[✔️] May 26, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Thu May 26 10:16:10 EDT 2022

/*May 26, 2022*/

/[  Better living through better batteries  ] /
*Tesla battery research group unveils paper on new high-energy-density
battery that could last 100 years*
Fred Lambert - - May. 24th 2022
Tesla’s advanced battery research group in Canada in partnership with
Dalhousie University has released a new paper on a new nickel-based
battery that could last 100 years while still favorably comparing to LFP
cells on charging and energy density.

Back in 2016, Tesla established its “Tesla Advanced Battery Research” in
Canada through a partnership with Jeff Dahn’s battery lab at Dalhousie
University in Halifax, Canada.

Dahn is considered a pioneer in Li-ion battery cells. He has been
working on the Li-ion batteries pretty much since they were invented. He
is credited for helping to increase the life cycle of the cells, which
helped their commercialization.

His work now focuses mainly on a potential increase in energy density
and durability, while also decreasing the cost...
- -
One of the keys appears to be using an electrolyte with LiFSI lithium
salts, and the paper notes that the benefits could also apply to other
nickel-based chemistries, including those with no or low coba
https://electrek.co/2022/05/24/tesla-battery-research-paper-high-energy-density-battery-last-100-years/

/[ Uh oh.  No surprise, just another voice ]/
*Experts to World: We’re Doomed*
A new report from the Stockholm International Peace Institute paints a
grim picture of the coming decades.
By Matthew Gault
- -
It ends on a hopeful note and some recommendations. Essentially, the
nations of the world must come together, invest in resilience, finance
peace, and make clear the risks of not working on the problems of
eliminating conflict and climate change together. “Humanity has the
knowledge and skills to escape from the trouble in which we find
ourselves,” the report said. “We can draw hope from the examples being
taken by governments, civil society, local communities, and
multinational groupings that are successfully addressing hazardous
situations. The need is to learn from them and scale up.”
https://www.vice.com/en/article/93bxxv/experts-to-world-were-doomed

/[  Krugman speaks ]
/*The Heat Is Already On*
May 24, 2022
By Paul Krugman
Last week Stuart Kirk, the head of responsible investing (!) for HSBC’s
asset management division, gave a talk titled “Why investors need not
worry about climate risk,” in which he declared that it’s no big deal:
“Who cares if Miami is six meters underwater in 100 years? Amsterdam has
been six meters underwater for ages, and that’s a really nice place. We
will cope with it.”...
- -
And while we may “cope with it” for a while, there will come a point
when we can’t — and the scale of catastrophe will be immense.

There are several forms of climate denialism. Kirk simply offered one
version — still unforgivable from someone who’s supposed to be a risk
manager — which goes, “Hey, what’s the big deal if the planet gets a
degree or two warmer?”

With apologies to climate scientists, who know that I’m about to
perpetrate a vast oversimplification, and further apologies for my
D.I.Y. artwork, I present a schematic explanation of why that argument
is all wrong...

    For a particular location — say, northern India — the distribution
    of temperatures might have looked something like
    this:..https://static01.nyt.com/images/2022/05/24/opinion/krugman240522_1/krugman240522_1-jumbo.png?quality=75&auto=webp

    Now imagine that a buildup of greenhouse gases raises average
    temperatures, shifting the probability distribution to the right.
    Even if the average temperature — the peak of the bell-shaped curve
    — remains below the danger level, the frequency of episodes of
    dangerously high temperatures may dramatically increase:
    https://static01.nyt.com/images/2022/05/24/opinion/krugman240522_2/krugman240522_2-jumbo.png?quality=75&auto=webp...

- -
Climate change increases the frequency of destructive storm surges,
severe droughts and more...
- -
Thanks to human ingenuity, we’ll cope — until we can’t, because the
scope of the crisis will exceed even modern society’s ability to adapt.
I think of our response to changing climate as being like a rubber band
that can be stretched a long way until it suddenly snaps. And then the
megadeaths will begin.

I wish I was being hyperbolic, but I think I’m just being realistic.

