[✔️] October 21, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Fri Oct 21 08:59:59 EDT 2022

/*October 21, 2022*/

/[ It brought Seattle the worst air in the world -  NPR radio news --
text and audio  ]/
*Why haven't firefighters 'put out' the Bolt Creek fire?*
OCT 19, 2022
BY Paige Browning
The Bolt Creek Fire continues to smolder 14,000 acres of forest near
Skykomish, on the northern edge of Highway 2. The exact cause of the
human-sparked fire remains under investigation.

It's been 39 days since the fire started burning. Some residents are
asking firefighters: Why haven't they put it out?

It's not so simple, officials say.

It's been a rough, smoky five weeks for Skykomish residents. People have
had to cancel plans, schools and libraries have closed on and off, and
doctors offices have seen more visits due to wheezing — or worse — from
the smoke.

It's also bad for business.

Henry Sladek is the mayor of Skykomish. He also owns the historic
Cascadia Inn.

"We're at about a quarter of the normal business we'd be doing this time
of year," he said.

But despite the current outlook, things are going according to plan for
the 277 firefighters on the job.

The goal is to stop the fire from spreading — not to put it out, said
Don Ferguson, the public information officer for the Southeast
Washington Interagency Incident Management Team, which is containing the
fire.

"There have been a couple of fatalities in Western Oregon already this
year, people being hit by trees, and that would be a very likely
consequence of having people in the woods in those conditions," he said.
"So we don't want to put firefighters at risk and where they're not
going to be effective."

Ferguson added that crews are meeting the two big goals of containing
wildland fires: protect people's lives and protect buildings from
damage. They are letting the wilderness burn, a strategy widely adopted
in the U.S.

It's up to nature to do the rest.

"We worked all day for two days to control seven acres," Ferguson said.
"So that just kind of shows you dumping water from the sky is not a good
way to put a fire out. What we need is season-ending weather."

They're also trying to keep the fire away from Highway 2 and towns,
which has been more of a struggle.

The Bolt Creek fire is shaping up to be the fifth largest wildfire in
Western Washington in recorded history, according to Ferguson.

For his part, Mayor Sladek said he's preparing himself for what fire
experts have been warning about: the west-side of Washington could see
more seasons like this.

"It's much wetter and damper over here, so this is the first time that
that's really become and issue," Sladek said. "But it's probably a good
reminder that we are in that kind of an area and increasingly so,
probably, with climate change."

Firefighters estimate they'll have the Bolt Creek fire contained by
Halloween.
https://kuow.org/stories/why-haven-t-firefighters-put-out-the-bolt-creek-fire

/[ MIT Technology Review  -- oh save us Bill, please. ]/
*At Bill Gates’s climate conference, “amazing” progress and “depressing”
trends*
Energy secretary Jennifer Granholm and climate czar John Kerry also
offered tempered optimism at the inaugural Breakthrough Energy Summit
this week.
By James Temple
October 19, 2022
Bill Gates, John Kerry, and US energy secretary Jennifer Granholm all
struck positive notes at an energy summit in Seattle this week hosted by
Gates’s climate-focused venture fund, Breakthrough Energy. With caveats.

Government policy is accelerating clean energy projects. The cost of
renewables continues to fall. Huge sums of private and public capital
are pouring into climate technologies.

And yet, this progress hasn’t translated into steep reductions in
greenhouse-gas pollution. Meanwhile, geopolitical conflicts and global
economic headwinds are complicating efforts to keep rising global
temperatures in check.

Gates was largely focused on the promising investment and industry
trends he has seen. He said he and other investors in his initial $1
billion fund, which include the likes of Jeff Bezos and Kleiner Perkins
chairman John Doerr, were concerned when they launched in 2015 that they
wouldn’t find enough promising startups to invest in. But the firm has
now backed more than 100 companies working on long-duration energy
storage, meat alternatives, efficient buildings, clean steel, and other
means of driving down emissions.
Gates says he is “amazed” by the progress he’s seen on some of the
hardest technical challenges of climate change in the past seven years.

Breakthrough Energy closed a second $1 billion fund in 2021, and Gates
said the firm plans to “do several more.” It has also expanded its
mission beyond investments by pushing policies, creating fellowships,
and supporting other climate efforts.

Gates noted that venture capital investments in clean energy, which were
close to their ebb around 2015, have come roaring back and that wind,
solar, and lithium-ion batteries have continued to plummet in cost...
- -
But for all the progress that’s occurred, there are still major
obstacles to slashing emissions rapidly enough to avoid the worst
dangers of climate change.

Gates said that a hard look at nations’ progress toward near-term
emissions targets under the Paris climate agreement would leave people
“very depressed.” Indeed, global emissions set a new record last year
and have continued to rise through much of 2022.

Gates also called it “very laughable” to think that the US will build
out a clean electricity grid by 2035, despite the tens of billions of
dollars earmarked for wind and solar projects, and the fact that it’s a
stated goal of the Biden administration...
- -
A recent federal bill that included provisions to streamline such
approvals failed to move forward in Congress.

John Kerry, the US special presidential envoy for climate, echoed these
concerns at a media briefing at the end of the day on Tuesday, stressing
the need to pass permitting reform when Congress is back in session.

“There is no way we can meet our goals if it takes 10 years” to approve
such projects, he said.

