[✔️] May 20, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Fri May 20 09:18:33 EDT 2022

/*May 20, 2022*/

/[ a ratchet situation ]
/*Western Fire Weather Days Increasing*
MAY 18, 2022
New Climate Central analysis shows more frequent fire weather conditions
across much of the western U.S. since 1973. Fire weather days have
increased in all four seasons—especially spring and summer.
KEY CONCEPTS

    - - Wildfire seasons are shaped by many forces, and climate change
    is contributing to recent increases in wildfire intensity,
    frequency, and season length in the western U.S.

    - - Heat, dryness, and wind—the three components of fire weather—are
    occurring more frequently across the western U.S. since 1973,
    according to new Climate Central analysis.

    - - Some areas are seeing more fire weather during seasons when
    wildfires were previously rare.

      -- New Mexico is among the states seeing the largest increases in
    risks during the spring.

    -- Large wildfires can kill people and destroy property. Utilities
    may shut off power during fire weather to prevent equipment-related
    ignitions. And smoke can affect people living thousands  of miles
    away, including on the East Coast.

https://medialibrary.climatecentral.org/resources/western-fire-weather-days-increasing-1/

/[ heat trends to an emotional boiling point ]/
*Climate crisis is reaching a boiling point*/
/The Stockholm Environment Institute issued an urgent warning that we
are near the point of no return
By JAKE JOHNSON
PUBLISHED MAY 19, 2022/...
/- -
"Looking at the scientific evidence, we live amid entwined
crises—planetary and human," the report reads. "The evidence shows just
how much our human wellbeing relies on the planetary systems that we are
changing. The natural systems that support life on Earth have been
breached, and the human systems remain plagued by inequalities."/...
/https://www.salon.com/2022/05/19/climate-is-reaching-a-boiling-point_partner//

/[ slick, attractive report by the Washington Post updates a chronic
situation ]/
*THE COLORADO RIVER IS IN CRISIS, AND IT’S GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY*
By Karin Brulliard
Photos by Matt McClain
Videos by Erin Patrick O'Connor
May 14, 2022/../

It is a powerhouse: a 1,450-mile waterway that stretches from the Rocky
Mountains to the Sea of Cortez, serving 40 million people in seven U.S.
states, 30 federally recognized tribes and Mexico. It hydrates 5 million
acres of agricultural land and provides critical habitat for rare fish,
birds and plants./../
/- -/
In an emergency move this month, the federal government held back water
from Lake Powell, the nation’s second-largest reservoir, where the water
is at a historic low. Days before, Las Vegas turned on a low-level
pumping station that will deliver water from fast-drying Lake Mead, the
largest U.S. reservoir, even if the Hoover Dam fails.../
/- -
“It feels to me like the future is accelerating really quickly now,”
said Andy Mueller, general manager of the Colorado River District, which
spans 15 Western Colorado counties. “We’ve been talking to our water
users about the impacts of climate change and decreasing supply of water
on the river for probably eight or nine years now. It’s really kind of
hitting home.”...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/interactive/2022/colorado-river-crisis/

/[  this ironic question should not be ignored ] /
*The air conditioning paradox*
How do we cool people without heating up the planet?
By Umair Irfan  - - May 18, 2022
But staying cool amid the heat poses a paradox: The tactics for cooling
can end up worsening the very problem they’re trying to solve if they
draw on fossil fuels, or leak refrigerants that are potent heat-trapping
gases. And the people who stand to experience the most extreme heat are
often those least able to cool off...
Solving this conundrum requires untangling issues of equity and justice,
as well as developing better tools for cooling beyond just ACs. It also
requires rethinking the role of cooling in society. It is not a luxury,
but a necessity for living in the world that we’ve created for ourselves.

*Heat is dangerous and costly, even before it reaches extremes*
Ambient temperatures are so foundational to our well-being that it’s
easy to overlook their importance and the threat they pose. Extreme heat
has been the deadliest weather phenomenon in the United States over the
past 30 years, according to the National Weather Service...
That’s because heat has so many ways of hurting people. High
temperatures make it harder for humans to shed excess heat. When air
reaches temperatures higher than body temperatures, more heat flows into
the human body than flows out. That can cause hyperthermia, heat stroke,
and death. Some medications can become less effective with heat, while
others can make people more susceptible to high temperatures...
- -
Another method is to manufacture more air conditioners that don’t use
HFCs or other heat-trapping gases. Many countries, including the US, are
phasing out HFCs. The US Senate will soon vote to ratify the Kigali
Amendment to the Montreal Protocol, an international treaty that commits
to cutting HFCs 85 percent by 2050.

