[✔️] October 17, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Mon Oct 17 08:55:53 EDT 2022

/*October 17, 2022*/

/[  what may happen at COP  ]/
*Poor nations to demand climate justice, finance at UN summit*
Wanjohi Kabukuru, Associated Press

The chair of an “influential negotiating bloc” at UN climate talks has
called for funds for global-south countries suffering from climate
change to be “high up on the agenda” at COP27 taking place in Egypt in
November, Associated Press reports. Madeleine Diouf Sarr, who chairs the
Least Developed Countries group, tells AP that the group would like to
see “an agreement to establish a dedicated financial facility” that pays
nations that are already facing “loss and damage” because of climate
change. Sarr tells AP: “We have delayed climate action for too long. We
can no longer afford to have a COP that is ‘all talk.’ The climate
crisis has pushed our adaptation limits, resulted in inevitable loss and
damage, and delayed our much-needed development.” (For more on loss and
damage, see Carbon Brief’s recent week-long special series, including an
in-depth Q&A exploring the question: “should developed nations pay for
‘loss and damage’ from climate change?”; an interactive timeline on the
struggle over loss and damage at the UN climate talks; a feature
exploring “non-economic” loss and damage; an article on its importance
to COP27 featuring voices from John Kerry to Vanessa Nakate; and an
online webinar on the topic.)

Elsewhere, the New York Times reports that 20 of the world’s most
climate-vulnerable countries “are considering halting their repayment of
$685bn in collective debt” to rich countries. According to the
newspaper, Mohamad Nasheed, the former president of the Maldives, warned
that “poor nations were locked in a Sisyphean trap: they must borrow
money to ward off rising seas and storms – only to see disasters made
worse by climate change destroy the improvements they make. But the debt
remains, and often countries are left to borrow once again.”
https://www.getrevue.co/profile/CarbonBriefDailyBriefing/issues/carbon-brief-daily-17-10-2022-1407829

/[  Activism in Berlin --  For immediate release   ] /
*60 scientists from Scientist Rebellion disrupt opening of World Health
Summit in Berlin, Germany and demand urgent action on the climate emergency*
Berlin, 16 October 2022. Scientists from Scientist Rebellion caused a
stir with their protest at the opening of the World Health Summit in
Berlin on Sunday evening. Around 6:30 pm, 40 scientists from all over
Europe blocked the entrance of the conference building, 7 of them glued
themselves with superglue. Another 20 academics dressed in lab coats
pasted large scientific publications about the climate crisis to the
entrance and held banners saying "CLIMATE CRISIS = HEALTH CRIS", "1.5°C
= Political Fiction" and "Unite against climate failure". They were
accompanied by 10 activists of the group "Letzte Generation" (Last
Generation), who also glued themselves to the ground in front of the
entrance. German chancellor Scholz opened the conference ceremony. His
speech was interrupted several times by a fire alarm in the building set
off by the scientists.

"There is no plausible way to stay below 1.5 degrees and comply with the
Paris Agreement within our current economic system. Politicians must be
honest and stop misleading the public. It is in fact highly likely that
we will exceed 1.5 degrees of global warming within the next ten years.
This means immense suffering, especially in the Global South, but also
here in Europe. It is high time to drastically change course," says Dr.
Matthias Schmelzer from the Institute of Sociology at the University of
Jena, Germany.
With their peaceful yet disruptive protests, the scientists want to make
clear to society the hard physical and ecological reality versus
political fiction. There is a real possibility of a global catastrophe.
With actions of civil resistance, Scientist Rebellion demands immediate
action to limit the escalating impacts of the climate crisis –
nationally and internationally...
- -
Scientist Rebellion is a coalition of international scientists and
academics founded in 2021 to call for civil disobedience in the face of
political failure over the climate and ecological crisis. The growing
movement is mobilizing scientists from across Europe and is part of a
coalition of nonviolent civil resistance groups joining forces in
October 2022 with the #UniteAgainstClimateFailure campaign to achieve
damage control as quickly as possible. Coalition partners include:
Letzte Generation, Debt for Climate, End Fossil Occupy, und Jetzt oder
Nie - Eltern gegen die Fossilindustrie.

- -

/[ scientists rebel in Berlin ]/
*We are scientists, calling for a climate revolution
**We are currently heading directly towards civilizational collapse.*
We need to switch into climate emergency mode as a society."
Dr. Peter Kalmus
As scientists, we have tried writing reports and giving presentations
about the climate and ecological crisis to those in power. We must now
have the humility to accept these attempts have not worked. Now is the
time for us to take action, so that we show how seriously we take our
warnings.
A united academia has the power to shift the course of the climate crisis.
Over 500 academics have already signed.
https://www.scientistrebellion.com/

- -

/[ radical flank opens up to moderate activists ]/
*Action And Activism: Is it time to mobilise the moderate flank?*
Premiered October 16, 2022   Recent activism in the UK has made
worldwide headlines. By bringing cultural treasures into the discussion,
it raises new anxieties and questions about what is at stake.

The visual impact of the soup hitting the van Gogh painting was
viscerally shocking to many, including myself. On reflection it reminded
me of when the painter Francis Bacon was asked what he would save in a
burning house if the choice was between a Rembrandt self-portrait and
cat. Without hesitation Bacon said the cat, emphasising the value of
life over art.

