[✔️] March 7, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Mar 7 09:00:37 EST 2022

/*March 7, 2022*//
/

/[ Catch up w/ 4 min video//from PBS last week //]
/*UN releases dire climate report highlighting rapid environmental
degradation*/
/Feb 28, 2022
PBS NewsHour
A new United Nations science report warned that the effects of climate
change are growing faster and more severe than expected. It cited
hunger, disease, poverty and other ills made worse by a warming planet
and indicated the repercussions may soon outstrip humanity's ability to
adapt. William Brangham reports./
/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDq_vlFBx24

/[ comment on Calif solar proposal - explanation on video  ]/
*The WAR on Residential Solar*
Mar 3, 2022
Two Bit da Vinci

There's a War on Residential Solar.
Solar energy is one of our favorite things, and it's been a great few
decades for the proliferation of residential solar. But a new bill
proposed by  California  law makers, might completely alter the future
of Solar in the Golden State. Let's take a deeper dive into what this
really means today on Two Bit da Vinci!
Link to Solar Bill: https://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/SearchRes.as...

Get Our NFT! https://geni.us/TwoBitNFT
Become a Patron! https://geni.us/TwoBitPatreon
Become a Youtube Member! https://geni.us/TwoBitMember
One Time Donation: https://geni.us/PaypalMe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdfPsPLRC9E

/[  NYTimes letter to the editor ] /
*A Dire Climate Report, and the Justices Aren’t Helping*
March 3, 2022

To the Editor:

Re “Time Is Running Out to Fix Climate, Report Says” (front page, March 1):

At a time when the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change has made the devastating effects of unbridled climate
change more apparent than ever, President Biden is fighting an uphill
battle to gain congressional support for essential federal programs
targeting America’s greenhouse gas emissions.

His job has only been made tougher by coal companies and a number of
Republican-led states that have just taken their latest battle against
meaningful federal intervention to the Supreme Court (“Justices Dispute
E.P.A. Power to Curb Emissions,” front page, March 1).

These defenders of dirty energy ground President Obama’s Clean Power
Plan to a halt, and their continued goal is to stymie the Environmental
Protection Agency’s ability to rein in carbon pollution from outmoded
power plants. What century are they living in?

The U.S. needs to meet our climate crisis head on. In that respect, Ross
Douthat’s call for a bolstered American birthrate in “‘My Fellow
Americans’: Four Times Columnists Channel Joe Biden” (Opinion, March 1)
is bizarrely out of place. In a country that is one of the world leaders
in per capita carbon pollution, it is folly to bolster birthrates in the
hope that someone will “come up with the invention or figure out the big
idea that makes the world a better place.”

Good ideas to advance that ambition abound; what we lack is the
political resolve to implement them.

Philip Warburg
Newton, Mass.
The writer is a senior fellow at Boston University’s Institute for
Sustainable Energy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/opinion/letters/climate-change-report.html

//

/[  Lots of editorial comments, where is the re-action?  ]/
*The Observer view on Ukraine and the climate emergency*
Observer editorial
The crisis must not become a reason to drop our commitment to net zero
target
The report last week by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC) on the need to adapt to global warming made stark, unpleasant
reading. Described by the UN secretary general, António Guterres, as “an
atlas of human suffering”, it revealed that billions of people now live
in parts of the world where they are highly vulnerable to climate change.

Death tolls from droughts, floods and storms are destined to increase in
these regions as extreme heat events and inundations become more
frequent. Only urgent action today can halt the worst impacts and
prevent a global calamity, argued the IPCC...
n a normal news week, warnings as dire as these would have made
front-page headlines in British newspapers. Events in Ukraine ensured
they were pushed inside, however. It is not surprising that the
unfolding humanitarian crisis occurring in eastern Europe should be the
prime focus of our attention and concern. However, there is a danger
that the battle for Ukraine may divert attention from the approaching
climate change crisis. Even before Russia launched its invasion and
triggered a leap in fuel prices, some Conservative backbench MPs had
been pressing for the government to cut back its green agenda, a move
that has since been followed with calls for fracking to be resumed in
the UK in order to boost fossil fuel production and help curb fuel price
increases.

