures reached as high as 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 degrees
Celsius) in parts of the state last weekend. Making matters worse, winds
dropped and humidity spiked, creating deadly conditions for the cattle.
“It was essentially a perfect storm,” AJ Tarpoff, a veterinarian at
Kansas State University, told Reuters.

Kansas wasn’t the only place that baked last weekend. These conditions
were part of a massive heatwave that has swept across the country in
recent days. Heat records in the triple digits were set last weekend in
Western states from California to Texas, while temperatures climbed to
the 90s and beyond in the middle of the week in several states in the
Midwest and the South as the heat moved east. Next week, the NWS
predicts excessive heat will hit as far north as South Dakota all the
way down to the Gulf Coast and stretching to the Carolinas and Florida.
In its groundbreaking report issued last year, the Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change found that heatwaves that used to occur once
every 10 years are now happening twice as often, thanks to climate change.
https://gizmodo.com/heat-kills-thousands-of-cows-in-kansas-1849077289

/[ video account showing how fast the water has been dropping  ]/
*Lake Mead Drought Update!!! What's Going On?!!!*
569,040 views  Jun 17, 2022  Sin City Outdoors' Amazon Store -
https://amzn.to/2XemobW
Sin City Website - https://www.sincityoutdoors.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBG_aVkv4s

/[posting international daily disaster videos -- where did she get the
idea?  ]/
*Vulnerability*
Relevant and fresh news about natural disasters on Earth. Be aware of
events!
https://www.youtube.com/c/VulnerabilityVaucherie/videos

/[ Greatly needed, new fields of medical study ]/
*Climate & Health Program*
School of Medicine
Building on the success of its Physician Fellowship in Climate & Health,
the University of Colorado School of Medicine is pleased to announce a
new professional development program for health care providers of all
specialties.
Climate Medicine Diploma video https://youtu.be/XAitDpXVQWY
Diploma in Climate Medicine CU Anschutz
*The Diploma in Climate Medicine *from the CU School of Medicine offers the
highest level of professional distinction for expertise and leadership
on this growing health crisis.
- -
*Disaster Response and Recovery*
Disaster Response and Recovery Lancet has called climate change the
“biggest global health threat of the 21st century.” Consider that
wildfires are more intense and longer lasting than ever before. We have
suffered from months of persistent air degradation across huge swaths of
our country, resulting in untold illness. We have experienced flooding,
structural damage and displacement from hurricanes, each year
increasingly energized from warmer average temperatures. The data tell
us that chaotic changes to our ecosystems are undermining healthy
living, exacerbating illness, and stressing social determinants of
health. The list of climate-related health effects is no different than
a busy emergency department triage list: fainting (from extreme heat),
shortness of breath (from degraded air quality and increased
aeroallergens), fever (from vector-borne diseases), vomiting and
diarrhea (from diminished water quality), and trauma (from extreme
weather events). Understanding the root causes and responses to
disasters will be a crucial part of your DiCM experience.
- -
*Global Challenges*
The first four courses will give you a firm foundation on the health
impacts of climate change: Heat stress (from extreme heat), dyspnea from
degraded air quality and aeroallergen spikes, fevers from vector-borne
diseases, vomiting and diarrhea from diminished water quality, and
trauma from extreme weather events and increased civil discord. This
final course will turn its lens toward international challenges and
issues of global governance.

We’ll examine how climate change health impacts are exacerbated by poor
governance in regions with little to no resiliency, stoking civil
discord due to food and water insecurity from droughts that cause crop
failures and food price spikes and kindle unrest.

We’ll examine how climate change has threatened human security through
population displacement, violent conflict, and poverty entrenchment. We
will dig deeper into how extreme heat events in Central America and
Southeast Asia have been associated with chronic kidney failure in
middle-aged agricultural workers. We will discuss climate models that
predict that by 2050, simply being outside in the Middle East will be
life-threatening. We will study forced displacement and start with the
haunting resettlement map of diaspora from Hurricane Katrina as well as
the low-lying Pacific island nations, which will be underwater by the
year 2100.

Adding to this final synthesis, in partnership with the Council on
Foreign Relations, we’ll dissect the many institutions, treaties,
compacts and contracts of global governance, including the IPCC, COP
conferences, historic protocols and treaties. We’ll touch upon concepts
of geoengineering, and how “hail Mary” grand solutions could affect
global health.

