[✔️] October 4, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Tue Oct 4 08:20:11 EDT 2022

/*October 4, 2022*/

/[  PBS reports ] /
*UN chief says the world is in ‘life-or-death struggle’ for survival*
World Oct 3, 2022
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned
Monday that the world is in “a life-or-death struggle” for survival as “
climate chaos gallops ahead” and accused the world’s 20 wealthiest
countries of failing to do enough to stop the planet from overheating.

The U.N. chief said emissions of global-warming greenhouse gases are at
an all-time high and rising, and it’s time for “a quantum level
compromise” between rich developed countries that emitted most of the
heat-trapping gases and emerging economies that often feel its worst
effects.

Guterres spoke as government representatives opened a meeting in Congo’s
capital Kinshasa to prepare for the major U.N.-led climate conference in
the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in November. It’s a time of
immense climate impacts around the world — from floods that put
one-third of Pakistan under water and Europe’s hottest summer in 500
years to hurricanes and typhoons that have hammered the Philippines,
Cuba and the U.S. state of Florida.

In the last few weeks, Guterres has amped up a push for climate’s
version of asking polluters pay for what they’ve done, usually called
“loss and damage,” and he said Monday that people need action now.

“Failure to act on loss and damage will lead to more loss of trust and
more climate damage. This is a moral imperative that cannot be ignored.”

Guterres said the COP27 meeting in Egypt “must be the place for action
on loss and damage.”

In unusually critical language, he said commitments by the so-called G20
group of the world’s 20 leading economies “are coming far too little,
and far too late.”

Guterres warned that current pledges and policies “are shutting the door
on our chances to limit global temperature rise to 2 degrees Celsius,
let alone meet the 1.5 degree goal.”

“We are in a life-or-death struggle for our own safety today and our
survival tomorrow,” he said...
{ more at }
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/un-chief-says-the-world-is-in-life-or-death-struggle-for-survival

/[ reaching the youngsters as soon as possible  NYT article ]/
*Climate Change for Preschoolers: A TV Show Explores Unmapped Ground*
There are almost no books, TV shows or other tools to help parents and
teachers talk to preschoolers about climate change. “Octonauts: Above
and Beyond” is one of the first to try...
- -
Instead, “Octonauts” is heavy on adventurous heroes. A pair of pirate
cats travel the world to rescue animals from islands that are being
swallowed by the rising seas. A macaque hydrologist delivers water to a
herd of elephants on the Namibian coast as worsening drought dries up
their drinking water.

As the thawing permafrost of Siberia thwarts a canine scientist from
conducting her research, she observes; “Temperatures have been rising
all over the world. It may just not be cold enough for the ground to
stay frozen anymore” without explaining the connection to greenhouse
gases from fossil fuels.

In a way, the series is part of a long tradition of children’s programs
that employ animal characters to teach about the natural world.
- -
“We feel pretty strongly that we don’t want kids to feel overwhelmed and
depressed,” said Sara DeWitt, the senior vice president and general
manager of PBS Kids. Ms. DeWitt said that, historically, PBS has built
its educational children’s shows around existing school curriculums. But
there is no agreement on the best way to teach the youngest children
about the more powerful storms, wildfires, rising seas and extreme heat
and drought that will shape their lives.
- -
“Nobody really knows yet at what age kids can understand climate
change,” said Gary Evans, an environmental and developmental
psychologist at Cornell University who is conducting a study of children
in kindergarten through third grade to find out what they know about
climate change and how it makes them feel. “Anyone who tells you that
they know the best way to talk to young kids about climate change is
doing so without the guidance of data.”

Climate scientists say that needs to change. Children born within the
last decade, sometimes known as “Generation Alpha,” will be first to
live their entire lives on a planet that has been irrevocably altered by
human-caused global warming.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/04/climate/octonauts-climate-change-preschool.html

- -

/[ visit this site if you are concerned about your children ]/
*Welcome to ClimateMama*
You are a mother, a father, a grandparent, an uncle, an aunt, a teacher
or a child at heart. When you hear the Native American saying, “We don’t
inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children”,
it makes you stop for a moment and think. You love nature, travel,
adventure and believing in a world that is special and unique. Climate
change and global warming are words that alarm you, that often seem too
big to get your arms around. You care about what’s happening to the
world and notice small changes in your own life that seem to point in
the direction of a threatened environment. But you wonder if these
changes are real, and if they are you can’t imagine what you can do to
help change what is happening.
https://climatemama.com/

- -

/[ Authors page - book for children ]/
*How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate Change: Turning Angst into Action*
With catastrophic global warming already baked into the climate system,
today's children face a future entirely unlike that of their parents.
Yet how can we maintain hope and make a difference in the face of
overwhelming evidence of the climate crisis?