These manoeuvres are being mounted by a collection of MPs and peers
known as the Net Zero Scrutiny Group. They have tried to blame the
government’s green agenda for a cost-of-living crisis, which they say
would be better addressed not by raising national insurance payments and
imposing green levies but by cutting taxes, resuming UK shale gas
extraction, and slowing down the rate at which we impose carbon emission
cuts.

Nor are these campaigns confined to the UK. Across the EU, calls have
been made for the bloc to reactivate old, decommissioned coal plants “as
a precaution and in order to be prepared for the worst”, as the German
economy minister, Robert Habeck, said last week...
Such proposals are alarming and the threats they pose should be made
clear to the public. In the case of shale gas production, there is
simply not enough in the UK to make up for the decline in our reserves
of North Sea gas, which have been occurring for more than a decade.
Fracking is also deeply unpopular with the public and given that any
shale gas extracted would have to be sold at international market
prices, it would have no impact on UK fuel bills. Shale gas has no part
to play in the generation of power in a Britain committed to playing a
leading role in the battle against global warming.
Nor is it realistic to consider reopening coal plants. Coal is the
dirtiest of all fossil fuels and any return to its widescale burning
across Europe would send the worst possible message to developing
nations currently resisting pressure to close down mines and ancient
power plants as part of the international programme aimed at cutting
back carbon emissions.

The real lesson from the battlefields of Ukraine is that Britain needs
to rid itself of its fossil fuel addiction entirely and become
self-reliant on electricity that is generated cleanly and efficiently.
We need to do that to protect our energy supplies, while at the same
time sending a message to the rest of the world that we take the coming
crisis extremely seriously. The need to follow this course of action is
reflected in the final words of last week’s IPCC report: “Any further
delay in concrete anticipatory global action on adaptation and
mitigation will miss a brief and rapidly closing window of opportunity
to secure a livable and sustainable future for all.”...
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/06/observer-view-on-ukraine-and-climate-emergency

/[  glacier science briefing for COP26 - YouTube ]/
*West Antarctica: Getz on the Run*
Nov 10, 2021
International Cryosphere Climate Initiative

The Getz region of West Antarctica is losing ice at an increasing rate.
A recent study used satellite observations and an ice sheet model to
measure ice speed and mass balance for this lesser studied area over the
last 25-years, and found an average increase in speed of 24 % between
1994 and 2018, with three glaciers accelerating by over 44 %.

Much of the Getz region has never been stepped on by humans; and 9 of
the 14 glaciers are unnamed, showing the importance of high resolution
satellite data as an early warning system to detect rapid change in this
key region of Antarctica.

Main Presenters: Dr. Heather Selley, University of Leeds; and Dr. Bryony
Freer, University of Leeds/British Antarctic Survey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtmDLyVdXa0

/[  parental conjecture as understatement ]/
*Here’s What The New Climate Report Says About The Future Of My
1-Year-Old Daughter*
Not halting global warming, said one expert, “would be the final, truly
unfair thing to do to a generation of kids coming up right now.”

Zahra Hirji - BuzzFeed News Reporter
March 5, 2022,
My daughter is not yet 2 years old. In her short life, she has only
known a world dramatically altered by human-made climate change. In her
lifetime, she will face a future of worse floods, heat waves, droughts,
extinctions, and more calamities ensured by continually rising temperatures.

*Unless we start to act now.*

A new climate report released this week, called “Climate Change 2022:
Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability,” makes clear that climate impacts
will permeate her childhood. It also details how kids worldwide are
especially vulnerable to the crisis, with even more warming on the way.

But my daughter’s future is not already doomed. That’s a key takeaway
from the more than 3,000-page report by the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change, which outlines the many ways that society can act to not
only better respond and adapt to the warming that’s here, but also stave
off a perilously hot world of no return.

