[✔️] June 25, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sat Jun 25 08:32:52 EDT 2022

/*June  25, 2022*/

/[ Well, what did the NYTimes just discover? ] /
*Heat Waves Around the World Push People and Nations ‘To the Edge’*
Raymond Zhong -- June 24, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/24/climate/early-heat-waves.html

/[ Don't worry, because lessons not learned, will be repeated ]/
*Factual climate change reporting can influence Americans positively,
but not for long*
June 24, 2022
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/24/1107239912/climate-change-science-environment-global-warming-study-report

/[ a cynical report on issues of China - this time flooding in the first
6 mins of video ]/
*China DEVASTATED by Record-Breaking Floods | China Flood*
124,324 views  Jun 24, 2022  China has been devastated by
record-breaking floods and hundreds of thousands of people have been
forced to evacuate. The Biden administration is contemplating cutting
the Trump administration's China tariffs. And your Chinese coffee maker
could be spying on you. Watch this episode of China Uncensored for that
and more of this week's China news headlines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf0xtR7Py1Y

/[ increase chaotic destabilization from global heating ]/
*The changing face of hurricane fatalities*
Carbon monoxide poisoning, electrocution, and other indirect causes are
behind the bulk of recent U.S. hurricane deaths.
by BOB HENSON - - JUNE 23, 2022
It’s time to revisit how we see Americans falling prey to hurricanes,
according to new data from the National Hurricane Center (NHC). There’s
always the risk of a storm-surge catastrophe like 2005’s Katrina, or of
Category 5 winds slamming into poorly built homes, as with Andrew in
1992. Yet most U.S. hurricane deaths in recent years can be chalked up
to factors that lie beyond these well-recognized threats.

A first-cut analysis was presented by NHC’s two top leaders at recent
meetings sponsored by the American Meteorological Society:
- -
Analyzing all fatalities caused by hurricanes between 2017 and 2021 in
the contiguous United States, Brennan, Rhome, and colleagues found that
indirect deaths outnumbered direct deaths by 299 to 271. (Had this
analysis included Puerto Rico, the indirect-death numbers would have
been overwhelmed by 2017’s Hurricane Maria. The initial death toll was
64, but the final official toll incorporated an estimate of more than
2,900 hurricane-related deaths during the six months after Maria.)

Almost 30% of the indirect deaths reported by Rhome and Brennan stemmed
from disruptions to the power grid, an ever-more-consequential factor in
an increasingly wired world. Carbon monoxide poisoning – a notorious
risk when home generators are used improperly – claimed 48 lives.
Another 39 people died from electrocution and other hazards related to
power supply.

Other indirect fatalities stemmed from a variety of causes, including
vehicle incidents (49 deaths), recovery/prep accidents (34 deaths), and
heat-related issues (38). Most of the indirect deaths appeared to be
among people 60 or older, Brennan said.
Are surge deaths receding?
Even when looking at the 271 direct deaths, the picture is far different
from the classic hurricane image of storm surge and winds claiming lives
along and near the coast. In fact, only 3% of the direct deaths (eight
people) were from storm surge – five of those caused by Category 5
Hurricane Michael in 2018 – whereas freshwater flooding accounted for
65% of the direct deaths (175 people).

It’s not that the 2017-21 period lacked surge-producing landfalls.
Category 4 Hurricane Laura pushed dangerous surge into highly vulnerable
southwest Louisiana, including Cameron Parish, where storm surge claimed
more than 300 lives during Hurricane Audrey in 1957.

NHC has upped its surge-awareness efforts dramatically in recent years.
In the mid-2010s, NHC in public statements began to emphasize potential
inundations above ground level, a more intuitive concept than the surge
values that were long provided relative to mean sea level. Experimental
mapping launched in 2014 was followed in 2017 by the first official
storm surge watch and warning products. In 2020, NHC introduced an
experimental graphic depicting peak storm surge.

For Laura, NHC addressed the threat of storm surge inundations as high
as 15-20 feet with unusually strong wording. Several of the public
advisories for Laura stated, “Unsurvivable storm surge with large and
destructive waves will cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State
Park, Texas, to Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and
Sabine Lakes.”

Peak inundation from Laura just east of landfall was estimated in NHC’s
tropical cyclone report to be 18 feet above ground level, with several
reports in the 12- to 18-foot range (and waves above that level) in the
vicinity of Creole and Grand Chenier.

“We took a beating at the NHC for that,” Rhome said in his presentation,
referring to the use of “unsurvivable” to describe Laura’s expected
surge. Yet the wording may still have helped save lives. Rhome cited a
2015 post-Sandy study led by Jennifer Marlon (Yale School of the
Environment) that found 22% of coastal Connecticut residents could be
categorized as “diehards” resistant to evacuation under almost any
circumstance.

“If you apply that 22% to the census information in Cameron Parish,
somewhere around 1,500 [would] have stayed, ignored the message, said
‘phooey, I don’t care’.” Instead, Rhome noted, “there wasn’t a single
storm surge fatality or a single rescue.”

