[✔️] October 13, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Thu Oct 13 07:39:55 EDT 2022

/*October 13, 2022*/

/[ report from the Guardian ] /
*Animal populations experience average decline of almost 70% since 1970,
report reveals*
Huge scale of human-driven loss of species demands urgent action, say
world’s leading scientists
- -
Many scientists believe we are living through the sixth mass extinction
– the largest loss of life on Earth since the time of the dinosaurs –
and that it is being driven by humans. The report’s 89 authors are
urging world leaders to reach an ambitious agreement at the Cop15
biodiversity summit in Canada this December and to slash carbon
emissions to limit global heating to below 1.5C this decade to halt the
rampant destruction of nature.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/13/almost-70-of-animal-populations-wiped-out-since-1970-report-reveals-aoe

- -

/[ WWF report]/
*LIVING PLANET REPORT 2022*
The Living Planet Report 2022 is a comprehensive study of trends in
global biodiversity and the health of the planet. This flagship WWF
publication reveals an average decline of 69% in species populations
since 1970. While conservation efforts are helping, urgent action is
required if we are to reverse nature loss.

*​INTERLINKED EMERGENCIES: CLIMATE CHANGE AND BIODIVERSITY LOSS*
The evidence is unequivocal—we are living through the dual crises of
biodiversity loss and climate change driven by the unsustainable use of
our planet’s resources. Scientists are clear: unless we stop treating
these emergencies as two separate issues neither problem will be
addressed effectively.

*OUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP WITH NATURE*
Climate change and biodiversity loss are not only environmental issues,
but economic, development, security, social, moral, and ethical issues
too. Industrialized countries are responsible for most environmental
degradation but it is developing nations that are disproportionately
impacted by biodiversity loss. We all have a role to play in building a
nature-positive society that safeguards the planet for the good health
of everyone.
https://livingplanet.panda.org/en-US/

/[ BBC says Greenland is the biggest source of sea level rise -  3 min+
video  ]/
*The impact of climate change on Greenland as the Arctic heats up - BBC
News*
Oct 12, 2022  Communities in northern Greenland have lived in one of the
world's toughest environments for centuries.

But temperatures have risen faster in the Arctic region than elsewhere
on earth, and the impact of climate change is being felt on the local
way of life.

Greenland‘s ice cap is the single biggest contributor to global sea
levels rises and what happens to the ice sheet and glaciers will impact
the rest of the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzm_ZXeHRbY

/[ Variety news reports on all things entertainment ]/
*Scripted TV and Movies Ignore Climate Change Concerns in Storytelling*
Scant mention of environmental crises found in study of more than 37,000
scripts from 2016-2020
By William Earl
A new study from nonprofit environmental firm Good Energy and the USC
Norman Lear Center found few references to climate change and
environmental crises in a survey of more than 37,000 scripts from 2016
to 2020.

The study aimed to track the level of “climate change representation” in
mainstream scripted entertainment. The data showed that only 2.8% of
37,453 scripts analyzed used any “climate change keywords,” while only
0.6% featured the words “climate change.” Only 10% of stories that
depicted “extreme weather events” tied the occurance to any form of
climate change, while a mere 12% of those tied the problem to the use of
fossil fuels.

CBS and HBO Max were cited as the broadcast and pay TV platforms with
the highest rate of climate change-related scripted content, with CBS
clocking in at 7.5% and HBO Max at 6.4%. That compares with research
indicating that some 40% of Americans live in countries that have been
affected by extreme weather events.
“Right now the vast majority of shows and films are set in an alternate
universe that doesn’t include the
climate crisis. This study shows that audiences are starting to feel
that disconnect,” said Anna Jane
Joyner, founder and director of Good Energy. “That’s why Good Energy
exists – we support
screenwriters in uncovering how characters would authentically encounter
the climate crisis. What’s
exciting is that this process unlocks all kinds of new character
conflicts and story possibilities.”

The study, “A Glaring Absence: The Climate Crisis is Virtually
Nonexistant in Scripted Entertainment,” asserts that surveys show that
viewers have a growing interest in climate-related stories and thus it
gives Hollywood an incentive to weave stories that address real-world
climate issues like wildfires, flooding, extreme winds, drought,
hurricanes, superstorms and other destructives aspects of climate change...
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/climate-change-cbs-hbo-max-good-energy-usc-norman-lear-1235400598/

- -

/[ Here's the link to the study ]/
*A Glaring Absence**
**The Climate Crisis is Virtually Nonexistent in Scripted Entertainment*

