[✔️] October 28, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Fri Oct 28 05:59:18 EDT 2022

/*October 28, 2022*/

/[ warning from top climate scientist ]/
Prof Michael E. Mann
@MichaelEMann
*I fear what we may be witnessing right now is that private/corporate
ownership of the media has now become fundamentally incompatible with
democracy.*
https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelEMann/status/1585082468993941504

/[  Widely ignored, specifically denied, here now we read, and we will
feel it tomorrow ]/
*World close to ‘irreversible’ climate breakdown, warn major studies*
The UN environment agency’s report found there was ‘no credible pathway
to 1.5C in place’ amid ‘woefully inadequate’ progress on cutting carbon
emissions. Photograph: Lukas Schulze/Getty Images
Key UN reports published in last two days warn urgent and collective
action needed – as oil firms report astronomical profits

by Damian Carrington Environment editor
Thu 27 Oct 2022
The climate crisis has reached a “really bleak moment”, one of the
world’s leading climate scientists has said, after a slew of major
reports laid bare how close the planet is to catastrophe.

Collective action is needed by the world’s nations more now than at any
point since the second world war to avoid climate tipping points, Prof
Johan Rockström said, but geopolitical tensions are at a high.

He said the world was coming “very, very close to irreversible changes …
time is really running out very, very fast”.

Emissions must fall by about half by 2030 to meet the internationally
agreed target of 1.5C of heating but are still rising, the reports
showed – at a time when oil giants are making astronomical amounts of money.

On Thursday, Shell and TotalEnergies both doubled their quarterly
profits to about $10bn. Oil and gas giants have enjoyed soaring profits
as post-Covid demand jumps and after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The
sector is expected to amass $4tn in 2022, strengthening calls for heavy
windfall taxes to address the cost of living crisis and fund the clean
energy transition...
All three of the key UN agencies have produced damning reports in the
last two days. The UN environment agency’s report found there was “no
credible pathway to 1.5C in place” and that “woefully inadequate”
progress on cutting carbon emissions means the only way to limit the
worst impacts of the climate crisis is a “rapid transformation of
societies”.

Current pledges for action by 2030, even if delivered in full, would
mean a rise in global heating of about 2.5C, a level that would condemn
the world to catastrophic climate breakdown, according to the UN’s
climate agency. Only a handful of countries have ramped up their plans
in the last year, despite having promised to do so at the Cop26 UN
climate summit in Glasgow last November...
- -
Climate experts agree that every action that limits global heating
reduces the suffering endured by people from climate impacts. “The 1.5C
target is now near impossible, but every fraction of a degree will
equate to massive avoided damages for generations to come,” said Prof
Dave Reay, at the University of Edinburgh, UK.

Röckstrom said: “Despite the fact that the situation is depressing and
very challenging, I would strongly advise everyone to act in business or
policy or society or science. The deeper we fall into the dark abyss of
risk, the more we have to make efforts to climb out of that hole. It’s
not as if we don’t know what to do – it’s rather that we’re not doing
what is necessary.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/world-close-to-irreversible-climate-breakdown-warn-major-studies

- -

/[  COP 27 and the sentiment of much of the world ] /
*Climate Pledges Are Falling Short, and a Chaotic Future Looks More Like
Reality*
With an annual summit next month, the United Nations assessed progress
on countries’ past emissions commitments. Severe disruption would be
hard to avoid on the current trajectory.
- -
Countries around the world are failing to live up to their commitments
to fight climate change, pointing Earth toward a future marked by more
intense flooding, wildfires, drought, heat waves and species extinction,
according to a report issued Wednesday by the United Nations.
- -
An analysis by the World Resource Institute found that current promises
by nations would reduce global greenhouse gas emissions by around 7
percent from 2019 levels, even though six times that, a reduction of 43
percent, would be necessary to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

“Of the major economies, we have seen a few countries update this year.
India formalized its commitments; Australia updated theirs when they got
a new government in place; Indonesia followed through,” said Ms. Fransen
of the World Resources Institute. “But each of those countries had
failed to update their N.D.C.s until now, so they are making up for lost
time.”
- -
John Kerry, President Biden’s climate envoy, called on China, Russia,
Saudi Arabia and Mexico as well as all other leading economies to align
their climate policies with the goal of constraining global warming to
1.5 degrees.

“We all know the top 20 economies are responsible for 80 percent of
emissions,” Mr. Kerry said during a speech Tuesday at the Council on
Foreign Relations. Their pledges should be strengthened this year, he said.

“That’s what people agreed to do,” he said. “It takes all to get the job
done.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/26/climate/un-climate-pledges-warming.html?

/
//[ Novice news reporter worth viewing -- her video is a climate recap
of top stories - worthy ]/
*Meloni wants to make climate change a right-wing issue, Apple tackles
supply chain emissions | Recap*
Oct 27, 2022  If you like the work I do, please consider joining the
Beckisphere Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/beckisphere or buying me
a cup of coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/beckisphere. Remember to
talk about the climate crisis every day and support your local news
organizations!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=X1NRfExRtkQ&feature=share&utm_source=EKLEiJECCKjOmKnC5IiRIQ&t=47

/[ Brazil election outcome will affect the world ]/
*Future of Amazon rainforest at stake in Brazil's presidential election*
3,636 views  Oct 26, 2022  On Sunday, millions of people across Brazil
will vote in the final round of its presidential election. They'll
choose between right-wing incumbent Jair Bolsonaro, and former President
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva. To many, the future of the Amazon rainforest
is on the ballot. Special correspondent Jane Ferguson has the story
produced in partnership with the Pulitzer Center.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msW9_pwitck

/[ quite sensible, but certainly radical economics ]/
*The Most Sustainable Economy in the World | Kate Raworth*
Oct 26, 2022  Kate Raworth is a renegade economist focused on making
economics fit for 21st century realities. Senior Associate at Oxford
University’s Environmental Change Institute, she is the creator of the
Doughnut of social and planetary boundaries, and co-founder of Doughnut
Economics Action Lab.