At the same time, there is going to be a massive market for sustainable
cooling technologies. “There are billions of people that aspire to be
wealthy, and as your income starts going up, you’re going to want to
have access to cooling,” Kyte said.

The electricity that powers air conditioners needs to come from sources
that don’t emit greenhouse gases, so dialing down coal, oil, and natural
gas power on the grid and ramping up wind, solar, and nuclear energy is
crucial...
- -
It’s also a law of nature that you can’t cool a space without heating up
another. In cities, the heat from running ACs at night can raise ambient
temperatures by 1°C, or 1.8°F.

Air conditioners pose another direct problem for the climate. Many of
them use refrigerants that are also powerful heat-trapping gases.
Chemicals like hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) can be upward of 12,000 times
more potent at trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide.
Small coolant leaks multiplied by billions of AC units could be
devastating for the climate...
- -
During warmer weather, pollutants like ozone form faster, which can lead
to breathing problems. In addition, the stress from heat is cumulative.
High temperatures at night are particularly worrying because it means
people have little relief from the heat during the day. Because of
climate change, nights are actually warming faster than daylight hours.

And when extreme heat combines with humidity, the weather can turn
lethal. To measure the risk from these conditions, scientists track the
wet-bulb temperature, the temperature and humidity conditions where
water will not evaporate. Higher wet-bulb temperatures mean it’s harder
for a person to cool off by sweating. A healthy person can withstand a
wet-bulb temperature of 35°C, or 95°F, for six hours. Older adults,
young children, and people with underlying health conditions start to
suffer at much lower thresholds.

But high temperatures can cause harm well before they reach the tip of
the thermometer. For people who work on farms, on construction sites, in
kitchens, or in factories, hotter temperatures lead to more injuries.
Avoiding these risks has costs, too, as workers weigh lost wages against
the potential for harm at work. Even in cooler workplaces like offices,
studies have found that high temperatures reduce productivity and
performance.

“The knock-on effects of heat are extraordinary,” said Rachel Kyte, dean
of the Fletcher School at Tufts University, who coauthored a 2018 report
titled “Chilling Prospects: Providing Sustainable Cooling for All.”

That adds up to a huge economic toll. By one estimate, heat costs the US
economy $100 billion per year, a number poised to rise to $200 billion
by 2030 and $500 billion by 2050 if nothing is done to mitigate climate
change or the resulting harm...
- -
Cooling may also require a more collective approach. Rather than
installing ACs on every individual home, some areas can use district
cooling systems. And in emergencies, people will need public cooling
centers.

Regulators need to step in, too. The US currently doesn’t have a
national workplace standard for heat exposure, but the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration is now in the process of developing a
rule to protect workers from high temperatures. Governments also need to
enforce tougher standards for energy efficiency in cooling.

The fixes for extreme heat don’t stop at the border. The countries that
have historically burned the most fossil fuels now have the wealth to
cope with rising temperatures, while those who contributed least to the
problem are facing the most dangerous heat with the fewest resources.
Ergo, rich countries are obligated to help places facing dangerous heat
deploy cooling, and to help pay for it.

“I think that the economic case and the global security case for
investing in these countries’ ability to deploy hyper-efficient,
nonpolluting technologies is pretty damn clear,” Kyte said. “We’re all
living on the same planet.”

