[✔️] May 30, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Mon May 30 10:47:42 EDT 2022

/*May 30, 2022*/

/[  the Washington Post newspaper is near the Atlantic coast and at risk
of storms ] /
*Opinion  Another monster hurricane season looms as we dawdle on climate
change*
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has forecast that
the coming hurricane season will see 14 to 21 named storms — and three
to six Category 3 or above. This would be yet another in a series of
abnormal seasons.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/29/another-monster-hurricane-season-looms-we-dawdle-climate-change/

[ big fire in New Mexico ]
*Black Fire grows to a quarter of a million acres*
https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/05/29/black-fire-grows-to-a-quarter-of-a-million-acres/
- -
https://nifc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d375d3d880a649aa914f693db309b892

/[  clips re -- Juliana v US - is the young person's lawsuit  -- All
presidents are blocking it ]/
*Biden Is Aiming to Destroy a Historic Climate Change Lawsuit*
BY JULIA ROCK  - - 05.26.2022
Juliana v. United States is a historic climate change lawsuit seeking to
establish a constitutional right to a livable planet. But the Biden
administration has indicated it will fight tooth and nail to prevent the
lawsuit from ever getting a trial.
Any day now, a federal circuit court is expected to deliver a ruling
that would allow a historic climate change lawsuit to proceed to trial.

If and when the case moves forward, however, it faces a major obstacle:
President Joe Biden’s Justice Department.

The lawsuit, Juliana v. United States, was brought by twenty-one young
plaintiffs in 2015 and seeks to establish a federal, constitutional
right to a livable planet. If the case is successful, any federal
policies that enable more fossil fuel development could be challenged as
unconstitutional.
- -
“I have asked [them] very directly, if we win this motion, and we can
move forward with the case, do you intend to go to trial?” Julia Olson,
the lead plaintiff’s lawyer, told us. “Their response has always been
something along the lines of, ‘It is our position that the court doesn’t
have jurisdiction and that this case should never go to trial.’”

Juliana v. United States was ambitious from the start. The plaintiffs
are asking a federal court system, stacked with right-wing judges backed
by the fossil fuel industry, to enshrine a constitutional right to a
livable climate. But the plaintiffs point to what they’ve pulled off
thus far as evidence it’s achievable.

For example, Oregon district court judge Ann Aiken wrote in a procedural
ruling on the case in 2016, “I have no doubt that the right to a climate
system capable of sustaining human life is fundamental to a free and
ordered society.” That was the first time a federal US judge declared
that such a constitutional right existed...
The case has widespread support from public officials: last year, six
state attorneys general filed an amicus brief in support of the case,
and forty-eight congresspeople wrote to the Biden Justice Department in
support of the plaintiffs. The matter is also beginning to capture
public attention; the lawsuit is the subject of a newly released Netflix
documentary, YOUTH v GOV.

After the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed the case in 2020
because it concluded the plaintiffs lacked standing, the Juliana
plaintiffs revised their complaint. Now, parties are waiting on a ruling
from Aiken about whether the revised complaint addresses the Ninth
Circuit Court’s concerns — a ruling that the plaintiffs’ lawyers expect
will be favorable, allowing the case to again proceed.

But these same lawyers say they expect the Biden administration to fight
them every step of the way, just like his presidential predecessors.
- -
*The Supreme Court uses the shadow docket f*or supposed emergency
actions, such as death penalty cases, so the matters can avoid the
lengthy briefing and public hearing processes of typical Supreme Court
cases. Opinions on shadow docket actions are not published, and the
justices’ votes are usually not made public. Over the past few years,
the court has also leaned on the shadow docket to quietly stop climate
policy from taking effect — including Obama’s signature environmental
legislation, the Clean Power Plan.

But the Juliana case stands out even among climate litigation: It has
faced six rulings on the shadow docket — more than any other federal
lawsuit. Those behind the lawsuit say this development illustrates the
fossil fuel industry’s capture of American politics.

