[✔️] October 23, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Sun Oct 23 10:04:57 EDT 2022

/*October 23, 2022*/

/[ student activism -- disrupting university sports  ] /
PHILADELPHIA NEWS
*Penn students storm Franklin Field at halftime, protesting for climate
and community justice*
Penn students, who are a part of the Fossil Free Penn organization,
protested onto the field during the Quakers football game, looking for a
response from their demands.
by Isabella DiAmore
Oct 22, 2022
Students, parents, and alumni filled Franklin Field Saturday afternoon
for University of Pennsylvania’s homecoming game against Yale. But it
wasn’t until student protesters flooded the field that a football game —
disrupted for about an hour — turned into a message.

Penn’s band was wrapping up its halftime show, and moments before the
third quarter was set to begin, protesters rushed the field, holding
three banners:

“Save The UC Townhomes” ,  “Divest from Fossil Fuels”, “PAY PILOTs”
The protesters occupied the center of the field while security guards
swarmed around them. At the top of the stadium, another group of
students held a banner where Yale fans sat that asked: “Which side are
you on?”

Approximately 75 student protesters, members of the Fossil Free Penn
organization, planned the action after an ongoing fight with Penn’s
administration over climate issues and community justice.
Penn did not comment on the protest, but the students believe the
university knew about it beforehand. Security was high, students said,
and the fences put in place to block off the field Saturday “are not
normally there,” according to junior Sarah Sterinbach, an environmental
studies major.

The protest didn’t go over well with fans. Prior to taking the field,
the students handed fans an orange slip of paper stating, “We intend
only to delay the game, not end it. We believe Penn can be a champion
for climate and community justice.”
During the one-hour delay, people chanted “Get off the field!” and booed
the protesters. Many were escorted off by security, but 13 students
remained, holding the banners, before the game resumed. Penn would issue
a statement later that evening, which read in its entirety:

The intentional disruption of today’s football game was neither an
appropriate expression of free speech nor consistent with Penn’s open
expression guidelines. It delayed the start of the second half by
approximately one-hour, frustrating student-athletes from both schools,
disappointing fans and alumni who had come to watch the Homecoming
football game...
- -
Sophomore Sabirah Mahmud, who’s studying international relations, said
police told protesters “we’re going to fingerprint, take your pictures,
and we’re going to lock you up” if they didn’t get off the field. “This
was a police officer screaming at our faces, trying to scare us, acting
like we don’t know our rights. That honestly freaked me out.”
Police cuffed the remaining 13 students with zip ties and escorted them
out of the stadium. Those students were then put in a police SUV. A Penn
police officer declined to say where the students were taken and if they
were charged.

Even as other students watched protesters disappear into the SUV, they
continued chants such as, “Stop eviction, do something good with Penn
tuition.”...
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia/penn-students-yale-football-game-homecoming-protest-20221022.html

/[His Holiness in a video interview ]/
*Dalai Lama Has a Stark Warning for Humanity*
Now 87, the spiritual leader speaks with Emma Barnett about the critical
threat of global warming.
Bloomberg News
October 21, 2022 at 5:57 AM PDT
Tibetan Buddhism’s spiritual leader, the 14th Dalai Lama, issued a stark
warning to humanity about the grave threat posed by global warming while
pleading for compassion amid ongoing conflicts, especially Russia’s war
on Ukraine.

In an interview with Emma Barnett on Emma Barnett meets… from
Dharamshala, India, where he’s lived since fleeing Tibet in the 1950s,
the 87-year-old Nobel laureate emphasized the importance of addressing
the climate crisis while discussing war and what he sees as China’s
evolving relationship with religion.

The Dalai Lamas are believed by Tibetan Buddhists to be “manifestations
of Avalokiteshvara or Chenrezig, the Bodhisattva of Compassion and the
patron saint of Tibet,” as described by his official website. Key among
the Dalai Lama’s stated missions and that of his office are “the
cultivation of warm-heartedness and human values such as compassion,
forgiveness, tolerance, contentment and self-discipline.”
In his interview with Barnett, the Dalai Lama pointed to his own
personal experience with global warming, and how he has witnessed
diminished snow in the mountains near Lhasa. He began to focus on
raising awareness about ecological deterioration after having retired
more than a decade ago from Tibet’s government in exile. The spiritual
leader has continued to call for Beijing to improve the welfare of
Tibetans and preserve their culture.

