[✔️] October 15, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Sat Oct 15 07:46:35 EDT 2022

/*October 15, 2022*/

/[ from GRIST - the big issue of the new COP ]/
*Climate reparations are on the agenda at COP27 — whether wealthy
nations like it or not*
“A bunch of countries and corporations are responsible for the mess.
They have to bloody clean it up. As simple as that.”
Naveena Sadasivam
Oct 11, 2022
- -
The planet has warmed by an average 1.2 degrees Celsius (2.2 degrees
Fahrenheit) since preindustrial times, enough to accelerate or intensify
an onslaught of cyclones, heatwaves, droughts, sea-level rise, and other
natural disasters. The countries most vulnerable to climate change claim
they have lost a fifth of their wealth due to climate change-driven
increases in temperature and inconsistent rainfall patterns over the
last 20 years.
- -
Loss and damage is expected to take center stage at the 27th United
Nations climate change conference, or COP27, in Egypt next month.
Famine-level drought in Somalia and devastating floods that left
one-third of Pakistan, a country responsible for less than 1 percent of
the world’s carbon emissions, underwater have only added urgency to the
issue.

Activists and developing nations hope to leave COP27 with a sustainable
system for funding loss and damage restitution over the long term. In
the past, countries have pledged funds to pay for climate projects in
poor countries, with the assistance of the United Nations.
- -
And since the conference is being held in a developing country for the
first time in six years, advocates hope to leverage media attention to
make the moral case for loss and damage funding. In a recent interview
with Bloomberg, India’s environment minister Bhupender Yadav said that
the focus on mitigation at last year’s COP “caused disappointment among
the smaller countries over the lack of discussion on loss and damages.”
He noted that India is working with other industrializing nations to
demand compensation.
- -
“You can’t just hide under the carpet,” said Singh, of the Climate
Action Network. “If they really want to avoid litigation and unlimited
liability, they should come to the table and find ways of supporting
communities who are facing this crisis. That’s the only way.”
https://grist.org/international/cop27-loss-and-damage-climate-reparations/

/[ Activism --this vote is more important than any - Greenpeace offers a
way to influence /
/https://www.mobilize.us/greenpeace/event/501693/?rname=Richard&share_context=event_details&share_medium=copy_link]/
*Virtual National Letter Writing Training & Party*
Time Monday, October 17 – Wednesday, October 19
9pm EDT +
Location  Virtual event- Join from anywhere
*About this event*
Writing letters to get climate voters to the polls is one of the
impactful things you can do right now for the climate. We’ll be sending
these letters to voters in key districts in the midterm general —
helping turn them out to vote for climate justice candidates. Learn more
about our races here: voteclimate2022.org

Join fellow volunteers on Zoom for a quick training, then we'll jump
into writing letters together! Please look for your confirmation email
with further instructions.
https://www.mobilize.us/greenpeace/event/501693/

- -

/[ read more about why climate voted matter ]/
*Build the Climate Vote*
We need champions in Congress who will fight for us – and we need to
hold politicians accountable to putting people and the planet over
corporate profit. Continuing to show up for elections will prove that
our movement cannot be ignored.

Fossil fuel executives and other powerful corporate interests depend on
voters staying home and have funded voter suppression efforts to
discourage us from taking part in our democracy. We are fighting back
against their underhanded tactics and driving turnout to ensure that
people do not sit this election out.

We have identified key races where climate justice candidates are
running, and we’re organizing to get climate voters informed and out to
the polls. Check out below to find out more about the key races in the
2022 midterm elections and where candidates stand on climate.

How you can help
Greenpeace USA volunteers all over the country are writing and sending
personalized letters to climate voters in key races to help turn them
out to vote for climate justice candidates. Personalized letters have
been shown to be one of the most effective ways to help get voters to
the polls. And, it’s fun and easy to do.

Key races where CLIMATE is on the ballot
We have identified key races where climate justice candidates are
running, and we’re organizing to get climate voters informed and out to
the polls.

These races are more than just elections between two candidates. These
races are a referendum on the future we want. We have the chance to
prove that we can build enough people power to beat fossil fuel funded
politicians and elect a Congress that delivers a livable future that
works for all of us.

We are writing letters to climate concerned voters in these districts
because they deserve to know that there is a difference between the
candidates when it comes to climate, environmental justice, and
protecting our communities – and how important it is to get out to the poll
https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/voteclimate2022/

/[ An interactive display showing heat shifts -- also increases in low
temperatures --  Bookmark this site - the Climate Shift Index map.   ] /
*Climate Shift Index*
What's the CSI scale?
The CSI is a categorical scale, with the categories defined by the ratio
of how common (or likely) a temperature is in today's altered climate
vs. how common it would be in a climate without human-caused climate
change. For the positive CSI conditions (which occur much more often
than the negative), we assigned a simple descriptor to these events (see
table).
https://www.climatecentral.org/tools/climate-shift-index?dmid=61216103940218736296