“There are a ton of options,” said Edward Carr of Clark University, a
coauthor of the new report. The biggest tragedy, he added, would be if
we don’t act now on the climate solutions we already have. “That would
be the final, truly unfair thing to do to a generation of kids coming up
right now.”
*
**Born Into A Warming World*

My daughter was born in the hottest year on record. Or the
second-hottest year, depending on the analysis. 2020 was the year that
Australia burned in its deadly Bushfire season and a record number of
locusts swarmed the Horn of Africa — both calamities expected in a
warming climate.
Since then, California suffered not only from its largest wildfire on
record — the August Complex fire that burned 1,032,648 acres and 935
structures — but also its second-, fourth-, fifth-, sixth-, and
seventh-largest fires since at least 1932 when reliable record-keeping
began, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire
Protection. The Pacific Northwest also experienced its deadliest heat
wave on record. Tennessee was hit by record rainfall for a 24-hour
period, and similar records were obliterated in the Northeast due to the
remnants of Hurricane Ida.

Elsewhere in the world, mudslides blanketed Japan’s town of Atami in
Shizuoka prefecture, entire villages were inundated by torrential
downpours in Western Germany, and a wildfire destroyed Canada’s town of
Lytton.
Some of these disasters pose real risks of physical harm to kids. Take
extreme heat and heat waves: Pregnant people, babies, and young kids are
all more vulnerable to heat than older kids and most adults because
their bodies aren’t as good at cooling and staying that way. Studies
even show that an unborn child’s exposure to extreme heat while in the
womb could result in negative health outcomes later, such as lower birth
weight.

For older kids, as the number of hot days increases with global warming,
they risk greater exposure to the heat in schools without air
conditioning and during outdoor activities, like sports.

This latest IPCC assessment also discusses how disasters, both the acute
exposure to one and then the longer-term recovery from one, can damage
the mental health and well-being of everyone impacted, especially kids.

After major flooding occurred in the United Kingdom in 2000, for
instance, researchers tracked the health of people whose homes flooded
and did not flood, according to Kristie Ebi of the University of
Washington, who helped co-write the report’s chapter on health. “There
was a very clear difference in probable anxiety, depression, and
post-traumatic stress disorder” between the different groups, she explained.
Headline-spurring disasters, which are growing more frequent and more
intense, are perhaps the most obvious signs of how 1.1 degrees Celsius
of warming, compared to pre-industrial times, is playing out. But there
are far more climate impacts already here, as the new report
exhaustively details.

Even before my daughter was born, for example, two species went extinct
and climate change played a role: the Golden toad in Costa Rica in 1990,
as well as Australia’s Bramble Cay melomys, a type of rodent, in 2016.
And a third species got perilously close to extinction: Australia’s
lemuroid ringtail possum. And there have been far more local
extinctions: Climate-linked local extinctions were detected in 47% of
976 animal and plant species examined.

The impact of climate change on top of existing problems of food
availability and high prices can be a “lethal combination for kids,”
said Rachel Bezner Kerr of Cornell University, a coauthor on the IPCC
chapter on food systems, “especially in low-income countries, especially
low-income households, especially in rural areas.”

“So we have one study that showed between 1993 and 2012, increased
temperatures was significantly related to children’s wasting in 30
countries in Africa,” she added. Wasting refers to a child that is too
thin for their height, according to the World Health Organization.
Malnutrition is already a huge problem in kids in certain developing
nations, and that problem will only get bigger in a warmer world if
action isn’t specifically taken to avoid that possibility.

*How Hot Will It Get In My Daughter’s Lifetime?**
*
When world leaders signed the Paris climate agreement in 2016, they
agreed to jointly limit global warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius
(about 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit), ideally to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

Now scientists predict that it is “more likely than not” that global
average temperatures will pass 1.5 degrees in the coming decades, no
matter what. It could happen by 2030, when my daughter is only 12 years old.
That’s why the next few years matter so much. How quickly people cut
their greenhouse gas emissions this decade will help dictate how the
1.5-degree threshold is exceeded and what happens next. Will
temperatures keep going up or will they start to come back down?

Moreover, what people do now to start adapting to the warming that’s
already here and locked in for the future will minimize the damage
associated with the crisis.