When asked how rising inflation, a weakening global economy, and the
energy crisis sparked by the Russian invasion of Ukraine are
complicating efforts for nations to meet and raise emissions targets
ahead of the UN climate conference next month in Egypt, Kerry said:
“Putin’s illegal invasion of another county has had an impact on the
overall economic situation, globally.” That has boosted energy prices
and exacerbated rising inflation, putting nations in a “tough spot,” he
said...
- -
“I’m convinced we will get to a low carbon/no carbon economy, a clean
energy economy,” Kerry said. “But I’m not convinced that we will get
there in time to avoid the worst consequences of what may take place on
our planet as a result of the climate crisis.”

Gates ended on a more squarely positive note.

He remains hopeful, he says, that the world will begin to significantly
accelerate emissions reductions in the coming years, as the private
sector and government continue to drive down the cost of clean
technologies. He added that to keep activists, entrepreneurs,
researchers, and others engaged in solving big problems, it’s crucial to
point out the progress we are making in areas that will pay off in real
ways for the climate.

“You can’t have people giving up,” he said.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/10/19/1061910/at-bill-gates-climate-conference-amazing-progress-and-depressing-trends//

/[ COP report from Reuters ]/
*'Massive gaps' seen in countries' plans to tackle climate change -study*
By Timothy Gardner
WASHINGTON, Oct 19 (Reuters) - The latest pledges by countries to tackle
global warming under the Paris Agreement are "woefully inadequate" to
avert a rise in global temperatures that scientists say will worsen
droughts, storms and floods, a report said on Wednesday.

The 2015 pact launched at a U.N. global climate summit requires 194
countries to detail their plans to fight climate change in what are
known as nationally determined contributions, or NDCs.
In pledges made through September, the NDCs would reduce global
emissions of greenhouse gases only 7% from 2019 levels by 2030, said the
report titled "The State of NDCs: 2022." It was written by the World
Resources Institute (WRI) global nonprofit research group.

Countries must strengthen their targets by about six times that, or at
least 43%, to align with what the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change says is enough to reach the Paris Agreement's goal of
limiting the global temperature rise by 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees
F), it said.
"It really looks like we're hitting a bit of a plateau," Taryn Fransen,
a senior fellow at WRI and author of the report said in an interview.
She added that the COVID-19 pandemic and economic woes may have mostly
capped countries' ambitions to boost their NDCs since 2021.

Current NDCs propose to reduce emissions by 5.5 gigatonnes compared with
the initial NDCs from 2015, nearly equal to eliminating the annual
emissions of the United States. But only 10% of that planned reduction
has been pledged since 2021.
On the bright side, Australia and Indonesia did boost their NDCs this
year. "That got us some progress," Fransen said, "but there hasn't been
a lot beyond that." Countries in the Paris Agreement are required to
update their NDCs by 2025.

"If the pace of improvement from 2016 to today continues, the world will
not only miss the Paris Agreement goals, but it will miss them by a long
shot," the report said.

Much of the focus of this year's global climate talks, to be held next
month in Egypt, will center on reducing emissions of methane, a
greenhouse gas far more potent than carbon dioxide during its first 20
years in the atmosphere. In an example of the work yet to be done, WRI
found that only 15 of the 119 countries that signed a Global Methane
Pledge launched last year included a specific, quantified methane
reduction target in their NDCs.

Fransen said economic and health benefits of reducing emissions, such as
the build-out of the energy transition and reduced air pollution, can
help build momentum to deeper cuts. "Seeing those benefits can only help
drive more ambitions, but it is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem," she
said.
https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/massive-gaps-seen-countries-plans-tackle-climate-change-study-2022-10-19/

- -

/[ UN Climate Change ]/
* "A wonderful recovery"*
As #COP27 in Egypt approaches, take a look back to the powerful speech
Sir David Attenborough delivered in Glasgow last year.

https://twitter.com/UNFCCC/status/1583052254504169473

/[ more from AP ]/
*Florida sees rise in flesh-eating bacteria amid Ian concerns*
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Florida has seen an increase in cases of
flesh-eating bacteria this year driven largely by a surge in the county
hit hardest by Hurricane Ian.

The state Department of Health reports that as of Friday there have been
65 cases of vibrio vulnificus infections and 11 deaths in Florida this
year. That compares with 34 cases and 10 deaths reported during all of 2021.

In Lee County, where Ian stormed ashore last month, the health
department reports 29 cases this year and four deaths...
https://apnews.com/article/hurricanes-health-florida-storms-hurricane-ian-6785d07506378030d50305c9d8ed928a

/[The news archive - looking back at 1984 ]/
/*October 21, 1984*/
October 21, 1984: In the second presidential debate between President
Ronald Reagan and Democratic challenger Walter Mondale, Reagan is asked
by panelist Marvin Kalb:

"Mr. President, perhaps the other side of the coin, a related question,
sir. Since World War II, the vital interests of the United States have
always been defined by treaty commitments and by Presidential
proclamations. Aside from what is obvious, such as NATO, for example,
which countries, which regions in the world do you regard as vital
national interests of this country, meaning that you would send American
troops to fight there if they were in danger?"

Reagan responds:

"Ah, well, now you've added a hypothetical there at the end, Mr. Kalb,
about where we would send troops in to fight. I am not going to make the
decision as to what the tactics could be, but obviously there are a
number of areas in the world that are of importance to us. One is the
Middle East, and that is of interest to the whole Western World and the
industrialized nations, because of the great supply of energy upon which
so many depend there."

(15:00-15:52)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF73k5-Hiqg

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*