So while billions of people are facing more devastating and extreme
heat, protecting them and avoiding as much warming as possible benefits
everyone on Earth. Air conditioning is now an unfortunate necessity, but
it’s also an opportunity to address some of the underlying injustices of
climate change.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/23067049/heat-wave-air-conditioning-cooling-india-climate-change

/[ Opinion - heaps of criticism for inaction   ]/
*Beyond Magical Thinking: Time to Get Real on Climate Change*
Despite decades of studies and climate summits, greenhouse gas emissions
continue to soar. Energy scientist Vaclav Smil says it’s time to stop
ricocheting between apocalyptic forecasts and rosy models of rapid CO2
cuts and focus on the difficult task of remaking our energy system.
BY VACLAV SMIL  -- MAY 19, 2022
- -
We are increasingly subjected to opposing propensities to embrace
catastrophism (those who say there are just years left before the final
curtain descends on modern civilization) and techno-optimism (those who
predict that the powers of invention will open unlimited horizons beyond
the confines of the Earth, turning all terrestrial challenges into
inconsequential histories). I have little use for either of these
positions. I do not see any already predetermined outcomes, but rather a
complicated trajectory contingent on our — far from foreclosed— choices.

Catastrophists have always had a hard time imagining that human
ingenuity can meet future food, energy, and material needs — but during
the past three generations we have done so despite a tripling of the
global population since 1950. And techno-optimists, who promise endless,
near-miraculous solutions, must reckon with a similarly poor record. One
of the best-known failures has been the belief in the all-encompassing
power of nuclear fission as the solution to our energy needs.

In the latest burst of intensified catastrophism, some journalists and
activists write about climate apocalypse now, issuing final warnings: In
the future, areas best suited for human habitation will shrink, large
areas of the Earth are to become uninhabitable soon, climate migration
will reshape America and the world, average global income will decline
substantially. Some prophecies claim that we might only have about a
decade left to avert a global catastrophe.
I am convinced that we could do without this continuing flood of
never-less-than-worrisome and too-often-quite-frightening predictions.
How helpful is it to be told every day that the world is coming to an
end in 2050 or even 2030? And if these claims are true, why should we
even worry about global warming?

On the other side, why is it that some scientists keep on charting such
arbitrarily bending and plunging curves leading to near-instant
decarbonization? And why are others promising the early arrival of
technical super-fixes that will support high standards of living for all
humanity? There are no limits to assembling such models, leaving
prognosticators to posit 100 percent inexpensive thermonuclear
electricity or cold fusion by 2050. Only the imagination limits these
assumptions: they range from fairly plausible to patently delusionary.

Such predictably repetitive prophecies (however well-meant and however
passionately presented) do not offer any practical advice about the
deployment of the best possible technical solutions, about the most
effective ways of legally binding global cooperation, or about tackling
the difficult challenge of convincing populations of the need for
significant expenditures whose benefits will not be seen for decades to
come.
- -
And in a civilization where production of essential commodities now
serves nearly 8 billion people, any departure from established practices
also runs into the constraints of scale. Even though the supply of new
renewables (wind, solar, new biofuels) rose impressively — about
fiftyfold during the first 20 years of the 21st century — the world’s
dependence on fossil carbon declined only marginally, from 87 percent to
85 percent of the total supply.

Moreover, any effective commitments will be expensive and will have to
last for at least two generations in order to bring the desired outcome
(of much reduced, if not totally eliminated, greenhouse gas emissions).
And even drastic reductions going well beyond anything that could be
realistically envisaged will not show any convincing benefits for
decades. This raises the extraordinarily difficult problem of
intergenerational justice — that is, our never- failing propensity to
discount the future.
We value now more than later, and we price it accordingly. Should
average global life expectancy (about 72 years in 2020) remain the same,
the generation born near the middle of the 21st century would be the
first to experience a cumulative economic net benefit from
climate-change mitigation policies. Are the young citizens of affluent
countries ready to put these distant benefits ahead of their more
immediate gains? Are they willing to sustain this course for more than
half a century?

Nobody in 1945 could have predicted a world with more than 5 billion
additional people that is also better fed than at any time in history. A
lifetime later, there is no reason to believe that we are in a better
position to foresee the extent of coming technical innovations, the
events that will shape the fortunes of nations, and the decisions (or
their regrettable absence) that will determine the fate of our
civilization during the next 75 years.

