[✔️] May 2, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Mon May 2 10:35:58 EDT 2022

/*May 2, 2022*/

/[ Wildfire predictions mapped out with different outlooks ]/
*July and August wildfire danger predicted to be elevated in Great
Plains, Rocky Mountains, and the Northwest*
https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/05/01/july-and-august-wildfire-danger-predicted-to-be-elevated-in-great-plains-rocky-mountains-and-the-northwest/
- -
*Wildfire potential in the Southwest expected to remain above normal
through June*
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/05/01/wildfire-potential-in-the-southwest-expected-to-remain-above-normal-through-june/

/[  discovering another idea for CO2 removal  - from oceans - video
explanation ] /
*Carbon Dioxide Removal from our oceans. Can we achieve 20 BILLION
tonnes per year?*
May 1, 2022
Just Have a Think
Carbon Dioxide Removal is the latest buzz phrase in the climate world.
The IPCC tell us it will be essential to meet the goals of the Paris
Accord. But it's easier said than done! Now a new study proposes copying
the way nature creates seashells, so that we can durably store billions
of tonnes of carbon in solid rocks on the seabed. So, can Ocean Carbon
Dioxide Removal save the day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMWIrh6bL4/

/[ Greta growing up - clips from long article ]/
The Swedish activist has a new message: Don’t just listen to the
science, listen to the most vulnerable.
By Karl Mathiesen
*Greta Thunberg’s childhood ended during the pandemic.*
Just a few months before the arrival of the coronavirus, the Swedish
teenager and her fellow activists had organized a march of millions —
possibly the largest climate protest in history. But lockdowns put an
end to the boisterous Fridays For Future school strikes, which Thunberg
had pioneered and spread around the world. With entire countries in
isolation, Thunberg’s movement was “paralyzed,” recalled Dominika
Lasota, one of the group’s most prominent figures in Poland.The pandemic
wasn’t just a body blow for an organization completely reliant on
momentum from the streets. For many of the activists involved, it also
deprived them of a place to give voice to a shared dread: what kids in
these times call “climate anxiety.”
It was in search of community, as much as anything, that Thunberg and
her friends started hosting “digital strikes” on Zoom. The gatherings
were sometimes loosely organized and sometimes barely at all. Oddly, for
a bunch of kids considering the apocalypse, the vibe was all about
having fun.
“They weren’t even work calls, we would just play music and hang out
with each other,” said Mitzi Jonelle Tan, the convener of Youth
Advocates for Climate Action Philippines and a Fridays For Future
organizer. In contrast to Thunberg’s popular public image, which is
largely based on the angriest segments of her speeches, those who know
her describe her as warm, caring, funny, extremely blunt and, at times,
silly...
Alongside the goofing, the Zoom calls also changed something fundamental
about Thunberg’s movement. Built around local marches, started in
Europe, the group had been dominated by white, Northern Europeans
concerned less about the present than the future. Suddenly, they were
face-to-face with activists from around the world for whom climate
change was real, pressing and immediate...
- -
The seeds for Thunberg’s conversion to social justice advocacy arguably
famously, by a feeling that she and the rest of her generation were
being betrayed: Given the cause and consequences of climate change, why
weren’t responsible adults — parents, teachers, politicians — doing
more? Why was no one panicking?

In her early teens, Thunberg became sick. She ceased eating and talking.
Activism, both Thunberg and her parents have said, was her salvation. It
was also a process of finding and banding together people who shared her
anxiety and her view that, ultimately, climate change is a moral
question: right and wrong — or as she has said, black and white.

And so it was only natural that she was open to the idea that others
were being betrayed as well...
- -
Thunberg did not want to be interviewed for this article — which is
really the point, as POLITICO was reminded bluntly by several Fridays
For Future activists. She doesn’t want to be the face of this global
climate justice movement.

That does not mean she’s stepping away from activism, her friends said.
Although she has been talking about going to university after she
completes her final year of secondary education — she skipped a year to
go to the U.S — nothing seems to be decided and activism still takes up
vast amounts of her non-school time.

