[✔️] October 25, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Tue Oct 25 07:57:59 EDT 2022

/*October 25, 2022*/

[ Associated Press -- Climate Justice must define the adaptation ]
*Climate questions: Who is most vulnerable?*
Oct 24, 2022   The impacts of climate change are felt across the globe,
but not equally. Who is most vulnerable to climate change? (Oct. 24)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAn8drexwjY

/[ The View audience not amused by Ted Cruz  - text and audio ]/
*U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz’s appearance on Monday’s episode of “The View” was
interrupted multiple time by protesters in the audience.*

While Cruz was speaking about inflation on the ABC daytime show, a group
of women began repeatedly shouting what sounded like “Cover climate now!”

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg responded by saying, ““Ladies, excuse us. Let us
do our job! We hear what you all have to say but you gotta go. You gotta
let us do our job.” Fellow co-host Sunny Hostin then explained “They’re
accusing us of not covering climate change.” Co-host Alyssa Farah
Griffin joked with Cruz after the interruption, “They weren’t even
protesting you.”...
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/the-view-ted-cruz-protesters-1235412522/

/[ COP27 is off balance before official start ]/
*Egypt shuts down event spaces on first Monday of COP27 in blow to NGOs *
The government of Egypt has decided there will be no pavilion events on
the first Monday of COP27, according to an email seen by the Guardian.
The paper continues: “NGOs have raised concerns because they have
carefully targeted their rosters of events to raise key issues they say
must be addressed at the two-week-long conference. They fear the
cancellations could restrict debate and undermine the role of non-state
actors in the event...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/24/egypt-shuts-down-event-spaces-on-first-monday-of-cop27-in-blow-to-ngos

[ US Treasury Dept has an added burden .... ]
*IG: Climate change to add to Treasury Department’s workload as well*
Eric White    @FEDERALNEWSCAST
October 24, 2022
- -
Of the five management challenges the Treasury Department faces, only
the threat of climate change is new for 2023. Treasury’s inspector
general said it added climate change to the list of four others from
previous years. The IG said climate change is a new management challenge
because of the role Treasury will play working with other agencies,
foreign governments and international financial institutions on global
action to address climate change-created economic and financial crises.
The other management and performance challenges include cybersecurity,
IT acquisition and program management, pandemic relief, and anti-money
laundering and terrorist financing.
- -
https://federalnewsnetwork.com/federal-newscast/2022/10/ig-climate-change-to-add-to-treasury-departments-workload-as-well/

/[  Increase your understanding with a CSI tool = Climate Shift Index --
1 min video ] /
*Global Climate Shift Index*
Oct 24, 2022  Climate Central unveils a new resource to quantify the
link between climate change and the local weather -- anywhere in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvhhWA-m56g

- -

/[ try it --  select a location, a date, a type, and temperature -- see
the map   ]/
*What's the CSI scale?*
The CSI is a categorical scale, with the categories defined by the ratio
of how common (or likely) a temperature is in today's altered climate
vs. how common it would be in a climate without human-caused climate
change. For the positive CSI conditions (which occur much more often
than the negative), we assigned a simple descriptor to these events (see
table).
https://www.climatecentral.org/tools/climate-shift-index

/[ One minute video from one company making machines to remove CO2 ]/
*Why do we need a technology that removes CO₂ from the air? | Climeworks*
Sep 23, 2022  We are at a point where even stopping all CO₂ emissions is
not enough to reach our climate goals.

To be more precise, the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(@IPCC) estimates that direct air capture and storage needs to remove up
to 310 billion tons of CO₂ by 2100 in order to limit global warming to
1.5°C.

Join the fight against global warming and remove CO₂ from the air with
Climeworks today: https://bit.ly/3eZshXT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwY9b2XzLk

- -

/[ where low audio quality is an inverse to the importance of the
content -- video ]/
*Climeworks' DAC Summit 2022 - Keynote from Prof. Dr. Johan Rockström*
Jul 18, 2022  Keynote from Prof. Dr. Johan Rockström: Holding the 1.5° C
line - Towards a sustainable future.

Johan Rockström is Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact
Research, Professor at the Institute of Earth and Environmental Science
at Potsdam University, and Professor in Water Systems and Global
Sustainability at Stockholm University.

Rockström gained international recognition with the development of the
Planetary Boundaries framework, which has since become a standard of
sustainability science. He is deeply involved in research activities
covering a range of topics related to the Earth System and global
sustainability in the Anthropocene.

In addition to his research endeavors, which have been widely used to
guide policy, Rockström provided strategic scientific guidance as a
member of the European Commission’s Expert Group ‘Mission Board for
Adaptation to Climate Change, including Societal Transformation’ and
various scientific academies, including the Royal Swedish Academy of
Sciences and the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
Moreover, he is the Chief Scientist of Conservation International, as
well as chairing the advisory board for the EAT Initiative on Health,
Food and Sustainability, the Earth League, Future Earth (co-chair), the
United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the
Earth Commission.