The tragedy here is that the climate crisis is eminently solvable. Among
other things, progress in renewable energy has been so dramatic that
even a fairly modest policy push could still lead to a large reduction
in greenhouse gas emissions.

But none of this can happen without participation from the United
States, and rational climate policy in what is still the world’s
essential nation is being held hostage by people more concerned with
imaginary threats from critical race theory and swarming immigrants than
with the rapidly changing fate of the planet.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/24/opinion/climate-change-global-warming.html

/[ Follow the flows of your favorite Arizona lake ] /
*Colorado River Update*
May 24, 2022  #LakeMead #California
Tonight I talk about the Colorado River. Each reservoir is facing its
own challenges and I talk about several along the river!
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976,
allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism,
comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education, and research.
Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statutes that might otherwise
be infringing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3ZYMKfmkc

/[ Living on Earth audio and transcript]/
*Self-Immolation for the Climate*
On Earth Day April 22 this year Wynn Bruce, a Buddhist, and
environmentalist, set himself on fire on the steps of the Supreme Court
to protest inaction on climate change. Living on Earth’s Jenni Doering
speaks with Brother Phap Dung, a Buddhist Dharma Teacher, about the
urgent message behind this extreme action and how to find hope and
purpose in the face of the climate emergency.
/[Transcript on page
https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=22-P13-00020&segmentID=2
]/
*CURWOOD*: It’s Living on Earth, I’m Steve Curwood.

On Earth Day, April 22nd a Colorado man set himself on fire on the steps
of the US Supreme Court to protest inaction on climate change. Wynn
Bruce was airlifted to a hospital but died a day later from his burns.
He was a Buddhist and environmental activist. And his protest followed
the line of Buddhist monks who self-immolated to call attention to
suffering and injustice back during the Vietnam War. More recently some
160 people including Buddhist monks and nuns have set themselves on fire
in protest of China’s crackdown in Tibet. Mr. Bruce’s act of
self-immolation in front of the Supreme Court came as the justices
considered the climate change case West Virginia v. EPA that we talked
about before the break. Brother Phap Dung is a Buddhist Dharma Teacher
at Deer Park Monastery in Southern California, and he spoke with Living
on Earth’s Jenni Doering.

*DOERING:* Could you tell us a little about the history of self
immolation as a form of political protest and moral expression?

*DUNG: *I'm only 50 something years old. And I knew of it through the
war in Vietnam. My parents are from Vietnam, and I escaped as a refugee
in the early 80s. And so when I came over here, I came across Buddhists
in my college studying that. And now as a monk, we know that there's
that way of communicating to give voice and to bring awareness to
injustice and violence and so on. In time of the Buddha, there are
people who have taken their lives, monastic. But it was not something
that we condone, that was actually why the Buddha came up with the
precept not to take life, including your own. So in that perspective,
you know, people who are Buddhists for monks, or nuns who put fire to
their body in a way, it's not like they are killing themselves or
suicide, but they're using their body as a way of communicating a
message. So this is my own reflection. And it depends on each monk, each
nun, each lay person, during the Vietnam War, the media was not covering
it, monks and nuns were being killed. So they wanted to bring a violent
awareness to it so that the media and the world can look at what's going
on. It's so happened, a lot of Buddhists do that, especially in the
modern times...
/[ More at transcript link below]/
/- -/
*DOERING: *Right. I mean, speaking of that kind of activism, to what
extent is being part of calling for solutions and calling for an end to
this climate crisis, is that an antidote to despair, and to this climate
anxiety that a lot of us feel?