For her friends, the media’s continued fascination with Thunberg is both
a powerful tool and a source of frustration. There have been several
instances, said Ravi, where “media played a role in who got highlighted
and who was deliberately silenced.” Several activists pointed to a
moment before the pandemic, in 2019 at the COP25 climate summit in
Madrid, where Thunberg tried and failed to “pass the mic.”
- -
It’s deeper into this uncomfortable conversation that Thunberg and
Fridays For Future are dragging the climate movement, said Essop: “It is
the youth that always ended up leading … movements into a more radical
space.”
As Thunberg has noted, not everyone pays the same price for inaction.
The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) recently found
that around half of humankind lives in circumstances that makes them
extremely vulnerable to the impacts of climate change.

This long-foretold splitting of the world into two futures — called
“climate change apartheid” by Archbishop Desmond Tutu when Thunberg was
just four years old — has dire implications for more than 3 billion of
the world’s poorest people if global temperatures creep far beyond 1.5
degrees above the historical average as they are predicted to do.
Thunberg hopes an alliance with them can build the critical mass she
needs to move past politics-as-usual.
- -
After one particularly bleak scientific report came out recently, she
told Tan: “Mitzi, we’re gonna fight together for every fraction of a
degree.” If the 1.5 slips out of reach, she added, the battle would turn
to 1.51, then 1.52.  “And I will be here with you, each step of the
way,” Thunberg said.

“It was exactly what I needed,” said Tan.
https://www.politico.eu/article/greta-thunberg-climate-change-activism-fridays-for-future-profile-doesnt-want-you-to-talk-about-her-anymore-2022/?utm_campaign=Weekly%20Briefing&utm_content=20220429&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

/[  Disinformation news -- /TRUTH DECAY/] /
*Why Public Trust in Elections Is Being Undermined by Global
Disinformation Campaigns*
By Christoph Bluth
Published 30 April 2022
Public trust in elections is being targeted around the world by a series
of disinformation campaigns from a range of international players. There
are often similar campaigns run by domestic political players, as has
been the case, for example, in the United States, Brazil, and Mexico.
These campaigns are giving rise to an increasing lack of trust in how
votes are counted. The overall purpose is to create mistrust of the core
institutions of liberal democracy, including parliaments, mainstream
media, elections, and the judiciary.

Public trust in elections is being targeted around the world by a series
of disinformation campaigns from a range of international players. This
is giving rise to an increasing lack of trust in how votes are counted.

The almost unlimited capacity for individuals and organizations to
publish information using websites (only limited by time and manpower),
social media and other outlets has given disinformation campaigns a set
of new media to manipulate in the last decade...
- -
*How do they work?*
Disinformation campaigns often rely on an enormous volume of messages,
using a variety of methods. They use traditional media such as
newspapers, radio broadcasts and television, but disinformation is also
spread via websites, social media, chat rooms, and satellite
broadcasting and include a whole mix of texts, photographs and videos
using thousands of fake accounts...
https://theconversation.com/why-public-trust-in-elections-is-being-undermined-by-global-disinformation-campaigns-181825

- -

/[ disinformation war ]/
*Homeland Security News Wire*
Why Public Trust in Elections Is Being Undermined by Global
Disinformation Campaigns
Internet “troll farms” are often set up, with teams of people putting
out misleading messages to counter political viewpoints or other
narratives. These farms employ workers on 12-hour shifts, 24 hours a
day, with daily quotas of 135 posted messages per day, per worker.

One example is the Russian Internet Research Agency (also known as
Glavset), ostensibly a private company but one that appears to be funded
by the Russian government(now operating under different guises as part
of “Project Lakhta”). It spreads Kremlin disinformation on social media
using false identities and false information, under different names.

Using a variety of sources that employ different narratives and
arguments but point to the same conclusion is more persuasive, because
it conceals the fact that the propaganda ultimately derives from the
same source. A study conducted by the Harvard University’s Kennedy
School of Government on the use of Twitter as a forum for disinformation
found: “Evidence from an analysis of Twitter data reveals that Russian
social media trolls exploited racial and political identities to
infiltrate distinct groups of authentic users, playing on their group
identities.”