This groundbreaking report, produced by Good Energy and the USC Norman
Lear Center’s Media Impact Project, is a first-of-its-kind analysis of
37,453 TV and movie scripts from 2016-2020. Our findings confirm what we
all suspected: there is a glaring absence of climate change in scripted
media.
As the crisis worsens, stories that do not acknowledge climate will
begin to feel divorced from reality. Thus, telling climate stories is
not just good for the planet, it is in the best interests of an industry
that seeks to engage audiences through authentic characters and narratives.
We studied 37,453 scripted TV episodes and films released between 2016
and 2020, to find out how frequently they featured climate change,
including 36 related keywords.
The biggest takeaway

*PEOPLE WANT TO SEE CLIMATE CHANGE REFLECTED ON-SCREEN*
Audience members have difficulty recalling any recent climate portrayals
on-screen, positive or negative.

When we asked people when they last saw a portrayal of climate change
on-screen, by far the most common response was “I don’t know” (68%),
followed by 2004’s The Day After Tomorrow and the Mayan prophecy
disaster film 2012, which was not about climate change.

https://www.goodenergystories.com/offerings/research/
/

/- -/

/[ The Full Report available as PDF file]/
https://learcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/GlaringAbsence_NormanLearCenter.pdf/

/[ from Grist ]/
*Report: World Bank invested nearly $15 billion in fossil fuel projects
despite climate commitment*
A new report alleges the international finance institution has failed on
its promise to align more closely with the Paris agreement...
- -
The report comes from Big Shift Global, a coalition of NGOs that work to
bring transparency to global energy investments, which analyzed public
data from Oil Change International’s Public Finance for Energy database.
It found that net new investments from the World Bank Group between the
fiscal years of 2018 to 2021 amounted to roughly $14.8 billion.

“There is no excuse for a new fossil fuel project to be constructed,”
said Elaine Zuckerman, who left the World Bank in the 1990s to hold the
group accountable for the gender and climate impacts of its decisions.
Her organization, Gender Action, is a member of Big Shift Global and a
contributor to the report.
- -
“My view, based on more than 40 years of experience with the World Bank
is that the biggest beneficiary of world bank loans are these very large
corporations — often multinational corporations,” she said.

 From a strategy standpoint, clean energy projects are better, cheaper
vehicles for job creation than fossil fuel projects, said Jim Barrett, a
energy and environmental economist who consulted with the World Bank in
2021.

It’s not a matter of whether or not a fossil fuel investment creates
jobs, he said. “It will no doubt create jobs. The question is, is there
a better, more productive way to invest a million dollars in developing
countries? And the answer is yes.”

A spokesperson from the World Bank Group told Grist: “We dispute the
findings of the report: it makes inaccurate assumptions about the World
Bank Group’s lending. In fiscal year 2022, the Bank Group delivered a
record $31.7 billion for climate-related investments, to help
communities around the world respond to the climate crisis, and build a
safer and cleaner future.”

But the report’s authors argue those  investments can end up locking
communities and economies into a future dependent on fossil fuels “at a
time when politically, scientifically and in the real world, the case to
divest from fossil fuels and invest in clean renewables should have been
obvious.” Leaders from the World Bank and the International Monetary
Fund are expected to meet in Washington, D.C., this week to discuss a
range of investment questions moving forward.
https://grist.org/economics/report-world-bank-invested-nearly-15-billion-in-fossil-fuel-projects-despite-climate-commitment/

/[ More from Grist ]/
*Wildfire smoke is hurting pregnant moms and babies. Can California
cities protect them?*
The legacy of redlining in Fresno isn’t just linked to housing access.
It also has deadly effects on air quality and preterm birth.
- -
Those most at risk were likely the people living in substandard housing,
a problem tied to historically exclusionary policies in the region. As
research increasingly shows how wildfire smoke and poor air quality hurt
pregnant people and the children they carry, cities across California
are working to curb these effects through ventilation centers and
weatherization programs. In Fresno, where the air quality is routinely
some of the worst in the country, the city and its residents are
grappling with how to keep up with the increased risk of severe wildfire
smoke...
- -
“Areas that were redlined have been shown to have houses that are of
poor quality,” says Rachel Sklar, a post-doctoral researcher at the UC
Air pollution of all types is a problem for these “leaky” homes. But as
wildfire smoke increases in both severity and intensity in places like
Fresno, public health messages are failing to address inequalities in
housing standards. According to a report titled “Wildfire Smoke: A Guide
for Public Health Professionals” compiled by the Environmental
Protection Agency, “the most common advisory during a smoke episode is
to stay indoors, where people can better control their environment.”
However, the authors explained that the effectiveness of staying indoors
as a strategy “depends on how well the building limits smoke from coming
indoors.” The authors acknowledged that access to air conditioning is
helpful to reduce indoor smoke, but many low-income households don’t
have access to it...
- -
Air quality districts around the state are starting to realize the
importance of healthy air in homes and have piloted a variety of
incentives to find solutions, though improvements in air quality are
often one of many benefits of energy-focused programs. The Fresno
Economic Opportunities Commission has a weatherization program aimed at
helping homeowners and renters cut down on energy costs and prepare
their homes for extreme weather by weather-stripping doors, caulking
windows and gaps, insulating exterior walls, and repairing and
replacement ducts. “Of the residents served within the past year, 56
percent lived in homes 50 years or older,” says Fresno EOC Energy
Manager Matt Contrestano. “In addition, almost 23 percent of the homes
assessed were deferred services due to the condition of the home
including structural, electrical, plumbing, sewage and water leaks or
clutter and pest infestation issues.”