He recounted to Barnett his encounter decades ago with Mao Zedong, in
which the Chinese leader called the Dalai Lama “scientific-minded” while
dismissing religion as “opium.”
“I was a little bit shocked but I just remained calm,” the Dalai Lama
said. He added that had Mao lived longer, he might have changed his view
on religion, which “really gives you inner strength, inner peace.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2022-10-20/dalai-lama-warns-world-could-become-a-ball-of-fire-emma-barnett-meets
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-21/video-the-dalai-lama-has-a-stark-warning-for-humanity-about-global-warming

/[  using the courts for change ]/
*New Jersey Joins Other States in Suing Fossil Fuel Industry, Claiming
Links to Climate Change*
ExxonMobil calls the lawsuit a waste of taxpayers’ money that won’t help
curb global warming.
By Jon Hurdle - October 18, 2022
New Jersey became the latest U.S. state to sue the fossil fuel industry
over climate change, alleging it knew for decades that emissions from
its products contributed to global warming, but lied to protect its
profits and deter efforts to curb greenhouse gases.

State Attorney General Matthew Platkin announced a suit on Tuesday
against five major oil companies and their trade association, the
American Petroleum Institute, saying the industry failed to warn the
public that its products were dangerous, and sought instead to sow
public doubts that fossil fuel emissions were linked to climate change.

“They went to great lengths to hide the truth and mislead the people of
New Jersey and the world,” Platkin said, in launching the suit against
ExxonMobil,  Shell, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, BP and the API. “These
companies put their profits ahead of our safety.”...
- -
The new suit alleges that the oil and gas companies researched the link
between fossil-fuel consumption and climate change as early as the 1950s
and by the mid-1960s gained a “comprehensive understanding” of how oil
and gas use created adverse climate impacts.

It argued that the defendants’ actions disproportionately harmed people
living in low-income areas, including communities of color that are
subject to cumulative environmental and public health threats because of
climate change.

“Taxpayers will be saddled with billions in expenses to protect
communities … and to mitigate those harms by transitioning to non-fossil
fuel energy generation—costs that should be borne by the defendants,”
the Attorney General’s office said in a statement.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18102022/new-jersey-big-oil-lawsuit/

/[ good reference   ] /
*A USER GUIDE TO THE INFLATION REDUCTION ACT*
How New Investments Will Deliver Good Jobs, Climate Action, and Health
Benefits
The transformational power of the Inflation Reduction Act cannot be
overstated. This legislation—passed by Senate and House Democrats and
signed into law by President Joe Biden on August 16, 2022—will
revitalize U.S. manufacturing, grow clean energy, and support and create
good union jobs across the country. It will tackle climate change by
reducing emissions up to 42% by 2030 and create the good-paying, union
jobs we need to give all workers the opportunity for a middle-class
life. The Inflation Reduction Act demonstrates that we can have both
good jobs and a clean environment.

The Inflation Reduction Act will:

    Grow clean energy and drastically reduce emissions while creating
    high-quality jobs in the clean economy through proven standards that
    lift up job quality;

    Make historic investments to expand clean energy and electric
    vehicle (EV) manufacturing;

    Transform the industrial sector to reduce emissions and build our
    own supply chains for vital technologies;

    Accelerate clean vehicle deployment and a whole-of-government
    approach to address this source of greenhouse gas and health-harming
    emissions, while also creating and preserving good union jobs,
    supporting and growing a domestic supply chain for vehicle
    components and technologies, and improving mobility and air quality
    in our neighborhoods;

    Establish a host of critical investments in clean energy
    infrastructure, transmission, energy efficient homes and buildings,
    affordable housing, and resilient and healthy communities; and

    Sustain and expand high-quality jobs to workers and in communities
    that need them the most, including low-income workers and workers
    living in communities that have been hit hard by energy transition
    or job outsourcing.

An analysis from the Political Economy Research Institute (PERI) at the
University of Massachusetts Amherst commissioned by the BlueGreen
Alliance found the more than 100 climate, energy, and environmental
investments in the Inflation Reduction Act will create more than 9
million jobs over the next decade—an average of nearly 1 million jobs
each year (see Table 1).
https://www.bluegreenalliance.org/site/a-user-guide-to-the-inflation-reduction-act/

/[ Homeland Security News Wire ] /
*Assessment of Ocean Warming Highlights Future Climate Risks*
Published 21 October 2022Share |
More than 90 percent of heat generated by global warming is absorbed by
the oceans, and the Atlantic Ocean and southern oceans are warming much
faster than the Pacific Ocean and Indian Ocean. A warmer ocean leads to
more intense storms, more deadly rainfall and flooding, and more
powerful typhoons and hurricanes.