Help is at hand. Written by Harriet Shugarman – the Climate Mama and
trusted advisor to parents – How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate
Change provides tools and strategies for parents to explain the climate
emergency to their children and galvanize positive action. Coverage
includes:

The unvarnished realities of the climate emergency, where we are at, and
how we got here
Strategies for talking to kids of different ages about the climate
crisis, including advice from engaged parents on the ground
How to maintain our own hope and that of our children
A list of practical actions families can take to tackle the climate
change crisis
Ideas for helping children follow their passions in pursuit of a
livable, just, and sustainable world.
A lifeline for parents who are feeling overwhelmed with fear and grief,
this book provides both hope and practical ways to engage children in
pursuit of a better world that is still possible.

About the Author: Harriet Shugarman is Executive Director of
ClimateMama, professor of Climate Change and Society and World
Sustainability, and a mentor and leader with the Climate Reality
Project. She is a nationally recognized influencer, connector, and
trusted messenger for parents on solutions to our climate crisis. A
recipient of the prestigious Climate Reality Alfredo Sirkis Memorial
Green Ring Award,Harriet has been praised by Al Gore as “an outstanding
Climate Reality Leader who has demonstrated an exceptional commitment to
her role as a climate communicator and activist.” Learn more about
Harriet here.
https://climatemama.com/author-page
https://www.amazon.com/Talk-Your-About-Climate-Change/dp/0865719365/ref=sr_1_1

*[  It may be important to carefully regard his words...  text from
Heated podcast ]*
*The climate idiocy of Ron DeSantis*
Florida's governor is spending $1 billion to shield his constituents
from a crisis he's actively trying to make worse.
Emily Atkin
Oct 1
As governor of the most climate-vulnerable state in the U.S., Ron
DeSantis has gone to great lengths to convince people that he is Not
Like Other Republicans.

He created a chief resilience officer position for his administration to
"prepare Florida for the … impacts of climate change.” He signed two
bills to strengthen sea level rise protections across the state.
Overall, DeSantis has committed a total investment of $1.2 billion in
resilience projects to prepare Florida for climate impacts.

But as DeSantis invests all these taxpayer dollars protecting Floridians
from climate change, he is also enacting anti-climate policies to ensure
those investments will fail. It’s like spending a bunch of money to buy
new tires, while also installing a bunch of spikes in your driveway.
Stupid. Why would anyone do that?
I don’t know, but DeSantis is doing it. The only explanation I can think
of is that he doesn’t think spikes cause holes in tires, or that fossil
fuels cause climate change. That is evidenced not only by his
rhetoric—he’s said he’s not ”concerned about what is the sole cause” of
climate change—but by two major policies he has recently enacted to
ensure fossil fuels keep burning as long as humanly possible.

These policies, if adopted on a national level, would all but doom
Florida and other climate-vulnerable states. Considering DeSantis is
widely considered a 2024 presidential contender, it’s worth taking a
look at how truly dangerous and financially irresponsible they are—and
how lots of other Republicans are adopting them, too...
- -
Two recent policies to keep Florida underwater

The first policy enacted by DeSantis in Florida is what Food & Water
Watch called “the most extreme energy preemption bills in the nation.”
Signed last year, these bills ban Florida cities and towns from adopting
100 percent clean energy goals, reasoning that those goals
“discriminate” against fossil fuels.

That means municipalities in the literal Sunshine State are being forced
to keep using fossil fuels even if they don’t want to. It doesn’t matter
if a climate change-fueled hurricane destroyed your town and now you
want to be part of the solution. Sorry, honey. DeSantis said no.

The second policy came about a month ago, when DeSantis adopted measures
to ban the state’s $186 billion pension fund from making investment
decisions that consider climate change. DeSantis did this because he
said such decisions constitute an “ideological agenda.”
- -
Courting the oil industry for political gain

For DeSantis to make a successful 2024 run, he needs to have the oil
industry on his side. To that end, there’s nothing better he can do than
push their priorities—which just so happen to be the two policies
described above.