By 2030, for example, it’s possible that countries will embrace the bold
goal of protecting at least 30% of the planet’s land and water. If so,
that could have cascading benefits, from keeping some species alive to
bolstering natural ecosystems that protect against floods, help suck up
carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, and do much more. And if China
transitioned to a half-decarbonized power supply for homes and vehicles
by 2030, per the report, the country could expect to prevent
55,000-69,000 deaths in that year.

It’s also possible that urban areas may see their exposure to flooding
go up 2.7 times by 2030 compared to 2000, or that an additional 48,000
children under the age of 15 globally may die from diarrhea, or that the
number of people living in extreme poverty may increase by 122 million,
or that extreme droughts in the Amazon will accelerate the migration of
traditional communities and Indigenous peoples to cities, or that
freshwater will be severely limited for some small islands.
But meeting the goals of the Paris climate agreement across nine major
economies by 2040, per the report, “could result in an annual reduction
of 1.18 million air pollution–related deaths, 5.86 million diet–related
deaths, and 1.15 million deaths due to physical inactivity.”

By 2050, when my daughter is 34, millions of people could be at risk of
hunger. In a world that never gets up to 2 degrees Celsius, 8 million
people could face this risk. In a world that reaches 2 degrees by then,
80 million people could.

On the flip side, if the European Union specifically were to
dramatically cut its greenhouse gas emissions, that action “could reduce
years of lost life due to fine particulate matter from over 4.6 million
in 2005 to 1 million in 2050,” per the report.

By 2100, when my daughter is 82 years old, temperatures could have
leveled out at 1.5 degrees or even dropped a bit — or gone all the way
up to 4 degrees. The difference in climate impacts and livability
between such scenarios is near-Biblical.

Even in a world that hovers around 1.5 degrees of warming, global seas
may rise between less than a foot to nearly two feet by then. At the
same time, the benefits of cutting climate emissions, such as phasing
out fossil fuel–run power plants, will be enormous for people’s health
and their wallets. “The financial value of health benefits from improved
air quality alone is projected to be greater than the costs of meeting
the goals of the Paris Agreement,” according to the report.

“We need to be mitigating for our health,” Ebi said. Phasing out
coal-fired power plants, for example, both cuts down on climate
pollution and could result in fewer hospitalizations and deaths tied to
particulate matter, she said. Or eating less red meat would not only cut
down on associated emissions from methane, a greenhouse gas, but also
cut down on chronic diseases and avoid some premature deaths and
hospitalizations.

In that very hot scenario, meanwhile, sea levels will rise by at least 2
feet, if not 3 feet, by 2100. Wildfires will be far more prevalent, with
up to 720 million people living in fire-prone areas. Flood risk will be
higher. Farms, fisheries, and ranches will be highly stressed.
Extinctions will happen. And up to three-quarters of the human
population, per the report, “could be exposed to periods of
life-threatening climatic conditions arising from coupled impacts of
extreme heat and humidity by 2100.” That’s billions of people having
their lives threatened by droughts, heat waves, floods, and other
disasters promised by climate change.

The kids of today are the ones who will be here in the decades to come.
“And so all these impacts we’ve been talking about,” Carr said, “they’re
going to see how these all play out.”
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zahrahirji/climate-toddler-future

/[  OK, let's try a few  ] /
*Six behavior changes that can heal people and the planet*
Lifestyle medicine expert Dr. Neha Pathak offers tips for better health
and a safer climate.

by NEHA PATHAK, MD
MARCH 4, 2022
Here’s a prescription for improving the health of U.S. residents – and
at the same time, helping to protect the climate.

*It’s called lifestyle medicine.**
*As a physician practicing in this growing field, I help my patients
address common chronic conditions, like heart disease, diabetes, and
lung problems, by focusing on six major changes to their lifestyles.
Beyond a focus on medicines, I prescribe strategies like eating whole,
plant-based foods, getting physical activity, avoiding toxic substances,
improving sleep, connecting with others, and managing stress – often
through nature-based therapies.

Catherine Collings, MD, a cardiologist and president of the American
College of Lifestyle Medicine, where I serve on the board of directors,
points to the broad and growing consensus and updates in medical
guidelines that demonstrate the power of these simple interventions to
prevent, manage, and sometimes reverse many chronic diseases, like high
blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and even certain cancers.