Final course in the diploma will feature a capstone project where you,
as a future diplomate, will integrate these many lessons into a
cumulative synthesis to share with faculty and peers.
https://medschool.cuanschutz.edu/climateandhealth/diploma-in-climate-medicine#ft-course-descriptions-2

/[ From DeSmog  ]/
*The History of Junk Science, Alarmists, and Climate Prophets*
Denier and delayer communication strategies aren’t new; in fact they
have always been central to the fossil fuel industry and its allies’
climate obstruction.

In the 1990s, for example, “sound science” was an expression used by
climate deniers to attack and counter climate science — or “junk
science,” as some deniers, such as former Fox News columnist and founder
of the website JunkScience.com Steve Milloy, referred to the work of
climate scientists like Michael E.Mann.

In another past strategy, that’s now regaining steam, climate deniers
and delayers have been employing the terms “realists” and “alarmists.”
In 2020, Cambridge University researcher Giulio Corsi and I analyzed the
use of these terms on Twitter, finding a 900 percent increase in their
use over the previous four years. As the climate movement was gaining
international attention with massive protests between 2018 and 2019, we
saw that spikes in tweets about “alarmism” and “realism” often
corresponded to high-profile speeches by activist Greta Thunberg. The
trend also coincided with the Heartland Institute, a U.S. think tank and
notorious promoter of climate disinformation, enlisting young German
YouTuber Naomi Seibt as a counter-figure to Thunberg to denounce her and
climate scientists’ “alarmism.”
- -
For decades, deniers have used rhetoric likening those who warn about
the catastrophic impacts of the climate emergency to someone who is “out
of touch with reality.” You can find it in the 1998 American Petroleum
Institute “action plan,” born just a few months after the Kyoto Protocol
and developed by Exxon, Chevron, Southern Company, and representatives
from conservative organizations, including Milloy. The memo clearly
stated that: “Victory will be achieved when those promoting the treaty
on the basis of extant science appear to be out of touch with reality.”
[Emphasis added.]

Both uses of language – “sound science” versus “junk science” and
“alarmists” versus “realists” – create an “us versus them” dynamic. The
result is two polarizing, and utterly fabricated, positions on climate
science.

We can see the fossil fuel industry using language in a similar way in
its public-facing propaganda, projecting political meaning on its opponents.

“Propaganda is about manipulating public opinions, stoking fears, and
sewing divisions,” said Arena. “When they talk about ‘the woke’ or the
‘climate industrial complex’ or ‘activist extremists,’ that is all
propaganda. The industry is blaming rising gas prices on ‘woke liberals’
or on renewables or on climate activism.  Those are false narratives and
they are propaganda-based.”
According to John Cook, founder of Skeptical Science and research fellow
at Monash Climate Change Communication Research Hub in Australia, fossil
fuel industry propaganda has been intensifying the “othering” of climate
scientists and advocates for climate action for some time.

“There’s a lot of terminology that has become more powerful in sending
that signal that climate advocates are different,” said Cook. “Labels to
say, ‘these people who care about climate change are trying to change
society.’” Climate denial is intimately connected to values like
individual freedom and free market fundamentalism, he explained. That’s
why those labels are often extended in meaning to accuse climate
advocates of a “radical liberal agenda,” said Arena.
- -
*The Supposed Church of Climate Change *
Another linguistic tactic used to denigrate those who support climate
action is to cast an issue with roots in science — climate change — as
one of religion. In Italy, for example, the daily newspaper Il Foglio
uses pseudo-religious terms when referencing climate change: ecology
becomes “a religion to replace canceled Christianity” where “you kiss
trees and worship whales;” switching to an electric car is “fanatical;”
climate change is referred to as “dogma.” And Friday, the Italian paper
writes, has become the day of “forced conversion to sustainability” when
youth climate activists go on strike from school, as part of Greta’s
“children’s crusade.”