*DUNG:* We call that volition in Buddhism, to have a reason to be. We
can't be just nine to five workers. We just had a retreat for 110 young
adults, they came to the monastery. And of course, they have urban
angst, and depression and so on. Some of them cried, because there's too
many people, they were like, so afraid. They don't just want to work for
money. They want to work for meaning. But there's also learning the
tools to take care of our emotion, our anxiety or depression, because in
the end, it is just a feeling. And we cannot let that monopolize our
mind. Because there's also a wonderful things happening at the same
time. Your parents are still alive. You know, your brothers and sisters
and your friends are still alive. You have so many other things to be
grateful for. You have to nourish yourself with that every time you wake
up in the morning, wow, I have 24 brand new hours in front of me. I vow
to live today. It was like my last day, when you pour water into your
hand you are grateful. So in a way, we also have to hold on to magic to
wonder to the miracle of life, as we continue to knock at the door of
whatever cause we're doing right. We've had young people come from the
XR movement from the Occupy movement.../
//- -/
*DUNG:* If you know how to see the environment as not separate from
ourselves that they are us then a kind of sense of love, reverence,
respect will be the inexhaustible source of energy for you to continue.
So if you see it as environment, material things to do and organize with
science, only, then it's very, very tedious. When you lay on the ground
floor of a seqouia forest and touch the archaic time, the timelessness
of the planet, when you can touch that kind of insight. You're not bound
to human life form or your own lifespan. Even if the humans kill
ourselves, the planet will continue. The planet is fine. We don't need
to save the planet. I love seeing these lines when I was in Glasgow, we
need to save the planet. And I was like no other planet doesn't need we
need to save ourselves is more like the phrase. That kind of insight is
not negative and depressing and giving up. But actually, it gives you
the power to see this wonder that we're moving through the cosmos. We're
not the only planet you know.

*DOERING: *Yeah, it doesn't mean that climate change doesn't matter. We
should give up.

*DUNG:* No, no, no. It gives you energy to know that you want your
children and the next generation to also have this wonder and I lay out
and look up into the sky at night and I imagine I am the eye of Mother
Earth. I am the lungs of Mother Earth looking back at itself. So we are
from the Mother Earth. It's so freeing So in a way those kinds of energy
gives me not just hope but real practical energy to sit with someone and
listen to their suffering.

*CURWOOD: *That’s Buddhist Dharma Teacher, Brother Phap Dung, speaking
with Living on Earth’s Jenni Doering./
/https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=22-P13-00020&segmentID=2

/[The news archive - looking back to the very first IPCC report - 32
years ago ]/
/*May 26, 1990*/
The New York Times covers the release of the First Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report:

    *Scientists Urge Rapid Action on Global Warming*
    By Craig R. Whitney, Special To the New York Times
    May 26, 1990

    A panel of scientists warned today that unless emissions of carbon
    dioxide and other harmful gases were immediately cut by more than 60
    percent, global temperatures would rise sharply over the next
    century, with unforeseeable consequences for humanity.

    While much of the substance of the report has already been
    disclosed, the report had immediate political consequences. Prime
    Minister Margaret Thatcher of Britain, breaking with the Bush
    Administration's skepticism over the need for immediate action, said
    today that if other countries did their part, Britain would reduce
    the projected growth of its carbon dioxide emissions enough to
    stabilize them at 1990 levels by the year 2005.

    West Germany's Environment Minister, Klaus Topfer, has proposed that
    Europe should go further and cut present emissions by 25 percent by
    that time, but the United States has said until now that the
    scientific case for global warming - the so-called greenhouse effect
    - has not been made and that no action needs to be taken.

    Mrs. Thatcher's action is a blow to the Bush Administration, which
    was counting on her as its major ally in slowing any international
    action to reduce the industrial pollution that causes global warming.

    The report by a working group of the United Nations
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was approved by all but a
    handful of the 90 delegates from 39 countries, said Dr. John T.
    Houghton, chairman. The report said that if nothing at all was done,
    the global mean temperature could rise 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit by the
    end of the 21st century.

    It said that in that case, ocean water would expand and ice stored
    at the poles could melt, raising the level of the sea by 25.6
    inches. That would be enough to submerge the Maldives and inundate
    the coastal plains of Bangladesh and the Netherlands, oceanographers
    say.