Against this recent backdrop of success, NHC and emergency managers now
are looking more closely at some less-emphasized threats. From 2017 to
2021, there were 38 deaths along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts from high
surf and rip current related to tropical cyclones. This total includes
eight fatalities from 2019’s Hurricane Lorenzo, the Atlantic’s
eastern-most Category 5 on record, which remained thousands of miles
away from the U.S. East Coast during its entire lifespan.

Trees brought down by high winds from tropical storms and hurricanes,
sometimes well inland, are another risk that deserves attention. The
study period included 28 wind-related deaths, many of them linked to
tree falls.

Despite the massive damage inflicted on Louisiana by a series of
hurricane landfalls between 2017 and 2021 – including two of Louisiana’s
strongest hurricanes on record – the state reported just 10 direct
fatalities in that period. Higher direct death tolls occurred in Texas
(77), North Carolina (45), New Jersey (33), Florida (27), and New York
(20). Most of the direct deaths over the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast
resulted from torrential rains and subsequent flooding from the remnants
of Hurricane Ida in 2021.

In contrast, indirect deaths were more prevalent closer to landfall
locations, where lengthy recovery processes were common, including in
Florida (127), Louisiana (55), Texas (46), and North Carolina (27).
Where might climate change push hurricane fatalities?
With signs evident that human-produced greenhouse gases may be enhancing
rainfall from some tropical cyclones, and further increases expected,
the deaths from Ida (see Figure 2) could be a harbinger of more to come.
Most of Ida’s 80-plus U.S. deaths came from catastrophic flooding in the
Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, hundreds of miles from where the storm made
landfall, whereas carbon monoxide poisoning caused a number of the
indirect fatalities in Louisiana.

As Ida’s remnants pushed toward the U.S. East Coast as a post-tropical
cyclone, forecasters gave ample notice of the dire flood threat taking
shape. Some of the region’s first-ever flash flood emergencies were
issued by local National Weather Service offices. Newark International
Airport reported 8.41” of rain on September 1, the highest calendar-day
total ever recorded at any major reporting site in the New York metro
area, and Central Park recorded its rainiest single hour (3.15”) in more
than 150 years of recordkeeping.

“We’re seeing rainfall rates that we haven’t seen before in some of
these urban areas,” Brennan said at the AMS hurricane conference.
“That’s certainly an important piece of this going forward, to make sure
that the messaging continues downstream as the winds weaken and the
storm may not even be a tropical cyclone anymore.”

Rhome, Brennan, and colleagues say they plan to expand their initial
work to include tropical cyclones from 2013 through 2016. Despite the
inherent limits in such a short study period, there are enough signals
to merit closer looks at a broad range of hurricane and post-hurricane
threats, especially issues related to the power grid and people’s desire
to keep juice flowing. This hazard isn’t limited to hurricanes: In the
Texas cold-wave disaster of February 2021, 20 people died from carbon
monoxide poisoning, with many other dying as a result of power and
heating loss.

As indirect deaths become a more common metric, challenges arise in
making apples-to-apples comparisons with historical hurricanes. Recent
techniques for assessing indirect fatalities (such as using death
certificates to estimate “excess” deaths, as was done for Maria) seldom
are applied to long-ago storms. What’s more, death tolls among Black
hurricane victims were underestimated for many decades, including a
longstanding undercount of more than 600 in the 1928 Lake Okeechobee
disaster alone. All this makes it harder to confidently assess long-term
trends in total fatalities.

What is clear is that the pieces holding together modern society –
especially access to power – can be ripped apart at frightening speed in
a hurricane, often taking days, weeks, or even months before they can be
reassembled, leaving vulnerable populations in dangerous places. Such
threats will be accentuated to the extent that landfalling hurricanes
intensify more rapidly, become stronger on average, move more slowly,
and/or dump heavier flood-producing rains.

Jeff Masters contributed to this post.
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/06/the-changing-face-of-hurricane-fatalities/

/[  it is still the CO2 emissions that is poisoning the future ] /
*Exxon Mobil is at a crossroads as climate crisis spurs clean energy
transition*
UPDATED THU, JUN 23 2022
Amanda Winograd
Exxon Mobil is one of the most consequential and profitable companies in
U.S. history. For more than a hundred years, the company’s oil and gas
have helped power the global economy.

But the Exxon Mobil of today faces the seemingly opposing priorities of
supplying the world with abundant energy and also drastically reducing
its carbon footprint to help stave off climate disaster. With
unprecedented access to company executives, workers and facilities,
David Faber explores whether Exxon Mobil is serious about taking on
global warming and how its actions match up with its words...
- -
*Disinformation accusation*
In fall 2021, Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., chairman of the House Oversight
Subcommittee on the Environment, launched an investigation into what the
big oil companies knew about climate change and when. He brought in the
CEOs of the oil majors to participate in a high-profile hearing.