Before becoming Director of the Potsdam Institute of Climate Impact
Research, Rockström founded the Stockholm Resilience Centre at Stockholm
University and was Executive Director at the Stockholm Environment
Institute. He obtained a Master of Science (MSc) at the Swedish
University of Agricultural Sciences, a Diplôme d’Agronomie Approfondie
(DAA) at Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon, a Licentiate of
Philosophy (PhLic) at Stockholm University, and completed a doctorate
(Ph.D.) in Natural Resources Management at Stockholm University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKf2szsGaMI

/[ an organization ]/
*Clean Energy Transition Institute*
Independent, nonpartisan research and analysis nonprofit dedicated to
accelerating an equitable clean energy transition in the Northwest.
Mission
The Clean Energy Transition Institute is an independent, nonpartisan
research and analysis nonprofit dedicated to accelerating an equitable
clean energy transition in the Northwest. We use an independent,
nonpartisan, systemic, economy-wide lens to advance technical, economic,
and equitable decarbonization solutions focused on the unique
characteristics of our four-state region, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and
Washington.
https://www.cleanenergytransition.org/about

/[New Activism ]/
*You can do something about the climate emergency. Start now.*
Each week, we send a strategic, step-by-step climate action plan then
take action together.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Be bold. Get political.
You have more influence than you realize. If more of us get off the
sidelines and press for bold leadership, we will move the needle together.
https://www.climatechangemakers.org/

/[ Oops, not all activism events work as planned  ]/
*Climate protesters glue themselves to Porsche museum but needed to go
potty*
Staff simply left, turning off heat and lights rather than calling the
police
JONATHON RAMSEY
Oct 21st 2022
Climate change activists protesting industries and governments had a
busy summer in Europe. A relentless outfit called Just Stop Oil in the
UK has created disruptions everywhere from major highways to the British
Formula 1 Grand Prix, and more recently, they threw tomato soup on a Van
Gogh painting at the National Gallery in London. Across the Channel, the
Tour de France cycling race was forced to pause during several stages by
climate activists who'd glued themselves to the road. Over France's
eastern border, a group called Scientist Rebellion took the sticky route
when nine members glued their hands to the floor of the Porsche pavilion
at Volkswagen's Autostadt museum in Wolfsburg on Thursday.

The protesters have several requests for VW Group CEO Oliver Blume as
listed in a Twitter thread about the event, among them: support for
capping the maximum speed on German highways to 100 kilometers per hour
(62 mph); hastening VW's moves to lower its carbon emissions; canceling
the debt and interest payments "owed to VW by the Global South"; and
"pressure the [government] to comply with our demands."

Such protests are happening so often that there's now a standard
back-and-forth. A group disrupts traffic or makes a scene. Authorities
are called in almost immediately. The media follow, capturing the ruckus
as protesters are unglued or unchained or coaxed down. The Autostadt is
a VW gem among the Wolfsburg factory complex, with the immense glass
storage tower shuffling completed vehicles awaiting delivery and
pavilions for Audi, Seat, Lamborghini, and Porsche. This should have
made it the perfect place for the back-and-forth, a magnet for police
intervention and media.

Instead, staff at the VW museum ignored the playbook. Instead of calling
Wolfsburg police immediately, staff "recognized the right to protest,"
then closed the pavilion for the evening and left — turning off the
light and heat as they walked out...
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/10/21/climate-protesters-glue-themselves-to-porsche-museum-germany/

/[The news archive - looking back at the time when the verb "to trump"
was very useful ]/
/*October 25, 2014*/
October 25, 2014: The New York Times reports:

    *Pragmatism on Climate Change Trumps Politics at Local Level Across
    U.S.*
    By John Schwartz
    Oct. 24, 2014
    MIAMI BEACH — As she planned her run for the Florida House of
    Representatives this year, Kristin Jacobs told her team that she
    wanted her campaign to address the effects of climate change. Her
    advisers were initially skeptical, noting that voters typically said
    they cared about the environment, but considered the issue less
    urgent than the economy and health care.

    Ms. Jacobs, a commissioner for Broward County, pressed her case,
    arguing that few issues were more critical to residents of southeast
    Florida than street flooding at high tide — sometimes even on sunny
    days — and ocean water seeping into their drinking water. “It’s how
    you ask the question,” she said. “Is clean water important to you?”

    Voters have answered yes so far, handing Ms. Jacobs a victory in the
    Democratic primary in August with more than 76 percent of the vote.
    Opinion polls suggest she will cruise to victory in November.

    The results were “shocking,” said Steven J. Vancore, a pollster and
    political consultant advising Ms. Jacobs.
    While politicians are increasingly willing to include environmental
    messages in their campaigns, many at the national level still steer
    clear of the politically charged topic of climate change. But in
    communities across the country where the effects are lapping at the
    doorsteps of residents, pragmatism often trumps politics, and
    candidates as well as elected officials across the political
    spectrum are embracing the issue.