Associating climate change with religion reinforces the denier message
that the build-up of greenhouse gases and its far-reaching global
impacts is actually a matter of faith and has nothing to do with a
factual, physical reality in the form of heatwaves and hurricanes. In
this scenario, climate advocates seem unreasonable, disconnected from
reality and unable to see things clearly. The effect is to relegate
those supporting climate science to one end of the spectrum, one where
we don’t need to address the intensifying impacts of heating the globe.
- -
*Don’t Worry, Just Adapt!*
Another narrative emerging from the denial and delayer camp is that
“adapting” to climate change will be our lifeline: Those perpetuating it
end up downplaying the impacts of the climate crisis because they say we
will be able to adapt to it.

In a May 31 Slate article about Alex Epstein’s new book Fossil Future,
which advocates for fossil fuels, Nitish Pahwa writes: “The new style of
climate denial is here: It’s not that carbon emissions aren’t
increasing, or aren’t warming the world, but look, you’re doing fine
right now, right? So, we’ll be just fine!”

On May 20, Stuart Kirk, the head of responsible investing for HSBC’s
asset management division, said at a Financial Times conference, “Who
cares if Miami is six meters underwater in 100 years? Amsterdam has been
six meters underwater for ages, and that’s a really nice place. We will
cope with it.” Kirk was later suspended for his comments.
This argument implies that working to slow climate change is futile and
offers adaptation as “the only possible response” to the climate crisis,
according to Roberts and his colleagues in their “Discourses of delay”
analysis.

“Every day there’s new discourses being invented either by the actors in
these industries that don’t want to make the energy transition or by
their public relations firms with tremendous capacity in terms of
developing new language discourses,” said Roberts.

Effective PR is a key element to designing a convincing greenwashing
campaign. “The PR and ad industry plays a central role in enabling
climate obstruction,” said Arena. And the American Petroleum Institute’s
“We’re on it” campaign is the perfect example of this. “They’re not on
it. The only thing that they’re on is architecting and spreading more
disinformation, which they are the quarterbacks of doing,” she added.

 From fossil fuel solutionism to adaptation-only narratives, these
climate obstruction tactics commandeer language in an attempt to
undermine one of the most urgent and far-reaching challenges of our day.
And the momentum behind such deceptive language is only building.

“We are on a dangerous trajectory,” Arena said. “I would say broadly
that climate disinformation and greenwashing are getting much worse, and
today we have many more examples to point to than we even did back when
the industry was trying to deny climate change altogether.”

Understanding how opponents of climate action employ these discourses of
delay is essential to recognizing climate disinformation and
misinformation, Arena said, and ultimately to disrupting it. “We have to
redouble our efforts to hold these companies and their enablers
accountable.”
https://www.desmog.com/2022/06/16/climate-deniers-fossil-fuel-language-obstruction/

/[ from Financial Times - an eloquent misinformer promoted adaptation --
with a great comment in YouTube  ]/
*HSBC's Stuart Kirk tells FT investors need not worry about climate risk*
152,380 views  May 20, 2022  HSBC Asset Management's head of responsible
investment Stuart Kirk speaking at the FT Live Moral Money Summit Europe
conference, accuses central bankers and policymakers of overstating the
financial risks of climate change.
- -
*great comment *
"Very impressive presentation.  Thank you  for a pure language of carbon
capitalism based on hopium.  Totally valid in itself.  The insurance
industry doesn't like increased wildfires, or stronger hurricanes.   And
today in Kansas come reports of 10,000 cattle dead from heat.  Corn is
at the top heat range of pollination.  Insects disappearing and fish
catches diminishing.  You forgot to notice. Permafrost melt is releasing
more methane - which you should know -- will act to intensify heating.
Global warming will require global solutions - the US seems trapped by
thinking from fossil fuel interests.  No matter, lessons not learned
will be repeated.  This is pure physics , unless you want to repeal the
laws of thermodynamics -- the ice will melt and the seas will rise - a
little more than 1/8 inch per year... for now.  It is an exponential
increase. Mitigation is just long term adaptation."
https://youtu.be/bfNamRmje-s

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*June 18, 2005*/

June 18, 2005: Investigative journalist Brad Friedman interviews White
House whistleblower Rick Piltz regarding the Bush Administration's
assault on science.

http://www.bradshow.com/Archives/BradShow_061805_Hour1_24k.mp3

http://www.bradshow.com/Archives/BradShow_061805_Hour4_24k.mp3

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*