“The US solicitor general and US Department of Justice have together
authorized what appears to be the most exceptional of legal tactics more
often in Juliana v. US than in any other case in history,” said Olson.
“They have authorized the filing of an apparently unprecedented six
petitions for writ of mandamus in Juliana v. US, to keep the twenty-one
youth plaintiffs’ evidence of our government’s unconstitutional
complicity in causing the climate crisis from ever seeing the light of day.”

The Juliana plaintiffs hoped that with Trump out of the picture, the
lawsuit might finally see the light of day. But instead, they found that
during settlement negotiations last fall, the Biden administration was
just as stubborn in its approach to the case.

“After months of good-faith efforts on the part of the youth plaintiffs
to meet with representatives of the Biden administration authorized to
reach a meaningful settlement, the plaintiffs saw no reason to continue
to pursue settlement discussions until the decision-makers for the
federal defendants come to the settlement table in good faith,” Olson’s
cocounsel, Philip Gregory, told us.

Now they are awaiting a ruling from Aiken on their motion to proceed to
trial.
- -
*What the Government Knew*
While there has been a substantial uptick in climate-related litigation
over the past five years, the Juliana case is different from other US
climate lawsuits in at least two substantial ways.

First, while most climate-related litigation targets the fossil fuel
industry for misleading the public or causing irreversible harm, this
case names the federal government as the perpetrator. (Of course, fossil
fuel industry influence plays a key role — just four oil companies spent
nearly $375 million lobbying the federal government in the past decade.)
In particular, according to the suit, the federal government has limited
the due process rights of its citizens by subsidizing and passing
regulations to enable fossil fuel expansion for decades, all while
knowing about the potentially catastrophic consequences of that development.

Evidence of what the federal government has known about climate change
for the past five decades is detailed in a legal brief written by Gus
Speth, an environmental lawyer who cofounded the Natural Resources
Defense Council and, before that, led the Council on Environmental
Quality under President Jimmy Carter.
---
When asked about the future — the “posterity” that Wood deploys in her
legal arguments — Baring shifted the conversation back to the present.
He graduated from college earlier this month and is returning to Alaska
to continue the climate fight.

“There’s so much dualism, especially in my generation, because we don’t
have very much power and we are watching everything be gambled away,” he
said. “But I always come back to this moment and think, ‘Well, what’s my
obligation to change the trajectory, right now?’ This is our
generation’s work to do.”
https://jacobinmag.com/2022/05/biden-climate-change-juliana-case-lawsuit-doj

/[  The Pentagon is paying attention - clips from article ] /
*‘In the crosshairs’: Department of Navy releases climate change strategy*
By Geoff Ziezulewicz - - May 27, 2022
The Department of the Navy this week released its strategy for how it
will deal with climate change and proceed toward the government’s goal
of net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

“Climate change is one of the most destabilizing forces of our time,
exacerbating other national security concerns and posing serious
readiness challenges,” Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said in the
introduction to the 32-page report. “Our naval and amphibious forces are
in the crosshairs of the climate crisis and this strategy provides the
framework to empower us to meaningfully reduce the threat of climate
change.”

Setting the department on a course to combat climate change is a main
priority of Del Toro’s tenure. He called the issue “existential” for the
Navy and Marine Corps...
- -
The Army released its own climate strategy in February...
- -
The Department of the Navy’s “Climate Action 2030″ plan seeks to reduce
emissions and installation energy demands by increasing carbon
pollution-free electricity options, while helping the force prepare to
operate in potentially volatile future climates.

The Department of the Navy is looking to cut 5 million metric tons of
carbon dioxide “or equivalent pollution” each year by 2027, a move the
Navy says would equate to taking a million cars off the road.
- -
“The (Department of the Navy) will also deploy cyber-secure microgrids
or comparable technology to leverage carbon pollution-free power at our
bases and installations to support critical missions,” a release
announcing the plan states...
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/05/27/in-the-crosshairs-department-of-navy-releases-climate-change-strategy/
- -
[ Navy report ]
*Department of the Navy Climate Action 2030.pdf*
https://www.navy.mil/Portals/1/Documents/Department%20of%20the%20Navy%20Climate%20Action%202030.pdf?ver=ScwuxX5mGr9jXT1ewRvlxg%3d%3d&timestamp=1653339650456
- -
/[ Army report ]/
*The Army released its own climate strategy in February*
https://www.navytimes.com/land/2022/02/08/with-new-climate-strategy-army-aims-to-prepare-soldiers-for-harsher-environments/