- -

/[For instance  -- enter a location. Select a day like yesterday, today,
tomorrow or the next day. Choose to see the high or  low temperature
increases - press the Anomaly button  ]/
*Climate Shift Index*
Night time conditions in Seattle are expected to be unusually warm. The
Climate Shift Index on the minimum temperature for tomorrow is expected
to reach level 2. Events reaching Climate Shift Index level 2 indicate a
strong climate-related event and show that climate change is having a
measurable impact on conditions in Seattle.
https://www.climatecentral.org/tools/climate-shift-index?dmid=61216103940218736296

/[  Link to view the sarcastic cartoon  ]/
*Why didn’t they call the carbon safeguard mechanism ‘Let’s Actually
Reduce Pollution lol’?*
First Dog on the Moon
Fri 14 Oct 2022
Nobody knows what this critical piece of climate policy is because it is
BORING
https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2022/oct/14/why-didnt-they-call-the-carbon-safeguard-mechanism-lets-actually-reduce-pollution-lol

/[ The news archive - looking back at Al Gore's inconvenient disruption ]//*
*//*October 15, 2007*/
October 15, 2007: New York Times columnist Paul Krugman ridicules
right-wing outrage over Al Gore's Nobel Prize win.

    Opinion
    *Gore Derangement Syndrome*
    By Paul Krugman
    Oct. 15, 2007

    On the day after Al Gore shared the Nobel Peace Prize, The Wall
    Street Journal’s editors couldn’t even bring themselves to mention
    Mr. Gore’s name. Instead, they devoted their editorial to a long
    list of people they thought deserved the prize more.

    And at National Review Online, Iain Murray suggested that the prize
    should have been shared with “that well-known peace campaigner Osama
    bin Laden, who implicitly endorsed Gore’s stance.” You see, bin
    Laden once said something about climate change — therefore, anyone
    who talks about climate change is a friend of the terrorists.

    What is it about Mr. Gore that drives right-wingers insane?

    Partly it’s a reaction to what happened in 2000, when the American
    people chose Mr. Gore but his opponent somehow ended up in the White
    House. Both the personality cult the right tried to build around
    President Bush and the often hysterical denigration of Mr. Gore
    were, I believe, largely motivated by the desire to expunge the
    stain of illegitimacy from the Bush administration.

    And now that Mr. Bush has proved himself utterly the wrong man for
    the job — to be, in fact, the best president Al Qaeda’s recruiters
    could have hoped for — the symptoms of Gore derangement syndrome
    have grown even more extreme.
    The worst thing about Mr. Gore, from the conservative point of view,
    is that he keeps being right. In 1992, George H. W. Bush mocked him
    as the “ozone man,” but three years later the scientists who
    discovered the threat to the ozone layer won the Nobel Prize in
    Chemistry. In 2002 he warned that if we invaded Iraq, “the resulting
    chaos could easily pose a far greater danger to the United States
    than we presently face from Saddam.” And so it has proved.
    But Gore hatred is more than personal. When National Review decided
    to name its anti-environmental blog Planet Gore, it was trying to
    discredit the message as well as the messenger. For the truth Mr.
    Gore has been telling about how human activities are changing the
    climate isn’t just inconvenient. For conservatives, it’s deeply
    threatening.

    Consider the policy implications of taking climate change seriously.

    “We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals,”
    said F.D.R. “We know now that it is bad economics.” These words
    apply perfectly to climate change. It’s in the interest of most
    people (and especially their descendants) that somebody do something
    to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases,
    but each individual would like that somebody to be somebody else.
    Leave it up to the free market, and in a few generations Florida
    will be underwater.

    The solution to such conflicts between self-interest and the common
    good is to provide individuals with an incentive to do the right
    thing. In this case, people have to be given a reason to cut back on
    greenhouse gas emissions, either by requiring that they pay a tax on
    emissions or by requiring that they buy emission permits, which has
    pretty much the same effects as an emissions tax. We know that such
    policies work: the U.S. “cap and trade” system of emission permits
    on sulfur dioxide has been highly successful at reducing acid rain.
    Climate change is, however, harder to deal with than acid rain,
    because the causes are global. The sulfuric acid in America’s lakes
    mainly comes from coal burned in U.S. power plants, but the carbon
    dioxide in America’s air comes from coal and oil burned around the
    planet — and a ton of coal burned in China has the same effect on
    the future climate as a ton of coal burned here. So dealing with
    climate change not only requires new taxes or their equivalent; it
    also requires international negotiations in which the United States
    will have to give as well as get.

    Everything I’ve just said should be uncontroversial — but imagine
    the reception a Republican candidate for president would receive if
    he acknowledged these truths at the next debate. Today, being a good
    Republican means believing that taxes should always be cut, never
    raised. It also means believing that we should bomb and bully
    foreigners, not negotiate with them.

    So if science says that we have a big problem that can’t be solved
    with tax cuts or bombs — well, the science must be rejected, and the
    scientists must be slimed. For example, Investor’s Business Daily
    recently declared that the prominence of James Hansen, the NASA
    researcher who first made climate change a national issue two
    decades ago, is actually due to the nefarious schemes of — who else?
    — George Soros.

    Which brings us to the biggest reason the right hates Mr. Gore: in
    his case the smear campaign has failed. He’s taken everything they
    could throw at him, and emerged more respected, and more credible,
    than ever. And it drives them crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/opinion/15krugman.html?_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*