Russia is also accused of mounting various campaigns to influence
elections, including the presidential elections in the US in 2016 and
2020. Academic analysis of how the Russian Internet Research Agency used
social media showed how they specifically targeted “self-described
Christian patriots, supporters of the Republican party and of
presidential candidate Donald Trump”.

The Russian governing elite believes that the west is committed to
transforming the post-Soviet countries using non-military instruments of
warfare, including economic instruments, the spreading of ideas about
democracy and human rights, and support for NGOs and human rights
activists with the purpose of inducing “color revolutions” that will
topple governments. By conducting information warfare Russia claims it
is only responding to western methods.

The overall purpose is to create mistrust of the core institutions of
liberal democracy including parliaments, mainstream media, elections and
the judiciary.

Governments can respond by introducing regulations to combat the spread
of disinformation, but this is controversial because it forces
governments to define the limits of free speech. In practice, it means
introducing and further developing elaborate codes of practice and
guidelines for the internet and social media. Another tool is the
development of fact-checking networks.

If disinformation creates a widespread public belief that elections are
“stolen” or manipulated, it undermines belief in public institutions
that are essential to democratic governance. Therefore, such
disinformation campaigns can pose a very serious threat to liberal
democracy and public order. This is the outcome that some of the state
actors are seeking. The development of the instruments to deal with this
challenge is only just beginning.

Christoph Bluth is Professor of International Relations and Security,
University of Bradford. This article is published courtesy of The
Conversation.
https://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20220430-why-public-trust-in-elections-is-being-undermined-by-global-disinformation-campaigns?page=0,0

/[ Australia gets down - with this video of "genuine satire"  ]/
*Honest Government Ad | 2022 Election (Season 2 finale)*
Apr 30, 2022
thejuicemedia
The Australien Government has made a final ad before the 2022 federal
election and it’s surprisingly honest and informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz4IkzM217U

/[  NYTimes published opinion from psychologist/activist ] /
*A ‘Life-Affirming’ Remedy for Climate Despair*
May 1, 2022
By Margaret Klein Salamon
On Earth Day, a 50-year-old man from Boulder, Colo., named Wynn Bruce
set himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court. Friends and family
members told reporters they believed his act was a principled protest in
the name of the climate crisis.

It is not clear why Mr. Bruce self-immolated. We do know that climate
despair and desperation lurk in the shadows all around us. In a 2021
global survey of 10,000 people ages 16 to 25 published in The Lancet
Planetary Health, 56 percent said that humanity was doomed, and 45
percent said climate anxiety affected their daily lives. And while
therapists, researchers and the news media are beginning to explore
climate anxiety and pre-traumatic stress disorder, these conditions are
still mostly ignored in our public conversations about mental health.

The climate emergency hurts because we love this world. We love our
families, humanity, and the web of life. But how do we turn that pain
into action?

In 2013, I was finishing my Ph.D. in clinical psychology, preparing to
enter private practice and becoming more alarmed by the climate
emergency. The direct effects — more intense drought, sea-level rise,
superstorms and heat waves — terrified me. I was also alarmed to learn
that climate change has already damaged global food security, and
threatens the food supply, especially in developing countries, if we
don’t make sweeping policy changes.
I resolved to use my psychological expertise to help Americans wake up
from the delusion of normalcy, and treat climate like an emergency. This
meant developing a psychologically informed strategy, and building a
grass-roots advocacy organization to advance it. It also meant inviting
hundreds of people to share their emotional reactions to the climate
emergency in structured in-person conversations, and on a virtual platform.

In these “climate emotions conversations,” participants often speak of
their grief, terror, rage, shock, betrayal, guilt and alienation. Many
report it is their first time ever putting these feelings into words.
While painful, these emotions are healthy and critical to mounting a
protective response. We can welcome them with curiosity, respect and
compassion for ourselves.