“DeSantis is following political trends,” said Dan Cohen, an energy
researcher for the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial
Analysis. “Republicans across the country are trying as hard as they can
to move the funds they have control over to stand against the tide”—the
tide being toward clean energy and a safe climate.

Indeed, Florida is just one of 17 Republican-led states that have
proposed or adopted legislation limiting the ability of the state
government to do business with entities that are moving away from fossil
fuels. DeSantis is also part of a coalition of 19 Republican-led states
that sent a strongly-worded letter to BlackRock CEO Larry Fink,
threatening legal action against him for investing with a clean energy
future in mind. 19 other Republican-led states have adopted laws that
prohibit cities from banning natural gas and other fossil fuels.

If legislation like this were adopted nationally, effective action to
slow climate change would be near-impossible. Both governments and
financial institutions would be forced to fund fossil fuels, financial
risks of climate change be damned.

“This is the Republican’s latest version of climate denial, where all of
a sudden climate science is out the window,” said Jackie Fielder,
co-director of the Stop the Money Pipeline coalition. “Ultimately, the
people who will pay for it are the folks in Florida having to repair
their homes, and so many other victims of climate change.”
So stupid that it probably won’t work — for now

Republicans like DeSantis are trying their best to prevent financial
institutions from moving away from fossil fuels. But it turns out that,
at least for now, their best is not very good...
- -
Of course, this could all change if Republicans continue their
coordinated drive to appoint judges that are against climate action. And
if a Republican like DeSantis wins the presidency, there’s no telling
how far these financially stupid actions could go.

For now, though, some climate advocates are just taking it as a sign
that the tide is truly turning against fossil fuels.

“I view this as a sign that the divestment movement is winning, the fact
that DeSantis and all these Republicans are suddenly engaged on this
topic,” said David Arkush, the policy director of Public Citizen’s
climate program. “Of course, I would like them to not do these things,
not hurt their own citizens … But these are ultimately fossil fuel
lobbying dollars that are behind this push. So if they’re pushing money
here, it's because they feel themselves losing.”
https://heated.world/p/the-climate-idiocy-of-ron-desantis

/[ Tipping Points are not found in a restaurant ]/
*The scariest climate science paper I've ever read?*
Sep 19, 2022
This month a paper came out that honestly chilled me. It was about
tipping points in climate - a well-known concept that the climate can
change abruptly if certain conditions are met in certain elements of the
climate system, such as excess melting of the Greenland ice sheet. That
wasn't new. What was new was the threshold these tipping elements could
flip - according to this research, we could be triggering some tipping
elements already - and if we warm the planet by just 1.5°C then we are
likely to do so.

The climate is still within our control. But if we keep emitting as we
are, that isn't always going to be the case.

Every. Tenth. Of. A. Degree. Counts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxoyaCSWFGs

[ Economic predictions given in May of this year  video - book authoring
interview ]
*Full Ep: What Will The World Look Like in Five Years?*
578,307 views  Premiered Jul 7, 2022

Regionalization” is the transition from a world of stable prices and
consistent growth to one of rising costs of living where the threat of
global famine is real.

The breakdown of an economic order framed by just-in-time supply chains
requires a rethink of trade networks and relationships. Geopolitical
strategist Peter Zeihan addresses these issues and more in his new book
“The End of the World Is Just the Beginning: Mapping the Collapse of
Globalization.”

Zeihan joins Real Vision’s Maggie Lake to talk about the implications of
this transition, including the end of China’s time as a great power and
the perpetuation of the U.S. dollar’s status as the global reserve
currency.

Recorded on May 31, 2022.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzipwDQBUyc

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*October 4, 2014*/
*October 4, 2014: New York Times columnist Gail Collins observes:*

"There was a time when Republicans were leaders in the fight to slow
climate change — particularly for the concept called 'cap and trade,'
which had a marketplace-friendly tilt. Among the co-sponsors of a
cap-and-trade bill in 2007 was Senator Lisa Murkowski, a Republican of
Alaska. Murkoswki had to run for re-election as an independent in 2010,
having lost her party’s nomination to a Tea Party favorite who complains
about 'climate-change alarmists.'

"These days, it takes courage for a Republican to acknowledge that human
beings have anything to do with climate change at all."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/opinion/gail-collins-the-walrus-and-the-politicians.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*