A research study just published in Nature Reviews provides new
information about how much the planet has warmed and what warming we may
expect in the coming decades. It shows what will happen if we don’t take
action to slow global warming.
- -
A warmer ocean brings tremendous consequences on the Earth. Not just to
sea life but to the weather patterns across the planet and to the food
chain. A warmer ocean leads to more intense storms, more deadly rainfall
and flooding, and more powerful typhoons and hurricanes. A consequence
of warming is that parts of the planet will become drier, with more heat
waves and droughts. Other parts will become wetter as rainfalls happen
in bigger downbursts.  Coastal regions are increasingly vulnerable in
association with rising sea levels, storm surges and adverse impacts on
ecosystems.

2022 already has experienced a wide range of climate disasters: heat
waves, flooding, heavy rainfalls, strong hurricanes etc. If the current
weather is wild, just wait for the coming decades… we haven’t seen
anything yet.
https://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20221021-assessment-of-ocean-warming-highlights-future-climate-risks

/[  A classic video --- a key, fundamental lecture on climate science
and the early IPCC politics.   Watch and bookmark ]/
*Climate Change: Is the Science "Settled"?*
  May 13, 2010  (February 4, 2010) Stephen Schneider, professor of
biology at Stanford and senior fellow at the Woods Institute for the
Environment, unpacks the political and scientific debates surrounding
climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmlHbt5jja4

/[  superb video ]/
*The Complete History of the Earth: Carboniferous Period*
60,481 views  Oct 13, 2022  For 65% off with HelloFresh plus FREE
shipping, use code PALEOANALYSIS65 at https://bit.ly/3SL189O!
The Carboniferous Globe 1:44
Sharks Claim the Sea 4:58
Swamp Monsters and Giant Bugs 7:41
Breaking Ties to the Water 13:45
Carboniferous Rainforest Collapse 16:55

#historyoftheearth #eon #epoch #geology #paleoanalysis #stemmammal
#carboniferous
Moving forward through time, we now come to a very important and
interesting chapter in the history of life. The Carboniferous is a time
when the land was truly fully populated for the first time with plants
and animals. As a global rainforest spread across the world and our
tetrapod ancestors had to contend with massive bugs super charged by the
high oxygen atmosphere.

Check out My Linktree to join me on social media!:
https://linktr.ee/PaleoAnalysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ATQsL3NMU

/[ I have noticed a YouTube bias //"It does push users into increasingly
narrow ideological ranges of content in what we might call evidence of a
(very) mild ideological echo chamber" //]/
*Echo Chambers, Rabbit Holes, and Algorithmic Bias: How YouTube
Recommends Content to Real Users*
WORKING PAPER
We find that YouTube’s recommendation algorithm doesn’t lead the vast
majority of users down extremist rabbit holes — but does push users into
mild ideological echo chambers and toward moderately conservative content

CITATION Brown, Megan A., James Bisbee, Angela Lai, Richard Bonneau,
Jonathan Nagler, and Joshua A. Tucker.
May 11, 2022
*Abstract*

    To what extent does the YouTube recommendation algorithm push users
    into echo chambers, ideologically biased content, or rabbit holes?
    Despite growing popular concern, recent work suggests that the
    recommendation algorithm is not pushing users into these echo
    chambers. However, existing research relies heavily on the use of
    anonymous data collection that does not account for the personalized
    nature of the recommendation algorithm. We asked a sample of real
    users to install a browser extension that downloaded the list of
    videos they were recommended. We instructed these users to start on
    an assigned video and then click through 20 sets of recommendations,
    capturing what they were being shown in real time as they used the
    platform logged into their real accounts. Using a novel method to
    estimate the ideology of a YouTube video, we demonstrate that the
    YouTube recommendation algorithm does, in fact, push real users into
    mild ideological echo chambers where, by the end of the data
    collection task, liberals and conservatives received different
    distributions of recommendations from each other, though this
    difference is small. While we find evidence that this difference
    increases the longer the user followed the recommendation algorithm,
    we do not find evidence that many go down `rabbit holes' that lead
    them to ideologically extreme content. Finally, we find that YouTube
    pushes all users, regardless of ideology, towards moderately
    conservative and an increasingly narrow range of ideological content
    the longer they follow YouTube's recommendations.

https://csmapnyu.org/research/echo-chambers-rabbit-holes-and-algorithmic-bias-how-youtube-recommends-content-to-real-users

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*October 23, 2007*/
October 23, 2007: Dr. Julie Gerberding of the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention addresses a US Senate committee regarding the
health risks of climate change. Her testimony was extensively edited by
the Bush White House to dramatically downplay the severity of the risks.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2007/10/23/17139/gerberding-global-warming/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/science/earth/24cnd-climate.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2008/07/08/174078/burnett-cheney-boiling/

http://www.c-span.org/video/?201698-1/HumanImp

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*