We can also pour them into disruptive protest and nonviolent direct
action, which as history and social science demonstrate, are the fastest
path to transformative change. For example, in 2019, after weeks of
protests that shut down parts of London led by the climate activist
group Extinction Rebellion, Britain declared a climate emergency and
became the first major economy to legally commit to reaching “net zero”
emissions by 2050...
If the Covid-19 pandemic knocked the wind out of the climate movement’s
sails, in the last month we’ve seen people around the world once again
channeling their terror and grief into civil resistance and strategic
protest. My psychological training and years in the movement have shown
me that this kind of collective action is a uniquely effective antidote
to despair.

In my role as executive director of Climate Emergency Fund, I lead a
team that raises funds and makes grants to emerging groups to recruit,
train and prepare for mass protest and nonviolent civil resistance. In
the lead-up to this April’s wave of protest, we supported 12 groups
taking action in 25 countries.
One effort we support is Scientist Rebellion, a group of over 1,000
scientists around the world. They are angry and fearful of climate
change, and have engaged in various forms of civil disobedience
including chaining themselves to the White House fence, and covering the
Spanish Parliament building with paint the color of blood.

Testimony from these scientists shows people who are radiantly alive,
meeting the challenges of the moment Peter Kalmus, a scientist at NASA’s
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, has described chaining himself to a Chase
Bank building in Los Angeles last month as “a profoundly spiritual
experience — in some way, incredibly satisfying and empowering and
hope-giving and life-affirming.”

Joining a movement allows us to live for a purpose greater than
ourselves, and a collective benefit of a national climate mobilization
would be improved mental health. Instead of despair and alienation, we
can find a sense of purpose and community in the face of the climate crisis.
Margaret Klein Salamon is the executive director of the Climate
Emergency Fund and the author of “Facing the Climate Emergency: How to
Transform Yourself With Climate Truth.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/01/opinion/environment/climate-change-emergency-despair-activism.html

/[The news archive - looking back at important media moments.]/
/*May 2, 1998*/
May 1, 1998: The AP reports on a bogus petition allegedly claiming that
15,000 scientists reject the evidence of human-caused climate change.
- -
*Jokers Add Fake Names To Warming Petition*
May 1, 1998
H. Josef Hebert
AP
WASHINGTON - It was touted as a collection of thousands of scientists
debunking global warming. So was that Perry Mason on the list? And John
Grisham? What about that Spice Girl?

The petition with 15,000 signatures surfaced shortly before the April 22
Earth Day and quickly became music to global warming's critics. They
highlighted it in news releases, at congressional hearings, even on the
Senate floor.

The work of a chemist at a small research institute in Oregon, the
petition of scientists - and some nonscientists, it turned out - has
become the center of the latest furor in a contentious debate over
whether human activity is changing the earth's climate.

Arthur Robinson, a physical chemist from Cave Junction, Ore., who
circulated the petition by mail among scientists, said questionable
names were added to the petition by pranksters.

The petition urges rejection of the accord signed last year in Kyoto,
Japan, which sets procedures for dramatically lowering carbon dioxide
emissions - the principal greenhouse gas. The petition maintains the
growth of carbon-dioxide emissions, in fact, may be beneficial to plants
and humans.

While the petition has been portrayed by global-warming skeptics as
authoritative evidence that many scientists reject the catastrophic
scenario of global climate change, Robinson acknowledged that little
attempt was done to verify credentials of those who responded.

Several environmental groups questioned dozens of the names: "Perry S.
Mason" (the fictitious lawyer?), "Michael J. Fox" (the actor?), "Robert
C. Byrd" (the senator?), "John C. Grisham" (the lawyer-author?). And
then there's the Spice Girl, a k a. Geraldine Halliwell: The petition
listed "Dr. Geri Halliwell" and "Dr. Halliwell."

Asked about the pop singer, Robinson said he was duped. The returned
petition, one of thousands of mailings he sent out, identified her as
having a degree in microbiology and living in Boston. "It's fake," he said.

"When we're getting thousands of signatures there's no way of filtering
out a fake," Robinson, 56, said in a telephone interview from Oregon.

Robinson, who acknowledges he has done no direct research into global
warming, said the petition includes thousands of people "qualified to
speak on this subject" including biochemists, geophysicists and
climatologists.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?slug=2748308&date=19980501
- -
[Superb video from Peter Sinclair ]