    Some local Republican officials in Florida and elsewhere say they
    can no longer follow the lead of state and national party leaders
    like Senator Marco Rubio and Gov. Rick Scott, who have publicly
    questioned whether human activity has had an effect on climate
    change. (Though both have recently taken a more vague “I’m not a
    scientist” stance.) The Center for American Progress Action Fund, a
    left-leaning advocacy group in Washington, tracks the statements of
    American political figures on climate change and reports that more
    than 58 percent of Republicans in Congress have denied a link
    between human activity and global warming.

    But in the Florida Keys, George Neugent, a Republican county
    commissioner, said that while people might disagree about what to do
    about climate change, the effects of flooding and hurricanes were
    less ambiguous. “Clearly rising tides are going to affect us,” he said.

    That is leading to discussions about a broad range of possible
    at the local golf course to paspalum, which tolerates salty water.

    “I have to be very careful when I say some things, especially to the
    skeptics,” Mr. Neugent said, adding that he avoided arguments about
    the science of climate change. “It’s not worth the effort or the
    time to prove what clearly is a factual situation. We’re living with
    it.”

    James Brainard, the Republican mayor of Carmel, Ind., has sought to
    be active on climate change issues. The city has reduced its energy
    use with fuel-efficient city cars and small trucks, LED lighting and
    so-called green buildings. It also pipes the methane gas from the
    treatment of wastewater into boilers that help produce so-called
    biosolids that can be used as fertilizer.

    “I don’t think we want to be the party that believes in dirty air
    and dirty water,” Mr. Brainard said, noting that the Environmental
    Protection Agency was founded under President Richard M. Nixon, a
    Republican. Despite the broad agreement among scientists on climate
    change, he added, “the problem in D.C. is that a lot of people are
    making a lot of money keeping people mad at each other.”

    Bob Inglis, a former Republican congressman from South Carolina who
    is working to get members of his party to accept climate change and
    identify solutions, said his argument was not a hard sell for local
    officials “who are in the business of fixing things, not just
    talking about them.” His hope, he added, is that the viewpoint
    “eventually percolates up to the people making grand pronouncements.”

    Across the United States, a growing number of state and local
    governments are pulling together plans to deal with the effects of
    climate change, as a new tracking tool from the Georgetown Climate
    Center at Georgetown University Law Center shows.

    The Obama administration, hoping to build on momentum at the local
    level, has created a task force of state and local officials who are
    active on the issues. Ms. Jacobs and Mr. Brainard are members. The
    group is preparing a report for the federal government this fall,
    with hundreds of recommendations for local action and a national role.

    Commissioner Paula Brooks of Franklin County, Ohio, which includes
    Columbus, the state capital, said there had been a 37 percent
    increase in flooding in the area since 1958, as heavy rains have
    overwhelmed aging drainage systems.

    The runoff from such rains has carried fertilizer into Lake Erie,
    contributing to an algae crisis that forced Toledo, Ohio, to ban the
    use of tap water for several days in August.

    “I really see this as a very bipartisan issue that people are
    interested in talking about,” said Ms. Brooks, a Democrat who also
    serves on Mr. Obama’s climate task force. “These weather impacts are
    coming home to roost.”

    Patsy Parker, the mayor of Perdido Beach, Ala., said ruinous
    flooding in April washed away roads and left a gully 12 feet deep.
    As much as 30 inches of rain fell. That the town is by the Gulf of
    Mexico makes it especially vulnerable to hurricanes.

    Ms. Parker is also a member of the president’s climate change task
    force, but she said that being on the panel had not bolstered her
    popularity in the predominantly Republican region of southern Alabama.

    She claims no party affiliation, and says that she does not talk
    about climate change with her constituents, nor about whether the
    weather crises might get worse. Discussing climate change in a
    community like hers, she said, just stirs people up.

    “I leave that conversation up to the experts,” she added, “the
    scientists who have much more knowledge and training than I do.”

    Ms. Parker does welcome interest in protecting Perdido Beach from
    the ravages of severe weather. “Even if it gets no worse, it’s bad
    enough that we need to do what we can,” she said.

    But climate change has drawn significant interest in South Florida.
    This month, more than 600 people attended the Southeast Florida
    Climate Leadership Summit in Miami Beach, where Ms. Jacobs of
    Broward County and other officials from the region described their
    work on more than 100 environmental initiatives. The projects are
    intended to make that part of the state more resilient and energy
    efficient, and to protect groundwater from creeping salinization.

    John P. Holdren, Mr. Obama’s science adviser, and Mike Boots, who
    leads the Council on Environmental Quality at the White House,
    attended the event in a show of support.

    “You simply don’t have time to endure the incredibly frustrating
    political debate that is consuming a lot of the oxygen in the city
    where we work,” Mr. Boots, referring to Washington, told the
    attendees in Miami Beach. “You’re acting."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/science/pragmatism-on-climate-change-trumps-politics-at-local-level-across-us.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*