The beauty of these approaches is that they’re often good for the
planet, too. And the field of lifestyle medicine is gaining importance
at a critical moment.

*Climate change is a growing danger to health*
For the 60% of American adults with at least one chronic condition,
climate change may intensify the threats to their health.

My patients with chronic conditions are among those most at risk from
climate change-related heat waves, extreme weather events, and worsened
air quality. Heat puts an immense strain on those with heart conditions
and diabetes. Some long-term medicines can interfere with the body’s
ability to cool down, increasing patients’ risk of heat-related
illnesses. And climate-related weather disasters can interfere with
medical follow-ups.

Even though health professionals train to address chronic disease
prevention and management, many of us are still not equipped to talk
about the overlapping health risks of the climate crisis in the exam room.

“When patients come to see their physicians, they are first and foremost
invested in their own health, and I do believe that the responsibility
of the physician is to first tune in to that patient as an individual,
into their concerns,” Collings says.

But evidence from the Lancet Countdown on health and climate change
report and other recent studies show that many lifestyle prescriptions
are not just powerful in the fight against chronic disease but are also
part of robust climate “solutions.”

*A diet for a heating planet*
Physician Jonathan Patz, director of the Global Health Institute at the
University of Wisconsin – Madison, points out that a shift toward
plant-based diets has major health benefits and the potential to slow
global warming. Estimates of the global food system’s contributions to
heat-trapping emissions vary, but a recent Food and Agriculture
Organization puts it at a  whopping 31%. From deforestation, fertilizer
use, processing, packaging and transport, the emissions stack up and so
does the pollution of air, water, and soil.

The pollution produced by raising animals for food is generally much
higher than those produced by growing plant-based food. Beef is at the
highest end of the spectrum: Producing just one kilogram of beef leads
to about 60 kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions. In contrast, growing
one kilogram of many fruits, vegetables, and nuts results in only about
one kilogram of greenhouse gases.

The health benefits of a plant-predominant diet are equally staggering.
Poor diets – those low in whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and
high in red meat, salt, and processed foods – kill 11 million people
worldwide every year. Almost 50% of Americans have poor-quality diets
and 90% do not meet daily recommendations for fruit or vegetable intake.

For those interested in shifting toward a plant-predominant diet, Patz
recommends a planetary health diet developed by the EAT-Lancet
commission, which emphasizes whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and
legumes. This prescription can save millions of lives and help preserve
the health of the planet.

*Avoid the car, get your body moving*
Active transport, meaning walking or bicycling where possible, is
another lifestyle medicine prescription that Patz describes as
“multi-solving.” Sedentary lifestyles kill over 4 million people
globally, and about 25% of Americans are classified as physically
inactive. At the same time, about 29% of heat-trapping greenhouse gas
emissions come from the U.S. transportation sector.

As a result, biking or walking to do errands rather than driving a car
can improve your health and reduce emissions, too.

“We found that if you could take short car trips off the road,” Patz
says, “you have air quality benefits but you’d have enormous exercise
benefits as well. … We’re talking about 1,300 lives saved every year
from reduced air pollution and increased physical fitness.”

Unfortunately, many of my patients suffer from “active transport
inequities.” In other words, their neighborhoods were not designed with
health in mind. Dangerous roadways, lack of sidewalks, and other threats
limit safe outdoor physical activity. As the link between increased
walkability and lower rates of chronic conditions like diabetes and
obesity strengthens, many health professionals are advocating for
“community prescriptions” for walkable neighborhoods to help reduce this
inequity.

*Beware of toxic substances*
I often advise patients to avoid tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs.

But health professionals don’t typically emphasize limiting exposure to
air or water pollution. For some lifestyle medicine providers, this
oversight is a critical gap in preventive care. Just like smoking
cigarettes can lead to heart and lung damage, so can air pollution.

By some estimates, air pollution, caused in part by the burning of
fossil fuels, is responsible for over 4 million deaths annually, with
some estimates placing the number of deaths as high as 8 million. It
also increases the burden of chronic disease from conditions like
dementia, heart, and lung disease.