    Mr. Houghton, Britain's chief meteorologist, said that only a
    handful of the scientists in the panel disagreed with the findings,
    which he said were dramatic confirmation of how rapidly the carbon
    dioxide, methane, chlorofluorocarbons and other gases released into
    the air by industrial processes, the burning of tropical forests and
    other factors had been changing the earth's atmosphere since the end
    of the 18th century. A draft of the report was previously disclosed.

    *Britain and U.S. Percentages*

    Britain, with 1 percent of the world's population, is responsible
    for about 3 percent of its carbon dioxide emissions, Mrs. Thatcher
    said. The United States, with 5 percent of the population, is
    responsible for about 25 percent of the emissions, American
    scientists say.

    Prof. Bert Bolin, the chairman of the intergovernmental panel,
    described Mrs. Thatcher's action as ''very useful'' but said, ''It
    is not enough in the long term.'' If all countries did as Britain
    suggested, Dr. Houghton said, it would still not be enough to stop
    the enhanced greenhouse effect. ''If you want to stop it, you have
    to cut by 60 percent immediately,'' he said at a news conference in
    Englefield Green, where the working group discussed its findings
    this week.

    ''She has taken a kind of halfway position between the aggressive
    moves being considered by the West Germans and the 'What, me worry?'
    position of the United States,'' said Michael Oppenheimer, an
    atmospheric physicist of the Environmental Defense Fund of New York
    City, who was in a group of scientists Mrs. Thatcher invited a year
    ago to advise her on global warming.

    *Called Too Little Too Late*

    British environmental groups denounced Mrs. Thatcher's proposal as
    too little, too late. ''It does not even go as far as the very
    modest first step that the European Community proposed back in March
    of stabilizing emissions at the present level by the year 2000,''
    said Andrew Dilworth, a spokesman for Friends of the Earth.

    Mrs. Thatcher, in her speech at the opening of a center for climate
    prediction and research in Bracknell, said, ''It is no good setting
    political targets for action which are just not realistic in
    practice.'' Mrs. Thatcher, who had been briefed on the working
    group's findings earlier this week, said today that reducing
    projected increases in British carbon dioxide emissions by 30
    percent in 15 years would mean ''significant adjustments to our
    economies - more efficient power stations, cars which use less fuel,
    better insulated houses and better management of energy in general.''

    The working group's report is one of three that were commissioned in
    November 1988 by the United Nations Environment Program and the
    World Meteorological Organization for a global climate conference in
    Geneva in November. Another working group headed by the Soviet Union
    is considering the impact of climate changes on agriculture,
    forests, fisheries, water resources, and sea barriers, and the
    third, headed by the United States, is considering strategies for
    responding to climate change. Professor Bolin said today that he
    would not discuss the draft reports of either of them.

    *Cut of 60% Recommended*

    The United Nations group's report today said that just to stabilize
    atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and
    chlorofluorocarbons at today's levels, there would have to be
    immediate cuts of more than 60 percent in their output. Depending on
    how much was actually done to cut emissions, it said, global mean
    temperature would still keep rising between 0.1 degrees centigrade
    (0.18 degrees Fahrenheit) and 0.2 degrees centigrade (0.36 degrees
    Fahrenheit) per decade.

    Global mean surface air temperature has already increased by 0.3
    degrees centigrade (0.54 Fahrenheit) to 0.6 degrees centigrade (1.08
    degrees Fahrenheit) over the last 100 years, it said, with the five
    average warmest years all occurring in the 1980's.

    Scientists who study global climate trends concede, however, that
    the computer models on which they base their predictions are flawed.
    While the researchers can measure gases in the atmosphere with
    precision, they have not perfected methods of predicting their
    effects on particular regions on earth.

    So far, there has been only one major step to control greenhouse
    gases - the major industrialized countries' pledge last year to ban
    production of chlorofluorocarbons, used as refrigerants and
    propellants, by the end of this century because they rise to the
    upper atmosphere and destroy the ozone molecules that block most of
    the sun's harmful ultraviolet radiation.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/26/world/scientists-urge-rapid-action-on-global-warming.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*