/[ video about tipping points - reference the FAQ  ]/
*Losing Livable Planet IPCC AR6 WG2*
May 27, 2022  The multiple impacts of global climate change already are
disastrously damaging and widespread, and increasing fast. Impacts
especially extreme weather events (including forest fires) will become
unavoidably severe and widespread, even with a global emergency
response. The IPPC AR6 reports that there is now the risk of passing
tipping points. Without immediate rapid global decline in emissions a
livable planet for our future will be lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcyci1EP8o
--
/[ the full page of the IPCC FAQ referenced above ]/
*FAQ 3: How will climate change affect the lives of today’s children

Climate change impacts are increasingly being felt in all regions of the
world with growing challenges for water availability, food production
and the livelihoods of millions of people. We also know that impacts
will continue to increase if drastic cuts in greenhouse gas emissions
are further delayed – affecting the lives of today’s children tomorrow
and those of their children much more than ours. But science is also
clear: with immediate action now, drastic impacts can still be prevented.

The scientific assessment in the WGII Report addresses the near-term (up
to 2040), mid-term (2041-2060) and the long-term (2081-2100). Today, the
latter two milestones may seem far away, but children who were born in
2020 will be 20 years old in 2040 and 80 years old in 2100. The end of
the century is less than a lifetime away. Actions taken now to reduce
emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases drastically and adapt to a
changing climate will have a profound effect on the quality of their
lives and their children’s lives, as well as their health, well-being,
and security. We also have to take into account that by 2050 almost 70%
of the world’s growing population will live in urban areas, many in
unplanned or informal settlements. As a result, today’s children and
future generations are more likely to be exposed and vulnerable to
climate change and related risks such as flooding, heat stress, water
scarcity, poverty, and hunger. Children are amongst those suffering the
most, as we see today.

But what is our children’s future going to look like, if we do not limit
global warming to well below 2°C, preferably to 1.5°C, compared to
pre-industrial temperature? Based on the Working Group II assessment, we
know that global warming is already changing much of the world as we
know it. Its impacts will intensify in the coming decades with profound
implications for all aspects of human life around the world. Our food
and water supplies, our cities, infrastructure and economies as well as
our health and well-being will be affected.

For example: children aged ten or younger in the year 2020 are projected
to experience a nearly four-fold increase in extreme events under 1.5°C
of global warming by 2100, and a five-fold increase under 3°C warming.
Such increases in exposure would not be experienced by a person aged 55
in the year 2020 in their remaining lifetime under any warming scenario.

Globally, the percentage of the population exposed to deadly heat stress
is projected to increase from today's 30% to 48-76% by the end of the
century, depending on future warming levels and location. If the world
warms more than 4°C by 2100, the number of days with climatically
stressful conditions for outdoor workers will increase by up to 250
workdays per year by century’s end in some parts of South Asia, tropical
sub-Saharan Africa and parts of Central and South America. This would
cause negative consequences such as reduced food production and higher
food prices. In Europe, the number of people at risk of heat stress will
increase two- to three-fold at 3°C global warming compared to warming
levels of 1.5°C.

With ongoing global warming, today’s children in South and Southeast
Asia will witness increased losses in coastal settlements and
infrastructure due to flooding caused by unavoidable sea level rise,
with very high losses in East Asian cities. By mid-century, more than a
billion people living in low-lying coastal cities and settlements
globally are projected to be at risk from coastal-specific climate
hazards. Many of those will be forced to move to higher ground, which
will increase competition for land and the probability of conflict and
forced relocation.