Kate joins me to discuss Doughnut Economics, her radical theory of a
regenerative and distributive economics model which protects both planet
and citizens. This is an economy which prioritises well-being, rejects
the market principles and profit-maximisation, and enables the
principles of community and creativity to flourish.

We discuss the fallacy of growth and neoliberalism, the extractivism of
“developed” nations, long-termism vs short-termism, and the principles
of regeneration and distribution. Kate also shares success stories from
the communities and local governments implementing the doughnut model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7jjlKoLuCY

/[  80 yr old scientist, Peter Carter says that denial is worst trait of
our condition ]/
*Climate Emergency Denial Evil*
Oct 22, 2022  On track to an unlivable climate, with fossil fuel CO2
emissions at record high, the denial campaign has morphed into climate
emergency denial, to keep the fossil industry burning carbon, and
burning up the planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0jeXdfxLc

/[ nothing changes unless there is money to be made, or money to be lost ]/
*France becomes latest country to leave controversial energy charter treaty*
Quitting the ECT, which protects fossil fuel investors from policy
changes that might threaten their profits, was ‘coherent’ with Paris
climate deal, Macron said
Arthur Neslen
Fri 21 Oct 2022
France has become the latest country to pull out of the controversial
energy charter treaty (ECT), which protects fossil fuel investors from
policy changes that might threaten their profits.

Speaking after an EU summit in Brussels on Friday, French president,
Emmanuel Macron, said: “France has decided to withdraw from the energy
charter treaty.” Quitting the ECT was “coherent” with the Paris climate
deal, he added.

Macron’s statement follows a recent vote by the Polish parliament to
leave the 52-nation treaty and announcements by Spain and the
Netherlands that they too wanted out of the scheme.

Earlier on Friday, an ally of Macron’s in Brussels, the French MEP
Pascale Canfin, said: “We need to exit the energy charter treaty because
we end up being sued by multinational companies through private
tribunals which prevent us carrying out our climate policies.”

The European Commission has proposed a “modernisation” of the agreement,
which would end the writ of the treaty’s secret investor-state courts
between EU members. That plan is expected to be discussed at a meeting
in Mongolia next month.

A French government official said Paris would not try to block the
modernisation blueprint within the EU or at the meeting in Mongolia.
“But whatever happens, France is leaving,” the official said.

While France was “willing to coordinate a withdrawal with others, we
don’t see that there is a critical mass ready to engage with that in the
EU bloc as a whole”, the official added.

The French withdrawal will take about a year to be completed, and in
that time, discussion in Paris will likely move on to ways of
neutralising or reducing the duration of a “sunset clause” in the ECT
that allows retrospective lawsuits. Progress on that issue is thought
possible by sources close to ongoing legal negotiations on the issue.

The energy charter treaty was set up in 1994 to protect western energy
firms working in former Soviet countries. It allows investors to sue
governments which enact policies that could undermine their expected
financial returns.

However, critics have estimated that the final cost in compensation to
fossil fuel companies could rise to more than a trillion dollars.

In August, the UK oil firm Rockhopper received a £210m award as
compensation for an Italian offshore drilling ban. Italy has also
withdrawn from the treaty.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/21/france-becomes-latest-country-to-leave-controversial-energy-charter-treaty

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*October 28, 2005*/
October 28, 2005: The New York Times reports:

"A sudden interruption in oil supplies sent prices and profits
skyrocketing, prompting Exxon's chief executive to call a news
conference right after his company announced that it had chalked up
record earnings.

'I am not embarrassed,' he said. 'This is no windfall.'

"That was January 1974, a few months after Arab oil producers cut back
on supplies and imposed their short-lived embargo on exports to the
United States. Oil executives, including J. K. Jamieson, Exxon's chief
executive at the time, were put on the defensive, forced to justify
their soaring profits while the nation was facing its first energy crisis.

"Three decades later, their successors are again facing contentions that
oil companies are making too much money and have failed to expand
production.

"Politicians and other critics are asking why the industry allowed its
refining capacity to tighten.

"Exxon Mobil, the world's largest oil company, said yesterday that its
third-quarter net income jumped 75 percent, to $9.92 billion. Its profit
in the first nine months of this year - $25.42 billion - already equals
its full-year earnings for 2004. This year's sales, which topped $100
billion in the last quarter, are expected to exceed those of Wal-Mart.

"Another oil giant, Royal Dutch Shell, reported a 68 percent jump in
profits yesterday, to $9.03 billion. Chevron is expected to post a
profit of more than $4 billion today.

"This year is shaping up as an exceptionally lucrative one for the oil
industry, thanks to strong global demand, tight supplies and high prices
for oil and natural gas. While the idea that the Bush administration was
considering imposing a windfall profits tax was knocked down yesterday
by officials, longstanding resentments against Big Oil are resurfacing
and could end up imposing some additional burdens on the industry.

"The sense that government should step in to curb the phenomenal wealth
and power often enjoyed by oil companies goes back to Exxon Mobil's
corporate ancestor from the late 19th century, the Rockefeller oil trust
known as Standard Oil.

"Today, Republicans and Democrats alike, aware of the politically
sensitive issue of high energy prices, are putting increasing pressure
on the oil and gas industry to return some of its profits. The ideas
include forcing the industry to invest in more refining capacity, to
increase inventories to cushion energy shocks, or to provide money
directly to the government program that helps low-income people pay
heating bills."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/28/business/28oil.html?_r=0&pagewanted=print

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*