Collings, the American College of Lifestyle Medicine president, says
that it is hard for health professionals to talk about pollution
exposure in the exam room because most patients can’t control the toxic
substances in their environment.

But providers can encourage patients to make a habit of monitoring
outdoor air quality by visiting sites such as AirNow.gov. On days when
air quality is poor, you can limit pollution exposure by wearing N95
masks or avoiding outdoor activity.

Ultimately, health advocates hope that a prescription to improve
individual health may also drive action to limit pollution for entire
communities. Knowing that air pollution can damage the heart, lungs, and
brain may help communities come together to prevent the expansion of
polluting traffic or other industries that could worsen local air
quality – especially in marginalized communities that already bear a
disproportionate burden of pollution exposure.

*Heat, disasters are threats to restorative sleep*
The connection between poor quality sleep and many chronic mental and
physical health conditions continues to strengthen. At the same time,
climate change-related impacts pose a hazard to both sleep quantity and
quality. For example, displacement resulting from climate-related
weather disasters threaten healthy sleep patterns. So do long stretches
of high temperatures, particularly in neighborhoods that have lost
protective tree canopies.

One specific intervention lifestyle medicine providers recommend is to
preserve tree canopies, particularly in urban areas. Not only do trees
soak up greenhouse gasses, they help reduce local temperatures and noise
pollution, facilitating better sleep.
*
**Manage stress, stay connected*
Climate-related threats to mental health are increasingly recognized by
patients and health professionals. These threats include eco-anxiety,
post-traumatic stress disorder – or PTSD – related to climate disasters,
and mental-health stress linked to higher temperatures. In the
long-term, chronic stress not only affects health but makes it harder
for people to make healthy lifestyle choices.

Here again is a “multi-solving” opportunity. Lifestyle medicine
practitioners encourage the use of green space, nature, and parks for
stress management and mental and physical health. These uses encourage
the preservation of spaces that also remove greenhouse gasses from the
atmosphere.

Beyond the individual health benefits, shared green spaces and parks can
enhance social connection and happiness within communities. Though
social connection has not traditionally been thought of as medicine, the
health effects of isolation have helped doctors see the importance of
community ties for health.

With the increasing threats posed by climate disruption, lifestyle
medicine health professionals are recognizing that prescriptions for
social connection are even more critical. By helping patients identify
sources of community support, we may be able to limit disruptions to
health and healthcare access in the lead up and aftermath of extreme
weather events, because isolated patients tend to have a harder time
getting care and services after disasters. Social connection can also
protect mental health in the wake of climate disasters: Researchers
recently found that higher levels of social support helped people cope
and reduced the risk for mental health conditions after Hurricane Maria
devastated Puerto Rico.

*Inspiring health professionals*
Collings says that with every prescription for healthy, plant-based
nutrition, physical activity, nature-based therapy, and social
connection, health professionals are charting a path toward both
individual and climate health.

She says she hopes her organization’s work will inspire health
professionals to protect patients from both individual and planetary
health threats.

“We know health practitioners are so much more effective when they bring
their own passion into the appointment,” she says. “Prescribing these
interventions help actualize their passions fully and know that through
their health care encounters, they’re actually changing the lives of
people and the planet.”
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/03/six-behavior-changes-that-can-heal-people-and-the-planet/

/[ Audio of a long-lost essay on collapse ] /
*Collapsosaurus Rex - Collapse 101*
Michael Dowd
https://soundcloud.com/michael-dowd-grace-limits/collapsosaurus-rex-collapse-1

- -

[ more from Michael Dowd ]
*Regenerative conversations exploring overshoot grief, grounding, and
gratitude.*
https://postdoom.com/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*March 7, 2013*
Kate Sheppard of Mother Jones reports:

    "Despite record heat and extreme weather disasters in recent years,
    insurers aren't adequately planning for climate change, according to
    a report issued Thursday. Only 13 percent of insurance companies
    have a 'specific, comprehensive strategy' to deal with global warming."

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/03/report-insurers-still-ignoring-climate-change