[✔️] March 25 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 25 08:55:14 EDT 2022

/*March 25, 2022*/

/[ interview and insight from his long commitment  ] /
*Senator Sheldon Whitehouse: ‘Democrats have never taken climate change
as seriously as they should’*
Chris McGreal
Rhode Island Democrat talks to the Guardian about the president’s
climate record and targeting oil industry’s ‘Achilles heel’
- -
/Why has there been no visible progress when there is a Democrat in the
White House and Democrats control Congress?/

“The Democratic party has never taken climate change as seriously as it
should. It has never put the energy into it that would create a public
reaction of support that would then encourage more activity.

More specifically, we put all of our eggs in the basket of the big
reconciliation bill (Build Back Better legislation), and the belief that
everything was going to be made right by that. To the extent we needed
to keep the caucus together for that piece of legislation, we weren’t
going to do anything serious on regulation or on litigation lest it
disturb the process. That was not the best way to go. We need to reboot.
We need to do what we can through legislation but we also need to really
push the throttle forward on regulation and on litigation.”...
- -
/Where do you place blame for the failure to pass the legislation?/

“Every senator who kept us from getting to 50 votes and moving forward.”

Top of that list is Democratic Senator Joe Manchin from West Virginia, a
coal state. Do you see Manchin’s positions as in any way attached to
what you’ve been describing earlier about nefarious forces at work?

“(Manchin) does reflect the views of his state, which is a heavily
fossil fuel state, as he’s entitled to, as he is expected to. The
position right now of the fossil fuel industry is sham support for
serious climate legislation and powerful secret countermeasures to make
sure that never happens. But if they felt they were under a lot more
pressure, they might move a little bit more aggressively towards finding
a acceptable pathway.”

And therefore ease the pressure on Senator Manchin?

“And therefore even come to him and say, ‘We would like this, this is
our safest pathway as well as the planet’s safest pathway. Be our
advocate for these measures’.”

The midterms in November could be a big problem for the Democrats with
the polls showing the Republicans may well take back the House and
control of the Senate hanging in the balance. Are we coming to the end
of the opportunity for President Biden to deliver on his climate promises?

“This is potentially coming to that end. Because when the reconciliation
measure expires on September 30, the gateway to an all Senate Democrat
climate bill closes. At that point our only pathway is to find
sufficient Republican support to get over the 60 vote cloture rule of
the Senate, which means probably a dozen Republicans. When you consider
the extent to which the Republican party has become merely the political
arm of the fossil fuel industry, then the likelihood of being able to
produce those dozen Republicans isn’t very great.

Having experienced the difficulties of getting 50 Senate Democrats to
agree, the Biden administration has a decision to make about how to
proceed. Do you leave all of your eggs in the legislation basket? Or do
you move forward with an offence strategy against the fossil fuel
climate denial operation, with a regulatory strategy to deal with this
within the agencies that you control? And with the litigation strategy
to bring the power of the law to bear on the arguably fraudulent conduct
of the industry?”

For ordinary Americans who regard the climate as the most important
issue, particularly a younger generation of Americans who say, ‘What the
hell are our political leaders doing?’– what can they do to change the
situation?

“Keep raising hell. And understand that the flip side of the climate
change coin is the dark money problem. Solve the dark money problem and
the climate change obstruction begins to disappear because Exxon Mobil
cannot get away with dirty politics in plain view. If they run an ad
saying climate change is a big hoax, we’re Exxon Mobil and we approve
this message, it’s a colossal backfire. If they run it through a front
group with a name like Americans for Peace and Puppies and Prosperity,
it doesn’t trace back to them. So transparency is very disabling to the
fossil fuel industry. Its motive becomes apparent, its method becomes
apparent, its self-interest becomes apparent.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/25/senator-sheldon-whitehouse-climate-crisis

/[ Delivered by YouTube - a new, politically thoughtful talk-show --
seems to be weekly or bi-weekly ]/
*Climate One TV: Playing with Fire: Russia, Ukraine, and the Geopolitics
of Energy*
Mar 24, 2022
Climate One
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has rattled global energy markets.
Disruptions to Europe’s gas supplies threaten to leave millions in the
cold. The attack on nuclear facilities has underscored the risks
associated with dependence on that energy source. Control over resources
has long been an underlying cause of conflict. Will this latest crisis
alter the map of energy geopolitics? Will the disruption of natural gas
supplies to Europe give it the extra push it needs to decarbonize, or
will some countries always be beholden to untrustworthy partners for the
resources they need?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4FLunfnMM

[nurture radical optimism - radical thoughts, rant video ]
*Why We Need Climate Hope*
Feb 25, 2022
Our Changing Climate
Radical climate hope, explained. Help me make more videos like this via
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OurChangingCl...
In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at why
we need radical climate hope and optimism. Specifically, I look at the
roots of doomerism and anxiety and offer up radical climate hope as an
alternative. To be clear this is not the pie-in-the-sky hope that
ignores systems of oppression and waits around for savior tech. ologies
to deliver us from climate chaos. No. This is a hope that envisions a
liberated world where climate action is taken seriously and intertwines
with other movements for justice. Radical revolutionary climate hope
requires us to understand the systems of oppression that surround us and
then in defiance imagine and create a better world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vKcsWW-Frk

[  Jane Fonda still strong and strident -  Salon report ]
*Jane Fonda’s new climate PAC is taking on fossil fuel-backed politicians*
And this isn’t her first rodeo in political funding
By EVE ANDREWS - - MARCH 24, 2022 8
Among the Campaign for Economic Democracy's successes was Proposition
65, a ballot initiative to protect drinking water from carcinogenic
contaminants. Fonda eventually stepped down from the committee, and the
PAC went on to become Campaign California.

It's unclear what (if any) role Fonda's PAC may play in the lead up to
the midterm elections or if, say, Joe Manchin should be fearing for his
job. She is certainly well-connected and respected in wealthy,
progressive circles, and the committee is actively soliciting donations.
But she's up against quite a formidable foe: Leading up to 2020, the oil
and gas industry pumped a record $140 billion into the election cycle.
Fonda has stated many times over the years that she believes that
climate change is the most important cause of our time. With the launch
of this PAC, she appears to be — once again — putting her money where
her mouth is.
https://www.salon.com/2022/03/24/jane-fondas-new-climate-pac-is-taking-on-fossil-fuel-backed-politicians_partner/

/[  hear Katharine Hayhoe  ] /
*Moving forward together: A climate scientist’s vision for collaboration*
By Halley Posner | March 22, 2022
Watch the Bulletin program “Moving forward together: A climate
scientist’s vision for collaboration” featuring Katharine Hayhoe in
conversation with Rachel Bronson.
https://thebulletin.org/2022/03/moving-forward-together-a-climate-scientists-vision-for-collaboration/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*March 25, 2002*
The Associated Press reported:

    "Environmentalists say their requests for a meeting with Energy
    Secretary Spencer Abraham in the months prior to the release of the
    Bush administration's energy report were rebuffed by an aide who
    cited Abraham's' busy schedule.

    "John Adams, president of the Natural Resources Defense Council,
    said Wednesday the refusal to meet with the environmentalists stands
    in sharp contrast to the eight meetings Abraham had with energy and
    business groups in early 2001 to discuss the energy plan."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/green-groups-we-had-no-say/

More information from daily summaries
Climate Nexus https://climatenexus.org/hot-news/

Carbon Brief Daily https://www.carbonbrief.org/newsletter-sign-up