In 2021, Fresno EOC’s Transform Fresno project, which focuses on
downtown, Chinatown, and southwest corners of Fresno, provided
energy-efficient upgrades to 12 homes; in 2020, they reached 34 homes.
According to Contrestano, these programs help residents by reducing
utility bills, maximizing energy efficiency, and allowing each resident
to live in a healthier and more comfortable environment.

In 2021, Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District launched a
program to give hundreds of free air purifiers to residents in the towns
of Guadalupe and Casmalia. This year, the San Joaquin Valley District
followed suit, approving a similar program to give 1,500 families free
in-home air purifiers to mitigate the in-home risks of wildfire smoke
exposure.

Despite the grueling summer months, Pacheco-Werner had a healthy
pregnancy and carried her baby to full term. But her son, now 4 years
old, has developed asthma, which has been difficult for
Pachecho-Werner’s family to manage. There’s no way to know if his asthma
is related to the wildfire smoke his mother breathed in when he was
growing in her womb.

This past spring, Pacheco-Werner became pregnant again, and she worried
that she’d have to endure another summer of hot, smoky weather. So far,
the pollution has been moderate, but Pacheco-Werner ended up facing
another challenge: Her second baby was born preterm, at 36 weeks.
Although she and the newborn are recovering well, Pacheco-Werner is
concerned he too will develop asthma like his brother.

Even so, Pacheco-Werner is well aware of the privilege that her fluent
English and health insurance afford her. But as a Mexican immigrant who
spent much of her life in Fresno’s “most impacted neighborhoods,” she
continues to use her personal experiences to inform her research on the
relationships between neighborhoods and health, fighting for every
Californian to have equal access to clean air.

“When we don’t pay attention to inequality,” she says, “it affects us all.”
https://grist.org/article/wildfire-smoke-is-hurting-pregnant-moms-and-babies-can-california-cities-protect-them/

/[ Oxford Climate Society --  discuss facing the future -  video ]/
*Restoring the Earth: The Essential Work of the 21st Century*
Oct 12, 2022  “Our planet is being heavily depleted by the insatiable
demands of an expanding human population and a culture that is driven by
the unsustainable dogma of endless economic growth. On every continent
natural forests and other ecosystems are in decline, rivers and the air
are polluted, topsoil is being lost and the land poisoned with
herbicides and pesticides. The oceans are being overfished, we’re in
early stages of the 6th mass extinction event in the Earth’s history,
this one caused entirely by humans, and anthropogenically induced
climate breakdown threatens our culture and life as we know it today.
It’s clear that we need a completely different way of living, with a
positive focus that will create a truly viable future for both humans
and all other life on Earth.” - Alan W. Featherstone

Alan Featherstone is an acclaimed ecologist, public speaker, nature
photographer and founder of the award-winning conservation charity Trees
for Life. His restoration work in the Caledonian Forest in Scotland has
inspired similar projects across the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCHGZANWhA

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*October 13, 2004*/
October 13, 2004: In his third debate with President Bush, Democratic
challenger and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry declares:

"Now, my faith affects everything that I do and choose. There's a great
passage of the Bible that says, 'What does it mean, my brother, to say
you have faith, if there are no deeds? Faith without works is dead.' And
I think that everything you do in public life has to be guided by your
faith, affected by your faith, but without transferring it in any
official way to other people. That's why I fight against poverty. That's
why I fight to clean up the environment and protect this Earth. That's
why I fight for equality and justice. All of those things come out of
that fundamental teaching and belief of faith.

"But I know this, that President Kennedy, in his Inaugural Address, told
all of us that, 'Here on Earth, God's work must truly be our own.' And
that's what we have to—so I think that's the test of public service."

(30:37--31:25)

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/DebateFu

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=63163

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*