With that in mind, the Living Planet Report, shows that animal
populations have declined by 70% since 1970. This is mass extinction
territory and it is the world that these protestors are trying to draw
the wider publics attention to.

Regardless of what we think of their action, the post war boomer
generation and my own that have succeeded it, have partaken in this
destruction both of the complex web of life on Earth and also the dreams
and aspirations of the next and every successive generation.

In this ClimateGenn episode, recorded a few weeks ago with, author,
philosopher and former XR spokesperson, Professor Rupert Read, and his
colleague 'Systems and culture change strategist’ Paddy Loughton, we
discuss urgent need for a mobilisation of the moderate masses in what
they define as a Moderate Flank.
Social tipping points occur when enough when the force of change can no
longer be held back. But what does a Moderate Flank actually look like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAsT0ZS8a4

/[ Young American journalist reads top climate news --  ]/
*Greta says Germany's messing up, Activists protest Truss' energy moves
| The Climate Recap*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zTiJ2EQUE

/[ a new harsh reality publication - it may help with our understanding ]/
*The Petroleum Papers*
Inside the Far-Right Conspiracy to Cover Up Climate Change
By Geoff Dembicki
   "An essential read."—The Washington Post

   "Essential … This book belongs on the shelf next to Merchants of
Doubt, Dark Money, and Kochland."—Roy Scranton, author of Learning to
Die in the Anthropocene

   "The petroleum industry is guilty of a Big Tobacco–style public
cover-up, according to this vivid exposé."—Publishers Weekly STARRED Review

Burning fossil fuels will cause catastrophic global warming: this is
what top American oil executives were told by scientists in 1959. But
they ignored that warning. Instead, they developed one of the biggest,
most polluting oil sources in the world―the oil sands in Alberta,
Canada. As investigative journalist Geoff Dembicki reveals in this
explosive book, the decades-long conspiracy to keep the oil sands
flowing into the U.S. would turn out to be one of the biggest reasons
for the world’s failure to stop the climate crisis.

In The Petroleum Papers, Dembicki draws from confidential oil industry
documents to uncover for the first time how companies like Exxon, Koch
Industries, and Shell built a global right-wing echo chamber to protect
oil sands profits—a misinformation campaign that continues to this day.
He also tells the high-stakes stories of people fighting back: a Seattle
lawyer who brought down Big Tobacco and is now going after Big Oil, a
Filipina activist whose family drowned in a climate disaster, and a
former Exxon engineer pushed out for asking hard questions.

With experts now warning we have less than a decade to get global
emissions under control, The Petroleum Papers provides a step-by-step
account of how we got to this precipice—and the politicians and
companies who deserve our blame.
https://www.amazon.com/Petroleum-Papers-Far-Right-Conspiracy-Climate/dp/1771648910/ref=sr_1_1

/[ modern classic photo from Biloxi MS ]/
https://www.visitalpena.com/wp-content/uploads/glm-member-db/files/4._sharkhead_s_souvenir_store_biloxi_ms_1588873782.jpg
https://www.visitalpena.com/event-detail/john-ganis-troubled-waters/

/[ The news archive - looking back at what Al Gore said ]/
/*October 17, 2000*/
October 17, 2000: In the third presidential debate, Vice President Al
Gore declares:

    "I spend a good deal of time talking to young people, and in my
    standard speech out there on the stump, I usually end my speech by
    saying, 'I want to ask you for something, and I want to direct it
    especially to the young people in the audience,' and I want to tell
    you what I tell them. Sometimes people who are very idealistic and
    have great dreams, as young people do, are apt to stay at arm's
    length from the political process, because they think their good
    hearts might be brittle, and if they invest their hopes and allow
    themselves to believe, then they're going to be let down and
    disappointed. But thank goodness, we've always had enough people who
    have been willing in every generation to push past the fear of a
    broken heart and become deeply involved in forming a more perfect
    union. We're America, and -- and we believe in our future, and we
    know we have the ability to shape our future.

    "Now, we've got to address one of the biggest threats to our
    democracy, and that is the current campaign financing system. And I
    know they say it doesn't rank anywhere on the polls. I don't believe
    -- I don't believe that's a fair measure. I'm telling you, I will
    make it -- I will make the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform
    bill the very first measure that I send to the Congress as
    president. Governor Bush opposes it. I wish that he would consider
    changing his mind on that, because I think that the special
    interests have too much power and we need to give our democracy back
    to the American people.

    "Let me tell you why. Those issues you mentioned, Social Security,
    prescription drugs--the big drug companies are against the
    prescription drug proposal that I've made. The HMOs are against the
    patients' rights bill, the Dingell-Norwood bill, that I support and
    that Governor Bush does not support. The big oil companies are
    against the measures to get more energy independence and renewable
    fuels. They ought to have their voices heard, but they shouldn't
    have a big megaphone that drowns out the American people. We need
    campaign finance reform, and we need to shoot straight with young
    and old alike and tell them what the real choices are. And we can
    renew and rekindle the American spirit and make our future what our
    founders dreamed it could be. We can."

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/PresidentialCandidatesDebate
(64:40--67:22)

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*