Climate change will impact water quality and availability for hygiene,
food production and ecosystems due to floods and droughts. Globally, 800
million to 3 billion people are projected to experience chronic water
scarcity due to droughts at 2°C warming, and up to approximately 4
billion at 4°C warming, considering the effects of climate change alone,
with present-day population. Children growing up in South America will
face an increasing number of days with water scarcity and restricted
water access, especially those living in cities and in rural areas
depending on water from glaciers. As the Andean glaciers and snowcaps
continue to melt, the amount of available water decreases as the
glaciers shrink or disappear entirely. Countries in Central America will
experience more frequent and stronger storms or hurricanes and heavy
rainfall, causing river flooding.

Today’s young people and future generations will also witness stronger
negative effects of climate change on food production and availability.
The warmer it gets, the more difficult it will become to grow or
produce, transport, distribute, buy, and store food – a trend that is
projected to hit poor populations the hardest. Depending on future
policies and climate and adaptation actions taken, the number of people
suffering from hunger in 2050 will range from 8 million to up to 80
million people, with most severely affected populations concentrated in
Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central America. Under a high
vulnerability-high warming scenario, up to 183 million additional people
are projected to become undernourished in low-income countries due to
climate change by 2050.

Africa is the continent with the world’s youngest population (40% of the
population are under 15 years old). Here, climate change will
significantly increase the number of children with severe stunting
(impaired growth and development which often leads to limited physical
and cognitive potential), by approximately 1.4 million by 2050 under
2.1°C of warming due to malnutrition. The lack of food and
under-nutrition are strongly linked with hot climates in the sub-Saharan
area and less rainfall in West and Central Africa. Climate change can
undermine children’s educational attainment, thus reducing their chances
for well-paid jobs or higher incomes later in life.

The concerning news is: all these projected impacts will not only reduce
the prospects of sustainable development, but our Working Group II
Report also projects an increase in poverty and inequality as well as
increased involuntary migration of people due to climate change. These
strength of regional wildfires, increased floods and droughts, and an
increase in temperature-related incidences of vector-borne, water-borne
and food-borne diseases such as dengue, malaria, cholera and Rift Valley
Fever.

In addition, we now know that multiple climate hazards will occur
simultaneously more often in the future. They may reinforce each other
and result in increased impacts and risks to nature and people that are
more complex and more difficult to manage. For example, reductions in
crop yields due to heat and drought, made worse by reduced productivity
because of heat stress among farmworkers, will increase food prices,
reduce household incomes and lead to health risks from malnutrition, as
well as climate-related deaths, especially in tropical regions.

But there is also positive news: all these risks can be reduced
substantially by taking urgent action to limit global warming and by
strengthening our adaptation efforts – for example by protecting and
conserving nature, and by improving planning and management of our
cities (for details see TS FAQ 5). The youth movement, together with
many non-governmental organizations, has led to a rising wave of public
global awareness of climate change and its life-threatening impacts. To
successfully secure our own future and the future of the coming
generations, climate risks must be factored into each decision and
planning. We have the knowledge and the tools. Now it is our choice to make.
https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/about/frequently-asked-questions/keyfaq3/

/[ time to listen to a classic lecture -  by ancestor of climate science ]/
*Climate Change: Is the Science "Settled"?*
May 13, 2010 (February 4, 2010) Stephen Schneider, professor of biology
at Stanford and senior fellow at the Woods Institute for the
Environment, unpacks the political and scientific debates surrounding
climate change. This course was originally presented in Stanford's
Continuing Studies program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmlHbt5jja4

/[The news archive - looking back at fleeting moments of great insight ]/
/*May 30, 2013*/
In a controversial Huffington Post article, climate scientist James
Hansen suggests that neither Republicans nor Democrats can be relied
upon to combat carbon pollution in a market-based manner.

    Our government has failed to address climate, energy, and economic
    challenges. These challenges, addressed together, actually can be a
    great opportunity. Our democracy and economic system still have
    great potential for innovation and rapid adoption of improved
    technologies, if the government provides the right conditions and
    gets out of the way...
    - -
    A self-licking ice cream cone is a self-perpetuating system with no
    purpose other than to sustain itself. The phrase was used first in
    1992 in On Self-Licking Ice Cream Cones, a paper by Pete Worden
    about NASA's bureaucracy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-american-party_b_3358546

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*