I am neither a pessimist nor an optimist. I am a scientist trying to
explain how the world really works. A realistic grasp of our past,
present, and uncertain future is the best foundation for approaching the
unknowable expanse of time before us. While we cannot be specific, we
know that the most likely prospect is a mixture of progress and
setbacks, of seemingly insurmountable difficulties and near-miraculous
advances. The future, as ever, is not predetermined. Its outcome depends
on our actions.
https://e360.yale.edu/features/beyond-magical-thinking-time-to-get-real-about-climate-change

/[ a nice personal video assessment of the COP meeting ] /
*Climate Futures: Beyond 02022 | Kim Stanley Robinson*
Mar 28, 2022  Long Now continues our dialogue with the acclaimed writer
Kim Stanley Robinson around COP26 and his most recent book The Ministry
for the Future. Clean energy advocate & author Ramez Naam will join
Robinson on stage after the talk for a further discussion.

Tackling topics from carbon quantitative easing, to political action, to
planetary-level engineering, Robinson describes our current situation as
"all-hands-on-deck" where every possible mitigation strategy should be
tried. You can find our other talks with Kim Stanley Robinson on our
YouTube channel.

Kim Stanley Robinson is an American novelist, widely recognized as one
of the foremost living writers of science fiction and increasingly,
climate fiction. His work has been described as humanist or literary
science fiction and his use of scientific accuracy and non-fiction
descriptions places him in the hard sci-fi genre.

Robinson has published more than 20 novels including his much honored
"Mars trilogy", New York 2140 (02017), and The Ministry for the Future
(02020). Robinson studied under Ursula K Le Guin and earned a Ph.D. in
literature from UCSD with a dissertation on the works of Philip K. Dick.

"Climate Futures: Beyond 02022" was given on March 03, 02022 as part of
Long Now's Seminar series. The series was started in 02003 to build a
compelling body of ideas about long-term thinking from some of the
world's leading thinkers. The Seminars take place in San Francisco and
are curated and hosted by Stewart Brand.
https://youtu.be/oUYr89QbFQ0

/[//One nation will pay money to eliminate carbon pollution ] /
*New Zealand to Help Pay for Cleaner Cars*
May 18, 2022
New Zealand’s government recently announced it will help pay for poorer
families to replace their old cars with cleaner hybrid or electric vehicles.

The government said it plans to spend $357 million on the test program.

The move is part of a wider plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Greenhouse gases are believed to cause warming temperatures in the
Earth’s atmosphere.

New Zealand plans to provide aid for businesses to reduce emissions and
have buses that run on environmentally safe fuel by 2035. The government
also plans to provide food-waste collection for most homes by 2030.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement, “We’ve all seen the
recent reports on sea level rise and its impact right here in New
Zealand. We cannot leave the issue of climate change until it’s too late
to fix.”

The plan is a step toward New Zealand’s stated goal of reaching net-zero
carbon emissions by 2050. Reaching net-zero emissions means not creating
more carbon in the atmosphere than oceans and forests can remove.

Ardern said that reducing dependence on fossil fuels would help protect
families from extreme price increases.

The plan also sets a goal of reducing total car travel by 20 percent
over the next 13 years.

The programs will be paid for from a $2.8 billion climate emergency
response fund. Officials said that over time, money collected from
polluters would pay for the programs rather than taxes from families.

Some critics of the plan say it continued to be less restrictive on New
Zealand’s huge agriculture industry. Agriculture creates about half of
the nation’s total greenhouse gas emissions. But the industry is also
important to the economy as the nation’s biggest export earner.

David Seymour is the leader of New Zealand’s ACT political party. He
said that some of the announced programs are proven to be ineffective
“and have been tried and failed overseas.”

Seymour added that people should be able to choose how they reduce
emissions through the market-based emissions trading plan.

I’m Jonathan Evans.

Nick Perry reported on this story for the Associated Press. Jonathan
Evans adapted this story for Learning English.
https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/new-zealand-to-help-pay-for-cleaner-cars-/6577118.html

/[The news archive - looking back on this important legal defeat ]/
/*May 20, 2013*/
The US Supreme Court refuses to hear an appeal of the 9th US Circuit
Court of Appeals' decision in the Kivalina v. ExxonMobil case,
effectively ending one effort to hold fossil fuel companies legally
accountable for carbon pollution.

http://environblog.jenner.com/corporate_environmental_l/2013/05/high-court-refuses-to-take-up-kivalina-climate-suit.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*

*Climate Central * Researching and reporting the
science and impacts of climate change

News page https://www.climatecentral.org/news